PDA

View Full Version : Pacman Jones signs with Total Nonstop Action Wrestling

bri
7/30/2007, 07:26 PM
I sh*t you not. (http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/57769/Latest-on-TNA-and-Adam-/)

Hey, maybe TNA can sign Tank Johnson to be his tag team partner. And then they can bring in Michael Vick to be their manager who bets on their matches and electrocutes the losers...

Newbomb Turk
7/30/2007, 07:32 PM
at least he won't have to worry about getting kicked out of that league.

jk the sooner fan
7/30/2007, 07:47 PM
gotta pay the bills

err, legal bills

StuIsTheMan
7/30/2007, 07:55 PM
why not he can't Play in the NFL, can't makes him no mo money on his dog at Vic's, gots him sum kids'n stuff at the crib and there is only so many people to mug outside of strip clubs at 3:00am so a brotha's gotta getta J.O.B
:pop:

John Kochtoston
7/31/2007, 09:55 AM
If there is one place more accepting of antisocial behavior than the NFL, it's pro wrestling.

NormanPride
7/31/2007, 10:10 AM
Wow. I might actually watch that, just for grins. Last time I tried to watch that horrible monstrosity of a show I fell asleep.

critical_phil
7/31/2007, 10:10 AM
that's gotta be a better gig than moving to MMA and getting KTFO for realz.

just ask johnnie morton (http://tinosbloghouse.blogspot.com/2007/06/johnnie-mortons-mma-debut-video.html).

OKC-SLC
7/31/2007, 10:34 AM
TNA
heh.

bri
7/31/2007, 11:02 AM
Wow. I might actually watch that, just for grins. Last time I tried to watch that horrible monstrosity of a show I fell asleep.

Yeah, I can only watch in small bursts. My threshhold for tolerating the shrill braying of "Iron" Mike Tenay is tremendously low.

SOONER STEAKER
7/31/2007, 11:05 AM
My favorite Southpark character would say,, "KICK HIM IN THE NUTS!"

bri
7/31/2007, 11:12 AM
Um, okay.

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2007, 11:17 AM
The deal was Jeff Jarrett's idea and he has full approval of the Titans. Jarrett is well known by those involved in the team since they are all in the same area. The Titans are fine with the deal because it gives Jones something to do during his suspension.

Maybe not...

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070731/SPORTS01/707310371/1328/SPORTS

Titans put hold on Pacman Jones' wrestling career
If he gets in ring, it may violate contract

By JIM WYATT
Staff Writer

If suspended cornerback Pacman Jones enters a pro wrestling ring, there's a chance he could violate his contract with the Titans.

"That type of thing is not permitted in accordance with the player's contract,'' Coach Jeff Fisher said Monday.

Most NFL contracts contain clauses that prohibit players from taking part in activities that might cause injuries. There were more indications, however, that Total Nonstop Action Wrestling still wants Jones in the ring in some manner.

The organization recently contacted Jones about taking part in an upcoming event, although his attorney reiterated that discussions with TNA don't include Jones actually wrestling and his involvement otherwise wouldn't appear to violate his contract with the Titans.

Said Steven Godfrey, public relations manager for TNA: "We have no comment right now. But a TNA statement is forthcoming in the next couple of days regarding the situation.''

Jones was at Baptist Sports Park Monday. Under terms of his suspension he is allowed in the team's training facility once a week for counseling, conditioning, film study and injury rehab.

Teammates who saw Jones didn't talk with him about TNA, but some didn't believe he'd actually wrestle.

"He's a football player. He's no wrestler,'' linebacker Keith Bulluck said. "He needs to concentrate on other things besides wrestling.

"I think he has enough on his plate right now. But you never know with that guy. Who knows what he is going to do. I don't know if that is the best thing to do, but at the same time it not my decision, it's Pac's.''

'Entertainment value'

Jones was suspended by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on April 10 for an accumulation of off-field incidents. He could be reinstated after 10 games, when Goodell will review his case.

Whether participation in a wrestling event would violate conditions of Jones' suspension was unclear. NFL Vice President of Public Relations Greg Aiello was unavailable for comment on Monday.

Attorney Worrick Robinson said he's discussed Jones' contract with his agent, Michel Huyghue. Robinson said they agreed the type of involvement Jones might have in a wrestling event "wouldn't appear to interfere or invalidate his contract with the NFL. It is just participating for entertainment value.''

In 2004, Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher took part in a pay-per-view wrestling event in Nashville, but the Bears made it clear they weren't going to let it continue.

Former Titans tight end Frank Wycheck took part in a TNA event in June and was joined at ringside by defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch. Vanden Bosch didn't wrestle, however.

"We are discussing different ways Adam Jones can participate," Robinson said, "but it is not expected it will be as a wrestler.''

'Flying squirrel'

Discussion about Jones as a wrestler provided some fun in the locker room on Monday.

One player wondered if Jones might be asked to step into the ring and hit someone with a chair. Several were amused by the thought of Jones wearing wrestling tights.

"I do see (Jones) as a pretty good hype man," defensive tackle Rien Long said. "He should be someone's manager, going around slapping hands and kicking the opponent's manager or something like that — maybe an instigator of some kind. Inside the ring I guess I could see him as a flying squirrel maybe.''

Like some others, however, tight end Bo Sciafe is skeptical about the whole thing.

"I know Pac well enough, I don't think he'll do that,'' Scaife said. "But if he did do it I think he would do it more just to keep his fan base.''

NormanPride
7/31/2007, 11:26 AM
His fan base? What fans? Horribly misinformed arcade nerds?

OUTromBoNado
7/31/2007, 03:02 PM
His fan base? What fans? Horribly misinformed arcade nerds?

Who are you calling horribly misinformed?

NormanPride
7/31/2007, 03:44 PM
:D

colleyvillesooner
8/10/2007, 03:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2969037

Titans intend to block Pacman's wrestling appearance

Suspended NFL cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones intends to try his hand at wrestling, but the Tennessee Titans have other ideas.

The Titans on Friday obtained a restraining order against Jones to prevent him from participating in a Total Nonstop Action Wrestling pay-per-view event this weekend, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports.

Jones appeared on Spike TV on Thursday night in a taped appearance to promote his Sunday night debut with the TNA event titled "Hard Justice." The event will take place at Universal Studios in Orlando, Fla.; it is uncelar whether Jones will wrestle during the telecast.

"In June we stated that we didn't expect to comment on Adam Jones until his suspension was complete. Regrettably, we feel it necessary to explain our action today," the Titans said in a statement.

"Today we filed a motion in Williamson County asking for a court order preventing Jones from participating in any wrestling activity," the statement read. "All NFL players have language in their contracts that prohibit them from engaging in activities 'which may involve a significant risk of personal injury.' We certainly believe wrestling to be hazardous and it is obvious from the player's conduct that he is ignoring this aspect of his agreements with the club. As an organization, we feel it is our obligation to protect our rights in this instance."

A court official told The Tennessean on Friday that Judge Jeffrey Bivins set the case to be heard, but a date is not known.

Jones' agent, Worrick Robinson, said his client's focus is still on football, and that he's not going to do anything to jeopardize his career.

"Football is his priority," Robinson told The Associated Press. "He wants to get back on the field. Whatever he does with TNA is not going to affect his health."

NormanPride
8/10/2007, 03:45 PM
Haters

Scott D
8/10/2007, 04:40 PM
they'd cut him if they weren't going to take the hit in the salary cap for it.

bri
8/10/2007, 05:14 PM
Nah, if they really wanted to be rid of him, they'd keep quiet and let him get in the ring Sunday...then void the holy hell out of his contract.

GrapevineSooner
8/10/2007, 05:15 PM
they'd cut him if they weren't going to take the hit in the salary cap for it.

Plus, they'd be perplayed as the bad guys. ;)

Scott D
8/10/2007, 05:21 PM
Nah, if they really wanted to be rid of him, they'd keep quiet and let him get in the ring Sunday...then void the holy hell out of his contract.

yah but even if that happened they'd take a salary cap hit. The NFL is strict like that, you still take hits for players who retire while under contract even though you are no longer paying them. Hence why most teams try to get back a pro-rated portion of signing bonuses when players retire under contract.

bri
8/10/2007, 06:40 PM
I think what's getting lost in all this talk of salary caps and contract language is the fact that TNA sucks harder than BG James trying to earn enough for a rock.

soonerboomer93
8/10/2007, 06:51 PM
dude, Jeff Jarrett is part owner/founder

i think it's been pretty well understood that it completely suck *** from the get go

Scott D
8/10/2007, 10:29 PM
dude, Jeff Jarrett is part owner/founder

i think it's been pretty well understood that it completely suck *** from the get go

yeah what he said.