PDA

View Full Version : I realize Southern Hills is the best course in Oklahoma...

Okla-homey
8/1/2007, 07:08 PM
But them PGA golfin' fellers is gonna be hawt as two rats rasslin' in a wool sock on a pot-bellied stove.

When they played it here in 1958, they called "The Blast Furnace."

1stTimeCaller
8/1/2007, 09:00 PM
it's the second best course. Right behind Dornick Hills.

;)

critical_phil
8/1/2007, 09:06 PM
Brookside is 3rd.

usmc-sooner
8/1/2007, 09:10 PM
you aint seen hot, until you see the black flag at Lejeune at 0930.

Soonerus
8/1/2007, 09:11 PM
Oak Tree Men's has become #1 again...

Mongo
8/1/2007, 09:33 PM
Brookside is 3rd.

I second that

nothing like shanking your first tee shot into oncoming traffic on 89th:D

Soonerus
8/1/2007, 09:39 PM
Belmar #2...

JohnnyMack
8/1/2007, 09:43 PM
Belmar #2...

You're funny. If nothing else.

Soonerus
8/1/2007, 09:44 PM
Twin tied for 2nd...

Soonerus
8/1/2007, 10:06 PM
A body found in a pond at Brookside today...moves it way down the list...

1stTimeCaller
8/1/2007, 10:19 PM
Belmar isn't even on the list. Do they have a clubhouse yet?

Host a PGA event and then maybe Belmar can be mentioned glowingly in the same breath as Southern Hills, Dornick Hills and Oak Tree.

Soonerus
8/1/2007, 10:21 PM

Host a PGA event and then maybe Belmar can be mentioned glowingly in the same breath as Southern Hills, Dornick Hills and Oak Tree.

OK, relax, it was stated somewhat tongue-in-cheek...many, many great courses in Oklahoma IMO...

Soonerus
8/1/2007, 10:24 PM
btw, the King and Toby are frequent players at Belmar, that should account for something on a Sooner board...

1stTimeCaller
8/1/2007, 10:30 PM
Toby plays there? GET OUT!!!! With these on the home page of Belmar's website, I never would have known............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........

http://www.ilovethiscourse.com/images/TK.hat.tip.sm.jpg

http://www.ilovethiscourse.com/images/yard.dawgz.sm.jpg

Soonerus
8/1/2007, 10:31 PM
It's right by his house/estate....

1stTimeCaller
8/1/2007, 10:33 PM
Uhhhhhh, he owns/is an owner of the course......

Soonerus
8/1/2007, 10:34 PM
partial ownership...

critical_phil
8/1/2007, 10:34 PM
A body found in a pond at Brookside today...moves it way down the list...

the fact that i can drive the green on the first hole moves it way down the list.

the dead body is just lumped in with other factors like gravel in the fairway and the johnson grass greens.

OUAndy1807
8/1/2007, 10:35 PM

you would know the answer to this if you showed up to a certain persons wedding.

Soonerus
8/1/2007, 10:36 PM
the fact that i can drive the green on the first hole moves it way down the list.

the dead body is just lumped in with other factors like gravel in the fairway and the johnson grass greens.

Hey, I had a lot of great times on that course in my younger days...lots of fun...

Soonerus
8/1/2007, 10:37 PM
you would know the answer to this if you showed up to a certain persons wedding.

very nice clubhouse now...

1stTimeCaller
8/1/2007, 10:40 PM
you gotta give a guy a little time to scrape up funds to fly to a wedding.

OUAndy1807
8/1/2007, 10:42 PM
we only gave you a year.

but they do have a very nice banquet hall and we got in before they set up a bunch of silly rules. also, the GM tried to dick me on the bar bill, but we got it straightened out.

I love the old "go ahead and sue me then" argument when you're talking small dollars (under $5k)

1stTimeCaller
8/1/2007, 10:43 PM
you gotta give a guy a lot of time to scrape up the funds to rent a tux and fly to a wedding.

1stTimeCaller
8/1/2007, 10:44 PM
3 months does not equal a year. by any calendar.

Soonerus
8/1/2007, 10:45 PM
we only gave you a year.

but they do have a very nice banquet hall and we got in before they set up a bunch of silly rules. also, the GM tried to dick me on the bar bill, but we got it straightened out.

I love the old "go ahead and sue me then" argument when you're talking small dollars (under $5k)

I have been involved in a couple of parties out there, you do have to keep an eye on the creative billing...not so much anymore, I think that problem has been cured....

bri
8/1/2007, 11:25 PM
Oak Tree Men's has become #1 again...

You don't say? Well then, I can hardly wait for Oak Tree's regular hosting of major championships.

r5TPsooner
8/1/2007, 11:38 PM
Will Karsten Creek ever get a Nationwide, LPGA or PGA tour event? It looks like a nice course on paper. Pricey too!

OU4LIFE
8/2/2007, 07:11 AM
no. Karsten will get it's share of college events, but the odds that it ever hosts ANYTHING PGA are slim to none. There's just ZERO place for galleries of any kind out there.

and I hardly think that Oak Tree hosting the Seniors jumps them over Southern Hills in ANY ranking...ever.

JohnnyMack
8/2/2007, 09:12 AM
OK, relax, it was stated somewhat tongue-in-cheek...many, many great courses in Oklahoma IMO...

Look at this folks, after all these years he's decided to get a personality.

Oh relax, it was stated somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

bri
8/2/2007, 10:10 AM
and I hardly think that Oak Tree hosting the Seniors jumps them over Southern Hills in ANY ranking...ever.

Well, one can hardly fault Russ for his glee. After all, it has been nearly 20 years since Oak Tree managed to host a major professional golf championship without having it taken away and moved to Southern Hills due to bankruptcy and exclusionary membership policies.

SeattleOUstudent
8/2/2007, 10:38 AM
Is this where I say that Ardmore is the BEST Moore?

usmc-sooner
8/2/2007, 11:09 AM
Ft. Cobb Lake Golf Course #1

sooneron
8/2/2007, 11:55 AM
Hosting a major is the sign of a great course, but it doesn't make a course great. There are a crapload of great courses that are in the US that will never sniff a major because of a variety of reasons. The PGA/USGA is very uppity when it comes to certain criteria.

bri
8/2/2007, 01:07 PM
What about hosting seven majors? Does that help? :D

1stTimeCaller
8/2/2007, 01:38 PM
I'd say being designed by Perry Maxwell or redesigned by Perry Maxwell would be one of those criteria.

Having him buried on the course should be two bonus points
;)

critical_phil
8/2/2007, 02:02 PM
this thread has a gigantic penis.

picasso
8/2/2007, 02:58 PM
bet it was hotter in '82.

King Crimson
8/2/2007, 03:07 PM
I'd say being designed by Perry Maxwell or redesigned by Perry Maxwell would be one of those criteria.

Having him buried on the course should be two bonus points
;)

actually the re-design (not by Maxwell) is generally thought to be pretty crappy according to Maxwell loyalists--goofy mounding around the greens which was "trendy" in the early 80's or wherever they did it really abuse the trademark Maxwell gentle, minimalist, and deceptive "green complexes".

Dornick gets a big nod for it's history, Maxwell's legacy, and it's a very good golf course but it's not in the top 5 and fighting to be top 10 i'd say.

1stTimeCaller
8/2/2007, 03:25 PM
Dude, I shoot 110+, I'm just yammering. Also, I think it's full of creepy and awesome that there is a cemetary on a golf course.

soonerinabilene
8/2/2007, 04:07 PM
this thread has a gigantic penis.

I didnt think black guys played that much golf?

:D

Newbomb Turk
8/4/2007, 05:53 PM
But them PGA golfin' fellers is gonna be hawt as two rats rasslin' in a wool sock on a pot-bellied stove.

which is why I'm not going up there this week. A buddy has practice round tickets, but I passed. I went up there for the '01 Open and it was neat and all, but it was just so damn hot walking around that course all day.

and yes, even though Southern Hills probably is the best course in OK - hosting a pga tour event or major is not indicative of being the "best course".

King Crimson
8/4/2007, 06:26 PM
i went to the 94 PGA and the 81 PGA and it was so hot i couldn't believe it.

i got my graddad's car towed in 94 in the ORU parking lot, that was a great human experience. getting your graddad's car towed. i was so ****ed, it wasn't my fault. **** Tulsa.

bri
8/4/2007, 08:08 PM
which is why I'm not going up there this week. A buddy has practice round tickets, but I passed. I went up there for the '01 Open and it was neat and all, but it was just so damn hot walking around that course all day.

This just in: August is hot. Stay tuned for further developments in this breaking story.

and yes, even though Southern Hills probably is the best course in OK - hosting a pga tour event or major is not indicative of being the "best course".

First, you can take out the "probably". It is the best course. And second, I'm pretty sure that when the greatest professional golfers in the world use your course to decide a major championship, it's a pretty good sign as to your "good-ness".

Newbomb Turk
8/4/2007, 08:18 PM
First, you can take out the "probably". It is the best course. And second, I'm pretty sure that when the greatest professional golfers in the world use your course to decide a major championship, it's a pretty good sign as to your "good-ness".

first, ok fine - it is the best. hope that makes you happy.

second, the greatest professional golfers in the world don't decide which courses are used for a major.

1stTimeCaller
8/4/2007, 09:05 PM
I had no idea that bri played golf, much less has a membership at Southern Hills.

I only say that because it seems that he is taking this a little too personal.

Seriously, Tulsa's a fine town. It's much more than one golf course. Don't act like Tulsa is only good because Southern Hills is awesome.

critical_phil
8/4/2007, 10:51 PM
Is this where I say that Ardmore is the BEST Moore?

well, Broadmoor is the WORST Moore.

i played there today, and that course is in terrible shape - which was obviously the reason for my terrible score. i think i shot my weight in kilograms.

i did chip in from about 30 yards though.

Newbomb Turk
8/4/2007, 10:54 PM
That's about "par for the course" for Broadmore *rimshot*

to brag about the chip in, it had better have been for birdie at least.

critical_phil
8/4/2007, 11:18 PM
to brag about the chip in, it had better have been for birdie at least.

oh no, that's the best part. it was to save par and halve the hole.

it was one of the very few my nephew didn't take money from me.

Newbomb Turk
8/4/2007, 11:19 PM
ok - that's bragable.

Turd_Ferguson
8/4/2007, 11:20 PM
Was it on #3?

critical_phil
8/4/2007, 11:26 PM
Was it on #3?

Turd_Ferguson
8/4/2007, 11:29 PM
Thats a pretty long hole from the tips

Edit: I'm think'n of 7. 8's right up to the clubhouse isn't it?

Newbomb Turk
8/4/2007, 11:29 PM
"8" on your 8,000th post.

Newbomb Turk
8/4/2007, 11:30 PM
Thats a pretty long hole from the tips
*snicker*

from the tips....he's a nurse.

OklahomaTuba
8/5/2007, 10:41 AM
I am juiced, my billets have club house access on them!!!

And mentioning Southern Hills in the same sentence with Oak Tree is like mentioning OU football in the same breath with the aggots. They really aren't even close.

King Crimson
8/5/2007, 10:52 AM
Tuba:

i prefer SH but: list the number of times you've played SH and Oak Tree: and the last time you broke 100.

here.

r5TPsooner
8/5/2007, 11:01 AM
first, ok fine - it is the best. hope that makes you happy.

second, the greatest professional golfers in the world don't decide which courses are used for a major.

True.

Newbomb Turk
8/5/2007, 11:08 AM
Tuba:

i prefer SH but: list the number of times you've played SH and Oak Tree: and the last time you broke 100.

here.

KC - have you played both? Not taking a shot at you, just asking.

King Crimson
8/5/2007, 11:11 AM
yes. i've played SH once, and OT maybe 20 times (never very well).

Newbomb Turk
8/5/2007, 11:15 AM
FYI - TV Coverage

Thursday, August 9 http://i.pga.com/pga/images/events/template_rev2/img/tv_logo_tnt.gif 2PM - 8PM ET
Friday, August 10 http://i.pga.com/pga/images/events/template_rev2/img/tv_logo_tnt.gif 2PM - 8PM ET
Saturday, August 11 http://i.pga.com/pga/images/events/template_rev2/img/tv_logo_tnt.gif 11AM - 2PM ET
http://i.pga.com/pga/images/events/template_rev2/img/tv_logo_cbs.gif 2PM - 7PM
Sunday, August 12 http://i.pga.com/pga/images/events/template_rev2/img/tv_logo_tnt.gif 11AM - 2PM ET
http://i.pga.com/pga/images/events/template_rev2/img/tv_logo_cbs.gif 2PM - 7PM

edit - that didn't post as nice as I wanted it to.

KC//CRIMSON
8/5/2007, 11:32 AM
In related news, Rory Sabbatini is getting his *ss handed to him by Tiger at Firestone.:D

King Crimson
8/5/2007, 11:36 AM
Sabbatini likes to hear himself talk.

OklahomaTuba
8/5/2007, 05:09 PM
Never played Oak Tree. SH just once, and it was a major event in my life ;).

Mostly I am basing this off of golf course rankings:
http://www.golfdigest.com/rankings/courses/greatest/2007/100greatestcourses_gd200705?currentPage=1

Oak Tree doesn't even get a mention.

Also, the number of times the courses are invited to host majors has to be considered. The PGA and USGA obviously consider it.

OklahomaTuba
8/5/2007, 05:13 PM
Golf Digest ranks Oaktree below Karston.

Ouch.

Better repaint the water tower with 1988 on it. Sounds like it might be while...

King Crimson
8/5/2007, 05:14 PM
i said i preferred SH, so if you are talking to me....keep on with that rebuke the straw man assertion thing that works so well for your political reasoning. ;)

OUDoc
8/5/2007, 06:18 PM
Seriously? We're now down to golf course smack?

AlbqSooner
8/5/2007, 06:33 PM
Seriously? We're now down to golf course smack?
On courses that they cannot play on a regular basis.:D

Hamhock
8/5/2007, 07:02 PM
anyone who says that southern hills isn't the nicest, most storied, tradition rich course they've ever played is just trying to round aboutly brag about the fact that they've actually played it

OUDoc
8/5/2007, 08:25 PM
A nice golf course is wasted on me. Like a bottle of Dom on a man with no taste.

OCUDad
8/5/2007, 08:35 PM
Dom DeLuise?

OUDoc
8/5/2007, 09:40 PM
Dom DeLuise?
What else?

bri
8/5/2007, 10:35 PM
Sabbatini likes to hear himself talk.

He must post here, then.

soonerboomer93
8/5/2007, 11:48 PM
maybe he's one of the 3 actual posters then?

bri
8/6/2007, 02:06 AM
No, I think he was one of my trolls on the Traber board.

Jimminy Crimson
8/6/2007, 02:44 AM
Sleeping for three hours and then I'm off to Tulsa for the day...

OU4LIFE
8/6/2007, 07:38 AM
anyone who says that southern hills isn't the nicest, most storied, tradition rich course they've ever played IN OKLAHOMA is just trying to round aboutly brag about the fact that they've actually played it

fixed for you.

OU4LIFE
8/6/2007, 07:39 AM
i did chip in from about 30 yards though.

you 'chipped' in from 30 yards? what'd you use, a 5 iron?

Hamhock
8/6/2007, 07:49 AM
fixed for you.

i'll give you augusta, but that's it.

OU4LIFE
8/6/2007, 08:36 AM
Dude, you CANNOT seriously want to debate 'storied' and 'tradition rich' courses and use Southern Hills as the course you champion. Nice course? Hells yeah it is, easily the best course in OK, imo. Most 'tradition rich' and 'storied' in the world? hardly...it's not even close man. The home of golf gets that tag hands down.

1stTimeCaller
8/6/2007, 08:46 AM
the TPC in Chickasha is pretty nice

critical_phil
8/6/2007, 08:55 AM
you 'chipped' in from 30 yards? what'd you use, a 5 iron?

dude, it was 30 yards on saturday.

as i tell the story in the office this morning, it's 50 yards.

OklahomaTuba
8/6/2007, 09:08 AM
Isn't Hillcreast in Bartlesville another Maxwell course?

Mjcpr
8/6/2007, 09:51 AM
Breaking News: I get to go to a practice round tomorrow evening AFTER WORK. :mad:

Hamhock
8/6/2007, 10:04 AM
Dude, you CANNOT seriously want to debate 'storied' and 'tradition rich' courses and use Southern Hills as the course you champion. Nice course? Hells yeah it is, easily the best course in OK, imo. Most 'tradition rich' and 'storied' in the world? hardly...it's not even close man. The home of golf gets that tag hands down.

I said IN AMERICA.

OU4LIFE
8/6/2007, 10:54 AM
I said IN AMERICA.

Really? Would you like to point that out to me? It's obvious to me that I'm going blind...cause I just don't see it.

anyone who says that southern hills isn't the nicest, most storied, tradition rich course they've ever played is just trying to round aboutly brag about the fact that they've actually played it

King Crimson
8/6/2007, 10:58 AM
Isn't Hillcreast in Bartlesville another Maxwell course?

yup.

OKC GCC, Twin Hills, Muskogee CC, SH, Dornick, the original OU layout...i've heard either Maxwell did or didn't do the Ponca City CC, and i think Oakwood in Enid. in Oklahoma.

Hamhock
8/6/2007, 11:00 AM

now who looks stoopid?

OU4LIFE
8/6/2007, 11:09 AM
I stand corrected.

and stupified.

I think the original Ponca City CC course was Maxwell, but the redesign was some other dude.

Newbomb Turk
8/6/2007, 11:19 AM
I blame Russ for starting the golf course smack...and myself for digging this thing up from page 3. :O