PDA

View Full Version : OUDOC??

OUHOMER
7/30/2007, 08:18 AM
got a shot and some pills for my poison ivy. I have had a injured shoulder for over 2 years. pain 24 / 7. since taking the shot and the pills , pain is gone.

this is just weird to me. Is it the pills some kind of steroid?

sooner_born_1960
7/30/2007, 08:23 AM
I'm not a doctor, but even if I were, I couldn't answer without knowing what the pill is. Does it have a name?

OUDoc
7/30/2007, 08:24 AM
I'll usually give a steroid shot OR steroid pills, but I've known many docs who give both at the same time. Either way, you got steroids. If the pain comes back, you should really see an orthopedist (or your doctor) about that shoulder. Just think what a steroid shot into the shoulder joint could do for you.

OUHOMER
7/30/2007, 08:30 AM
Yes. i will see him again if it comes back. I am excited, Dont know how to explain it. No pain is something new for me. But i was willing to live with it instead of surgery. I guess i should have done this years ago. Its amazing how stubborn I am about going to see doctors. Down side of seeing him again was he was talking about getting a prostrate exam because of my age. So I may have to live withe the pain for a while. I assume its the finger wave. I not into that

OUHOMER
7/30/2007, 08:32 AM
by the way the pills are PREDNISONE 20MG (GENIRIC)

OU4LIFE
7/30/2007, 08:34 AM
that's steroid.

could be bursitis too, no Doc?

OUDoc
7/30/2007, 08:36 AM
by the way the pills are PREDNISONE 20MG (GENIRIC)
Yup. Steroid.

If you go in for the shoulder, he probably won't do the finger wave, although he probably will remind you about it.

Could be bursitis or tendonitis, but I'd wonder why it hurt for years and never got any better on it's own.

OUHOMER
7/30/2007, 08:38 AM
well, if i go back, i might as well get the enter psychical . I not getting any younger.

THANKS DOC

OUHOMER
7/30/2007, 08:50 AM
Yup. Steroid.

If you go in for the shoulder, he probably won't do the finger wave, although he probably will remind you about it.

Could be bursitis or tendonitis, but I'd wonder why it hurt for years and never got any better on it's own.

I was lifting something.( something i have done a thousand times). I felt something pop in my shoulder. And arm went limp and total pain. i could hardly lift my are for 2 days. could not pickup and thing over 5 lbs. But if i turned my hand/ arm a certin way no pain, no strength . I was think torn rotor cuff or something. who knows. i guess i should have had it checked out. But i am stubborn

OUDoc
7/30/2007, 08:55 AM
I was think torn rotor cuff or something. who knows. i guess i should have had it checked out. But i am stubborn
That's what I'd worry about. Get it checked.

7/30/2007, 09:58 AM
All of you DO know Doc actually works at the NW Expressway Grandy's, right?

OUDoc
7/30/2007, 10:03 AM
All of you DO know Doc actually works at the NW Expressway Grandy's, right?
They bulldozed that place years ago(:mad:). I work at Applebee's now.

OU Adonis
7/30/2007, 10:29 AM
We need an Batsignal-esque OU Doc signal.

OU4LIFE
7/30/2007, 10:49 AM
http://www.medgadget.com/archives/TEAM-QUACK.jpg

OU Adonis
7/30/2007, 10:50 AM
http://www.medgadget.com/archives/TEAM-QUACK.jpg

Brilliant.. spek

Stitch Face
7/30/2007, 10:51 AM
I'll usually give a steroid shot OR steroid pills, but I've known many docs who give both at the same time.

I personally give a moderate length oral taper plus a topical for the really bad areas. WANNA MAKE SOMETHING OF IT BIZNACHO?!? :mad: :mad: :mad:

OU Adonis
7/30/2007, 10:52 AM
I personally give a moderate length oral...

Go on...

Stitch Face
7/30/2007, 10:59 AM
Go on...

No, no...we get reprimanded by the board for stuff like that!

OUDoc
7/30/2007, 11:10 AM
I personally give a moderate length oral taper plus a topical for the really bad areas. WANNA MAKE SOMETHING OF IT BIZNACHO?!? :mad: :mad: :mad:
Topical is cool. I was saying I don't give a steroid shot AND pills. I usually give topical steroids too.

Butthead. :)

NormanPride
7/30/2007, 11:58 AM
Topical is cool. I was saying I don't give a steroid shot AND pills. I usually give topical steroids too.

Butthead. :)

You sound stingy.

Suerreal
7/30/2007, 01:30 PM
Steroids are indeed terrific for poison ivy and for many other rashes, as well. I do want to throw in a caution against self-medicating any old rash with over-the-counter steroids. This is especially true if the rash is in a particularly sensitive/potentially embarrassing area.

I once had the pleasure of seeing a young man who self-medicated his genital herpes infection with Cortizone because he was too embarrassed to see a doc sooner. He was in a wheelchair, as he could not walk. I wound up having to admit him to the hospital.

Really.

Stitch Face
7/30/2007, 02:31 PM
Too embarrassed to see a doc sooner or too embarrassed to see a Sooner doc?