PDA

View Full Version : Computer question

MamaMia
7/31/2007, 10:58 AM
If I unplug my computer and all the attachments would I be able to plug it back in next week without any problems?

sooner_born_1960
7/31/2007, 10:58 AM
Yes

MamaMia
7/31/2007, 11:01 AM
YesEven if I store it in the garage? I ask because I closed the air conditioning vent to save on my bill, so its pretty warm in there.

sooner_born_1960
7/31/2007, 11:03 AM
They ship computer in ups/fedex trailers that are a lot hotter than your garage.

Edit: USPS trailers too. Sorry, Dean.

Mjcpr
7/31/2007, 11:03 AM
You have an a/c vent to your garage?

sooner_born_1960
7/31/2007, 11:08 AM
You have an a/c vent to your garage?
That went right past me. Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of that.

MamaMia
7/31/2007, 11:16 AM
That went right past me. Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of that.
Yes. It also delivers heat in the winter but it runs my bill up something fierce since the insulation in there isn't very good.

I have one of those Broadband things. The sbc people wont shut me down if my computer is off for a week will they? :confused:

oumartin
7/31/2007, 11:19 AM
so why are you turning off your puter for?

OCUDad
7/31/2007, 11:22 AM
Assuming you're running Windows, you won't have too many problems and they'll mostly be minor. Sometimes the system has to "re-discover" previously-attached devices like printers and such. Be patient and you won't have much problem getting back to where you were.

And no, your ISP won't shut you off for not using something you're paying for. They probably prefer it that way... lower support costs. :rolleyes:

(I assume you're remodeling again, you wealthy woman, you)

sooner_born_1960
7/31/2007, 11:43 AM
Yes. It also delivers heat in the winter but it runs my bill up something fierce since the insulation in there isn't very good.

I have one of those Broadband things. The sbc people wont shut me down if my computer is off for a week will they? :confused:
They won't shut you down unless you don't pay the bill.
I assume the thermostat is in the house. Once the house gets cool the unit shuts off. The garage probably is really that cool yet, is it?

MamaMia
7/31/2007, 03:14 PM
They won't shut you down unless you don't pay the bill.
I assume the thermostat is in the house. Once the house gets cool the unit shuts off. The garage probably is really that cool yet, is it?Lets just say that the garage and I have a lot in common in the temperature department. ;)

Assuming you're running Windows, you won't have too many problems and they'll mostly be minor. Sometimes the system has to "re-discover" previously-attached devices like printers and such. Be patient and you won't have much problem getting back to where you were.

And no, your ISP won't shut you off for not using something you're paying for. They probably prefer it that way... lower support costs. :rolleyes:

(I assume you're remodeling again, you wealthy woman, you)I hope that any problems I encounter wont prevent me from logging on here to ask y'all what I should do to fix whatever might happen.

...and I'm not remodeling right now. I couldn't get a builder in this town no matter how many eyelashes I bat or cleavage I show. Believe me, I've tried. :rolleyes:

According to my mother in law, the newspaper had a couple of stories on how busy they all are with some county and city projects we have going on, so my re-do and add on job will have to wait quite a while I'm afraid. :(

bluedogok
7/31/2007, 04:19 PM
It should be no different than turning off the computer. It should boot up without any problems just like you are turning it on.

StoopTroup
7/31/2007, 05:12 PM
We have some friends who bought this really nice house in South Tulsa...

They put in one of those gas stoves in the garage along with a TV...

It's a 3 car garage.

They pull the two cars in at night...

The other bay...

They don't like to smoke in the house so they have basically a small living room in the 3rd bay....

It's kind of a cool idea as they can do projects in the garage and never mess up the house...

I just don't get that they paid big money to have a house they don't use...

Since the guys Wifey is from Arkansas and she's anal about the House being clean...I think she makes him live in the garage...:D

SoonerKnight
7/31/2007, 05:17 PM
You can leave your computer stored for awhile w/o problems. As for heat that is only when the computer is running do you need to worry about that. Also if you leave it stored past two years you may then have problems because there is a battery that keeps the system bios information stored and eventually it goes dead then you have to put in a new battery and set your bios up.

SoonerGirl06
7/31/2007, 07:44 PM
Heh... the whorn coming for another visit, Mama?

bluedogok
7/31/2007, 08:20 PM
Heh... the whorn coming for another visit, Mama?
That's what I was thinking....

OCUDad
7/31/2007, 08:38 PM
It should be no different than turning off the computer. It should boot up without any problems just like you are turning it on.Sort of, but not quite. My experience has been that unplugging the computer, even for a short while, sometimes causes Windows to "forget" some devices that were attached before the power was disconnected. (which doesn't happen if you just turn it off and don't pull the plug). It's generally no big deal, but you have to wait a while for the system to rediscover the hardware - almost as if you had just installed it. But as long as the drivers are still on the machine, you should be good to go. Just wait for Windows to recover from temporary Alzheimer's.

OUinFLA
7/31/2007, 08:39 PM
you lost a bet that you couldnt post on SF.com for a week didn't you?

OCUDad
7/31/2007, 08:42 PM
:confused:

bluedogok
7/31/2007, 08:50 PM
Sort of, but not quite. My experience has been that unplugging the computer, even for a short while, sometimes causes Windows to "forget" some devices that were attached before the power was disconnected. (which doesn't happen if you just turn it off and don't pull the plug). It's generally no big deal, but you have to wait a while for the system to rediscover the hardware - almost as if you had just installed it. But as long as the drivers are still on the machine, you should be good to go. Just wait for Windows to recover from temporary Alzheimer's.
The only time that I have run across that is if I actually changed some hardware and with 6 computers that has happened a few times. I have had one unplugged for a year and as long as I didn't swap hardware around it boot up just like I had it on the day before. The only real time that it has been an issue is the motherboard battery situation that SoonerKnight brought up.

GottaHavePride
7/31/2007, 10:51 PM
1. Shut the computer down properly, THEN unplug the power, THEN unplug the hardware.

2. Excessive heat CAN be a problem. Heat causes particles in magnetic media to lose their alignment. Meaning there's a slight chance you could wind up with some corrupted files on your hard drive. I don't think the heat in a garage would be enough to do that, though.

3. The only other problem you might run into is there's usually a small lithium battery on your motherboard somewhere. If that battery has died, you might need to re-set the clock on your computer when you plug it back in. EDIT: SoonerKnight covered this one already.