PDA

View Full Version : Steve Owens' Hometown

Piware
7/29/2007, 02:09 AM
On July 3, Steve Owens' hometown of Miami, OK. was devastated by the second worse flood in the history of the city. Approximately 34% of the town was destroyed by flooding from the Neosho River, including extensive damage to Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College and Robertson Field, where Steve played his high school football.

Last week Steve came home and donated $10K to the flood relief effort and will return with Billy Simms on August 11 for another fundraiser.

Steve has always been the personification of a Sooner but if there was ever any doubt about why we love him so much, this speaks for itself. He has never forgotten who he is or where he came from. There is no doubt that the big heart that won the Heisman is still there and he still makes us proud.

Jacie
7/29/2007, 08:41 AM
This flood is second only to the great ought-6 soaker that devasted 35% of the town. Of course, there wasn't as much town to devastate back then . . .

Legendarybud
7/29/2007, 03:52 PM
I am sorry to hear that about Miami. When I first moved to Oklahoma before heading south of the Red River I lived on Monkey Island, Grand Lake, and I would often go with my parents into Miami to shop because it was the only "big" town in the area.