PDA

View Full Version : Who is OU's biggest rival?

StuMondo
7/31/2007, 03:54 PM
Who is OU's biggest rival:

Texas
Nebraska
Okie Lite
NCAA Probation Board

Snrfn4ever08
7/31/2007, 03:56 PM

Texas
Nebraska
Okie Lite
NCAA Probation Board
This was an absolute no brainer until I saw NationalCommunistsAgainstAthletes Probation Board. Now I'm not so sure of myself :confused:

DeadSolidPerfect
7/31/2007, 04:29 PM

Texas
Nebraska
Okie Lite
NCAA Probation Board
Texas
Fightin' Pumpkins
Corn (don't play every year)

Jason White's Third Knee
7/31/2007, 04:31 PM
NationalCommunistsAgainstAthletes

First thing that I thought of when I heard about the ruling. Fags.

SoonerBOI
7/31/2007, 04:32 PM
Texas - because of tremendous national championship implications.

StuIsTheMan
7/31/2007, 04:33 PM

There ain't room for 2 Stu's on this board....:mad:

;)

bstuff1979
7/31/2007, 04:45 PM
Ditka

MextheBulldog
7/31/2007, 05:16 PM
Chuck Norris, then texazz followed by okie lite in hoops

fadada1
7/31/2007, 06:41 PM
Ditka
agreed. but 11 mini ditkas is hella scary.

Crimsontothecore
7/31/2007, 06:54 PM

Texas
Nebraska
Okie Lite
NCAA Probation Board
78-16-7 hardly describes a "Rivalry"

aurorasooner
7/31/2007, 06:58 PM
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1662/screenshot073ab2.jpg

MyT Oklahoma
7/31/2007, 07:00 PM
Anybody who has been to an OU/Texas game knows the answer to this one.

85sooners
7/31/2007, 07:07 PM
Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em

jk the sooner fan
7/31/2007, 07:07 PM
before the big 12, it was easily nebraska.........texas was an OOC game that didnt have the end of year implications that it does now

since we only play nebbish 2 out of every 4 years, and because the texas game normally determines the big 12 south champ......its easily texas

okie lite isnt anywhere in the equation

John Kochtoston
7/31/2007, 07:14 PM
Baylor, probably. Or Utah State.

aurorasooner
7/31/2007, 07:19 PM
before the big 12, it was easily nebraska.. Totally disagree. Texas has sucked since I was a kid (graduated OU in the mid-70s), but Nebraska has only sucked since the slasher arrived. I don't think it's ever been close no matter if the whorns were OOC or not.

sooner n houston
7/31/2007, 07:29 PM
What jk said!

Newbomb Turk
7/31/2007, 07:31 PM
What jk said!

yep

Okieflyer
7/31/2007, 07:40 PM
yep

http://www.simpleton.com/img/kissass-johnson.gif

:D

OU_Sooners75
7/31/2007, 07:40 PM
Kinda like what jk said.

However I would still say OU/Nebraska is still a bigger rivalry, considering the number of times the winner of that game has played for a National Championship.

OU/Texas is closing the gap though since we do not play Nebraska every year.

OU Adonis
7/31/2007, 07:41 PM
There ain't room for 2 Stu's on this board....:mad:

;)

There can only be one

http://www.thediviningnation.com/Deva/hlndr.jpg

jk the sooner fan
7/31/2007, 07:53 PM
Totally disagree. Texas has sucked since I was a kid (graduated OU in the mid-70s), but Nebraska has only sucked since the slasher arrived. I don't think it's ever been close no matter if the whorns were OOC or not.

i never said they didnt suck before the big 12, i simply said nebraska was our biggest rival before then

rival has little to do with how much a team sucks

notre dame SUCKS, but they arent our rival

goingoneight
7/31/2007, 08:00 PM
OU/TX is for state pride, recruiting and National exposure... you win that game, you're a contender... lose it and no matter what you're considered a pretender. See: Texass 2001. And as stated above, the RRS is not only OU's biggest rivalry, it is arguably the biggest rivalry event in all of sports. Anyone in Dallas in early October will tell you so.

In the days of old, the OU/NU winnar would goeth to the sacred Orange Bowl. Texass replaced NU as OUr conference rival with title implications on teh line. IOW... OSU sucked and the Bed-dumb caterers screwed up a legendary rivalry. I'll bet Nebraska is really happy they miss out on the recruiting advantage Osborne once had by playing the Sooners every year. There are two kinds of recruits in OUr pool... OU lovers, and OU haters. The OU haters would go wherever they could go to get a shot at OU, to play in games such as the Thanksgiving OU/NU traditional home-and-home. When Switzer and Osborne were in their prime, :mack: and T. Boone wouldn't have the recruiting edges they do today. Same for Texas Tech and aTm. Texas in the modern era just so happens to be the better of OUr division foes on a regular basis. Texas will obviously always recruit great Texas HS talent... but the face of college recruits going elsewhere has gone from SMU, Arkansas, Nebraska, etc. back in the King's day to Texas A&M, OSU, Texas Tech, etc. today. Kinda has to do with A: what have you done for me lately, B: traditional power, and C: what am I gonna get to experience... will I play in important games like the RRS?

Difficult to describe, you kinda have to read some Sooner books old versus new, watch a lot of tape and stuff to see what I'm saying.

jk the sooner fan
7/31/2007, 08:02 PM
can you summarize all of that?

birddog
7/31/2007, 08:33 PM
where's bill favor when you want to see a fight over the tex/neb debate?

KantoSooner
7/31/2007, 09:25 PM
Texas, first and foremost. We live next door. It's like fighting with your brother, you never get tired of it.
Nebraska next, too much history to ignore.
Miami and Notre Dame: they ended too many dreams and were mouthy about it. No matter when we play them and how up or down the programs are, it'll be a hate match.
OSU. The in-state wanna be. Must be put in their place, every stinking year. Like flushing roachs. They just keep coming back.
USC. Every damn time we play them there's something evil that happens. But we don't play them that often.
And that's about it.
Yeah, Oregon has generated bad blood, but I wouldn't want to honor them by calling them rivals. Just cheap jack punks who need to get beaten.

Doged
7/31/2007, 10:26 PM
What jk said... used to be Nebraska by a long shot, now saxet by a long shot. OSEwe is a bit of an in-state rivalry, I suppose, but given their lack of overall success in the series it's more an "annual beating down of the loud-mouth aggot fans" type thing than a rivalry between traditional programs.

Though I doubt USC gives us a second thought, I consider them a rival. They schooled OUr guys the last time they played, AND they've schooled us (and are schooling us) on how to deal with the NCAA. We get the moral victory for the NCAA thing, but they get the real victory there, too. I'd love nothing more than another Sooner-USC BCS championship game, with OUr guys giving their's a 77-0 style crushing as payback.

goingoneight
7/31/2007, 10:36 PM
can you summarize all of that?

The good ol' days, the OU/NU Thanksgiving game may not have been an event like the RRS, but it was certainly a battle of heavyweights for conference honors, recruiting points, and post-season implications. OU didn't use to have to fight with the likes of Texas, Tech, aTm, etc back in the day for recruits who wanted to play BIG 8 ball and play for MNCs.

Hook 'em joining OUr division and throwing out the great OU/NU tradition has replaced NU with UT being OUr biggest rival, year in and out. We now fight for a lot of the same recruits, and the RRS is no longer about getting another W and state pride, it's about the very survival of OUr respective programs. NU no longer has a game like the OU/NU or the RRS with the same ramifications to boost recruiting, keep them on track to play championship football, etc.

I can't really describe it any other way other than to say the tables have turned a little with the re-alignment of the conference back in '96.

SouthFortySooner
7/31/2007, 11:00 PM
Texas=Rivalry, Neb= big games

Zing
8/1/2007, 01:50 AM
The Daleks.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/1/2007, 01:56 AM
where's bill favor when you want to see a fight over the tex/neb debate?He told me what to say, and I agree, anyway...It's stinkin' domer, followed by rancid tx, then nebbish.(lOSUr is just a pimple on the Sooners' posterior)

Octavian
8/1/2007, 02:04 AM
Strictly as of now and in football:

Beating Texas is more fun than anything else.

Losing to OSU is worse than anything else.

OU-Nebraska is a shadow of its former self. The loss of the Big Red Rivalry is the great sin of the Big XII.

Taken all together...it's Texas in a landslide.

Edmond Sooner
8/1/2007, 02:19 AM
Schnelly. Lester. Corso. In no particular order.

SoonerKnight
8/1/2007, 02:30 AM
I was going to say Texas but this is a pretty long record with Nebraska and OU.

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/ou_neb_record.html

Landthief 1972
8/1/2007, 09:22 AM
I'd say Texas, but as a Sooner fan living in Stoolwater West (Kingfisher), the smack talking about b-e-d-l-a-m gets pretty intense. You can't walk into a fastfood place in K-town without seeing an OSU hat on the cashier or frycook. :stunned:

jk the sooner fan
8/1/2007, 09:23 AM
I'd say Texas, but as a Sooner fan living in Stoolwater West (Kingfisher), the smack talking about b-e-d-l-a-m gets pretty intense. You can't walk into a fastfood place in K-town without seeing an OSU hat on the cashier or frycook. :stunned:

at least the Judge there is an OU alum and Sooner fan ;)

TexasSooner01
8/1/2007, 09:41 AM
Anybody who has been to an OU/Texas game knows the answer to this one.

Totally Agree!!!

:D

8/1/2007, 10:22 AM
Totally Agree!!!

:DAnyone on this message board who has NOT been to an OU-tx game, most certainly SHOULD, and SOON, before you get run over by a car or something.

Landthief 1972
8/1/2007, 11:30 AM
Anyone on this message board who has NOT been to an OU-tx game, most certainly SHOULD, and SOON, before you get run over by a car or something.

Which email address should use to send you my mailing address for those free tickets and spending money? :D

TexasSooner01
8/1/2007, 11:33 AM
Anyone on this message board who has NOT been to an OU-tx game, most certainly SHOULD, and SOON, before you get run over by a car or something.

I have been to plenty of OU/TX games...so i have nothing to worry about. :cool:

Nothing is greater when it comes to energy, dont matter if it is raining, cold or hotter than hell...the energy and emotion is solid.

8/1/2007, 11:33 AM
Which email address should use to send you my mailing address for those free tickets and spending money? :DPriorities, fella!

TexasLidig8r
8/1/2007, 11:41 AM
http://cdn.harpercollins.com/harperimages/isbn/large/1/9780060852771.jpg

Snrfn4ever08
8/1/2007, 11:53 AM
Which email address should use to send you my mailing address for those free tickets and spending money? :D
Count me in too :D