PDA

View Full Version : Parents ...

SOONERKAT
7/31/2007, 01:54 PM
This may seem like a morbid question, but has anybody here ever had a brush with running over their child? I read two stories today alone where two toddlers (one in Texas and the other in Nevada) were run over by their mother's as they were playing. Both dead. Call me over-protective, and please forgive me if this has been discussed prior, but is it that easy to be so negligent? I don't want to hear any of this " I thought they were inside" crap either. If you have an average two year old (average meaning rambunctious, curious, etc ...), then you have to account for their whereabouts when backing your vehicle up.

Sorry about the rant, but between these stories, the children left in hot cars stories, and even the recent child that was found hanging from his trampoline here in Houston last week, I'm starting to think that a license to breed is a good idea

Mjcpr
7/31/2007, 01:56 PM
I've tried but they're a lot quicker on their feet than you would think.

sooner_born_1960
7/31/2007, 01:58 PM
The parents involved in the cases you've mentioned would have probably said the same as you. But guess what? Accidents happen. Hindsight is 20/20.

TUSooner
7/31/2007, 02:01 PM

WORST POST EVER !
That's just soooooooooo verrrry wrong.

:D :D :D

crawfish
7/31/2007, 02:02 PM
Never, never done it. On accident.

TUSooner
7/31/2007, 02:03 PM
Actually....
I think about it every time I start the car, and my daughters are teenagers. In fact, I worry about getting run over myself every time they start the car.

NormanPride
7/31/2007, 02:35 PM
I backed into a kid in a parking lot once. :( It was just a bump, but it still scared the crap out of me, and there was no way I could have seen him. He ran right behind my car, and was too short to see over the trunk. Luckily, his mom was there, and he was more scared of her than he was hurt from me bumping into him.

You can tell them to be careful around cars as much as you want, but kids get excited and forget everything you tell them.

Hamhock
7/31/2007, 02:43 PM
i used to think the same thing about leaving kids in the car on accident, but after having 3 in the car at the same time, i can appreciate better how it happens.

SOONERKAT
7/31/2007, 02:46 PM

OK, I admit it. I laughed out loud at that one.

Ike
7/31/2007, 02:54 PM
My .02 on this kind of thing:
The technology exists, and is more than easily adaptable to cars, to give drivers protection against these kinds of things. A whole buttload of cars now have this big honkin screen right on the dash for navigation and what not. It would be a breeze to mount a tiny camera on the back bumper or on the trunk that automatically shows the area behind your car that is obstructed when you switch into reverse. Easy peasy. Prolly would cost manufacturers an extra 100 bucks to stick on there.

Further, we already have sensors that can detect whether or not someone is sitting in a seat when when the car starts so that the car can bitch at them to put their seatbelt on. It wouldn't be much more of a stretch to have those sensors check the car when it gets locked from the outside and honk the horn at you if it detects a kid in the car. That could be added with just a few lines of code on most cars I think.

Mongo
7/31/2007, 02:57 PM

there is your problem, your aiming where they are, not where they are going to be.

Anticipation is the key

Pricetag
7/31/2007, 03:23 PM
Not so far. We live in a cul-de-sac with four other families with kids under five, so I try to get visual confirmation on every kid, and even then, I creep backward.

StoopTroup
7/31/2007, 03:32 PM
I got hit by a car when I was 10.

That was 1968.

Some things never change.

If you have cars and trucks....there are going to be accidents.

Now if the driver was like the gal they videotaped running over her Husband 8 times....

Mjcpr
7/31/2007, 03:34 PM
I got hit by a car when I was 10.

That was 1968.
Did you suffer a severe head trauma?

Hamhock
7/31/2007, 03:40 PM
Now if the driver was like the gal they videotaped running over her Husband 8 times....

heh. we videotaped that once. i promised her i would delete it as soon as we were done *snicker*.

StoopTroup
7/31/2007, 03:42 PM
Did you have a severe head trauma?
I had a minor bump on the noggin....

My right foot however...

The guy ran over it with the brakes on....

It did a 90% amputation and dislocated the foot from the leg.

They had to re-build the lower right shin as it twisted all the muscles in there.

They had to do a skin graph 30 days after the original operation to save the leg and foot.

The only skin that wasn't torn around my ankle was about 3 inches from the instep to above the heel area of the inside of my right ankle.

After the guy hit me I tried to get up and could see my leg bones protruding and my foot was gone. My foot was wrapped up in my sock and had turnquetted the bleeding. I was so lucky. All the tendons and nerves were in that area and the achilles heel was damaged...but they were able to let it heal. I was on crutches so long that I had to learn to walk again.

Mongo
7/31/2007, 03:44 PM
Did you suffer a severe head trauma?

I bet you feel like an *** now

StoopTroup
7/31/2007, 03:50 PM
:D

Turd_Ferguson
7/31/2007, 04:02 PM
My boy's are tall enough to see when I back out of the drive. Any time I leave, I always tell my 6 year old daughter bye, so I know where she is. It's the little bastages in the neighborhood you have to watch out for. I backed over a skate board a few weeks ago. I almost **** my pants. I now check behind me before backing out of my drive.

Osce0la
7/31/2007, 04:13 PM
I nearly hit a kid in a parking lot one day (2 kids actually). I was trying to leave, and the next thing I know these 2 kids bolt out the door of one of the resteraunts on this little strip. They never look to make sure a car isn't coming, they just come out of the resteraunt running as fast as they can. I missed them by about 2 feet. I watch to see where they go (trying to figure out where in the hell their parents are), and I see the parents, standing next to their car, on the other side of the parking lot laughing, not even knowing their children were nearly run over...

Mjcpr
7/31/2007, 05:15 PM
I bet you feel like an *** now

Not as much as you might think. :D