PDA

View Full Version : Car Mechanics.

KABOOKIE
8/2/2007, 11:02 AM
So I take my car in for repair because it has a knocking sound timed with the engine RPM. The shop I take it to says I need a new timing chain and gives me an estimate of $729.60. Yesterday morning they call and say they needed to order more parts because they thought everything was included in this “parts kit” and they would replace the extra parts ordered at cost. OK, no big deal.

Well, later they call and say they fixed everything up but, the “knock” is still present. Now they think it’s a bearing for a rod. My question is should I pay them a dime for the work they’ve done? I’m thinking Hell No.

StuIsTheMan
8/2/2007, 11:19 AM
That's a question for olvet me thinks...

Hot Rod
8/2/2007, 12:00 PM
Kabookie,
I understand your frustration. The fact is they diagnosed the problem wrong. It's completely their fault. You paid to have the knocking stop and their first attempt didn't work.

I had somewhat of a similar situation. I took my truck to Pep Boys to get an alignment. They called me 30 min later saying I needed new tires, shocks, etc and it would cost me way more than I was expecting. When I went to pick up my truck, they wanted to charge me a fee for looking over the truck. I told them I wasn't paying it, because I didn't ask for it. After minutes over arguing, I got my keys from them and headed out without paying a dime.

olevetonahill
8/2/2007, 12:12 PM
What kinda car ?
I dont think Id have the guts to charge for fixin if I didnt FIX , But thats me .
As a as Paying gos If I hired you to Fly Me to BFE, and you took me to austin would I have to pay you ?

Turd_Ferguson
8/2/2007, 12:20 PM
If it's a chain store, you should be good to go maybe with a little argument. If it's an independant mechanic, you may have a donnybrook on your hands.

KABOOKIE
8/2/2007, 12:22 PM
What kinda car ?
I dont think Id have the guts to charge for fixin if I didnt FIX , But thats me .
As a as Paying gos If I hired you to Fly Me to BFE, and you took me to austin would I have to pay you ?

Good analogy. :D

KABOOKIE
8/2/2007, 12:22 PM
What kinda car ?

1997 Saturn SC2.

olevetonahill
8/2/2007, 12:27 PM
How many Miles ? how long have you had the knock ?
Id get my car out of there anyway I could and take it to some one who knows what they are doing .

KABOOKIE
8/2/2007, 12:34 PM
How many Miles ? how long have you had the knock ?
Id get my car out of there anyway I could and take it to some one who knows what they are doing .

124,000 miles and the knock has been there for the last 3000. Yeah, I'm thinking about taking in somewhere else. Only problem is I might find someone worse! :D

olevetonahill
8/2/2007, 12:38 PM
I dont think thats possible ( to find worse ), If its had the noise for 3000 then it AINT a rod .
Id check converter Bolts and Harmonic balancer .

sooner_born_1960
8/2/2007, 12:40 PM
I dont think thats possible ( to find worse ), If its had the noise for 3000 then it AINT a rod .
That's exactly what I was thinking. ;)

Mjcpr
8/2/2007, 12:40 PM

Can you play a little Ol' Suzanna?

olevetonahill
8/2/2007, 12:46 PM
Can you play a little Ol' Suzanna?
Hummer a few Bars of it

TheHumanAlphabet
8/2/2007, 12:46 PM
Tell them to put the old parts back on and return the new parts and tell them to fix the "other" problem.

oilmud
8/2/2007, 12:52 PM
Don't know how the could not tell the difference between a top end tap/tick and a bottom end knock. Definately get a second opinion.

KABOOKIE
8/2/2007, 01:27 PM
Don't know how the could not tell the difference between a top end tap/tick and a bottom end knock. Definately get a second opinion.

Exactly!! I find it very suspicious that their next diagnosis is a very expensive repair. Almost exactly like they're trying to make money off of their mistake.

KABOOKIE
8/2/2007, 01:31 PM

Thanks.

olevetonahill
8/2/2007, 01:32 PM
I just called my parts dude . If its single over head cam . Timing set is 50 bucks . If it double Overhead Cam the set is 100 .
Is it Loud ? If its a double Cam one of em could be out of time .

KABOOKIE
8/2/2007, 01:38 PM
I just called my parts dude . If its single over head cam . Timing set is 50 bucks . If it double Overhead Cam the set is 100 .

DOHC. Tap is very loud.

oilmud
8/2/2007, 01:47 PM
DOHC. Tap is very loud.

Thats what they make 30w oil for. ymmv

KABOOKIE
8/4/2007, 04:51 PM

ovh,
Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_eMqA2xslE

Does this help any? You can hear the "knock" and it's
really bad between 1500-2500 rpm. Seems to go away at 3500 rpm but revving
the engine between 3500-4000 rpm you can hear it.

I got the car back from the auto shop without being charged. Now, I'm stuck
with a car that sounds bad but runs pretty good. Their guess was to replace
the whole motor.

$1050 used motor
$875 labor

olevetonahill
8/4/2007, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=KABOOKIE]ovh,
Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_eMqA2xslE

Does this help any? You can hear the "knock" and it's
really bad between 1500-2500 rpm. Seems to go away at 3500 rpm but revving
the engine between 3500-4000 rpm you can hear it.

I got the car back from the auto shop without being charged. Now, I'm stuck
with a car that sounds bad but runs pretty good. Their guess was to replace
the whole motor.

$1050 used motor
Befor I give you My best Long distance Dianosis:D
Start the Car Hold the Brake, And put it in gear, Accelerate the engine, Still holding the Brake . Does the Noise Change , Get louder , Quiter No change ?

OUDoc
8/4/2007, 05:23 PM
Post a video of you doing what olevet said. I need some entertainment tonight. :pop:

olevetonahill
8/4/2007, 05:28 PM
Post a video of you doing what olevet said. I need some entertainment tonight. :pop:
:D

Flagstaffsooner
8/4/2007, 05:32 PM
Post a video of you doing what olevet said. I need some entertainment tonight. :pop:And have Czar put VK ontop of the car so we can see her tittays jiggle around.;)

KABOOKIE
8/4/2007, 05:53 PM
Befor I give you My best Long distance Dianosis:D
Start the Car Hold the Brake, And put it in gear, Accelerate the engine, Still holding the Brake . Does the Noise Change , Get louder , Quiter No change ?

Nope. Same noise whether I'm in park, drive or neutral.

KABOOKIE
8/4/2007, 05:54 PM

I'm thinking full-coverage insurance and driving it in a lake will be cheaper.

olevetonahill
8/4/2007, 06:04 PM
Nope. Same noise whether I'm in park, drive or neutral.
My best guess then is a Cracked Flywheel , If you were anywhere close Id check it for ya for free
For 2000 Grand Ill build ya engine
Can you get under the ride and Look and see if anything is Bent , Like the oil Pan, Dust cover for the Flywheel.
How far away are you ?

Newbomb Turk
8/4/2007, 06:07 PM

for 2000 grand it had better be a pretty damn good engine!

;)

olevetonahill
8/4/2007, 06:10 PM
for 2000 grand it had better be a pretty damn good engine!

;)
Im aslo Talkin Me going and gettin the ride , and do a R an R

olevetonahill
8/4/2007, 06:19 PM
My cost On a Long block from Orielly is about 2300
so ya , for 2000 I can build it and install it

Sooner24
8/4/2007, 07:36 PM
olevet needs his own forum for car repair. :D

KABOOKIE
8/4/2007, 07:44 PM
My best guess then is a Cracked Flywheel , If you were anywhere close Id check it for ya for free
Can you get under the ride and Look and see if anything is Bent , Like the oil Pan, Dust cover for the Flywheel.
How far away are you ?

Yeah, I wish I could get it to ya. I'm in Wichita.