PDA

View Full Version : Mike Back to OU??

PLaw
7/29/2007, 05:48 PM
Speculation in the desert has it that Mike will be out of job if the 'Cats don't go bowling this year. They are supposed to be better, but the QB position is a big question mark for them as well.

So if Mike is looking for a job, will he get another HC opportunity or will Brother Bob find a place for him in Norman?

BOOMER
PLAW

oumartin
7/29/2007, 06:10 PM
I'd like to see him come back. he and venables work well together

olevetonahill
7/29/2007, 06:10 PM
goaz.com
Mike is good for a few more yrs
He inherited a cellar team and Is building back up

olevetonahill
7/29/2007, 06:11 PM
My bad its
goazcats.com :D

Zing
7/29/2007, 06:14 PM
goaz.com
Mike is good for a few more yrs
He inherited a cellar team and Is building back up

aww.

olevetonahill
7/29/2007, 06:46 PM
aww.
WTF ?
Tell me !

goingoneight
7/29/2007, 11:50 PM
I think the name "Stoops" and even bad head-coaching experience is good on his resume. If he was to take another HC job, I don't see it as anything more than what Chuck Long did. And coaching at Bomar Tech isn't exactly flattering to great motivators like Mikey. He loves power conferences, and big gameday atmospheres.

I've said it several times before... you can be a great salesman, but a not-so-great or sub-par manager. Same thing with coaches. John Blake did an excellent job at recruiting and putting together a DL... but he was clearly not a coordiantor and clearly not an HC. Mikey made some staff changes, which in coming years could be good, but this year (adjustment) could be ugly and could push greedy boosters over the edge. Think: Mike Shula. Guy goes 11-2, and is facing a rebuilding year... in that rebuilding year, he gets a young, unsettled team to a bowl game, and then is fired because his boosters and fans are chasing the dreams of a coach long since deceased. If Mike resigns or gets fired, it will be because money and impatience is talking.

Being a head coach and a coordinator are two entirely different jobs to be thoroghly honest. It's kind of as high in rank as you can go before getting to the main office. Think of that guy who has been with the company, is in really good with the boss, and gets all the perks, but doesn't yet faced the responsibility of an entire company. I thought MS was gonna tear it up in AZ, I plead ignorance now... we all know how that goes.

As much as BV gets knocked around here, you have to admit that he hasn't jumped ship yet and has made a fine choice to buildhis reputation among other assistant coaches, recruiting bases and has waited patiently when some pretty big dogs have come calling. I don't know that Brent is a better DC than Mike, since they basically built the OU D monster in good company with eachother, but I'm really thinking because of BV's composure and patience that he'll end up being a better HC if and when he decides to take the next step.

I will say that it's been hard to recruit Arizona and California with USC coming into power. Oregon and UCLA have been steady by their standards as well. By the time you've got all the great locals you can get, it's not easy at all to recruit Texas, Florida etc. with a losing record, and schools like OU and UT have already raided those grounds.

I wish Mike the best... but it doesn't look good for now. If he lost his gig at AZ, we'd be stupid not to take him back, though... he's a proven commodity at OU. That's like saying if Paul Thompson could come back in and play this year, would an OU fan want him back? Of course they would. Same thing if The King left Dallas and considered returning to Oklahoma during the Boo years... Boo would be out in a heart beat.

SoonerKnight
7/30/2007, 12:01 AM
Mike Stoops will not be back at OU. If you actually look at what is going on at Arizona he has not done such a bad job. Progress is made slowly in an environment that has had few successes. I think if you look at the defense Stoops has really changed their program and as for the offense his QB was down most of the season.

OUstud
7/30/2007, 12:16 AM
UA's defense has been really good, if it wasn't for their crappy offense they could have won 8-9 games last year...with a former TTU coach running it now they should be in the top 4 in the Pac-10.

The_Red_Patriot
7/30/2007, 10:00 AM
He won't come back even if he does get the axe which he won't. He is turning that program around. All they are missing is a qb.

LittleWingSooner
7/30/2007, 10:01 AM
Mike is not coming back to OU unless it's as the head coach. With the last recruiting class he had at Arizona he'll be safe for another 2 or 3 years.

Soonermagik
7/30/2007, 11:28 AM
They have had a few big wins out there, which is better than they ever did without him. I am willing to say he goes .500 this year.

SoonerKnight
7/30/2007, 05:51 PM
:cool: I say they beat UCLA and pull off a close game against USC!

They have had a few big wins out there, which is better than they ever did without him. I am willing to say he goes .500 this year.

BASSooner
7/30/2007, 06:42 PM
If all else fails...

just get MARK Stoops:D

zeke
7/30/2007, 08:49 PM
Be nice if he would.

stoopified
7/30/2007, 10:52 PM
I would rather see Mike suceed,but I would welcome him home.

silverwheels
7/31/2007, 12:55 AM

:confused:

Desert Swarm? 1998?

Soonerman08
8/1/2007, 02:28 PM
Mike Stoops will never come back to OU. Mark Stoops on the other hand might come here. That would be interesting. I wish people would give it up, he isn't coming back.