PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye, best friend...

SoonerBOI
7/30/2007, 12:03 PM
Mario is my best friend. He's a giant schnauzer and my bodyguard. I named him MArio because it sounded manly. Last Monday, I noticed that Mario appeared pale and weak and his stomach was beginning to swell. I took him to the vet and they drew a blood sample. Friday night he fell asleep in my lap and was very weak. I called the vet and this morning we agreed to a surgey. The tumor was so agressive and is now the size of a football. My beloved Mario was put to sleep with an injection in his leg...

It is hard to describe it. I just lost my best friend...my whole family is crying buckets of tears especially my son who cried himself to sleep. I have to be strong knowing I had done the best thing and he was now out of pain.

Goodbye, Mario...We cried and played together, you jumped and played with me everytime the sooners scores a TD, I will miss you so much...

OUDoc
7/30/2007, 12:09 PM
Sorry to hear that.

leavingthezoo
7/30/2007, 12:12 PM
:(

TUSooner
7/30/2007, 12:19 PM
:(
Indeed. That is very sad. Kindest regards and sympathy for your family. Many of us have had to do that, some more than once, and we know it is NEVER easy.

SoonerBOI
7/30/2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks...

Howzit
7/30/2007, 12:25 PM
Wow...that's tough. Really sorry.

OU4LIFE
7/30/2007, 12:26 PM
Isn't it amazing how attached we get to these animals? Ours is treated like any other member of the family, and will be sorely missed when he's gone. I'm sorry for your loss, time to rescue one that someone has abandoned.

Sooner24
7/30/2007, 12:29 PM
My best friend is asleep here by my feet. He is 14 and doesn't get around like he used to. I hope when it's his time he just falls asleep and doesn't wake up. You have my deepest sympathy.

SoonerBOI
7/30/2007, 12:40 PM
thank you guys...thank you.

Mixer!
7/30/2007, 12:46 PM
Sorry to read about your loss. My schnauzer died in Autumn 2005 after 16 terrific years. The pain will pass.

85Sooner
7/30/2007, 01:16 PM
Its tough to hold back tears when you lose a great pet like that.

Chin up, hes playing in the big play yard now.

colleyvillesooner
7/30/2007, 01:22 PM
:( x 1,000

Tailwind
7/30/2007, 02:01 PM
Awww, man!

soonerloyal
7/30/2007, 02:09 PM
Deepest empathy and sincere condolences for your loss. I've been in that position before, and I still vividly feel the pain of saying goodbye. Please know that we are thinking of you and your family. Thank you for giving Mario such lasting love, and a wonderful family in which I'm sure he thrived.

OCUDad
7/30/2007, 03:16 PM
Sympathy from one who has gone through it just as you are doing now. It's hard. :(:(:(:(

Scott D
7/30/2007, 03:35 PM
Condolences man, I'm not looking forward to having to make that decision in the future.

soonerloyal
7/30/2007, 03:36 PM
Passing this on from a dear friend who is in mourning with the same loss as you today. May God comfort the both of you...

I stood by your bed last night,
I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying,
You found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly
As you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you,
I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast,
I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times,
Your hands reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today,
Your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels,
I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today,
You tend it with such care.
I want to re-assure you,
That I'm not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house,
As you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you,
I smiled and said "It's me."

You looked so very tired,
And sank into a chair,
I tried so hard to let you know,
That I was standing there.

It's possible for me
To be so near you every day.
To say to you with certainty,
"I never went away."

You sat there very quietly,
Then smiled, I think you knew…
In the stillness of that evening,
I was very close to you.

The day is over…
I smile and watch you yawning,
And say, "Good-night, God Bless,
I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you,
To cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to greet you,
And we'll stand, side by side.

I have so many things to show you,
There is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out…
Then come home to be with me.

Author Unknown

SOONER STEAKER
7/30/2007, 04:17 PM
I know your pain. The human society may have another dog to restore the laughter in your heart and the smile on your son's face.

Boomer.....
7/30/2007, 04:19 PM
Sorry to hear that. :(

M
7/30/2007, 04:28 PM
That is so sad! I know lots of us treat our pets as if they were our human children. May you find comfort during this difficult time.

Beef
7/30/2007, 04:31 PM
:( Sorry for your loss. You made the right call.

stoopified
7/30/2007, 04:50 PM
I feel your pain.I lost my German Shepherd Josh,4 years ago.I still miss him and keep a statue of him on the mantle with his collar and tags.Since then I have a new Sheperd Bubba,and God has blessed me with two beautiful sons(Ryan age 3,Jason age 3 1/2 months),but Josh is STILL there.While there is no Biblical reason to think so,I think our pets will be in Heaven to give us joy,(just IMHO).

picasso
7/30/2007, 05:00 PM
sorry to hear that man. our pets can get really close to us.
I've got a Manx Siamese who showed up under our deck last summer. I nursed her back to health twice after too much heat.
She's almost like my kid.:)

CUinNC
7/30/2007, 05:53 PM
It is hard to describe it. I just lost my best friend...my whole family is crying buckets of tears especially my son who cried himself to sleep. I have to be strong knowing I had done the best thing and he was now out of pain.
I will miss you so much...

It's been 2 months since we laid out our Chocolate Lab....I can feel for ya now, and in the future......hell, even today I think about that special friend..

It's tough, but hang on to the good thoughts...

anybody says that they don't have a soul...I can take care of that;).....right quick

Peace to you & Family

SoonerBOI
7/30/2007, 06:02 PM
Thank you guys...

soonerboomer93
7/30/2007, 06:10 PM
sorry about your loss

GrapevineSooner
7/30/2007, 06:11 PM
Never an easy decision.

Even if it's the right decision.

I've told you about the best dog we ever had, Neekie, our rotty-chow mix that loved everyone to death.

One day, we noticed she wasn't getting along as well as she used to. She had gotten out of her yard a few years back and suspected she might have been hit by a car while gallavanting around the neighborhood.

Well, that problem progressed to the point that she could not move her legs at all. Took her to the vet and found out she had cancer in her pelvic region and was likely paralyzed from that point down.

We knew it would get worse. And we knew that's something we didn't want to subject her to.

So we had her put down.

I can still hear the eerie silence coming home from work one night and going outside to the porch the night after we put her down.

Still, I knew we made the right choice. Every pet owner will have to face that choice. Neekie's time to go was then.

C&CDean
7/30/2007, 06:58 PM
sorry to hear that man. our pets can get really close to us.
I've got a Manx Siamese who showed up under our deck last summer. I nursed her back to health twice after too much heat.
She's almost like my kid.:)

Don't you dare **** on this perfectly good dog thread with some codswallop about a ****ing cat.

jk the sooner fan
7/30/2007, 07:13 PM
no matter how much people can suck, our animals are always there for us

they arent called man's best friend for nothing

sorry to hear about your dog :(

Newbomb Turk
7/30/2007, 07:38 PM
jk said it - no matter what they are so loyal to you.

sorry - i know I'll miss my dog when he goes.

olevetonahill
7/30/2007, 07:42 PM
Within an hr of Bear Dogs death there were 14 peoples here to Help me bury him with Honors . Folks still talk about how mean he was , with admiration . He wasnt mean , He just wouldnt let anyone near me Or my truck .
My new helper has been around for about 2 months . And hes More Bear Dog storeys . 5 yrs after I lost him .
I feel yr Pain

soonerhubs
7/30/2007, 07:49 PM
May God bless you with comfort and peace. I cried when I read this thread. We're here for you.

AlbqSooner
7/30/2007, 08:16 PM
I had to put my pet down a couple of years ago. I understand your pain.

To have a pet put to sleep is one of the most difficult things we will ever do. To put a pet to sleep when it is time is one of the most loving things we will ever do.

God Bless you.

OUHOMER
7/30/2007, 11:09 PM
tough loss, We put our buddy lee down a few years ago. my wife gets way to attached , I guess i do too in my own way. now she has 2 pugs, hell they get more room on our bed at night than i do. They are the new kids. Do know how we will take it when they get up there in the years.

but i will not let them suffer, when their time comes i will do what best for them.

OKC-SLC
7/30/2007, 11:37 PM
We've got a 14 year old black lab who's a bit slow getting around but doing quite well for her high mileage. But one day in the not too far future, I know we'll be making a similar decision.

SBoi, hang in there. Mercifully ending the discomfort of our companion animals is the one, last loving act we can give them.

Something I read/heard a long time ago is that we love dogs because they contain everything we love about people and nothing we don't. I think that's true.

47straight
7/31/2007, 01:11 AM
All dogs do go to heaven.

MamaMia
7/31/2007, 07:22 AM
You will see your beloved Mario again. In the meantime, here is a link to a poem that I believe was written by a Saint. Print it off and put it on the fridge if you like. Maybe it will offer some comfort to you and your family during this difficult time...

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Images/Gate_pics/POEM_Gate.jpg

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE

Just this side of heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies, one who has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends where they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they each miss someone who was very special to them, someone they had to leave behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The eyes are bright and intent, the eager little body begins to quiver all over! Suddenly that lucky one breaks away from the group, and flies over the green grass, little legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. Happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands once again caress that beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together. . . .

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

SoonerBOI
7/31/2007, 07:55 AM
thank you.

soonerbrat
7/31/2007, 07:59 AM
So sorry about your doggy...pets are such a part of the family, I know it's hard.