PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Ted Stevens Raided by FBI

SicEmBaylor
7/30/2007, 06:22 PM
CNN is breaking that the FBI and IRS have raided Sen. Ted Stevens home. He's been under investigation for something...presumably tax evasion or some such.

SoonerStormchaser
7/30/2007, 06:28 PM
They were that bored they had to go to Alaska to raid someone? Wow!

StoopTroup
7/30/2007, 06:28 PM
Darn Republicans....:D

Frozen Sooner
7/30/2007, 06:30 PM
CNN is breaking that the FBI and IRS have raided Sen. Ted Stevens home. He's been under investigation for something...presumably tax evasion or some such.

There's been an ongoing investigation of the remodel of his Girdwood home being paid for by a lobbyist. This probably has something to do with that.

His son Ben was also implicated heavily in the VECO vote-buying scandal.

Frozen Sooner
7/30/2007, 06:31 PM
They were that bored they had to go to Alaska to raid someone? Wow!
Well, the FBI DOES have a branch office up here you know...

They've been investigating him for a bit.

Frozen Sooner
7/30/2007, 06:38 PM
By the way, this makes four state legislators that have been implicated in bribery (one has already been convicted) our lone Representative, and BOTH US Senators. YAY CORRUPTION!

SicEmBaylor
7/30/2007, 06:41 PM
By the way, this makes four state legislators that have been implicated in bribery (one has already been convicted) our lone Representative, and BOTH US Senators. YAY CORRUPTION!
I bet being up there so far away from the real United States gives some people a false sense of security from the scrutiny of Federal law enforcement.

Frozen Sooner
7/30/2007, 06:47 PM
Nah. I think it's more the comfort of being so firmly entrenched in power that they think they're untouchable. Stevens has been a Senator for decades. Young has been a Congressman for roughly the same amount of time. Murkowski (younger) was appointed by her father and won reelection pretty comfortably.

And I'll have you know that this is much more the real United States than Northern Mexico is.

royalfan5
7/30/2007, 07:10 PM
It's too bad we don't have a law stating that if your whole Congressional delegation gets busted you have the choice if being busted back down to territory or changing your states name to Louisiana Jr.

Frozen Sooner
7/30/2007, 07:13 PM
It's too bad we don't have a law stating that if your whole Congressional delegation gets busted you have the choice if being busted back down to territory or changing your states name to Louisiana Jr.

Heh. It's relegation-league US!

And Murkowski seems to have gotten out of her problems with the "I forgot" defense.

As in "I forgot it was illegal to buy a piece of property from a lobbyist who happens to be a family friend for $70k less than it's worth." She sold the property back to the guy for what she paid for it and took the hit on the closing costs.

soonerboomer93
7/30/2007, 07:46 PM

working hard to become more corrupt then Lousianna, aren't you now?

:D

Frozen Sooner
7/30/2007, 08:11 PM
Oh, crap. Now you've done it. Soon, Tuba will be posting pictures of snowmobiles sitting in a parking lot or something.

SoonerKnight
7/30/2007, 08:16 PM
Nice to see the Justice Department still working!!!

usmc-sooner
7/30/2007, 08:22 PM
Oh, crap. Now you've done it. Soon, Tuba will be posting pictures of snowmobiles sitting in a parking lot or something.

http://www.nawarhorse.com/images/snowmobiles-1.jpg

Ike
7/30/2007, 08:53 PM
I bet they go looking through his internets and tubes now.

reevie
7/30/2007, 09:33 PM
Well, the FBI DOES have a branch office up here you know...

They've been investigating him for a bit.

A? We only have money to fund one FBI office for the State of Alaska?

GrapevineSooner
7/30/2007, 10:48 PM
One question.

Did they take the Bridge to Nowhere to get to his house?

Dio
7/30/2007, 10:53 PM
I bet Coburn put the feds up to it. ;)