PDA

View Full Version : RIP Gunny Loch

jk the sooner fan
8/1/2007, 07:30 AM
sometime during the summer of 1991, I was at CID school at Fort McCellan, Aladadgumbama....and going thru the 2 week crime scene processing part of the school....one of our instructors was a USMC Gunnery Sergeant, Ed Loch - who made a lasting impression on me. little did i know that 15 years later, he would help me out without even knowing it.

When I retired and was looking for a job, I stumbled on the position I'm in now....a small insurance company that had never hired any sort of investigator, but who had been told by their re-insurer that they had to have one. Gunny Loch was the SIU director for Lincoln General in Pennsylvania......he told them to look for a retired Army or Marine CID type....a true blessing in disguise as i was hired....

A little over a year ago, Ed found out he had a fairly agressive cancer with little time to live

He died on 30 July at the age of 50, and will be buried at Arlington National Cemetary.

RIP Gunny Loch - and thank you....

whats truly bizarre is that up to several weeks ago, he and i were emailing each other about life in general ...this morning i get an email from his personal email with the obituary copied into it....

OUDoc
8/1/2007, 07:52 AM
It's scary how fast someone can just be gone.

jk the sooner fan
8/1/2007, 07:55 AM
and you just never know when somebody far away can have such a significant impact on your life.....as mcuh as i hate this job, it does pay the mortgage and a few other things.....its a blessing

GrapevineSooner
8/1/2007, 12:44 PM
My wife's great aunt recently passed away from cancer a few weeks ago.

She had been diagnosed 32 days earlier.

Howzit
8/1/2007, 12:51 PM
Sorry, jk. I can relate, in a way.

I had an ornery old civilian bastage I worked with when I was in the Army that I found out had passed a while back. He was a retired WO, and his name was Otis Goin. He used to delight in making my life miserable, all in good fun. Everyone called him Pappy, which I continued even after getting out of the Army, and would drop in to see him occasionally when business would take me back to El Paso.

He is the one that made me understand that going to college after the Army wasn't something I needed to do, but something I had to do.

Pappy Goin, you were a cantankerous old SOB, and I thank you.

Mjcpr
8/1/2007, 12:53 PM
Was he related to Pat?

Pat McGroin?

Howzit
8/1/2007, 12:53 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

That used to never get old!

:D

jk the sooner fan
8/1/2007, 12:55 PM
Warrant Officer = best!