PDA

View Full Version : BOISE ST. fans I met this past weekend-view of their game in Glendale, AZ with OU

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/29/2007, 10:56 PM
"Man you guys were OUTCOACHED, all over the place." Unfortunately, that was the bottom line, IMO as well.

critical_phil
7/29/2007, 11:09 PM
i ain't buying what you're sellin'.

goingoneight
7/29/2007, 11:17 PM
Funny how a one-point loss in OT makes everybody delusional enough to believe that was anything more than a great game. The 2005 Orange Bowl? That was being out-done all over the place. As was the 2003 BIG 12 Championship. I don't recall BSU suffering even half of what we did in 2006, so to say we fell a point short means getting out-coached is bogus. Out-played, certainly. Just because another team is executing the game of their lives doesn't mean you're being out-coached when they're fighting for their lives just as you are, yourself. Plain and simple facts: OU made critical mistakes and committed critical turnovers until it was too late to put BSU away. BSU capitalized on what we gave them, BSU won. It came down to a coin toss, really. Chris Petersen had the balls to go for two and put us away the only way they could have. If we went on D first, would BSU have gone for 2? Maybe, but highly unlikely since a failure would result in Garrett Hartley kicking something as easy as an extra point for the win.

My only ??? to the coaching staff is wondering why Quentin Chaney was playing instead of Fred Strong. And that's more of a question than a knock on them, since FS had always played well and QC struggled a lot.

7/29/2007, 11:44 PM
The Sooners weren't jacked up til the middle of the third quarter, when they finally started playing well. That's part of coaching. I'm not saying we need to change personnel. Just that the team wasn't ready to play.

Rhino
7/29/2007, 11:56 PM
:shakes head:

ok.

goingoneight
7/30/2007, 12:06 AM
They also had nothing to prove, were playing a mid-major Boise State (who just-so-happened to be another TCU kinda Mid-major surprise), and were high off of a storybook BIG 12 Title. It's not like in 2001, when we were years separated from a winning season, going into FLORIDA to play FLORIDA State-- a living dynasty at the time. If you'll remember, nobody asked Oklahoma if they could win, they just asked about Adrian Peterson. Could he play? Should he play? How big of a blowout will it be? How many quarters before he sets the OU rushing record? The question was never do you think you can hang with an undefeated D-1 college football team, the team who is the second-winningest team of the decade... second only to yourself, OU.

Wasn't exactly exciting for anyone but BSU until about the end of the 3rd quarter. Seemed at that point they realized that the win was more important than the stats, the highlight reel, the fancy trophy, etc. There's nothing a coach can do to shield his team from David versus Goliath. You see it EVERY year, all across the country. A coach can only say "play like a champion" so many times, at some point, it has to sink in and kids need to realize how important it truly is. Don't tell me the hype had nothing to do with the outcome, there was a fifteen minute video and photoshoot that played the "Adrian Peterson Story."

The reason we lost is the same reason USC lost to Oregon State... the underdog played their game of the season, had everything go their way oppurutnity-wise and were the only team with something to prove.

Snrfn4ever08
7/30/2007, 01:17 AM
They also had nothing to prove, were playing a mid-major Boise State (who just-so-happened to be another TCU kinda Mid-major surprise), and were high off of a storybook BIG 12 Title. It's not like in 2001, when we were years separated from a winning season, going into FLORIDA to play FLORIDA State-- a living dynasty at the time. If you'll remember, nobody asked Oklahoma if they could win, they just asked about Adrian Peterson. Could he play? Should he play? How big of a blowout will it be? How many quarters before he sets the OU rushing record? The question was never do you think you can hang with an undefeated D-1 college football team, the team who is the second-winningest team of the decade... second only to yourself, OU.

Wasn't exactly exciting for anyone but BSU until about the end of the 3rd quarter. Seemed at that point they realized that the win was more important than the stats, the highlight reel, the fancy trophy, etc. There's nothing a coach can do to shield his team from David versus Goliath. You see it EVERY year, all across the country. A coach can only say "play like a champion" so many times, at some point, it has to sink in and kids need to realize how important it truly is. Don't tell me the hype had nothing to do with the outcome, there was a fifteen minute video and photoshoot that played the "Adrian Peterson Story."

The reason we lost is the same reason USC lost to Oregon State... the underdog played their game of the season, had everything go their way oppurutnity-wise and were the only team with something to prove.
Make the memories stop...I'm so tired of hearing about Boise freaking State....:(

KantoSooner
7/30/2007, 02:21 AM
But we'll get to hear a lot more similar stories if our team doesn't come out and start playing like beasts from the opening whistle onwards. It drove me crazy last season to watch time and again a lackluster first half followed by a dramatic recovery of form after half time.
Maybe Bob should can those half time pep talks and play one before the game?

Zing
7/30/2007, 05:09 AM
But we'll get to hear a lot more similar stories if our team doesn't come out and start playing like beasts from the opening whistle onwards. It drove me crazy last season to watch time and again a lackluster first half followed by a dramatic recovery of form after half time.
Maybe Bob should can those half time pep talks and play one before the game?

That's the reason why the Texas game surprised me so much last year. We were typically a team that played a better game in the second half, and that's when we flopped.

HTown77095
7/30/2007, 07:46 AM
Man that game was a fluke. Even most the OU haters down here will agree. If OU played Boise 10 times we would win 8 of 'em. They played their best game and we played below average until the 4th quarter. They won, we didn't. They got extremely lucky IMO. Lets let them enjoy their 15 minutes of fame and focus on whats coming up. It ought to be a great season!

meoveryouxinfinity
7/30/2007, 08:09 AM
Hmmm outcoached?
Boise State should have never let OU come back after halftime. Boise State was outcoached when we came back to almost beat them. They couldn't adjust after halftime (or a little after halftime).

NormanPride
7/30/2007, 09:51 AM
Man, I can't wait for our coaching staff to get fired because they suck so much. I wish I was a Boise St. fan.

:rolleyes:

Texas Golfer
7/30/2007, 09:54 AM
Unfortunately, justified or not, we'll get that "outcoached" moniker because of those three sandlot plays on the last scores that beat us.

Let's try and get over it.

colleyvillesooner
7/30/2007, 10:05 AM
Agreed. Let it ****ing go, man.

AzianSooner
7/30/2007, 10:21 AM
I have stoped crying ..... since March. Pleaaasseeee Leeettttt ittttt goooooooooes.......

oumartin
7/30/2007, 10:26 AM
here go here to make yourself feel better!

www.firebobstoops.com

OK2LA
7/30/2007, 10:27 AM
I just want to know who "Goliath" is in those X-BOX Commercials, and why he didn't play for us in the Fiesta Bowl.

soonerboy_odanorth
7/30/2007, 10:27 AM
Two gift TD's off of turnovers from OU to Boise State were the difference in the game. Coaches don't make turnovers.

That is all.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/30/2007, 10:40 AM
The truth is that if we had those sweet mattresses that OsU now has...we win by 5 touchdowns!!

Tear Down This Wall
7/30/2007, 10:48 AM
Again, for the umpteenth million time - we lost because our linebackers couldn't cover the slowest, whitest tight ends on the planet, and our secondary couldn't tackle.

It's not difficult or wrenching. Cover and tackle. Cover and tackle.

Have I mentioned in any prior post during my lifetime that we need a real secondary coach again, and to move BJW back to DE coach?

Yeah, I thought so.

The_Red_Patriot
7/30/2007, 10:49 AM
Outcoached? NO

Outplayed? YESSSSSSS

7/30/2007, 11:14 AM
All of our football discussion centered around team and fan spirit. These Boise St. fans said they pretty much took over the parking lot with their tailgating at the Fiesta Bowl, and asked me if OU had much of a tailgating tradition.

They said they were really surprised to see how flat OU played, as well, for so deep into the game. I told them it surprised heck out of me, too.

dsoonersmac
7/30/2007, 11:20 AM
The side of the stadium parking lot I was on at the FB was 90 percent crimson, so i don't know what they were smoking to say that the Boy-Cee peeps took over the tail gates...:confused:

7/30/2007, 11:24 AM
The side of the stadium parking lot I was on at the FB was 90 percent crimson, so i don't know what they were smoking to say that the Boy-Cee peeps took over the tail gates...:confused:OU did have lots of fans at the game, including myself.

Soonermagik
7/30/2007, 11:26 AM
Wow, seriously move on. It was a great game played by two great teams someone had to lose.

The_Red_Patriot
7/30/2007, 11:28 AM
Unlike the big 12 title game. The place was crawling with huskers.

And whoever says Nebraska fans are the best in the world are total idiots. They were freaking horrible.

Bama fans are the best.

Snrfn4ever08
7/30/2007, 11:33 AM

And whoever says Nebraska fans are the best in the world are total idiots. They were freaking horrible.

Bama fans are the best.
Yea, Nebraska fans were horrible at the game. I got cussed out twice before the freaking game ever started. At least I didn't have to deal with any of them on my way out of the stadium though ;)

7/30/2007, 05:31 PM

Bama fans are the best.You have a rather indirect way of expressing your disapproval of someone's ideas.

BASSooner
7/30/2007, 06:44 PM
Seriously, get over it. It happend and it's time to move on. :pop: :twinkies:

SapulpaSooner
7/30/2007, 07:28 PM
I just want to know who "Goliath" is in those X-BOX Commercials, and why he didn't play for us in the Fiesta Bowl.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bBk80OIvcvk

OK2LA
7/30/2007, 07:33 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bBk80OIvcvk ->

Soonerus
7/30/2007, 09:10 PM
I'll keep Stoops, thank you very much....

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/30/2007, 09:26 PM
I want Blake back, this travelling to bowl games gets expensive snd you never know where we are going so it might be somewhere close. I mean seriously if Blake was here, I wouldnt have to buy Big 12 or Bowl game tickets, that would be some serious bank. And OU/Texas tickets used to be alot cheaper too!!!

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/30/2007, 09:29 PM
Also remember how exciting it was waiting for OU's score to come up on the ESPN tracker at the bottom, sometimes it would only come up like every 3 or 4 times!

devOUt
7/31/2007, 12:38 AM
If the football experts at Boyzee State said it, it must be true.

MamaMia
7/31/2007, 06:59 AM
We lost for several reasons. Like the King always said..."You cant win 'em all; no matter who you are."

bstuff1979
7/31/2007, 08:39 AM
I support a measure that would ban any direct reference to the way in which this game was lost and anything related to such nonsense. The game itself, while a sloppy one, was a "great" one. The problem is, not only does the ending induce nausea, it also indirectly reminds me of one Stoney Clarke. This is unacceptable. For me, from now on, it will be "name redacted bowl".

8/1/2007, 03:29 PM
I support a measure that would ban any direct reference to the way in which this game was lost and anything related to such nonsense. The game itself, while a sloppy one, was a "great" one. The problem is, not only does the ending induce nausea, it also indirectly reminds me of one Stoney Clarke. This is unacceptable. For me, from now on, it will be "name redacted bowl".A Senate bill is getting written, even as we post.

soonerschamps00
8/1/2007, 04:04 PM
The one thing that I never hear anyone talk about is.....
The loss of Malcom Kelly in that game, not saying we would have won because of him, but he was are second best player behind AD last year.
He had 4 100 yrd games in a row before the Boise game.
Just think that was a huge blow to an already predictable offense.

goingoneight
8/1/2007, 04:25 PM
Well, look at Florida State in the Orange Bolw 2001, they lost Snoop Minnis, and his backups couldn't get open to save their lives. It sucks MK got injured, because he's a good guy and loves the game and the team... but it is still a TEAM effort. Just like when Colt McCoy went down, or when Jason White went down, there was major dropoff, but the backups are still considered part of the team and have to execute. Quentin Chaney didn't look as sharp as Kelly, but he DID do a good job. He's just not a deep-threat because he separates himself and lets the DB hit or take the ball instead of fighting for it. That could be ironed out in practice, though. Saying Malcom Kelly's injury is the reason we lost is just the same as claiming Rhett Bomar is the reason we lost to Oregon and Texass.

soonerschamps00
8/2/2007, 11:38 AM
With Rhett in there last year I honestly believe we would have mopped up Oregon and beaten Texas in a close game. Rhett would have had a breakout season.
That said he's gone and I hope Texas doesn't hang half a hundred on him when he plays them this year.
You have to admitt he could have been something special.

colleyvillesooner
8/2/2007, 11:45 AM
They don't play Texas, they play OSU

Statalyzer
8/2/2007, 02:45 PM
With good refs in there last year I honestly believe we would have mopped up Oregon

Fixed.

Man that game was a fluke. Even most the OU haters down here will agree. If OU played Boise 10 times we would win 8 of 'em.

Reggie Bush, is that you?

Mr Pat
8/3/2007, 05:28 PM
Still probably the best game I've ever seen.

8/3/2007, 07:04 PM
Still probably the best game I've ever seen.You're putting that above some of those last minute games when we beat Nebraska during Switzer's coaching?

Big Red Ron
8/3/2007, 07:34 PM
You're putting that above some of those last minute games when we beat Nebraska during Switzer's coaching?My guess is Mr. Pat is about 19 years old.:O

8/3/2007, 08:00 PM
My guess is Mr. Pat is about 19 years old.:OI was smoking him out. I think he's a domer.

Big Red Ron
8/3/2007, 08:20 PM
I was smoking him out. I think he's a domer.Could be, I was close though.... he's 20.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/member.php?u=40506

8/4/2007, 12:25 AM
Could be, I was close though.... he's 20.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/member.php?u=40506Should he be forgiven for listing "the best game he's ever seen" as a Sooner loss?(they are mutually exclusive, IMO) It's sorta like the ad nauseum replaying of the '71 nebbish game, (where the refs blew 4-5 calls), and calling that one a "best game"....That's just WRONG!

MojoRisen
8/4/2007, 12:33 AM
WE F around to much to wibn a fiesta bowl/ it should'nt ever happen again \\\

I'd now we had nothing to gain- but win boys !!!!!

Kill everyone in your assignment -

goingoneight
8/4/2007, 12:58 AM
You know... Stoops and everyone in the Sooner Nation were just as shocked as the rest of the world when Boise did what they did. We made some dumb mistakes, but so did they. Their return man didn't wave fair-catch and abandoned a punt in mid-air... that was about as dumb as PT's endzone INT where he underthrew Iggy across his body. Boise made plays, we made plays... they just made more. I'd like to point out they were bar none the best team we played in 2006/7.

8/4/2007, 01:55 AM
WE F around to much to wibn a fiesta bowl/ it should'nt ever happen again \\\

-Are you Okay?

soonergooner
8/5/2007, 06:06 AM
I feel in the minority in that I was not disheartened at all after the game. I was disappointed with some of the performances of our men, but all in all, WHAT A GREAT GAME, are you kidding me.. If our guys had actually approached this as a must win we would have stomped the purple mustangs in the dust. Speaking of coaching, do you suppose the halftime *** chewings they got made a difference? The second half adjustments. Are those not coaching? Anyway, we were beaten by our first half apathy, and the flawless execution of what, a million freak *** plays that I would have been embarassed to call in jr high sandlot games. But execute they did, good for them, and they won, good for them. But to obsess bout a bowl loss, when in reality, our season was a resounding win with the B12 patch on our shoulders is beyond me..

goingoneight
8/6/2007, 03:59 AM
Being potatowned was better than Texas whole bowl season. Same with the agroids in that 'great' 6-6 season. When these teams are gasping for breath to win 9 games in the future, remember what Stoops did in 2006. Remember the simple fact that we got there was one of the greatest coaching jobs in Sooner history. Remember we were BIG 12 Champions. Remember that means nobody outside of BSU can claim they could have won that game. They weren't there because they were either somewhere better in the BCS for not having experienced even half of what OU did to get there. Remember that in July 2006, we were hoping Rhett Bomar could lead us to more than 8 wins. Remember all the circumstances surrounding that game and that season. Once you've done that... tell me what was so bad about it all? Lost a game? Be grateful nobody was seriously injured. Be grateful people made the trip safely. Be grateful that we're Oklahoma, we'll be back... they may not be.

Blitzkrieg
8/6/2007, 09:19 AM
A big reason we lost at Oregon and at the Fiesta was the NCAA rules on running the clock. We were much stronger at the end of those games, but we had been cheated of 12 to 20 plays that would have made a huge difference. AD was gashing both of those teams at the end, because he was that much stronger than the other team.

The NCAA cost AD a lot of yardage with that stupid rule change. OU will benefit going back to the old rules and getting an extra dozen or so offensive snaps.

StuIsTheMan
8/6/2007, 09:53 AM
With Rhett in there last year I honestly believe we would have mopped up Oregon and beaten Texas in a close game. Rhett would have had a breakout season.
That said he's gone and I hope Texas doesn't hang half a hundred on him when he plays them this year.
You have to admitt he could have been something special.

What do you base this on? You could put just about any guy in that possition and say "He could be special". He WAS an Oklahoma QB...OF COURSE HE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SPECIAL...if your good enough to dawn that jersey and keep it on..then no matter who you are, your special. Kids grow up, around the country wanting to be the starting QB at a major school like OU...and in order to do that, they too have to be "Special"...Bomar wasn't(isn't) special...JW, JH...maybe even NH, now they were "Special".