PDA

View Full Version : Hospital bans crocs

OUDoc
7/31/2007, 01:06 PM
Forget that they're ugly and expensive.

The wildly popular Crocs -- the funky, clog-like resin shoe derided by the fashion conscious -- have been deemed unsafe by administrators at Mercy Hospital, Uptown.

Workers in patient-care areas no longer can wear Crocs because the shoes have holes and pose a safety hazard, said Sharon Krystofiak, the hospital's infection control manager.

"If there's a chance you could drop something like a syringe in one of them, we want to avoid that," Krystofiak said. "Some of those holes are relatively large, almost like a dime."

In addition to blood seeping into the holes, Mercy officials are concerned about sharp objects, too.

"I think it's ridiculous," said Kara Depasquale, a Mercy ICU nurse who yesterday was working in her new Steelers Crocs -- black with a gold strap. "I mean, I can get a needle stuck in my arm or my leg."

Depasquale, 23, swears by the shoe's comfort. "I work 12-hour shifts, and I'm constantly on my feet," she said.

Mercy's policy, which took effect Monday, is a first among local hospitals. A spokeswoman at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center knew of no plans to ban Crocs at UPMC's 18 hospitals. A spokesman at West Penn Allegheny Health System said the shoes can be worn at its six hospitals.

The rubbery, slip-resistant Crocs, which debuted in late 2002, sell in more than 80 countries for about $30. The company last year reported net sales of $224.3 million.

News about the Crocs ban trickled slowly yesterday at Mercy's campus, where Crocs are popular among doctors, nurses and other workers. About a dozen employees said they didn't know about the policy.

Like many hospitals, Mercy's personal appearance policy also bans flip-flops and open-toed shoes in clinical areas.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/cityregion/s_519819.html

Open-toed shoes have been baned in every hospital I've ever worked in. I was never sure how Crocs were really any different.

Mjcpr
7/31/2007, 01:11 PM
Define "open-toed" shoes.

OUDoc
7/31/2007, 01:16 PM
Define "open-toed" shoes.
I would define it as being able to see your feet or toes while the shoe is still on your foot.

Hamhock
7/31/2007, 01:18 PM
i got some OU crocs for my birthday.

as a result of this, I have decided not to go to medical school.

Mjcpr
7/31/2007, 01:18 PM
I would define it as being able to see your feet or toes while the shoe is still on your foot.

Okay....I was thinking Crocs had a closed toe but they're pretty open everywhere else. Not sure if that would be "open-toed" or not.

Can I post a pic of an open toe?

OUDoc
7/31/2007, 01:20 PM
Can I post a pic of an open toe?
Is it smoking?

sooner_born_1960
7/31/2007, 01:22 PM
How about if I wear socks?

Mjcpr
7/31/2007, 01:22 PM
Is it smoking?

It's pretty cute, yeah.

Hamhock
7/31/2007, 01:23 PM
"If there's a chance you could drop something like a syringe in one of them, we want to avoid that," Krystofiak said. "Some of those holes are relatively large, almost like a dime."

are steel-toed boots required?

OUDoc
7/31/2007, 01:24 PM
How about if I wear socks?
I'm okay with that, the hospitals weren't though.

Always seemed like more of a hygiene (rather than safety) issue to me.

Mjcpr
7/31/2007, 01:26 PM
Those are some big sized holes. I can see how you might get a gut or a tumor stuck in one or something.

Okla-homey
7/31/2007, 01:41 PM
FWIW, they have never been allowed at the wife's hospital. She even had to make someone go home and come back in real shoes once.

LilSooner
7/31/2007, 02:36 PM
Thank God! More hospitals need to do this. They are disgusting. Imagine some stank *** walking into surgery wearing those damn things with out socks. Even though they have foot covers on the tops of your feet are still visible.

I don't know how many of you have watched an actual surgery, but depending on what they are doing it can get pretty damn bloody/wet. Especially if they are doing an orthopedic surgery. Not every drape out there is designed to absorb that much fluid so there is only one place that ****s got to go. Right in yer damn crocs.

I hate those f'ing thing.

Hamhock
7/31/2007, 02:41 PM
I don't know how many of you have watched an actual surgery, but depending on what they are doing it can get pretty damn bloody/wet. Especially if they are doing an orthopedic surgery. .

i was on the phone with a client once and I swore he was at the auto mechanic. i heard some hammering and banging. i asked him to step outside and he said he couldn't, he was in the middle of surgery. he was doing a knee replacement.

LilSooner
7/31/2007, 02:45 PM
Was he the implant rep? Please tell me he wasn't the doctor!

Those implant reps are always in the surgery, but they aren't suppose to on the phone. If he was in one of my accounts the docs would have thrown him out on his ***!

Hamhock
7/31/2007, 02:52 PM
Was he the implant rep? Please tell me he wasn't the doctor!

Those implant reps are always in the surgery, but they aren't suppose to on the phone. If he was in one of my accounts the docs would have thrown him out on his ***!

he is an m.d. anesthesia.

TexasLidig8r
7/31/2007, 03:03 PM
Crocs are to shoes...

what Godfather III was to I and II...

An abomination in man's eyes.

In 5 years, people will look back upon them and say.. "What the hell was I thinking?!"

LilSooner
7/31/2007, 03:22 PM
he is an m.d. anesthesia.

Oh well then never mind. I have a lot of anesthesia guys bring books in to read and all kinds of stuff. They don't have to be as sterile as they do in front of anesthesia screen.

StoopTroup
7/31/2007, 03:47 PM
My foot Doctor took my crocs.

I never had foot trouble until I wore those..

Okla-homey
7/31/2007, 03:55 PM
For kids, fine. For adults, they scream "I am a tastless sucker for every fad."

No offense intended for any adult Croc-wearers here. It so happens that you need to hear this from someone. It's what everyone else is thinking.

Turd_Ferguson
7/31/2007, 04:12 PM
For kids, fine. For adults, they scream "I am a tastless sucker for every fad."

No offense intended for any adult Croc-wearers here. It so happens that you need to hear this from someone. It's what everyone else is thinking.

Funny......I was thinking the same thing.

silverwheels
7/31/2007, 04:18 PM
Crocs are the coolest things ever. I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Hamhock
7/31/2007, 04:19 PM
Oh well then never mind. I have a lot of anesthesia guys bring books in to read and all kinds of stuff. They don't have to be as sterile as they do in front of anesthesia screen.

i saw in the news the other day a big story about an anesthesiologist falling asleep during surgery. then, i wondered how an anesthesiologist falling asleep during surgery makes the news.

StoopTroup
7/31/2007, 05:06 PM
If you've never worn crocs...

You may not understand just how comfortable they are...

They have no support however...

I'm guessing that crocs are like most things in life....

Use them in moderation...

If I ever own another pair...they'll be used around the house or at the gym locker room.

I will never use them to go to the store or as everyday footwear.

bluedogok
7/31/2007, 05:09 PM
They remind me of an updated version of those Jellies shoes.
Just because you can wear something, doesn't mean that you should wear it.

soonerboomer93
7/31/2007, 05:19 PM
actually, I heard crocs had a line out just for medical professionals that eliminated the hole problem...

eh, I wouldn't wear them, I have treid them and they are comfortable though...

sanantoniosooner
7/31/2007, 05:54 PM
The same argument applies to cars. I don't care how nice the interior is if it looks like a turd on the outside.

If you wear crocs you might as well get a rainbow bumper sticker on your VW beetle.

Jerk
7/31/2007, 06:22 PM
Don't mess with a guy wearing pink crocs
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=578174

Turd_Ferguson
7/31/2007, 06:31 PM
actually, I heard crocs had a line out just for medical professionals that eliminated the hole problem...

eh, I wouldn't wear them, I have treid them and they are comfortable though... You may be correct. I think the Wife has some with no holes. She works in Labor & Delivery on her feet for 12 hours at a time (okay, maybe an hour or so is on her back, I don't know) and she went back to her Nike Shocks.

OUHOMER
7/31/2007, 07:56 PM
i love my crocs and wear them proudly when ever i can.

jk the sooner fan
7/31/2007, 07:59 PM
i'm not sure which i hate more, crocs or baggy on the hip showin yer boxers jeans......

its a close race for certain

what disturbs me the most is when i see little 2 year olds wearing crocs

for crying out loud, why dont you just dress them in osu stuff

r5TPsooner
7/31/2007, 08:21 PM
I have a pair of the OU croc sandals and while they are a bit pricey,they are extremely comfortable and convenient.

I usually keep mine in the cab of my truck to wear after a round of golf.

Kind of a dumb policy IMHO and it appears that some administrators need some real work to do.

LilSooner
7/31/2007, 09:17 PM
I have a pair of the OU croc sandals and while they are a bit pricey,they are extremely comfortable and convenient.

I usually keep mine in the cab of my truck to wear after a round of golf.

Kind of a dumb policy IMHO and it appears that some administrators need some real work to do.

Seriously? It is not a dumb policy. Crocs are stupid shoes that should never be worn in an OR. THEY HAVE HOLES IN THEM! When you are cutting in to someone there is typically a lot of fluid, things slip out of hand, a scalpel lands on a scrubs foot who happens to be wearing crocs and it slices off a toe. Hospital get sued because scrub got hurt on the job, patient is comprimised because they have to stop the surgery to attend to dumbass scrub who had to wear the crocs for "comfort", cost of surgery goes up because they then have to pull extra supplies to a clean up mess that scub left as they are bleeding, also the cost of a new scalpel and blade.

Crocs are evil.

sanantoniosooner
7/31/2007, 09:24 PM
Folks........you can throw out all the "facts" you want.

Regardless of additional information or interjection it boils down to one thing.

Crocs are to shoes as Sic'em is to manhood.

soonerbrat
7/31/2007, 09:26 PM
I've seen crocs without the holes made specifically for health care workers.

OUDoc
7/31/2007, 09:28 PM
...and a donut with no holes is a danish.

Mongo
7/31/2007, 10:31 PM
I want my surgeon to be as comfortable as they can be. I dont care if they wear bikini undies and crocs while stradling my chest, performing a vasectomy on me. Do what you have to, to make sure everything goes ok

OUDoc
8/1/2007, 07:54 AM
I want my surgeon to be as comfortable as they can be. I dont care if they wear bikini undies and crocs while stradling my chest, performing a vasectomy on me. Do what you have to, to make sure everything goes ok
Have I got the doc for you.

Triumph
8/1/2007, 08:01 AM
Is it just me, or is Lil hating on nurses?

C&CDean
8/1/2007, 08:47 AM
Bikerfox wears crocs. That oughta tell you everything you need to know about them.

critical_phil
8/1/2007, 08:53 AM
Seriously? It is not a dumb policy. Crocs are stupid shoes that should never be worn in an OR. THEY HAVE HOLES IN THEM! When you are cutting in to someone there is typically a lot of fluid, things slip out of hand, a scalpel lands on a scrubs foot who happens to be wearing crocs and it slices off a toe. Hospital get sued because scrub got hurt on the job, patient is comprimised because they have to stop the surgery to attend to dumbass scrub who had to wear the crocs for "comfort", cost of surgery goes up because they then have to pull extra supplies to a clean up mess that scub left as they are bleeding, also the cost of a new scalpel and blade.

Crocs are evil.

oh, to be young again.

such an active imagination....

Okla-homey
8/1/2007, 09:02 AM

Look. You could kill a couple possums, slit their bellies and stick your feet into them and that would be comfy too (in a warm, squishy way), but I don't recommend it.

Grown-up people, just leave them on the shelf. Like "Trix," they're for kids.

LilSooner
8/1/2007, 01:11 PM
Is it just me, or is Lil hating on nurses?

Oh no you didn't! I have some of the most fabulous nurses in the state!

I am hating on those fagalicious crocs.

OUDoc
8/1/2007, 01:22 PM
I have some of the most fabulous nurses in the state!

I had some, but I'm married now.

Chuck Bao
8/1/2007, 01:56 PM
I try to avoid plastic clothes, particularly plastic underwear, socks and shoes (except flip flops at the beach, of course).

That is until today and I was driving home on my bike in a rain storm and I noticed this farang (white) guy was on a small bike and he was wearing some gawd-awful, bright-yellow plastic shoes.

I assume they be crocs given the pics you guys posted - closed toe but with holes and back open with a moveable brace across the heal.

For a second there I was tempted. But, thinking about it later I realise that that's pretty nasty. When it rains, it floods and I don't want my feet to get washed in the street water mixed with sewer water.

This has nothing to do with hospitals. I was just thinking that comfort is good, but some times you have to wear your leather shoes and some times the full rubber boots.

Sooner in Tampa
8/2/2007, 06:12 AM
So I guess this will put to bed the argument about holes in them. :P
http://www.shoes.com/productimages/shoes_idec1021244.jpg

sanantoniosooner
8/2/2007, 07:39 AM
Wow.

Without holes they still look stupid.

Spray
8/2/2007, 09:25 AM
Crocs should be banned from life.

LilSooner
8/3/2007, 01:28 PM
The definitive word from Manolo Blahnik (for you yahoos that don't know who he is a God of the shoe world. He also charges 700 bucks a pair.)

Manolo says, little baby children, such as the Violet Affleck seen above, may wear the Crocs. However, if you are the fully grown person you should avoid these ridiculous and childish rubber monstrosities.

“But Manolo,” cry the infantile, the misguided, and the willfully perverse, “the Crocs, they are so comfortable”.

Manolo answers, “so are the cardboard boxes filled with the combination of styrofoam packing peanuts and Vaseline.”

And just as the sensible person knows not to submerge their feets into such things, no matter how pleasant it may seem, so too does the sensible person know to avoid the Crocs.”

Boarder
8/3/2007, 02:07 PM
They're not even comfortable. They're spongy with no support at all.