PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think this is dumb? Busted for rubbing one out in jail.

OU Adonis
7/30/2007, 10:42 AM
Prisoner convicted of doing indecent act in Broward jail cell

FORT LAUDERDALE - A Broward County jail inmate accused of masturbating in his cell while a female deputy saw him from another room was convicted of indecent exposure Wednesday.

A jury took 45 minutes to convict Terry Lee Alexander of the misdemeanor.

Judge Fred Berman sentenced Alexander to 60 days in the county jail. He could have received a maximium one-year sentence.

Alexander, 20, was sitting on his bunk alone in his cell masturbating in November when a female deputy, monitoring his cell from a nearby control room, took offense.

Although masturbation, a common jailhouse occurrence, violates most jail and prison rules, it doesn't often result in criminal charges. It is generally dealt with internally with a disciplinary write-up and temporary loss of phone or recreation privileges, Florida jail and prison officials said.

To discourage the behavior in Broward jails, the Sheriff's Office encourages deputies to file criminal charges, said Elliot Cohen, the agency's spokesman.

Deputy Coryus Veal seems to have taken that mission to heart: She has brought similar charges against seven other inmates in six months.

Alexander's court-appointed defense attorney, Kathleen McHugh, said her client did nothing wrong, he was alone, and his cell, tantamount to his home, is not open to the public.

"I think the government's gone awry," McHugh said. "Has it been a slow year in crime that they've got to go prosecute masturbation in the Broward County Jail? Aren't there more heinous crimes to prosecute, like drug trafficking or sexual predators?"

The crime is not masturbation, Cohen emphasized, it's indecent exposure. And privacy is among the many rights an inmate forfeits in jail.

"That's why there are no doors on the bathrooms. That's why detention deputies monitor what you do and when you do it," Cohen said. "That's what jail is."

Alexander was charged with indecent exposure last November while waiting in jail to resolve an armed robbery case. Veal saw him from a centrally located control room that allows deputies to view cells.

"Generally, we prosecute such cases in which the inmate exposes himself in such plain view of the detention staff or other persons," said Ron Ishoy, spokesman for the Broward State Attorney's Office.

Were it not for this pending charge, Alexander would have moved to the state prison system months ago.

Twelve days after the cell incident, he pleaded guilty to the armed robbery and received a 10-year prison sentence.

Broward taxpayers have been footing the bill — $91.29 a day — to keep Alexander in the main jail while the indecent exposure case has worked its way to a trial date. The grand total for Alexander's incarceration in that case is nearly $21,000. On top of that, the public will pay $1,150 for his attorney.

Deputy Veal, 45, a nearly nine-year veteran with the Broward Sheriff's Office, referred all questions to its media relations department when reached at her home Monday evening. "We're not allowed to speak to the media," she said.

In each of the eight arrest affidavits Veal has written, she cites the "vulgar and indecent manner" in which the activity is conducted. Those are key components of the state's indecent exposure statute.

Some critics are appalled at what they call a deputy's "moral crusade" and question the value of prosecuting such cases.

"I would think [taxpayers] would be upset that this is how their money is being spent," said Betsy Benson, a Broward assistant public defender who trains new attorneys. "I'm very confused as to why they would think this is a good use of our dollars, our judges, the court's time and the jurors' time."

Inmates indulge in masturbation for a variety of reasons, said Trudy Block-Garfield, a forensic psychologist.

"It's normal human behavior and these people are locked up, they're behind bars and it relieves a variety of stressors including boredom," she said. "But some aren't only doing it to relieve stress or tension or boredom. You have some who do it for shock value."

Shock value wasn't the motive with Alexander and Veal, McHugh said.

"She's completely removed from him in a master control station behind glass, and he's in his own cell sitting on his bunk," she said. "Is it truly vulgar and offensive if one, out of however many deputies that are in that jail, find it offensive?"

Alexander has been offered time served but rejected it, not wanting to risk a possible sexual-offender charge and the liabilities that come with it, McHugh said. Of Veal's seven other cases, three are pending, three took plea deals and the state dropped the charges in one case. The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office responds to similar episodes with write-ups and internal discipline, said Teri Barbera, the agency's spokeswoman.

But in Miami-Dade County, the corrections department has had recent discussions with the Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office about pursuing criminal charges against inmates, said Janelle Hall, spokeswoman for the corrections department.

"It's considered offensive behavior," Hall said. "It can be a thin line, we understand. It depends on the perception of the individual that it's happening to at that point in time."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-flbmasturbate0725nbjul25,0,7287506.story

Yes, they are in jail and it shouldn't be fun. But come on, getting busted for roughing up the suspect when he thought no one was watching?

Mongo
7/30/2007, 10:51 AM
that is better than getting busted by a co-worker, trust me

achiro
7/30/2007, 11:04 AM
STU-PID!
$21,000 to add 6 months to a 10 year sentence?:rolleyes:
and since they brought it up in the whole you give up your rights in jail, can someone tell me how masterbation is indecent exposure and going to the bathroom in the open is not...from a legal standpoint?

OKC-SLC
7/30/2007, 11:13 AM
STU-PID!
and since they brought it up in the whole you give up your rights in jail, can someone tell me how masterbation is indecent exposure and going to the bathroom in the open is not...from a legal standpoint?
I'm not a lawyer. But my bet is the difference between going to the bathroom in the open and masturbation is in the term "indecent".

yermom
7/30/2007, 12:06 PM
taking a whiz in public is indecent exposure, is it not?

mdklatt
7/30/2007, 12:48 PM
The crime is not masturbation, Cohen emphasized, it's indecent exposure. And privacy is among the many rights an inmate forfeits in jail.

"That's why there are no doors on the bathrooms. That's why detention deputies monitor what you do and when you do it," Cohen said. "That's what jail is."

So, they're going to take their privacy and then punish them for not doing stuff in private? :confused:

Although masturbation, a common jailhouse occurrence, violates most jail and prison rules, it doesn't often result in criminal charges. It is generally dealt with internally with a disciplinary write-up and temporary loss of phone or recreation privileges, Florida jail and prison officials said.

Prohibit masturbation--that sounds like a great way to control *** rapings and violence in general. :rolleyes:

It's kind of funny that if you get caught flogging the dolphin they can take away your recreation privileges. I assume they mean your other recreation privileges. :D

Boomer.....
7/30/2007, 01:08 PM
Apparently butt secks is okay, though.

StoopTroup
7/30/2007, 06:23 PM
If your being incarcerated are you really in public?

I mean...if you get arrested for public drunk...didn't they take you to jail because you might be in harms way as well as in harms way to others?

Now if there were signs posted.....

http://www.kjsl.com/sah-ap/NoSpanking.gif

:D

SoonerStormchaser
7/30/2007, 06:27 PM
that is better than getting busted by a co-worker, trust me

do tell...

jk the sooner fan
7/30/2007, 07:04 PM
STU-PID!

because one is sexual in nature and the other is not

1stTimeCaller
7/30/2007, 07:07 PM
What if you combine the two?

;)

jk the sooner fan
7/30/2007, 07:10 PM
heh, well then you're in trouble

i cant believe peeps are complaining that a convicted felon, sentenced to 10 years is not going to be back on the streets as quickly as originally planned......

SoonerKnight
7/30/2007, 07:38 PM
Being LE that works in a jail I can say that they have no expectation of privacy and that kind of stuff is dicouraged. However a lot of inmate will do this in front of female deputies on purpose.:D :eek:

[QUOTE= Yes, they are in jail and it shouldn't be fun. But come on, getting busted for roughing up the suspect when he thought no one was watching?[/QUOTE]

OU Adonis
7/30/2007, 09:25 PM
i cant believe peeps are complaining that a convicted felon, sentenced to 10 years is not going to be back on the streets as quickly as originally planned......

If he was doing something legit I don't have a problem with it. If he whipped it out and did it in front of the deputy, I wouldn't mind it.

But she was in a control room out of sight.

jk the sooner fan
7/30/2007, 09:26 PM
ok, well he was found guilty of a misdemeanor, so it violated "some" law......they didnt convict him for bad manners

sanantoniosooner
7/30/2007, 09:34 PM
He wasn't sentenced by that judge in OK was he?

Soonerus
7/30/2007, 09:40 PM
He wasn't sentenced by that judge in OK was he?

You mean former judge in OK, right ???

olevetonahill
7/30/2007, 10:42 PM
If Ya cant do the time, Dont do the Crime .

achiro
7/30/2007, 11:03 PM
My problem isn't at all that he got in trouble, my problem is the waste of tax dollars to prosecute such a stupid thing. Just go beat the hit out of him or something cheaper.;)

Harry Beanbag
7/30/2007, 11:04 PM
I don't believe there should be female guards in a men's prison.

Dio
7/30/2007, 11:05 PM
Almost as stupid as giving a teenager 10 years for getting a hummer from another kid

OU Adonis
7/30/2007, 11:15 PM
Convicting people of stuff like this gives our legal system a black eye.

So are we to expect that someone gets put in jail for lets say life and they will NEVER masturbate again?

skycat
7/30/2007, 11:42 PM
ok, well he was found guilty of a misdemeanor, so it violated "some" law......they didnt convict him for bad manners

More or less isn't that exactly what they did?

SoonerKnight
7/30/2007, 11:56 PM
Convicting people of stuff like this gives our legal system a black eye.

So are we to expect that someone gets put in jail for lets say life and they will NEVER masturbate again?

I work in a jail I am Deputy and I think the story did not tell the whole story these guys are doing this to get the female deputies attention. The female deputies I work around just embarrass them so they don't do it again. We do not file charges on them but would if say they start throwing their handy work around and trust me these guys are nasty!