PDA

View Full Version : NetFlix or Blockbuster?

SicEmBaylor
8/1/2007, 05:37 PM
I'm signing up for one of them. I'm leaning heavily toward Netflix. Blockbuster has the added benefit of actual stores, but it's on the other side of Waco and driving all the way over there just isn't all that worth it it to me.

Any other reason I should choose Blockbuster over Netflix?

sanantoniosooner
8/1/2007, 05:42 PM
Listen dipstick.

Having to drive across town on the off chance you would like to visit the store still beats not being able to go into a store at all.

Mixer!
8/1/2007, 05:57 PM
http://dukesgallery.tripod.com/roscoe-2.jpg

Turd_Ferguson
8/1/2007, 05:59 PM
Listen dipstick.

Having to drive across town on the off chance you would like to visit the store still beats not being able to go into a store at all.
Concur. It's great to be able to take the ones you got in the mail and exchange them in the store at no charge. The Ferguson family may be the down fall of Blockbuster Inc. We get more than twenty bucks a month out of'em:D

jrsooner
8/1/2007, 06:01 PM
I've had no problems with Netflix. I usually get the movies back in about 3 days, for example: Mail Monday, Receive Wednesday. I get 5 at a time, so there really isn't a lag between having a movie here at the house.

Vaevictis
8/1/2007, 06:06 PM
I won't go with Blockbuster simply because, to put it bluntly, I expect that if they ever kill off Netflix, they'll go back to gouging their customers like they used to. The only reason they aren't anymore is because Netflix was taking them to the woodshed, and they didn't have a choice.

Sooner_Bob
8/1/2007, 06:06 PM
I've used both (currently use Netflix) and can't really complain about either service.

The best thing about Blockbuster was/is (I don't know if they still do this) the coupons you got for the 2 free rentals each month. I usually used them for PS2 games and actually made money because I think I was paying $15.95/month at the time for my subscription.

I would think that the convenience to swap movies from the mail with something in the store would be a nice perk as well.

Of course with Netflix you've got the watch it now option and can see many older movies online at anytime.

SicEmBaylor
8/1/2007, 06:09 PM
Look, the Blockbuster store after traffic and the 10 billion traffic lights is a good 20-25 minutes away in actual travel time.

Turd_Ferguson
8/1/2007, 06:10 PM
No more coupon bull****. Just take the ones you got in the mail and exchange them.

Turd_Ferguson
8/1/2007, 06:11 PM
Look, the Blockbuster store after traffic and the 10 billion traffic lights is a good 20-25 minutes away in actual travel time.
Look, the next Netflix delivery is :mack:3 days:D

sanantoniosooner
8/1/2007, 06:16 PM
How far is the Netflix store you pinhead?

Sooner_Bob
8/1/2007, 06:17 PM
No more coupon bull****. Just take the ones you got in the mail and exchange them.

Well then that officially changes my vote. :D

sanantoniosooner
8/1/2007, 06:19 PM
There is a coupon a month for a free game.

Okieflyer
8/1/2007, 06:20 PM
I get Netflix in a two day turnaround. That's fast! I can also watch movies online. However, if Blockbuster is just as fast, they have the advantage of the store thing going and they would be my choice if I was picking right now.

Remember I do live in Greater Piedmontonia. If it can get here that fast, it can get anywhere that fast.;)

Harry Beanbag
8/1/2007, 07:20 PM

A whole 20-25 minutes?

skycat
8/1/2007, 09:35 PM
I won't go with Blockbuster simply because, to put it bluntly, I expect that if they ever kill off Netflix, they'll go back to gouging their customers like they used to. The only reason they aren't anymore is because Netflix was taking them to the woodshed, and they didn't have a choice.

QFT

Blockbuster is to skycat as Best Buy/Walmart are to Norm

SicEmBaylor
8/1/2007, 09:43 PM
I failed to mention this before, but I've also been banned from Blockbuster....and every other major and family owned video store within 20 miles of everywhere I've ever lived....

sanantoniosooner
8/1/2007, 09:48 PM
:rolleyes:

SicEmBaylor
8/1/2007, 09:49 PM
I think Movie Gallery is the only place I can still go to, and if not for Netflix they'd be my next victim.

rufnek05
8/1/2007, 10:04 PM
i had Net Flix for 2 months. the first month was good, the second month was retarded, i didn't get half of my dvd's and most of them took at least 5 days to get to my place. waste of money

critical_phil
8/1/2007, 10:27 PM
i just checked my blockbuster online rental history from july.

12 movies mailed. i always exchange at the store, so that's 12 more. 1 free game.

$17.99

but i only do it because i live on the south side and we have no netflix store, you know 'cause we're dirty southsiders.

mdklatt
8/1/2007, 10:44 PM
I failed to mention this before, but I've also been banned from Blockbuster....and every other major and family owned video store within 20 miles of everywhere I've ever lived....

Ok, I'll bite.

Why?

SicEmBaylor
8/1/2007, 10:57 PM
Ok, I'll bite.

Why?
Oh, I just have a problem returning videos.

critical_phil
8/1/2007, 11:01 PM
Oh, I just have a problem returning videos.

there's no way.

it'd be more believable if you gave some background info to this story involving gay hot tub sex at the young republican - texas chapter retreat.

Sooner_Bob
8/2/2007, 08:59 AM
One thing people may not realize is that most of your videos should come from the nearest Netflix shipping center. However, occassionally some will come from one farther away.

Also, I usually send 2 or 3 movies back in the same envelope and save the ones from OKC's center so I can get them back to Netflix sooner. That seems to help with the turn around.

Hatfield
8/2/2007, 09:08 AM
I've used both (currently use Netflix) and can't really complain about either service.

The best thing about Blockbuster was/is (I don't know if they still do this) the coupons you got for the 2 free rentals each month. I usually used them for PS2 games and actually made money because I think I was paying $15.95/month at the time for my subscription.

I would think that the convenience to swap movies from the mail with something in the store would be a nice perk as well.

Of course with Netflix you've got the watch it now option and can see many older movies online at anytime.

this is why i use blockbuster. the free game rentals basically pay for the service. well that and there is a bb less than half a mile from my house.

SicEmBaylor
8/3/2007, 03:09 AM
I went with Netflix. As you all said, Blockbuster does have stores; however, Netflix has "Watch Now" which lets you instantly watch a wide selection of movies directly on your computer. You get 17 hours a month of that which is pretty damned good. It's also VERY fast. I was absolutely surprised at how well it streams..the quality isn't quite DVD good but it's good enough for me.

Scott D
8/3/2007, 04:30 AM

Not that that company and I had an amicable parting back in 2002, but it may be worthwhile for you to know that the moron John Antioco is no longer the CEO (they fired him...apparently only some of the store people, and a few trade magazines knew the guy was regularly pulling in bonuses 3x+ his annual salary for a company that was consistently performing in the red), and they've brought in a new CEO that was the CEO of 7-11.