PDA

View Full Version : Franchione trying to get a black-eye...

goingoneight
8/1/2007, 10:16 PM
Running his mouth about OU, Tech and Baylorites (http://blogs.chron.com/longhorns/)
Seems he's getting pretty cocky these days... I guess a 5-point victory against Texas has him a little high still... a season where he barely beat the likes of OSU, Army and Mizzou, and lost to OU, NU, TT and that memorable post-season trip out west. Oh, well... this IS or course the same guy who loses 77-0, cries after beating Texas and fields 12-man defenses.

Coach Fran roasts the Big 12 South...is Bob Stoops laughing?

Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione spent 30 minutes telling stories and taking a few playful jabs at some of his Big 12 South rivals during an appearance Wednesday at the Touchdown Club of Houston's "Texas A&M Day with Coach Fran" at the JW Marriott.

Franchione began his speech by asking if there were any Longhorn fans in the crowd.

"Enjoy your lunch because you won't be getting much of a scouting report," he joked.

He then asked whether there were any Baylor or Texas Tech fans in the crowd.

"We might have a few around that just don't want to claim it," he joked.

His best line, however, was directed at Big 12 South rival Oklahoma. Franchione discussed all the returning quarterbacks in the Big 12 before noting the Sooners were one of the few teams that had to find a quarterback this season.

"That may be the only question mark they have ... other than what (summer) jobs they're going to work this year," Franchione said in reference to OU's recent NCAA sanctions involving former quarterback Rhett Bomar.

The crowd erupted in laughter.

"That was a joke. I couldn't resist it," Franchione quipped.

Let's be fair: Coach Fran did pick OU as his preseason favorite to win the South.

Afterwards, Franchione spent Wednesday afternoon attending Texans practice at Reliant Park.

goingoneight
8/1/2007, 10:19 PM
Note: Oklahoma been with "inexperienced QBs" the last two years and still beat him in Norman AND College Station. For the record, I'll never take any Fran-coached team seriously against real opponents.

soonerinabilene
8/1/2007, 10:44 PM
Fran: "How many aggie fans we have in here? go ahead, stand up and grab yourself to show who you are."

CtheB
8/1/2007, 11:05 PM
Bob Stoops response: "the only question mark at a&m is whether coach fran will meet with the players when he quits or not."

Fran is a gypsy. Now that he has a little pressure on him, let's see how he performs. Track record says that once expectations rise for a Franchione program, he bolts.

SoonerBOI
8/1/2007, 11:08 PM
Fran is a loser. 77-0 still haunts him.

BASSooner
8/1/2007, 11:10 PM
I find this entertaining quite honestly. He's never won against us and he talks smack?

:pop: and :twinkies: for everyone!

Rhino
8/1/2007, 11:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdu4ctT52o4

IronSooner
8/1/2007, 11:59 PM
Cute one Fran. Way to be original.

AlabamaSooner
8/2/2007, 12:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdu4ctT52o4

That's good stuff right there.

insuranceman_22
8/2/2007, 12:18 AM
Well placed Rhino. As for Fran....well he couldn't quite handle the Sooners last year, but it was his best year at atm and he did help us achieve another Big 12 title by stomping (liberally using the term) the whorens.

Let him have is crack, it was funny.....I hope it's got Stoops, BV and company a little ****ed off though. Little quips like that make great locker room material. It may come back to haunt in a few months......

utex74
8/2/2007, 01:05 AM
Fran is a loser. 77-0 still haunts him.

Stoops could have scored a hundred in that game and this year I hope you do just that.

goingoneight
8/2/2007, 03:26 AM
Stoops prolly could have score 120... Jason White was out before the half if I remember correctly. We really weren't running anything special, they just kept turning the ball over and giving open receivers short field.

Dio
8/2/2007, 07:48 AM
Stoops prolly could have score 120... Jason White was out before the half if I remember correctly. We really weren't running anything special, they just kept turning the ball over and giving open receivers short field.

Mike ****** begs to differ.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/2/2007, 08:43 AM
Fran needs the one-liners to ease the tension of his required 10 win season to keep his job...

usmc-sooner
8/2/2007, 08:55 AM
not to defend Fran but at those Caravans that is what the coaches do, because that's what the fans want to hear. Stoops, Brown, Gundy, Fran, Leach they all do it.

Now if I was Fran I'd be taking shots at teams I had some success against.

JohnnyMack
8/2/2007, 09:14 AM
.. Jason White was out before the half if I remember correctly.

Ran the first series of the second half.

zeke
8/2/2007, 09:47 AM
fran is a prick

TheHumanAlphabet
8/2/2007, 10:29 AM
not to defend Fran but at those Caravans that is what the coaches do, because that's what the fans want to hear. Stoops, Brown, Gundy, Fran, Leach they all do it.

Ya don't hear Stoops taking shots at the other teams. The ones I attended, he was above board, but I do get your point. I guess we are Sooners, not aggy or aggy lite...

Kray
8/2/2007, 10:46 AM
The jab about NCAA stuff was entirely lowlife, especially coming from a coach at A&M.

usmc-sooner
8/2/2007, 10:58 AM
Ya don't hear Stoops taking shots at the other teams. The ones I attended, he was above board, but I do get your point. I guess we are Sooners, not aggy or aggy lite...

I've heard him take shots a Les Miles, Mack Brown, and A&M. It's all in fun and building good rivalries. These guys are catering to the folks they are talking to.

I like it.

Jacie
8/2/2007, 11:35 AM
Given the distractions that have marked his career, a few one-liners to divert attention are required to keep his job.

SelmaBamaFan
8/2/2007, 11:40 AM
So you wanna give him a black eye eh? How much you paying? I'll do it for cheap! :D

OSUAggie
8/2/2007, 12:44 PM
Ran the first series of the second half.

Thompson did. (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2003-2004/texasam.html#GAME.PLY)

StuIsTheMan
8/2/2007, 12:55 PM
Fran needs the one-liners to ease the tension of his required 10 win season to keep his job...

Given the distractions that have marked his career, a few one-liners to divert attention are required to keep his job.

NOOB needs to read before He/She writes me thinks...;)

Rhino
8/2/2007, 01:07 PM
Thompson did. (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2003-2004/texasam.html#GAME.PLY) Aggy's right.

In fact, lets revisit some facts about 77-0. Just because it's so dang hilarious.

- We had 49 points in the first half. A&M had 47 yards.

- We had four touchdowns called back on us.

- Jason White, Brandon Everage, Mark Clayton & Vince Carter didn't see the field in the second half.

- We held the ball for 12 of 15 minutes in the fourth quarter...and didn't score.

- We held the ball 21 of 30 minutes in the second half.

- Short guy John Flynn, skinny guy Chris Messner, short guy Chris Bush and some other guy saw quality time on the O-Line in the second half. Messner and Bush are the only two on scholarship.

- Our starting defensive backfield was on the bench for the fourth quarter.

- Boomer, Sooner and the Schooner only saw the field once in the second half...we scored four times.

- Third-string walk-on fullback Dan Townsend ran the last four plays of the game for gains totalling 10 yards.

- Townsend had more rushing yards than A&M had total yards in the second half.

- Our 77 point win was not only A&M's worst defeat ever, it tied a record for most points scored in Big XII play and set the record for biggest scoring margin in Big XII history.

- We passed only three times in the second half.

- In the fourth quarter, we turned the ball over on downs after we:
1. Ran four plays up the middle and got the first down.
2. Kneeled on first down.
3. Ran up the middle.
4. Ran up the middle.
5. Ran up the middle.
(Mind you we were within the five yard-line.)

- A&M had three first downs. We had 11 times that.

- Melvin Bullitt and Johnny Jolly won the lottery after they "stopped" us within the 3-yard-line.

- This is the first time since the 1999 Iowa State game that we've had two 100-yard rushers.

- White shattered the OU record for most consecutive completions with 17 (including the last two passes against OSU). Cale Gundy had 12 in 1992. Just in case you needed some clarification to why Fran doesn't really like us. Well that, and the fact that he's 0-6 against the Sooners.

http://dugger.mystarband.net/ut/sooner8.jpg

BoomerJack
8/2/2007, 01:25 PM

But that would make the speech awfully short wouldn't it?? What's he to talk about for the rest of his alloted time?:D

Beef
8/2/2007, 01:28 PM
Well that, and the fact that he's 0-6 against the Sooners.
Including a loss to John Blake. Ouch.

OSUAggie
8/2/2007, 01:38 PM
Derrick Strait also scored to go up 77-0... so it's not as if you were without regulars on the field late in the game...

Still, that wasn't Stoops running up the score.

Throwing TD passes late in the 4th quarter when up by 40 is running up the score (see the week prior).

Beef
8/2/2007, 01:40 PM
Throwing TD passes late in the 4th quarter when up by 40 is running up the score (see the week prior).
Was that the week y'all were playing SMU?

StuIsTheMan
8/2/2007, 01:41 PM
No doubt OUCH!...I'd rather be 0-100 against Stoops than go 0-1 against Blake...

OSUAggie
8/2/2007, 01:43 PM
Was that the week y'all were playing SMU?

The last TD against SMU was midway through the 3rd.

Rhino
8/2/2007, 01:59 PM
Derrick Strait also scored to go up 77-0... so it's not as if you were without regulars on the field late in the game... Strait scored with 17 minutes left in the game when rolled into his hands 17 yards from the goalline. And if I remember right, Strait was replaced midway through the third quarter until his backup screwed something up, so Strait was put back in.

All our starters were on the sidelines after the third quarter. So, yes, we were without regulars late in the game.

OSUAggie
8/2/2007, 02:11 PM
Woops, thinking of the 03 Texas game.

Statalyzer
8/2/2007, 02:22 PM
We really weren't running anything special, they just kept turning the ball over and giving open receivers short field.

IIRC the Aggies actually only turned it over once. They gave you short fields because they never made it past their own 40 yard line, and punted 12 times.

Salt City Sooner
8/2/2007, 02:40 PM
At home, WITH LaDanian Tomlinson in his backfield. 'Nuff said.

SoonerDood
8/3/2007, 01:42 AM
was that when you were blitzing with your starters in the game? AND double-covering the receiver who scored?

OUTrumpet
8/3/2007, 01:51 AM
- Our 77 point win was not only A&M's worst defeat ever, it tied a record for most points scored in Big XII play and set the record for biggest scoring margin in Big XII history.
[/IMG]

When was the other time? I'm suprised that didn't set a record.

God that was a fun game to be at. At least for the first half. And then Johnny Jolly's celebration at the 3.

goingoneight
8/3/2007, 02:24 AM
IIRC the Aggies actually only turned it over once. They gave you short fields because they never made it past their own 40 yard line, and punted 12 times.
over on downs... I look at it the same, generally speaking if you don't do shat with the ball.

stoopified
8/3/2007, 05:11 AM
I've heard him take shots a Les Miles, Mack Brown, and A&M. It's all in fun and building good rivalries. These guys are catering to the folks they are talking to.

I like it.You are making that up about Les Miles,nobody associated with OU ever takes a shot at Miles :D

limey_sooner
8/3/2007, 05:13 AM
I'm thinkin Fran shouldn't be making jokes about employment.

Salt City Sooner
8/3/2007, 10:59 AM
When was the other time? I'm suprised that didn't set a record.

God that was a fun game to be at. At least for the first half. And then Johnny Jolly's celebration at the 3.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores97/97319/97319403.htm

StuIsTheMan
8/6/2007, 09:34 AM
http://www.aggiesports.com/stories/080607/football_20070806018.php

77-0 Schmucko!

boomersooner82
8/6/2007, 09:52 AM
He should fire his speech writer. That "joke" was poorly worded and thus wasn't that funny. He could've done a lot more with it.

sooner94
8/6/2007, 12:17 PM
Fran could also say that A&M was only 12 big plays away from beating us in 2003.

Seamus
8/6/2007, 12:36 PM
Maybe the Leadership Council should announce it will handle this internally - i.e. a slap on the wrist, which would be appropriate since that's how the NCAA penalized OU, which had to vacate its eight victories in 2005 and the loss of four scholarships.

Some say that was the real joke, just watch where you tell it.

More nonsense from the Land of Missing Chromosomes.

Fraggle145
8/6/2007, 12:52 PM
"There are a lot of people who have a lot to stay when they don't have a Big 12 championship to talk about," the paper reported, adding that Stoops strongly emphasized he was not addressing a particular coach.

"There are some guys talking about, 'If this happened in this game, and this happened in that game,' in like three or four games, they'd be Big 12 champions," Stoops said, again stressing he was talking about more than one coach.

Heh. Good one coach.

Bama My Heart
8/6/2007, 03:55 PM
Bob Stoops response: "the only question mark at a&m is whether coach fran will meet with the players when he quits or not."

Fran is a gypsy. Now that he has a little pressure on him, let's see how he performs. Track record says that once expectations rise for a Franchione program, he bolts.

Good one. I hope ya'll beat him 77-0 again. That would do my heart good.
Now, we are really glad that he's gone, but the Aggie fans think that they have something we want. What has he done there? I believe if he had not beat Texas last year, he would have been gone.

CatfishSooner
8/6/2007, 04:08 PM
screw fran.

Funky G
8/6/2007, 04:26 PM
Don't we really want Fran to stay at A&M? I like his style, flirting with mediocrity.

The_Red_Patriot
10/24/2007, 09:19 AM
Running his mouth about OU, Tech and Baylorites (http://blogs.chron.com/longhorns/)
Seems he's getting pretty cocky these days... I guess a 5-point victory against Texas has him a little high still... a season where he barely beat the likes of OSU, Army and Mizzou, and lost to OU, NU, TT and that memorable post-season trip out west. Oh, well... this IS or course the same guy who loses 77-0, cries after beating Texas and fields 12-man defenses.

Remember this?

The_Red_Patriot
10/24/2007, 09:21 AM
I MUST REMIND YOU

Coach Fran roasts the Big 12 South...is Bob Stoops laughing?

Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione spent 30 minutes telling stories and taking a few playful jabs at some of his Big 12 South rivals during an appearance Wednesday at the Touchdown Club of Houston's "Texas A&M Day with Coach Fran" at the JW Marriott.

Franchione began his speech by asking if there were any Longhorn fans in the crowd.

"Enjoy your lunch because you won't be getting much of a scouting report," he joked.

He then asked whether there were any Baylor or Texas Tech fans in the crowd.

"We might have a few around that just don't want to claim it," he joked.

His best line, however, was directed at Big 12 South rival Oklahoma. Franchione discussed all the returning quarterbacks in the Big 12 before noting the Sooners were one of the few teams that had to find a quarterback this season.

"That may be the only question mark they have ... other than what (summer) jobs they're going to work this year," Franchione said in reference to OU's recent NCAA sanctions involving former quarterback Rhett Bomar.

The crowd erupted in laughter.

"That was a joke. I couldn't resist it," Franchione quipped.

Let's be fair: Coach Fran did pick OU as his preseason favorite to win the South.

Afterwards, Franchione spent Wednesday afternoon attending Texans practice at Reliant Park.

Pricetag
10/24/2007, 12:56 PM

That is, of course, unless they subscribed to his news letter.

Civicus_Sooner
10/24/2007, 01:36 PM
That is, of course, unless they subscribed to his news letter.And you know they did. heh

Outopia
10/24/2007, 01:49 PM
Those "crowds" don't laugh at his jokes anymore. I'll bet he's glad the Callahan saga is ongoing. It shifts some of the speculation, at least nationally, away from his fate. Nebraska seems to have more national media interest than A&M, whether there are coaching change issues or not. He will be lucky that he gets the axe at the end of the season with any others who are fired.

stoopified
10/24/2007, 02:34 PM
Are the CAN FRAN bumperstickers in vogue yet at College Station?

Civicus_Sooner
10/24/2007, 02:42 PM
Are the CAN FRAN bumperstickers in vogue yet at College Station?Someone with the FRAN CAN bumper sticker CO. just had an epiphany. :D

AzianSooner
10/24/2007, 11:06 PM
Coach Fran picked OU above Texass for big 12 south champ because he has not beat OU yet.

SicEmBaylor
10/25/2007, 10:21 PM
What a ****** ******