PDA

View Full Version : OU 13th

StuIsTheMan
7/31/2007, 09:41 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=247758

Best thing in the article...

The Showdown: vs. Oklahoma State The Cowboys are talking big. Time for the Sooners to remind the Pokes of their second-class citizenship in the state.

XingTheRubicon
7/31/2007, 10:15 AM
Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 Oklahoma

Posted: July 30, 2007

Kirk Bohls (AASWhorn)
For Sporting News

Oklahoma battened down the hatches and closed spring practices after last year's stunning Fiesta Bowl loss to Boise State -- the Sooners' Big 12-leading fifth BCS bowl appearance.

The Sooners will play seven home games this season and figure to contend for a national championship if they find stability at quarterback, get by Miami (Fla.) early and snap a two-game losing streak to Texas. The Sooners have the makings of an explosive offense and the league's best secondary.

OFFENSIVE PHILOSOPHY
An unproven quarterback could cause the Sooners to pass less and hand off more to their stable of strong running backs. They will pound away behind an experienced line and rely on high-percentage throws to a solid cast of wide receivers and tight ends.

SKILL POSITIONS
For the third year in a row, the offense will break in a new quarterback. Sam Bradford opened eyes with his scout team work last fall and has a good understanding of the offense. He will battle junior Joey Halzle, who threw two passes last year, and Keith Nichol, a true freshman. Nichol is a dual-threat quarterback who switched his commitment from Michigan State.

Top 25 countdown
No. 25 BYU
No. 24 Southern Miss
No. 23 Nebraska
No. 22 Boise State
No. 21 South Florida
No. 20 TCU
No. 19 Rutgers
No. 18 Tennessee
No. 17 Ohio State
No. 16 Auburn
No. 15 Penn State
No. 14 Georgia
Allen Patrick eases concerns over the loss of big-play back Adrian Peterson, who left early for the NFL. Patrick was outstanding when he replaced the injured Peterson last season, and the Sooners won all five games he started. Patrick, a straight-ahead runner with excellent burst and breakaway speed, figures to be one of the Big 12's top running backs.

Tough, strong sophomore Chris Brown will get his carries, too, and redshirt freshmen Mossis Madu and DeMarco Murray will push for playing time. Murray had a sensational spring, so expect him to get plenty of touches.

The team's best player might be Malcolm Kelly, a strong 6-4 wideout who caught 62 passes last season and 10 in the Big 12 title game against Nebraska. Kelly has the ability to become the conference's premier receiver, but he must get more physical.

Juaquin Iglesias also will be a star if he improves his routes and consistency, and Murray and Madu could be dangerous working out of the slot. Tight ends Jermaine Gresham and Joe Jon Finley are big, reliable targets.

OFFENSIVE LINE
Center Jon Cooper anchors the conference's biggest and best front wall, and mammoth guard George Robinson has All-America potential if his pass protection reaches the level of his run-blocking. Tackle Branndon Braxton should be ready after sitting out spring practice with a broken leg. Look for junior-college tackle Phil Loadholt to make good use of quick feet and 360 pounds in his pursuit of the only starting job available.

DEFENSIVE PHILOSOPHY
Few teams attack like the Sooners. Fiery coordinator Brent Venables has defensive backs who can tackle and cover, and he will emphasize speed and send blitzers any time and in any situation.

Schedule
Date Opponent '06 score Last 5
9-1 North Texas
5-0
9-8 * Miami
2-3
9-15 Utah State
3-0
9-21 at Tulsa-x
4-1
9-29 at Colorado 24-3 5-0
10-6 ** vs. Texas-xx 10-28 3-2
10-13 Missouri 26-10 4-1
10-20 at Iowa State 34-9 5-0
11-3 Texas A&M 17-16 4-1
11-10 Baylor 36-10 5-0
11-17 at Texas Tech 34-24 4-1
11-24 *** Oklahoma State 27-21 4-1
x-Friday xx-at Dallas * Toughest game ** Must win *** Best chance to be upset
Big 12 schedule strength: 8th
The Series: Texas (39-57-5)
Given the malise of the Big 12 North, this has become the league championship game. It's time for the Sooners to end a two-game skid in the Red River Shootout after winning five in a row.
The Showdown: vs. Oklahoma State
The Cowboys are talking big. Time for the Sooners to remind the Pokes of their second-class citizenship in the state.
The Smack: Built for success
Save for a visit to Texas Tech, all of the heavy lifting will be done at home or a neutral site. Go ahead and dream big. Circle the Miami game. The teams met three times in the 1980s -- and the Canes won them all, including a 1985 visit to Norman.
FRONT SEVEN
An inexperienced defensive front will depend on tackle DeMarcus Granger, who has playmaker potential despite an inconsistent 2006 performance. Redshirt freshman tackles Gerald McCoy and Adrian Taylor, both big-time recruits, eventually will make plays, too. Alonzo Dotson showed potential late last season at the otherwise depleted end position.

The Sooners always seem to come up with tough, active linebackers. They're hoping junior college All-American Mike Reed fills a void in a unit missing two starters, and that promising Ryan Reynolds picks up where he left off before a knee injury sidelined him for the 2006 season. Curtis Lofton might be the Big 12's hardest hitter, and Lewis Baker and Demarrio Pleasant bring plenty of experience. True freshman Austin Box also has opened some eyes.

SECONDARY
No team has a more seasoned secondary. The Sooners have 10 players with experience, but they must be more physical and tackle better in space. The centerpiece figures to be Reggie Smith, who will line up at either strong safety or cornerback, where he worked in the spring. Marcus Walker and Lendy Holmes have become solid cover corners, and coaches have high hopes for Quinton Carter, who can deliver a blow. If anyone slips, free safeties Nic Harris and Darien Williams both have starting experience.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Garrett Hartley is one of the nation's best kickers. He missed one of his 20 field-goal tries last season -- a block by Oregon that cost the Sooners a win. Hartley had 31 touchbacks on kickoffs. Michael Cohen and Mike Knall will compete for the punting job. Punt returner Smith and kick returner Iglesias are always threats to score.

COACHING STAFF
Bob Stoops' halo has slipped a bit. But it's hard to find fault with the way the hard-driving, aggressive-minded coach and his staff brought the Sooners back from last season's 3-2 start: eight straight wins and the Big 12 championship.

SN projection: 2nd in Big 12 South, 10-2, Cotton Bowl

Snrfn4ever08
7/31/2007, 10:40 AM
And for what reason does this article have Miami as our toughest game? I wish Miami was our toughest game but I think saxet, and honestly TAMU, will both be tougher.

snp
7/31/2007, 11:49 AM
Because Miami has some sick defensive talent and it's early in the year.

The Maestro
7/31/2007, 12:00 PM
Miami might have sick defensive talent, but they also have no offense to speak of. Didn't Duke almost beat Miami last year? Sorry, no Michael Irvin, Bennie and Brian Blades, Jerome Brown, Dan Stubbs, George Mira, Jr., Vinny T., Mel Bratton or Alonzo Highsmith on this Miami squad. The team from the 80's was loaded with studs. I think 3 points will be enough for us to beat Miami.

Research...Miami offense last year. Now new coordinator Patrick Nix takes over. Wasn't he an Auburn QB a few years back? Name sounds familiar. Anyway, some point totals for Miami last year.

10 - FSU
7 - Louisville
14 - Houston. Yes, Houston. Not the Oilers or Texans. And in Miami, no less.
20 - Duke
23 - Georgia Tech. Probably best showing all year.
10 - Va Tech
7 - Virginia
17 - Boston College
21 - Nevada

Yes, it is a new season, but also a new system for an already weak offense. But that is six games with less than 20 points scored and 9 with 23 or less. They posted 27 on UNC, 35 on FIU and 51 on Florida A&M. Congrats. We are routing the Cubans.

bri
7/31/2007, 12:10 PM
Ah, I love the neverending ignorance of homers.

"What? Miami has one of the nation's toughest defenses and we're breaking in a new quarterback? DOESN'T MATTER! They suck and we rule! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

snp
7/31/2007, 12:14 PM

"What? Miami has one of the nation's toughest defenses and we're breaking in a new quarterback? DOESN'T MATTER! They suck and we rule! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

This.

VVV and that.

Octavian
7/31/2007, 12:18 PM
OFFENSIVE PHILOSOPHY
An unproven quarterback could cause the Sooners to pass less...

that seems to be the prevailing opinion but the passing game could be better this year than at any time since JW.

The OL pass protection shouldn't be in shambles (like '05) and we won't have a quarterback who isn't a true passer (like '06).

Bradford has a good arm and showed in the spring he can make some nice throws. If he's given time like he should be given....he can distribute the ball to the receiving corps.

I don't think defenses will consistently be able to load up 8....at least not after several games into the season.

And thats why Miami is scary. I'd feel better about the Miami game if it wasn't in week 2. Glad its in Norman.

The Maestro
7/31/2007, 12:37 PM

Didn't I somewhere say that I figured 3 points might win the game cause Miami's offense is so bad, Einstein? Your "over the top" attempt on EVERYTHING has the stench of Gallagher comedy...go buy some watermelons and start swinging...I'm sure the Harry Potter crowd will think it's a real hoot.

And I'm not claiming Miami has one of the nation's toughest defenses. The ACC was very bad last year and the cubans managed wins against the likes of two directional schools in Florida, Duke and UNC (impressive in hoops season...not football season), Nevada, Houston by a point and the only decent win...against BC.

But since you are all-knowing and even make more of our quarterback situation then...oh, I don't know...who could it be...um...BOB FREAKING STOOPS HIMSELF...I guess we'll rely on your quick wit and apparent nawledj of all things OU to get us by.

Back it up, bri. I'll give you Miami and 20 points right now. Name the bet...I'm sure it will buy you new suspenders and watermelons if you are right.

bri
7/31/2007, 12:46 PM
Wow, four ****y paragraphs over a general statement that wasn't directed at anyone? I'm already in mid-season form.

The Maestro
7/31/2007, 12:52 PM
Nice play of the generality card...no one else was calling out Miami as not being so great except me. I know patting yourself on the back might be a stretch for you...just let me know when you want Miami +20.

snp
7/31/2007, 12:52 PM
No fair, I want an angsty reaction for agreeing with common sense :mad:

bri
7/31/2007, 01:13 PM
No fair, I want an angsty reaction for agreeing with common sense :mad:

Sorry, Scooter. Seething animosity is earned, not given.

Go call people "tards" for a few years and then give it a go. You may find the results more to your liking. :D

Collier11
7/31/2007, 01:29 PM
Miami has the potential #1 pick in Campbell at DE, and one of the best overall D's in the country. With an inexperienced QB it will be a good tough game, we will find out real fast just how good our O-Line really iS!!!

StuIsTheMan
7/31/2007, 01:30 PM
OK the MOD's are noticing I am staying out of this...RIGHT!:D

:pop:

Seamus
7/31/2007, 01:32 PM
I'm sure the Harry Potter crowd will think it's a real hoot.

Dang, you had me with you until that one.

Avada Kedavra, beyonce! :cool:

StuIsTheMan
7/31/2007, 01:34 PM

Yeah!:D

The Maestro
7/31/2007, 01:35 PM
Dang, you had me with you until that one.

Avada Kedavra, beyonce! :cool:

Sorry...and I have no idea what those words are...is that what you call one of those 20 sided dice in Dungeons and Dragons? :D

snp
7/31/2007, 02:22 PM

Go call people "tards" for a few years and then give it a go. You may find the results more to your liking. :D

I'll have you know I've been a condescending ******* for quite some time now.

Boomer.....
7/31/2007, 02:25 PM
Yeah!:D
:les: Calm down!!!

JohnnyMack
7/31/2007, 02:34 PM
I like Miami +11.5 in that game.

21 - 10 or so.

stoopified
7/31/2007, 03:53 PM
Miami has rookie headcoach,and is coming off a 6-6 season against a weak scheduhle.They have enough issues of their own to deal with going into this game.Add to tha above mentioned lame offense and playing at OU,the SOONERS should prevail.Not predicting a big win but would NOT be shocked by 14-17 point win.Lets tee it up already.

Beef
7/31/2007, 03:57 PM
I'll take the over on Beef having 7 beers that day.

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2007, 04:07 PM
I'll take the over on Beef having 7 beers that day.

Ditto :D

XingTheRubicon
7/31/2007, 04:21 PM
Out of the 45? home games that Bob Stoops has coached OU, about 2 or 3 of the 40+ wins were by less than double digits.

UAB, KSU (01) and ?

FWIW,

I think we lose to Miami, 13-9. We won't throw in the middle of the field until it's too late. They will have the balls to take chances and we won't. ( that's how teams like UAB, where every single player is inferior to ours, hang with us play for play ) Lord I hate Miami.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/31/2007, 04:27 PM
Miami has rookie headcoach,and is coming off a 6-6 season against a weak scheduhle.They have enough issues of their own to deal with going into this game.Add to tha above mentioned lame offense and playing at OU,the SOONERS should prevail.Not predicting a big win but would NOT be shocked by 14-17 point win.Lets tee it up already.

Not to mention that the U players are prone to injury. Gun shot wounds to be more specific.

The Maestro
7/31/2007, 04:27 PM
Wow. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think some of you don't realize that this is not Miami, circa 1986 or 2001. Coker left this team in about the same place he left our offense vs. Texas in 1990 on the games final drive.

Hopefully we can score as many at home as Duke did against Miami. Yes, new year, but same defensive coach.

9?!?!?!

If so, dismal year, here we come.

I'm not kidding...not a pie in the sky mentality. I think they are brutal and are living on the name. First year O-coordinator Patrick Nix and VERY young guy at that. I seriously think we beat the crap out of them...not to mention Stoops knowing the Miami A.D. headed up the committee that took away 8 career wins from him.

JohnnyMack
7/31/2007, 04:31 PM
Out of the 45? home games that Bob Stoops has coached OU, about 2 or 3 of the 40+ wins were by less than double digits.

UAB, KSU (01) and ?

FWIW,

I think we lose to Miami, 13-9. We won't throw in the middle of the field until it's too late. They will have the balls to take chances and we won't. ( that's how teams like UAB, where every single player is inferior to ours, hang with us play for play ) Lord I hate Miami.

BU and Aggie in 06 were close.

So was Bama.

silverwheels
7/31/2007, 04:45 PM
BU and Aggie in 06 were close.

You mean '05? Oh, wait, those games never happened.

We beat 'Bama by 10, 37-27.

JohnnyMack
7/31/2007, 04:54 PM
I'm gettin' old.

2005 it was.

silverwheels
7/31/2007, 04:56 PM
I'm gettin' old.

2005 it was.

It happens to everyone eventually. :D

But, thanks to the NCAA, we can wipe those games from our records. Yay!

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2007, 04:57 PM
We beat 'Bama by 10, 37-27.

So you just looked at the score huh?

I was there. IT was a nail biter I thought we were going to lose.

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/games/recap.cfm?GameID=1048

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- The first game between Oklahoma and Alabama since 1970 proved to be worth the wait.

Capping a wild second half that saw Alabama rally from a three-touchdown deficit, the Sooners (No. 3 ESPN/USA Today, No. 2 AP) scored two touchdowns in the final three minutes to win 37-27 Saturday.

Kejuan Jones' 8-yard run with 2:11 remaining capped an 80-yard drive that gave the Sooners a 30-27 lead. With 24 seconds left, safety Eric Bassey picked up a fumble and returned it 45 yards for the clinching score.

silverwheels
7/31/2007, 05:04 PM

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/games/recap.cfm?GameID=1048

No, I know it was a close game. That was more about his reference to Xing's post about our margin of victory at home.

Coincidentally, I've bought two OU jerseys in the past 5 years: a #18 and a #28. White went down the week after I bought his jersey, and the same thing happened with AD. Needless to say, I've banned myself from buying any more OU jerseys. :O

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2007, 05:13 PM
Yeah there was a couple other's where we won by 10. TT one year.

JohnnyMack
7/31/2007, 05:16 PM

That's why I included it. Not like we were in control of that game.

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2007, 05:28 PM
I know. I thought he was saying that it wasn't a close game cause we won by 10.

XingTheRubicon
7/31/2007, 05:29 PM
So I guess the double digit thing is still right, then.

OU wins at home by single digits about 4% of the time.**

**scoreboard results only, not subject to game flow gut feelings.

XingTheRubicon
7/31/2007, 05:33 PM
I know. I thought he was saying that it wasn't a close game cause we won by 10.

Everyone on this board knows it was a close game. Everyone. Including the posters that argue over Lord of the Rings sub plots. Renaldo's shovel pass/runs, Bassey's return. Hot as ever loving hell.

The Maestro
7/31/2007, 05:51 PM
Franny pulled out all the stops that day. His next visit to Norman wasn't so kind.

birddog
7/31/2007, 05:52 PM
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=413

are you thinking of another nix? there are quite a few of them running around out there.

SoonerKnight
7/31/2007, 05:56 PM
Everyone on this board knows it was a close game. Everyone. Including the posters that argue over Lord of the Rings sub plots. Renaldo's shovel pass/runs, Bassey's return. Hot as ever loving hell.

Yes, we have a new QB. We still have experience on both sides ou D is going to be great and our O-line is going to be pretty good and our RB's they will keep the team afloat.:pop:

The Maestro
7/31/2007, 05:59 PM
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=413

are you thinking of another nix? there are quite a few of them running around out there.

No. That's the one. He was a QB at Auburn and now he is Miami's O-Coordinator. Fairly young coach to have that lofty of a position. We'll see how he does.

KC//CRIMSON
7/31/2007, 06:25 PM
That's why I included it. Not like we were in control of that game.

Yep. We really only beat them by three. The last seven were a *gift*;)

KC//CRIMSON
7/31/2007, 06:30 PM
Wow. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think some of you don't realize that this is not Miami, circa 1986 or 2001. Coker left this team in about the same place he left our offense vs. Texas in 1990 on the games final drive.

Hopefully we can score as many at home as Duke did against Miami. Yes, new year, but same defensive coach.

9?!?!?!

If so, dismal year, here we come.

I'm not kidding...not a pie in the sky mentality. I think they are brutal and are living on the name. First year O-coordinator Patrick Nix and VERY young guy at that. I seriously think we beat the crap out of them...not to mention Stoops knowing the Miami A.D. headed up the committee that took away 8 career wins from him.

This isn't Miami of Ohio either, it's the U and they are going to be ready to play. It will be a tough game. Really close.

fadada1
7/31/2007, 06:39 PM
Garrett Hartley is one of the nation's best kickers. He missed one of his 20 field-goal tries last season -- a block by Oregon that cost the Sooners a win.
yeah, THAT was what cost us the win.

The Maestro
7/31/2007, 06:42 PM
This isn't Miami of Ohio either, it's the U and they are going to be ready to play. It will be a tough game. Really close.

Based on what? Cause you say so? Does anyone want to give me some actual facts and reasons other than "this is the U!" as to why Miami will give us a war in Norman? I think my facts have been well documented here...and all I am getting is "this is the U" and "one of the nation's best defenses" and "1986". Repeating--this is NOT Miami, circa 1986 and 2001. Go look at what they did last year, go look at the people coming back, go look at the new faces that are going to help them and go look at the new coaches that have to teach a new system and their first time to take it on the road is...in Norman, Oklahoma. Where Bob Stoops has lost twice and rarely has close games.

I just think this Miami respect is based on the past...not the most recent 7-6 season and the continual decline. Yes, I know there defense was ranked 7th last year. Their offense was ranked 87th, though. And as I look through the schedule from last year I don't even care if we throw one pass against them this year. They DID NOT see an offensive line this good and running backs this good. Not from FSU, Georgia Tech, Louisville and the other three teams that beat them.

Okay...I'm just fired up and ready for the season. Just don't understand the love for Miami and perception they are going to either be our toughest game or give us a fight. Miami +20 offer still stands. OU wins by 19 or less and I will pay anyone $20 whole dollars. Yes, that is chump change. But if OU wins by more than 20 I get a dollar for every point they win by. Shoot me a message for the first takers. I'm not a bank, but I'll make that bet.

cvsooner
7/31/2007, 06:45 PM
yeah, THAT was what cost us the win.

Not to bring up the whole Oregon debacle again, but I thought it interesting at the time that ABC pretty much glossed over the blocked field goal. It was sort of an "oh well, it was blocked, game over..."

A couple of weeks later, when Oregon got trashed by Cal, one Oregon player clearly grabbed an offensive lineman during a placement try, jumped up on his back and launched himself in the air to try to block a kick.

Refs didn't call him for it. A later attempt, though, was called. And the replays were quite clear.

I would not be surprised if that is exactly what happened to Hartley's kick.

Meanwhile, players report at camp tomorrow. Go, calendar, go...

KC//CRIMSON
7/31/2007, 07:12 PM
Wow, four ****y paragraphs over a general statement that wasn't directed at anyone? I'm already in mid-season form.

You should take the bet. You could get Beano to hold the money and afterwards you can go play a round of golf with the General.:D

Jewstin
7/31/2007, 08:26 PM
I would not be surprised if that is exactly what happened to Hartley's kick.

It was, and I went ballistic when it happened (after going nuts about the other two blown calls). I felt like I was having a nightmare and needed to wake myself up ... sucked.

You can see more than one player climbing all over the place on the block, and even if that's not enough, at least half of them landed on another player ... which is in and of itself a penalty.

Between all the bad breaks and blown calls in '05 and '06, we're due for some good luck this year. *emphatic knock on wood*

JohnnyMack
7/31/2007, 08:29 PM
the posters that argue over Lord of the Rings sub plots.

:mad:

Soonerus
7/31/2007, 08:35 PM
OU 35, UM 9

HTown77095
7/31/2007, 08:40 PM
Not to bring up the whole Oregon debacle again,

We played Oregon last year? ;)

Zing
8/1/2007, 02:21 AM
Sorry...and I have no idea what those words are...is that what you call one of those 20 sided dice in Dungeons and Dragons? :D

no, that'd a d20. Way to roll a 1 on your Knowledge(RPG) check. :P

Also, here's an interesting look at that site's pick last year for no. 1:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=118261

snp
8/1/2007, 02:54 AM
Based on what? Cause you say so? Does anyone want to give me some actual facts and reasons other than "this is the U!" as to why Miami will give us a war in Norman? I think my facts have been well documented here...and all I am getting is "this is the U" and "one of the nation's best defenses" and "1986". Repeating--this is NOT Miami, circa 1986 and 2001.

Fine, if you won't keep chirping about this. They have 2 potential top 10 picks, at DE Cambell and Safety Phillips. They return a great DL and they have the ability to cause turnovers from that. Their defensive philosophy won't change so it's doubtful they'll slip that much.

Their offensive line sucked last year, but most of it returns. Along with 2 young stud RBs. Their offense will only get better from last year. They also have 2 experienced QBs, although they kinda suck too.

Like us, they are going to milk the clock by relying on their run game. Thus, the amount of drives both teams have will be much less than playing a passing team. They'll have the best defense we play against next year. A few turnovers from our green QBs could very easily make this a close game. I don't think they'll win, but it's still Miami and they're still loaded with talent. I predict a 10 point win. You say 20. I'll put the spread at 15 and bet you the price of a 30-pack. Since that's the only currency I use to bet on college football.

The Maestro
8/1/2007, 09:56 AM
I predict a 10 point win. You say 20. I'll put the spread at 15 and bet you the price of a 30-pack. Since that's the only currency I use to bet on college football.

Glad to finally see some points about Miami instead of just Corso-speak.

I'll take your bet...a 30 pack for you or a bottle of Weller for me. 15 is the number.

Hey, at least we just made a very interesting game even more interesting. Glad you decided to step up and bet versus Mr. Mouth who has to spend his time convincing himself how great he is.

(Not aimed at anyone in particular...:))

Snrfn4ever08
8/1/2007, 12:08 PM
Coincidentally, I've bought two OU jerseys in the past 5 years: a #18 and a #28. White went down the week after I bought his jersey, and the same thing happened with AD. Needless to say, I've banned myself from buying any more OU jerseys. :O
And I thought that I was the only one that happened to

Seamus
8/1/2007, 12:23 PM
Like us, they are going to milk the clock by relying on their run game. Thus, the amount of drives both teams have will be much less than playing a passing team. They'll have the best defense we play against next year. A few turnovers from our green QBs could very easily make this a close game.

Probably the most compelling argument I've seen on why this won't be a high-scoring game. Turnovers will be paramount. We'll give up a couple, but it better not be in our own red zone.

I'll put the spread at 15 and bet you the price of a 30-pack. Since that's the only currency I use to bet on college football.

Can we make it the cost of a case of Fat Tire at Costco (91.6 cents a beer)? Since anything that comes in a 30-pack sucks ballsweat? :D Seriously, I agree with you on the spread -- it will be pretty close.

Seamus
8/1/2007, 12:26 PM

Damn, that was funny :)

Spek on that one.

StuIsTheMan
8/1/2007, 12:35 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unforgivable_Curses

NOT SO FUNNY NOW IS IT!:D

picasso
8/1/2007, 12:44 PM

UAB, KSU (01) and ?

FWIW,

we won't lose at home this year.

The Maestro
8/1/2007, 12:55 PM
Probably the most compelling argument I've seen on why this won't be a high-scoring game.

Well, the only problem with the "take the air out of the ball" theory is this...the defense you are going up against kind of picks up on it. Miami has athletes so I doubt they try to pull a Nebraska game plan from a few years back when their only objective was to end the game quickly. But if they do a dozen "three and out's" is not going to keep us from scoring enough. Hell, one of the best defensive games I ever saw an OU team play was at aTm where we lost by 29 points...29-0...in 1998. If Miami chooses to go that route, fine. The game won't last as long...and we will still whip their ***.

The cubans will try to make plays...they just don't have the guys to do it on offense. I could see a pick six for us in this game...easily. Yes, it is just the second game of the season, but it will be the game that tells the rest of the nation that Oklahoma is going to be a contender this year.

Okay, I have got to focus on something else now...I am getting way too pumped about the football season too early. At least it is good to discuss.

colleyvillesooner
9/9/2007, 12:20 AM
Whole lotta wrong in this thread...

The Maestro
9/9/2007, 12:22 AM
I noticed some accurate points, though...:)

snp
9/9/2007, 03:24 AM
You called it, I/everyone else in the nation didn't see this coming.

yermom
9/9/2007, 04:23 AM
i love this thread

"we will rely on the RB's"

lol

i thought the same thing. i was hoping Bradford would be adequate :O

BoonesFarmSooner
9/9/2007, 08:17 AM
Props to The Maestro!

With that said, there still is nothing available in Tuscany