PDA

View Full Version : helicopter crash in PHX ?

OUHOMER
7/29/2007, 07:45 AM
should the driver of the truck be charged in the death of the pilots?

:pop:

Mongo
7/29/2007, 07:48 AM
I remember studying case law about a man that was charged with the death of a police helicopter pilot for the same thing.

I cant remember the ruling, maybe someone will.

this is the reason why I am in the oil field, and not taking the BAR exam

Mongo
7/29/2007, 07:49 AM
and no, he shouldnt be charged

Flagstaffsooner
7/29/2007, 07:52 AM
No, but the over zealous news directors should be charged.

jk the sooner fan
7/29/2007, 08:02 AM
you'd think the news channels could pool anything helicopter related.......put one bird in the air and share everything captured among all 4 stations......

Flagstaffsooner
7/29/2007, 08:10 AM
you'd think the news channels could pool anything helicopter related.......put one bird in the air and share everything captured among all 4 stations......Xactly. But they all want their exclusive video for the ratings. Yup ratings are worth four lives. :mad:

Jerk
7/29/2007, 08:27 AM
Nope. But yes if it were a police helicopter. Two totally different things.

I'm not a skilled litigator (if that's even how it's spelled) but I bet those charges get thrown out of court.

Harry Beanbag
7/29/2007, 10:47 AM
I don't think he should be charged with anything. Accidents happen, you don't have to assign blame for everything.

SoonerGirl06
7/29/2007, 11:47 AM
No he shouldn't be charged.

The over zealous news media needs to take a good hard look at themselves and decide if 4 lives are worth 20 minutes of a dumbass car chase.

Really people!!! A car chase. How news worthy is that?!?!?

royalfan5
7/29/2007, 11:55 AM
If you commit a felony you should be responsible for the unintended consequences as well.

Okla-homey
7/29/2007, 12:34 PM
If you commit a felony you should be responsible for the unintended consequences as well.

But generally only if these unintended consequences were reasonably foreseeable under the circumstances. There is a big exception to that rule if your act in comitting a felony results in someone's death, but I'd bet this thing is too unrelated and random. It's usually more along the lines of hitting someone with your car while speeding away from a crime or a ricochet bullet fired in the commission of a felony killing a bystander.

I can't imagine how a guy running from the po-po could possibly have fathomed two news choppers would collide in mid-air while filming the chase.

royalfan5
7/29/2007, 12:38 PM
But generally only if these unintended consequences were reasonably foreseeable under the circumstances.

I can't imagine how a guy running from the po-po could possibly have fathomed two news choppers would collide in mid-air while filming the chase.
I really don't care, if you run you should be held responsible for what ever happens. Don't want to risk it, don't run from the cops.

Turd_Ferguson
7/29/2007, 12:41 PM
Imagine this. There is an hostage situation in your town. You drive toward the scene to watch it unfold. While on the way, some fartknocker runs a stop light and kills ya. Is the hostage taker responsible for your death?

Okla-homey
7/29/2007, 12:41 PM
I really don't care, if you run you should be held responsible for what ever happens. Don't want to risk it, don't run from the cops.

I generally agree. But think about this. How is the public interest served by charging the runner? Frankly, I'd rather see the two news affiliates hauled up for setting into motion the scenario that resulted in the tragic accident. That would be of more benefit to society IMHO.

royalfan5
7/29/2007, 12:44 PM
I generally agree. But think about this. How is the public interest served by charging the runner? Frankly, I'd rather see the two news affiliates hauled up for setting into motion the scenario that resulted in the tragic accident. That would be of more benefit to society IMHO.
Why not do both?

Okla-homey
7/29/2007, 12:47 PM
Why not do both?

I suppose you could, but somebody has to be primarily responsible for the crime. I say its the news affiliates.

Turd_Ferguson
7/29/2007, 01:00 PM
I suppose you could, but somebody has to be primarily responsible for the crime. I say its the news affiliates.
With all due respect, what crime? Purely Pilot error. Each helicopter is given a minimum altitude seperation. Clearly, one of them deviated. Now, if it were the police helicopter that crashed while in chase, then yes the carjacker is responsible, but surely not for someone that is trying to film the chase for monatary purposes.

Edit to add: If anybody should be blamed, maybe the FAA and the news channel for letting the Pilot be the reporter. Clearly, the pilot should be flying the a/c, not watching the camera monitor and reporting. IMO, they should have a third person to do that.

OUTromBoNado
7/29/2007, 05:19 PM
you'd think the news channels could pool anything helicopter related.......put one bird in the air and share everything captured among all 4 stations......

I think that there are actually several logistical reasons that this wouldn't work primarily related to the feed coming from the chopper. Sharing resources between competiting stations doesn't exactly work...I mean, each station has it's own views on how those resources should be prioritized and used.

But yeah, a tragedy to be sure.