PDA

View Full Version : Sooners, Notre Dame, and Michigan

Suerreal
7/30/2007, 06:46 PM
The current agreement between ND & UM expires after the 2011 season.

Last week there was an announcement that OU & ND would meet in a home-and-home series for 2012 and 2013, specifically mentioning that OU was replacing Michigan in ND's schedule.

Now today, there is an announcement that ND & UM have extended their agreement through 2031.

Does this mean the OU-ND series is off?
Oklahoma, Notre Dame planning on 2 games (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ap-oklahoma-notredame&prov=ap&type=lgns)
Notre Dame, Michigan agree to continue series through 2031 (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ap-michigan-notredame&prov=ap&type=lgns)

SOONER STEAKER
7/30/2007, 06:55 PM
ND wants to play against OU. Wouldn't make sionc to back out of a deal that brings them to the Heartland where they recruit.

BASSooner
7/30/2007, 07:04 PM
I wanna see them get embarrassed at south bend so bad. If we can humiliate their offense, we win the game.

SoonersEnFuego
7/31/2007, 08:23 AM
We had that freaking game won in '99. We need revenge. They should have played us in our house but they chickened out. They owe us one.

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2007, 11:21 AM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070731/SPORTS06/707310392/1048/SPORTS

Fear not, Michigan fans: This rivalry isn't going away.

On Monday, Michigan and Notre Dame announced a 20-year extension of the schools' football contract, which was to expire in 2011. Now they will play uninterrupted until 2031.

The schools have the most winning programs, in percentage and in victories, in Division I history.

"I am delighted that (U-M athletic director) Bill Martin and (Notre Dame AD) Kevin White were able to work through all of the issues to ensure that we have an uninterrupted continuation of the Notre Dame-Michigan series," U-M coach Lloyd Carr said in a released statement. "It is a game our players and alumni, and every college football fan, deserves. I am ecstatic they were able to come to an agreement."

Just 10 days ago, a Notre Dame official told the Free Press the teams would take at least a two-year hiatus after the contract expired in 2011 and then work to re-establish a contract.

The teams struggled to find a common ground in scheduling. The Wolverines wanted their Notre Dame and Ohio State home games to be in different years, unlike now, when they host both teams in the same season.

No dates or home sites have been set for the extension. The teams have had only three two-year breaks in their meetings since 1978.

"The Notre Dame-Michigan game has been a red-letter date on the football schedule for a long time, so it made perfect sense to make certain the rivalry continues annually long into the future," White said in the release.

soonervegas
7/31/2007, 11:33 AM
It won't. OU/ND was not contingent upon Michigan going away. That whole deal about OU replacing Michigan wasn't even true. I don't know why he was saying that.....to appease his fan base? The OU/ND game has been on the board for at least 18 months.

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2007, 11:37 AM
It's been "on the board" but there still is no contract signed.

Scott D
7/31/2007, 11:44 AM
we're probably going to replace Michigan State on their schedule for that period. That contract is about up also.

snp
7/31/2007, 12:16 PM
That was a 1-game contract.

Tear Down This Wall
7/31/2007, 12:59 PM
Joe C. will do whatever Notre Dame and/or DeLoss Dodds tells him to do.