PDA

View Full Version : I just had a really neat afternoon

TUSooner
7/29/2007, 08:03 PM
I got home from church and was sitting around, when my 15yo daughter and her friend asked me if I'd go on a bike ride with them down to the ferry over to the French Quarter. About 1345 we set out with a few sprinkles of rain and a 60% chance of heavy stuff. After a mile the 60% hit us. At 2 miles we were soaked. But before we hit the ferry the rain stopped. BY the time we made it to the Quarter, the sun was out, but we were still cool from our drenching. I gave them a hx lesson at the well-hidden monument to the Battle of Liberty Place (9/14/1874) when the overtly racist White League shot it out with the bi-racial Metropolitan Police and put the jackboot up the arse of Reconstruction. A sad day, which is why the controversial monument was stashed away by the RR track behond a hotel parking lot in the 1980s.
We had a nice bite of lunch on Jackson Square, gumbo for the ladies, an oyster poorboy and a couple of large Abitas for me. We cruised by the Ursuline Convent, the oldest building in the Mississippi valley (174?), and of special neatness to the girls who go to Ursuline Academy (It IS the oldest continually operating school for girls in the USA, founded 1727 :D.) We checked out the old US Mint, still closed after Katrina. Next stop the French Market, where the girls bought t-shirts (mine got a cool black Jimi Henrix deal) while I grabbed a draft from Margaritaville. We got back home after about a 5 hour excursion, and it was one of the funnest things I've done in years. There is SOMETING good about livng here. even if you have to look for it. :D
The End.

King Crimson
7/29/2007, 08:09 PM
so you got drunk with teenage girls, awesome. vote for howzit.:D

TUSooner
7/29/2007, 08:11 PM
so you got drunk with teenage girls, awesome. vote for howzit.:D
well..... :rolleyes:

:D

King Crimson
7/29/2007, 08:19 PM
i'm just funnin ya. sounds good. i like NO quite a bit, mahself.

TUSooner
7/29/2007, 10:31 PM
i'm just funnin ya. sounds good. i like NO quite a bit, mahself.

I forgot to mention that when we got back to our side of the river, I made the girls wait for me while a grabbed my final pint of the day, a Smithwick from the Crown & Anchor. The girls came in the bar to get a drink of water. There was a toddler roaming the place while his 21st Century Supermom had a beer and a ciggie. :)