PDA

View Full Version : Why This Horn Is Here

utex74
7/30/2007, 01:51 AM
I wonder sometimes why other fans show up on our boards so I figure I owe you at least an explanation of why I prowl yours. At least I think I do by the number of times one of you asks me why I am here instead of on our own boards.

I am on our boards and I never even visited your board until a year and a half ago. In January 2006 I retired from my federal job in Austin and took a job in OKC working for, of all people, OU. So I figured I should try to see what makes y'all tick. And I have to say that after considerable time working with Sooners I have come to understand you to some extent. (Imagine working for UT in Austin and you will understand the struggle.) And at work they have come to understand me, too. I will wear my Texas gear (and it irritates the hell out of them) but I know I am in someone else's house and my mom taught me some manners. We jab at each other but I do not cross over into direspectful like I might from Austin.

I try to act the same on your board. I bleed Orange for Texas but I know whose house I am in and will try to remain respectful whenever I comment on OU or Texas or whatever comes along. And I know I can count on you guys to call me out if I ever cross the line. I'm a guest here and I know it.

So now, if you even cared, you know why I visit your board. And if you see a car along SW OKC with a Longhorn front plate, honk and wave. Yeah, I have one of those, too. I'll return the obligatory hand sign. (I know what your board does with the words in a message so I won't write it) So far the car has survived.

All of that said, I look forward to some serious football talk this year. Just 33 days until the season starts!

See you in October and I hope you smoke Miami.

goingoneight
7/30/2007, 02:10 AM
You mean this? Hook 'em

goingoneight
7/30/2007, 02:12 AM
:D

SoonerKnight
7/30/2007, 02:20 AM
maybe you meant this......Hook em succs SUCCS Hook em :pop:

Seamus
7/30/2007, 02:55 AM
That was a good post. It hasn't happened often, but I pulled for texas against the Caine in that Cotton Bowl around 1990. And against Notre Dame another time.

You get some http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif , which is the first time, I think, I've given it up to and orangeblood.

Peace unto you, and hah salame llama Laker girl.

Zing
7/30/2007, 04:59 AM
Must... resist... urge... to foment... goodwill...

*vessel bursts*

meoveryouxinfinity
7/30/2007, 08:23 AM
hmmmm SW side of OKC... If you see me there I'll probably be murdered in the back of a car.

utex74
7/30/2007, 08:57 AM
You mean this? Hook 'em

That's the one. Made that mistake once and had to edit immediately.

TexasLidig8r
7/30/2007, 08:57 AM
flippin' hillbilly lovin' traitor!!! Bash em 74!! Bash em!!!

;)

Texas Golfer
7/30/2007, 09:47 AM
I wonder sometimes why other fans show up on our boards so I figure I owe you at least an explanation of why I prowl yours. At least I think I do by the number of times one of you asks me why I am here instead of on our own boards.

I am on our boards and I never even visited your board until a year and a half ago. In January 2006 I retired from my federal job in Austin and took a job in OKC working for, of all people, OU. So I figured I should try to see what makes y'all tick. And I have to say that after considerable time working with Sooners I have come to understand you to some extent. (Imagine working for UT in Austin and you will understand the struggle.) And at work they have come to understand me, too. I will wear my Texas gear (and it irritates the hell out of them) but I know I am in someone else's house and my mom taught me some manners. We jab at each other but I do not cross over into direspectful like I might from Austin.

I try to act the same on your board. I bleed Orange for Texas but I know whose house I am in and will try to remain respectful whenever I comment on OU or Texas or whatever comes along. And I know I can count on you guys to call me out if I ever cross the line. I'm a guest here and I know it.

So now, if you even cared, you know why I visit your board. And if you see a car along SW OKC with a Longhorn front plate, honk and wave. Yeah, I have one of those, too. I'll return the obligatory hand sign. (I know what your board does with the words in a message so I won't write it) So far the car has survived.

All of that said, I look forward to some serious football talk this year. Just 33 days until the season starts!

I understand you because it's the same for me (but opposite :lol:). I live in the heart of UT country wearing my OU gear with OU license plate cover. I've had my car egged (several times) but nothing more severe.

Snrfn4ever08
7/30/2007, 09:53 AM

I think I'm going to cry..wait, no I'm not. :D Have some spek anyway

soonerloyal
7/30/2007, 10:42 AM
I don't come to this board looking for cookie-cutter opinion and no dissent. Reading carbon copy posts of my own opinion would be like watching an OU game with only Sooner fans in attendance. Not my idea of fun. I welcome fans of other programs, like you, who don't come to troll - but to acually converse, discuss, debate and push. I would handle myself the same way on another fansite if I chose to go. Personally, I enjoy you being here.

Plus, you seem to realize deep down that we really are better than you, so that helps, too. :D

Just kidding; I'm a mean redheaded ol' broad. Keep posting. We really are glad you're here.

OU Adonis
7/30/2007, 10:45 AM
Don't let GDC see this thread.

Does he even post here anymore ?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/30/2007, 11:00 AM
It hasn't happened often, but I pulled for texas against the Caine in that Cotton Bowl around 1990. And against Notre Dame another time.

Were you referring to the game when tx had its best season in a while, and was sky high, thinking they could play with the U? Well, miami took tx apart, beat the ever-lovin' snot outa those whorns, even while committing an amazing number of penalties, or it woulda been worse...tx learned some humility that day. It didn't last long, of course.

NormanPride
7/30/2007, 11:13 AM
Don't let GDC see this thread.

Does he even post here anymore ?

He has somehow woven himself into the fabric of the internet, so I guess the most accurate answer would be "Kind of".

dsoonersmac
7/30/2007, 11:28 AM
hope the folks at home treat you better than your folks did me here in H-town. I drive a crimson car with an OU badge on the rear. Got keyed a couple of years ago -- caught the guy red-handed (pardon the pun). A co-worker who also happens to be a UT alum...:mad:

oumartin
7/30/2007, 11:51 AM
GDC was the best!

soonerboy_odanorth
7/30/2007, 11:58 AM
hope the folks at home treat you better than your folks did me here in H-town. I drive a crimson car with an OU badge on the rear. Got keyed a couple of years ago -- caught the guy red-handed (pardon the pun). A co-worker who also happens to be a UT alum...:mad:

Please tell me co-worker got canned. Or at least got to pay for the repairs out of pocket and reprimanded...

Seamus
7/30/2007, 12:45 PM
Were you referring to the game when tx had its best season in a while, and was sky high, thinking they could play with the U? Well, miami took tx apart, beat the ever-lovin' snot outa those whorns, even while committing an amazing number of penalties, or it woulda been worse...tx learned some humility that day. It didn't last long, of course.

That would be the one. As much as I dislike saxet, Crime-ami is worse. Their behavior was brutal. Something like 200 yards in penalties, and a good chunk of that was personal fouls.

Just looked it up: 16 for 202 yards.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/30/2007, 12:55 PM
So now, if you even cared, you know why I visit your board. And if you see a car along SW OKC with a Longhorn front plate, honk and wave. Yeah, I have one of those, too. I'll return the obligatory hand sign.

I've got an obligatory hand sign for ya. Best of luck.:texan:

7/30/2007, 12:56 PM
That would be the one. As much as I dislike saxet, Crime-ami is worse. Their behavior was brutal. Something like 200 yards in penalties, and a good chunk of that was personal fouls.

Just looked it up: 16 for 202 yards.I noted and remember just HOW pumped-up the tx fans and the media was prior to that game! I heard the balloon pop eary in the game. That was miami at its thugmost.

However, I respectfully disagree with your appreciation of the outcome of that game.(I say respectfully, since we agree, I think, that domer is the focus of evil in the world of college football)

BoomerJack
7/30/2007, 01:11 PM
"That was miami at its thugmost."

Not tryin' to defend the 'Canes but I watched most of that game too. I recall early in the 1Q, UT makes a play near the UM sideline & the horn jumps up jawing at UM bench, pointing etc., your basic punk*** stuff. I don't believe a flag was thrown. You could almost read the collective minds of the UM players and coaches. "We came out and have been trying to behave ourselves but if that's the way you guys want it, fine; IT'S ON!!!"

They then proceeded to whip the everloving dog**** out of the Horns. I believe that about 40 per cent of the personal fouls they were called for were for taunting/excessive celebration after all the TDs they scored.

BoomerJack
7/30/2007, 01:15 PM
Just to get this thread back on track, I appreciate utex74's thoughts on posting on the board.

dsoonersmac
7/30/2007, 01:17 PM
He got canned, but not for keying my ride!

utex74
7/30/2007, 01:23 PM

That was the game. Worst New Years Day ever. Woke up with a hangover, head hurt, thought of eating made me sick and it just got worse from there. Why do you think I want you to pound the bastards?

HTown77095
7/30/2007, 01:36 PM
I still don't understand the point of the post. You came over here to show us some respect?? :rolleyes: yeah right

I've heard many comments that fans like to chat w/ Sooner fans because they are one of the more knowledgeable fan bases. The vast majority of college football fans are bandwagoners that don't know anything about the team they're rooting for. Not so for the average Sooner fan.

Snrfn4ever08
7/30/2007, 01:58 PM
I still don't understand the point of the post. You came over here to show us some respect?? :rolleyes: yeah right

I've heard many comments that fans like to chat w/ Sooner fans because they are one of the more knowledgeable fan bases. The vast majority of college football fans are bandwagoners that don't know anything about the team they're rooting for. Not so for the average Sooner fan.
What's with all the hate from you people? It's not like he's coming over here to try to start a fight

badger
7/30/2007, 02:06 PM
If I don't already have a pending bet going with Herr the Whorn, I might have to offer my elusive avatar to you... of course, you would have to replace that Texas tower with OU's blender or something :D

hookem31
7/30/2007, 02:52 PM

Actually, many of us do. You don't have to believe it, but I've said it here recently. Sooners can come into my place of business, and although we'll disagree and throw a few insults back and forth, we can discuss everything from scheduling, to recruiting, to coaching and I know they will give me a good conversation. Can't do that with Aggy or many other schools.

And I do respect OU. When one does not respect his opponent, one has no class. I will never like OU, but any school that consistently runs an outstanding program will always have my respect. Even if I don't have respect for some of it's fans.

HTown77095
7/30/2007, 04:02 PM
Good point, and good post^^

Scott D
7/30/2007, 04:02 PM
Actually, many of us do. You don't have to believe it, but I've said it here recently. Sooners can come into my place of business, and although we'll disagree and throw a few insults back and forth, we can discuss everything from scheduling, to recruiting, to coaching and I know they will give me a good conversation. Can't do that with Aggy or many other schools.

And I do respect OU. When one does not respect his opponent, one has no class. I will never like OU, but any school that consistently runs an outstanding program will always have my respect. Even if I don't have respect for some of it's fans.

I'd like to say that this post doesn't change the total lack of respect I have for the Utah Aggie program....and I don't think that means I have no class. The fact that I no longer attend school means I have no class. :)

7/30/2007, 04:04 PM
"That was miami at its thugmost."

Not tryin' to defend the 'Canes but I watched most of that game too. I recall early in the 1Q, UT makes a play near the UM sideline & the horn jumps up jawing at UM bench, pointing etc., your basic punk*** stuff. I don't believe a flag was thrown. You could almost read the collective minds of the UM players and coaches. "We came out and have been trying to behave ourselves but if that's the way you guys want it, fine; IT'S ON!!!"

They then proceeded to whip the everloving dog**** out of the Horns. I believe that about 40 per cent of the personal fouls they were called for were for taunting/excessive celebration after all the TDs they scored.You are correct. I wanted that info to come from someone other than me, so I wouldn't get so accused of "piling on". It was a truly awesome canes' team. Certainly one of their very best, EVAR! It was the only miami win I remember ever enjoying.

Scott D
7/30/2007, 04:06 PM
aww c'mon rlimc you didn't enjoy Wide Right I or II?

utex74
7/30/2007, 08:49 PM

I did not come over here to show you respect. Just telling you why I was here due to working for OU and wanting to keep up with the current news on your program. However I will be repectful, but honest, while on your board because I am a guest.

And after a year and a half of dwelling on both boards I will say I think there are just as many knowlegable posters on the Texas board, some with a lot of expertise and in depth analysis. While many posters here know a LOT about OU football I have to say I have seen more X's and O's guys on our board. Just different strokes.

TXBOOMER
7/30/2007, 09:09 PM
FYI,
It is disrepectful to wear whorn gear within a 50 square mile radius of Norman! F texass

Boomer Sooner

HTown77095
7/30/2007, 09:11 PM
Lets not get touchy. Seems I've touched a nerve. I was no way implying that Texas fans are bandwagoners that are not knowledgeable about their own team (wink, wink):) I was talking about college football fans "in general".

utex74
7/30/2007, 10:02 PM
FYI,
It is disrepectful to wear whorn gear within a 50 square mile radius of Norman! F texass

Boomer Sooner

Then I'll have to admit to being disrespectful. (although I actually work in OKC) I have also collected a lot of decorations for my co-workers' cubicles if Oct 6 turns out the way I hope. All in fun and I know if Oct 6 goes your way my life at work will be a living hell. But i'm a big boy. I can take it.

utex74
7/30/2007, 10:06 PM
Lets not get touchy. Seems I've touched a nerve. I was no way implying that Texas fans are bandwagoners that are not knowledgeable about their own team (wink, wink):) I was talking about college football fans "in general".

No nerves touched here. Just observations of the two boards. They each have their own distinct "personality".

soonerinabilene
7/30/2007, 10:26 PM
If it were just Sooner fans on here, it would get pretty boring at times. I dont mind the regulars that are here all the time, like herr, lid, cap(wtf happened to him?)kyleut, yourself. Heck, i kinda like poke4christ. Its the trolls that are annoying. The ones that register just to say something about us being land stealers or cheaters or things like that. The ones that only try to talk about how their school is soooo much better. At least the regulars know what they are talking about when it comes to football.

Snrfn4ever08
7/30/2007, 10:37 PM
If it were just Sooner fans on here, it would get pretty boring at times. I dont mind the regulars that are here all the time, like herr, lid, cap(wtf happened to him?)kyleut, yourself. Heck, i kinda like poke4christ. Its the trolls that are annoying. The ones that register just to say something about us being land stealers or cheaters or things like that. The ones that only try to talk about how their school is soooo much better. At least the regulars know what they are talking about when it comes to football.
i totally agree...who doesn't like a good educated (key word) argument every once in awhile? sooner or later, if we didn't have opposing fans on here, we'd just start fighting each other, so i welcome the foreign influence

hookem31
7/30/2007, 11:50 PM
We don't have to sing Kumbayah now, do we?

Doged
7/31/2007, 12:12 AM
We don't have to sing Kumbayah now, do we?

Yes.... you start.

hookem31
7/31/2007, 12:16 AM
Kumbay...... nah, can't do it. :D

Snrfn4ever08
7/31/2007, 12:19 AM
Yes.... you start.
Who has a geetar? We need one of those :D

Doged
7/31/2007, 12:23 AM
Who has a geetar? We need one of those :D

Will a kazoo work?

Snrfn4ever08
7/31/2007, 10:41 AM
Will a kazoo work?
Sure, as long as you can play it like a pro. I don't want you screwing up our song :D

hookem31
7/31/2007, 08:02 PM
I have a comb and some tissue paper.

Jello Biafra
7/31/2007, 09:25 PM
you whorens can suck a fat one......civil or not, you're the great satan.....and.........we're not.............

jihad!

now i feel better.....

Seamus
7/31/2007, 09:34 PM
AimforCenterMass rips arse on the guitar while playing Boomer Sooner. He can probably play Kumbayah.

SoonerBOI
7/31/2007, 09:36 PM
because we granted you a visitors visa and it will expire soon. :)

Ash
7/31/2007, 09:52 PM
you whorens can suck a fat one......civil or not, you're the great satan.....and.........we're not.............

jihad!

now i feel better.....

ditto

Apparently the off-season has turned this board soft.

HTown77095
8/1/2007, 08:43 AM
I vote this lame thread of the week. Who cares why a horn is here? He is here, and its just a tad bit annoying imo. The ones that come over to talk about football I have no problem with. The ones that expect us to kiss their azz just because their a horn, and on our board, I have a problem with...hint hint.

I have barely enough time to get on soonerfans. Anybody that has enough time to troll a rivals board, imo, has WAY too much time on their hands. Just my .02.