PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get their truck/jeep lifted?

OU Adonis
8/2/2007, 12:43 PM
I was wondering how much it would cost labor wise to put in a 6 inch suspension lift on my jeep. I have priced most of the parts I want, but I haven't a clue on the labor.

StuIsTheMan
8/2/2007, 12:45 PM
I was wondering how much it would cost labor wise to put in a 6 inch suspension lift on my jeep. I have priced most of the parts I want, but I haven't a clue on the labor.

Do it yerself wuss

(Beating vet to the punch:D)

OU Adonis
8/2/2007, 12:48 PM
Do it yerself wuss

(Beating vet to the punch:D)

Yeah I know!

From what I have read a 4" lift with 33" tires is no big deal, but once you put a 6" lift with 35" tires, it becomes tricky. That raises the center of gravity by like 9 inches on my jeep which means I might have to do some modifications.

I am a mechanical nub.

olevetonahill
8/2/2007, 12:48 PM
I think around here the Total cost parts and Labor runs around 600 aint sure tho .

Mjcpr
8/2/2007, 12:51 PM
Whatever it is will pale in comparison to your fuel bill.

Boarder
8/2/2007, 12:51 PM
Call Keith's Auto in Goldsby and ask him what he'd charge. 288-0167

OU Adonis
8/2/2007, 12:53 PM
Whatever it is will pale in comparison to your fuel bill.

That aint a joke. I run stock tires right now with a 4.0 liter (litre for you english types) and it costs me 40-50 bucks to go to tulsa and back from OKC.

Boomer.....
8/2/2007, 01:09 PM
I put a 3" body on a jeep a few years back.

I know that doesn't help at all. :O

AlbqSooner
8/2/2007, 09:02 PM
If you actually intend to take the Jeep off road and get your money's worth out of its capabilites, 6 inches is too much lift. Rasing the center of gravity that much is inviting a rollover. If you go ahead with the project, make sure you have a good roll cage and another vehicle along to turn you back over. Hiking is a pleasure but walking is a pain.

Jerk
8/2/2007, 09:07 PM
What's your gear ratio? I have 3.07 in mine and it sucks donky balls. I'd like to get 4.11's and a real Dana44 rear, then lift it 3"

OU Adonis
8/2/2007, 09:38 PM
If you actually intend to take the Jeep off road and get your money's worth out of its capabilites, 6 inches is too much lift. Rasing the center of gravity that much is inviting a rollover. If you go ahead with the project, make sure you have a good roll cage and another vehicle along to turn you back over. Hiking is a pleasure but walking is a pain.

I was under the impression I had to go with a 6" suspension lift if I wanted to go with 35" tires. I was originally going to go with a 4" lift and 33"s.

Harry Beanbag
8/2/2007, 11:50 PM
What's your gear ratio? I have 3.07 in mine and it sucks donky balls. I'd like to get 4.11's and a real Dana44 rear, then lift it 3"

That's the beauty of a Rubicon, it already has that. When my factory tires wear out all I need is a lift (and new tires of course).

Turd_Ferguson
8/2/2007, 11:53 PM
I've read that anything over 3" in the Jeeps is giving some people the "death wobble". Something in the suspension that has to be beefed up of changed.

Harry Beanbag
8/3/2007, 12:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouWJa6FC7-E

OU Adonis
8/3/2007, 12:27 AM
That's the beauty of a Rubicon, it already has that. When my factory tires wear out all I need is a lift (and new tires of course).

I have a 3.07 but I have been planning on getting that changed out when I get it lifed.

So can I get by with a 4" lift and still have 35's?

I have heard of the death wobble but from what I have heard its correctable for the cash.

Harry Beanbag
8/3/2007, 12:42 AM
I have a 3.07 but I have been planning on getting that changed out when I get it lifed.

So can I get by with a 4" lift and still have 35's?

I have heard of the death wobble but from what I have heard its correctable for the cash.

I have no idea. My Rubicon came with 31's. I have a buddy that bought a Sport, 2002 I believe, and ended up putting a 3 or 4" lift on it with 33's. His Jeep looks really nice and he's been all over Moab in it. Anything bigger and I think you may be risking looking like a jackass poser unless you do some serious offroading in it and you know what you're doing.

RacerX
8/3/2007, 06:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouWJa6FC7-E

That'll buff right out.

gh55
8/3/2007, 06:49 AM
stick with 3 or 4" lift and 33" tires. if you have a 5 speed you will
want to get 4.10 gears.

OU Adonis
8/3/2007, 09:49 AM
Anything bigger and I think you may be risking looking like a jackass poser unless you do some serious offroading in it and you know what you're doing.

So your saying I don't look like one now? Thats the nicest thing you have said to me in years. :D

Seriously, thanks for the help guys. I will stick with my original plan. Its going to be my spring project.