PDA

View Full Version : Laptop mailing peeps

Okla-homey
7/29/2007, 08:10 PM
So, I bought my Blonde Daughter a new laptop for her senior year. The old one has seen three long years of college service and it won't run all the whizbang software she needs.

Anyhoo, the folks at Dell informed me the machine I bought is back-ordered and won't arrive in Tulsa til at least 3 Aug. The kid heads back on 30 Jul.

I am reluctant to throw a wrench in the works by calling the good folks in New Delhi to have the machine's destination changed from Oklahoma to Alabama. I intend to get it, check it out, load the software we bought, then send it on to her in Alabama.

Do you guys think if I send it to her in the box it came to me in via UPS or FedEx that would void any warranties or what not? Or am I being a worry-wart for not just having Jugdish change the delivery address?

:pop:

critical_phil
7/29/2007, 08:20 PM
keep in mind that yahoos like me work their way through college at UPS. if that laptop was the closest thing to me when i got mad and needed to drop-kick something, guess what got drop-kicked?

i honestly don't know how that place makes a dime.

call Jugdish.

yermom
7/29/2007, 08:31 PM
i'd call Jugdish as well

Cam
7/29/2007, 08:36 PM
If it hasn't shipped yet, make the call and change the ship to address.

slickdawg
7/29/2007, 09:29 PM
Ship it, don't worry about it. It will only void the warranty if the thing gets physically damaged. Thus, get shipping insurance.

Soonerfan88
7/29/2007, 09:58 PM
Because they are made overseas, the standard practice is to send a purchase order to the mfg with all configuration and shipping information. The only way to change anything, including the ship to address, is to cancel the purchase order and reissue a new one. This will delay your order even longer.

There is a slight chance you might be able to get Dell to call UPS and change the ship to address after the pallet of many laptops stacked and shrink-wrapped together clears customs, but the odds aren't good.

Just put a new shipping label on the box and send it yourself.

mikeelikee
7/29/2007, 11:52 PM
Homey, we did the same thing for our son. We got a message on our answering machine Friday afternoon that said the same thing--back ordered, and anticipated shipping date of August 3rd. It's been almost three weeks already. Dayum!!

Ike
7/30/2007, 12:34 AM
You should probably be fine to ship it there. For the new Lappy I got and the 2 new desktops we got for our office recently, the procedure at the physics dept was that the machines had to be shipped to East Lansing, and from there the secretary had to ship them out to us in IL. It wasn't much of a big deal, and they were shipped in the original boxes.

StoopTroup
7/30/2007, 03:12 AM
Make sure that before she signs for the package....

That it pristine....

Do you know how many guys work at these delivery services while going to school?

If it's damaged in any way....don't accept it.

Just my 2 cents....

Okla-homey
7/30/2007, 05:08 AM
Homey, we did the same thing for our son. We got a message on our answering machine Friday afternoon that said the same thing--back ordered, and anticipated shipping date of August 3rd. It's been almost three weeks already. Dayum!!

yep. ain't that a b1tch?

Okla-homey
7/30/2007, 05:09 AM
Because they are made overseas, the standard practice is to send a purchase order to the mfg with all configuration and shipping information. The only way to change anything, including the ship to address, is to cancel the purchase order and reissue a new one. This will delay your order even longer.

There is a slight chance you might be able to get Dell to call UPS and change the ship to address after the pallet of many laptops stacked and shrink-wrapped together clears customs, but the odds aren't good.

Just put a new shipping label on the box and send it yourself.

That is precisely what I figured. I guess I'll put it back in its original box and send it along. Thanks all!

sooner_born_1960
7/30/2007, 07:43 AM
Glad we could help.

dolemitesooner
7/30/2007, 08:37 AM
I think you should let me hand deliver that bitch to your "blond" daughter.

OUDoc
7/30/2007, 08:38 AM
I think you should let me hand deliver that bitch to your "blond" daughter.
I was going to suggest this, but figured Homey would come looking for me if I did. :D

dolemitesooner
7/30/2007, 08:39 AM
I was going to suggest this, but figured Homey would come looking for me if I did. :D
He is already looking for me:pop:

Okla-homey
7/30/2007, 01:12 PM
He is already looking for me:pop:

I refuse to allow any man who doesn't appreciate the fine complexity of good Dutch gin to associate with my daughter.

yermom
7/30/2007, 02:01 PM
mmm...gin

;)