PDA

View Full Version : Any of the True Freshman Have a Shot?

fwsooner22
8/1/2007, 12:53 PM
Any of you guys who know more than I do (which is most of you) have guesses as to which of the True Freshmen have a shot at playing time?

soonerinabilene
8/1/2007, 12:56 PM
i read somewhere that Austin Box has surprised a lot of people. Dont know if he will play any though.

The Maestro
8/1/2007, 01:00 PM
I have no idea on the status since practice starts tomorrow, but I can't hardly remember freshman getting significant playing time early in the year except for Tommie and AD...anyone else remember any others from day one? Did Reggie Smith...or was he a redshirt?

colleyvillesooner
8/1/2007, 01:15 PM
Reggie started 10 games as a True Frosh.

Malcom Kelly started 6.

Duke played some left tackle early in the season.

Nick Harris started 2 games in the first half of hi freshman year.

snp
8/1/2007, 01:18 PM
Corey Wilson looks to be a lock for PT. Broyles is also projected to get some time, but if Wilson keeps dominating the slot, then Broyles might RS. Stradford is another WR option that seems very likely.

Box will play special teams but is buried a little in the SLB depth chart.

Frank Alexander will get some PT as well at DE.

And maybe that Keith Nichol guy, whoever he is.

snp
8/1/2007, 01:25 PM
I have no idea on the status since practice starts tomorrow, but I can't hardly remember freshman getting significant playing time early in the year except for Tommie and AD...anyone else remember any others from day one? Did Reggie Smith...or was he a redshirt?

Manuel Johnson, Iggy, Lofton, Gresham, Finley, Cooper, Trent Williams, Marcus Walker, Mensik and Lewis Baker to add to colley's list.

soonerinabilene
8/1/2007, 01:26 PM
I dont think keyjuan redshirted, and he had 14 tds if i remember correctly.

colleyvillesooner
8/1/2007, 01:31 PM
Manuel Johnson, Iggy, Lofton, Gresham, Finley, Cooper, Trent Williams, Marcus Walker, Mensik and Lewis Baker to add to colley's list.

Good List...I tried to find the ones that started games early...add Reynolds to yours.

colleyvillesooner
8/1/2007, 01:33 PM
I dont think keyjuan redshirted, and he had 14 tds if i remember correctly.

He red shirted in 2001.

snp
8/1/2007, 02:31 PM
Good List...I tried to find the ones that started games early...add Reynolds to yours.

I could've swore I saw him somewhere else in this thread, otherwise I would've definitely added him as he's the defensive player pick for my man crush this year...oh well, him too.

And just a sidenote about true freshman playing early. This may be blatantly obvious but it didn't dawn on me until recently.

A school like Oklahoma is going to play a larger percentage of true freshman than most schools. The reasoning is two fold - a lot of these top tier recruits are already physically ready for college ball. At mid-majors they need the guys to come in, redshirt, and stay with the program all 5 years to develop and become ready. A good example would be Boise from last year.

And in order to compete for these top shelf recruits, the coach has to show a penchant for playing true freshman since playing time is a huge concern for the best recruits. A good example of this is USC.

colleyvillesooner
8/1/2007, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I had him, but removed him when I stuck with starters.

Rhino
8/1/2007, 03:40 PM
Will probably get some playing time:
Nichol
Stradford and/or Wilson
Lewis

Will probably see time only on special teams:
Box
Fleming
Proctor

SoonerinBoulder
8/1/2007, 03:51 PM

Finley and Mensik redshirted, but the rest of the list is good.

Dan Thompson
8/1/2007, 05:12 PM
How about the running back from Las Vegas - #31 Murray/Murphy?

AlbqSooner
8/1/2007, 08:01 PM
How about the running back from Las Vegas - #31 Murray/Murphy?
He is a redshirt freshman.

CatfishSooner
8/1/2007, 08:05 PM
Murphy...heh.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/1/2007, 08:13 PM
heh.heh!(football starts soon!)

OuFan55
8/1/2007, 08:24 PM
What about DE David Anderson, or DT Jordan Nix?

Both were keys parts of a solid defense that played in the State Finals vs. Carl Albert in Class 5A.

goingoneight
8/1/2007, 08:55 PM
My opinion is that while we have some talented freshmen coming in, we're still a veteran team everywhere but at QB. If any true freshmen comes in to play, methinks it's Nichol... but not as a starter, moreso as game experience.

I really hope that this year we can groom OUr #2 QB in games we have a solid lead in. Joey Halzle could have really gotten some quality reps in against Colorado in the cold and Baylor... and he most definitely should have been in earlier against MTSU IMHO.

Rhino
8/1/2007, 09:12 PM
What about DE David Anderson, or DT Jordan Nix?

Both were keys parts of a solid defense that played in the State Finals vs. Carl Albert in Class 5A. Both of them are (more or less) projects.

They both need to gain some weight and fill out their frames. Anderson needs to gain 25-30 lbs. and Nix needs to gain 15-20 lbs.

And they're both at positions that are deep right now. Anderson wouldn't be able to crack the two-deep and Nix would have a tough time cracking the four-deep...if that's even a classification. And that's not a knock against either of them -- it's just how it is right now.

OuFan55
8/2/2007, 06:59 AM
Both of them are (more or less) projects.

They both need to gain some weight and fill out their frames. Anderson needs to gain 25-30 lbs. and Nix needs to gain 15-20 lbs.

And they're both at positions that are deep right now. Anderson wouldn't be able to crack the two-deep and Nix would have a tough time cracking the four-deep...if that's even a classification. And that's not a knock against either of them -- it's just how it is right now.

Sounds about right I suppose. The amazing thing about a quality school like OU is that they have quality depth in alot of areas.

When you have school standouts in several positions that are 2, 3, or 4 deep- then you know you have plenty of talent for the future.

It must be a pretty big transition for these guys to go from High School to playing on one of the top college football teams in the nation. Maybe in a year or two they might have an opportunity to contribute on the playing field. If not, at least they tried.

MojoRisen
8/2/2007, 08:15 AM
In two years and 6K calorie diets they should be up 40 pounds each - faster and stronger.

I had a brother highly recruited, played a lot of basketball as well and kept his weight down. He was 6-5 210 defensive end in highschool all area in Chicago- 2 years on Campus he was 265 and faster.