PDA

View Full Version : Another QB???

Boffingham
7/30/2007, 02:52 PM
Who is better at golf than football. Sam Bradford shoots 63 at "a nearby course." Unless he playes Westwood or some goat track in OKC...he is quite good. If he played JAOUGC, he did pretty good to find 9 birdies on that course.

Let's just hope he has a little "Hybl Magic." Oh yeah...most people on this board didn't appreciate Nate Hybl.

I'm rootin' for you Sam "Snead" Bradford.

flopshotjoe99
7/30/2007, 03:02 PM
Hybl was a heck of a QB & stepped up when we needed him most.

Partial Qualifier
7/30/2007, 03:25 PM
even at Westwood, a 63 is pretty salty.

usmc-sooner
7/30/2007, 03:29 PM
63 through 9 holes

Boomer.....
7/30/2007, 03:32 PM
4Life is going to be soooooo jealous

KC//CRIMSON
7/30/2007, 03:45 PM
As long as he doesn't throw four oskies against the whorns, he can be Hybl all he wants.

MI Sooner
7/30/2007, 04:33 PM
Why is it that everyone I know in Oklahoma has a handicap under 10, and most seem to approach scratch (or at least that's what they tell me)?

Seriously, the guys I play with here in Michigan, who probably play once or twice a week, typically shoot somewhere between eighty and ninety-five, on average.

I guess the average course around OKC may be easier than where I play. I've played Jimmy Austin (average or above average difficulty), and Earlywine and Wedge(West?)wood, both easy crap-holes (I still shoot eighty+).

Don't you guys have jobs? Are all native-born Sooners just gifted athletes? WTF?

picasso
7/30/2007, 04:38 PM
a 63 is good anywhere.

yeah I get what you're saying though, I can score well hitting it from the middle tees myself.:D

bcgvh
7/30/2007, 04:51 PM
We play a lot of golf around here.......and most of these guys lie about their scores. :) Seriously though, I've played with a lot of people that have claimed to hit 300+ yard drives and shoot in the low 70s consistantly until I played with them, in which their best drive was maybe 225+50 yards right, and they shot 95. A lot of people lie when it comes to golf.....I don't know why cause eventually the truth comes out. And I'd say Jimmy Austin is definitely above average difficulty.

picasso
7/30/2007, 04:56 PM
I played there once in a scramble and it was a tough track alright.

I never lie about my score but it's hard to get a real gauge if you play courses all over the place.
I'm capable of 1 or 2 under or a 90.

Harry Beanbag
7/30/2007, 05:28 PM
Why is it that everyone I know in Oklahoma has a handicap under 10, and most seem to approach scratch (or at least that's what they tell me)?

Seriously, the guys I play with here in Michigan, who probably play once or twice a week, typically shoot somewhere between eighty and ninety-five, on average.

I guess the average course around OKC may be easier than where I play. I've played Jimmy Austin (average or above average difficulty), and Earlywine and Wedge(West?)wood, both easy crap-holes (I still shoot eighty+).

Don't you guys have jobs? Are all native-born Sooners just gifted athletes? WTF?

I don't have an official handicap, but if I did it would be around 40. I suck pretty bad, maybe I should move back to Oklahoma.

goingoneight
7/30/2007, 06:03 PM
Golf... pffft... I thought this thread would have something good in it. You know, like... football realted.

KC//CRIMSON
7/30/2007, 06:11 PM
a 63 is good anywhere.

True.

http://media.theinsiders.com/Media/Other/112_scoreboard.jpg.JPG

BASSooner
7/30/2007, 06:32 PM
True.

http://media.theinsiders.com/Media/Other/112_scoreboard.jpg.JPG
I hope Stoops goes back to his old ways of dominance.

Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em

Boffingham
7/31/2007, 12:41 PM
I hope Stoops goes back to his old ways of dominance.

Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em

You are right. It was nice to KNOW we would dominate during the upcoming season, and be rightfully ****ed off when we go 12-0 up to the championship game then lose.

Now we have to ask ourselves if we will even make it that far, and we are fine with the fact that we may go to the Alamo Bowl or the Holiday Bowl.

Times...they are a changin'

Rock Hard Corn Frog
7/31/2007, 01:00 PM
I don't have an official handicap, but if I did it would be around 40. I suck pretty bad, maybe I should move back to Oklahoma.

Maybe we need to play. I don't play a ton. (12-15 times a year) and my game has improved considerably and I still average about a 92. I don't get 9 birdies in a year, let alone a round.

If Bradford shots a 63, even if it is on the easiest public course in the state, he has skills in my book.

The Maestro
7/31/2007, 01:03 PM

Harry, we need to go play. I played with another Sooner fan Sunday at Trilogy at Power Ranch. Nice track and after 2 during this heat it is 20 bucks with a cart. Good layout. Also nice to be a few blocks from the casa.

MI Sooner
7/31/2007, 02:55 PM
This prompted me to consult USGA website. I saw that Jimmy Austin had a course rating of 74.9, which is higher than almost every couse I play. But its slope rating is 134, which is lower than most courses I play. I guess the slope rating is the measure of how hard a course is for a bogey golfer, and course rating is the measure for a scratch golfer. I think a slope of 134 means that for the typical bogey golfer, the course plays at 134% of par, or maybe 134% of the course rating. So a par 72 course with a course rating of 73.6 and a slope of 143 would be probably be harder for a golfer like me than Jimmy Austin. It'd be easier for a scratch golfer (like everyone in Oklahoma). I guess that's why I consider Jimmy Austin about average difficulty, or maybe a little harder. You can kind of spray the ball and still be OK on a lot of holes, which is always a big advantage if you hit long and crooked. You sure couldn't beat the student greens fee, though (~$20 IIRC).

stoopified
7/31/2007, 03:17 PM
OOOOkay.

Arrowhead
7/31/2007, 04:22 PM
I play a LOT of golf, close to 100 rounds in six months and I can tell you that a legitimate 63 is beyond phenominal. Rarely do you see the pro's shoot a 63. Either Bradford is 1. in the wrong profession or 2. is telling little white lies.

BASSooner
7/31/2007, 04:33 PM
You are right. It was nice to KNOW we would dominate during the upcoming season, and be rightfully ****ed off when we go 12-0 up to the championship game then lose.

Now we have to ask ourselves if we will even make it that far, and we are fine with the fact that we may go to the Alamo Bowl or the Holiday Bowl.

Times...they are a changin'
True, but they can also change again.

I admit, I do have ridiculously high expectations for OUr team every single year just because we have the players and the coaches to do it. Although, I am pretty far out there. If we make it to a BCS bowl, I'll be good. However, if we end up in a regular bowl game, that's fine but we HAVE to win it.

Let's go grab #8 this year.

MI Sooner
7/31/2007, 04:37 PM
Sam Bradford's no Kim Jung Il (http://www.worldgolf.com/blogs/william.wolfrum/2005/10/04/a_golfing_debut_with_11_aces_makes_kim_j). But even he probably couldn't ace 18 at Deer Run, or number 7 on the White at Saskatoon, could he Arrowhead?

Condescending Sooner
7/31/2007, 04:49 PM
Sam is a scratch golfer, it was talked about during his recruitment. I am not that shocked he could shoot a 63. I'm not that good and have thrown out some low 70's on a few occasions.

Harry Beanbag
7/31/2007, 05:14 PM
Harry, we need to go play. I played with another Sooner fan Sunday at Trilogy at Power Ranch. Nice track and after 2 during this heat it is 20 bucks with a cart. Good layout. Also nice to be a few blocks from the casa.

I've played that course many times back in the day (like 5-7 years ago). One time, before most of the houses were built out there, it was super windy, probably 40 mph or so. I have a wicked slice and I had been playing it really well that day, aiming for the desert or the next fairway over and it would slice back into the proper fairway. I swear on one hole into the wind, the ball curved beautifully into the middle of the fairway and rolled backwards.:eek:

Arrowhead
7/31/2007, 08:38 PM
Sam Bradford's no Kim Jung Il. But even he probably couldn't ace 18 at Deer Run, or number 7 on the White at Saskatoon, could he Arrowhead?

Or #11 at Arrowhead, eh MISooner