PDA

View Full Version : I AM THE GREATEST THREAD ENDER OF ALL TIME!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

OUthunder
5/3/2004, 07:01 AM
I hope everyone had a better weekend than me. Friday was OK but it went down hill fast after that ...

OUinFLA
5/3/2004, 07:08 AM
Heh, check your comcast account. Maybe it will make you feel better.

OUthunder
5/3/2004, 08:30 AM
Heh, check your comcast account. Maybe it will make you feel better.

Congrats Pal, I'm just a little bummed out that's all. I'll be replying to your e-mail when I've settled down and have some real time to put some thought into it. I hope your "deal" goes through this time.

Baja, The clock is ticking ...your almost free for a few months. Congrats!

TigerGirl
5/3/2004, 08:35 AM
Freaky. It's like the whole weekend disappeared. Is it a conspiracy against The Thread?

I went to the HP Classic yesterday. It was very odd weather for May in New Orleans, in the 60's and really windy. Damn cold for South Louisiana. I must say that I have a new found respect for you golfers. I've never watched a golf tournament in person. It was very impressive! All that wind! Good stuff.

On a side note, I wore my National Champions hat and was heckled twice! Once by some guy who said it should say "Co-Champions" and once by a NOPD officer in a golf cart who called me an Obnoxious LSU fan. I figured they were both Tulane fans. TUSooner, was that you??? :)
I told the co-champions guy that we have the crystal football. I just laughed at the cop and called him a Tulane fan. There were people everywhere in LSU garb. And I get heckled. Go figure.

GDC
5/3/2004, 09:29 AM
http://home.earthlink.net/~mimazee/Images/Message%20Pictures/This-Thread...-ROCKS!!!.jpg

Jason White's Third Knee
5/3/2004, 01:57 PM
On Sunday, a close friend's son wrecked his dirt bike. Two skull fractures, some blood coming from one ear, a relatively small bleeder under the skull. Brief loss of consciousness. He was Careflighted to the big hospital. Stabilized enough to be transferred to ICU.
Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

And tell every bikerider, motorcylist, etc,to wear helmets. If he had, he might have walked away from this one.
Baja... does everyone you know get seriously injured or what???? Should i be worried for my health?

Jason White's Third Knee
5/3/2004, 02:01 PM
http://www.hotcostumes.com/hotcostumes/images/itemslarge/1269.jpg
Freaky. It's like the whole weekend disappeared. Is it a conspiracy against The Thread?

I went to the HP Classic yesterday. It was very odd weather for May in New Orleans, in the 60's and really windy. Damn cold for South Louisiana. I must say that I have a new found respect for you golfers. I've never watched a golf tournament in person. It was very impressive! All that wind! Good stuff.

On a side note, I wore my National Champions hat and was heckled twice! Once by some guy who said it should say "Co-Champions" and once by a NOPD officer in a golf cart who called me an Obnoxious LSU fan. I figured they were both Tulane fans. TUSooner, was that you??? :)
I told the co-champions guy that we have the crystal football. I just laughed at the cop and called him a Tulane fan. There were people everywhere in LSU garb. And I get heckled. Go figure.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/3/2004, 02:03 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/comics/fangirl/tigergirl.jpg

OUinFLA
5/3/2004, 02:07 PM
I declair Baja and JWTK as #1250 post Co-Champions !

At this point it is uncertain which one should get the Crystal,
however, I support Baja as she is the one who appears in the
existing thread. But, JWTK can call upon Coach Carrol for possible
excuses and reasons he should be listed as the actual #1250 post champion.
I am unable to contact any real coaches or sports writters to get their opinion.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/3/2004, 02:07 PM
http://www.yodaboys.com/tigirl2.jpg.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/3/2004, 02:29 PM
I did this the other day but the server gremlins got it. It was a pic of the Oregon Ducks stadium that someone posted. Of course I added my own artistry to it.http://mywebpage.netscape.com/paulhb19692/Ducks+Stadium.jpg

TUSooner
5/3/2004, 03:04 PM

Hey TG, I was there Saturday and Sunday, but I didn't heckle you, and never would, of course - at least if I knew it was you. My visiting-from-OK cousin and I were tired of seeing by all the LSU garb on Sunday, but what the heck, this IS Louisiana, so I've learned to live with it. ;) It must have been some other Greenies taking a few shots. heh. Saturday was a blast. A buddy got a couple of passes to the Champions Tent where we enjoyed some free booze & stuffed lobster, crawfish cakes, oysters, shrimp remoulade, etc. You know you're living large when you ask for a scotch & water and they fill your glass to the top with Glenfiddich. Sunday, however, I was back among the mortals, paying $4 for a beer and another $4 for a hotdog. But I saw alot more golf Sunday, but it was sttangely chilly and windy, especially if you're out in short pants and short sleeves. My neighbor's brother, Kelly Gibson, at least made the cut and ended up winning about $12K. Anyhow, I wish I'd have been able to say hi in person. Maybe some other time. Hey next year, if you're in the sky boxes or something, lemme know. :D

OUthunder
5/3/2004, 04:23 PM
Who wants to get drunk?

TigerGirl
5/3/2004, 04:40 PM
Hey TG, I was there Saturday and Sunday, but I didn't heckle you, and never would, of course - at least if I knew it was you. My visiting-from-OK cousin and I were tired of seeing by all the LSU garb on Sunday, but what the heck, this IS Louisiana, so I've learned to live with it. ;) It must have been some other Greenies taking a few shots. heh. Saturday was a blast. A buddy got a couple of passes to the Champions Tent where we enjoyed some free booze & stuffed lobster, crawfish cakes, oysters, shrimp remoulade, etc. You know you're living large when you ask for a scotch & water and they fill your glass to the top with Glenfiddich. Sunday, however, I was back among the mortals, paying $4 for a beer and another $4 for a hotdog. But I saw alot more golf Sunday, but it was sttangely chilly and windy, especially if you're out in short pants and short sleeves. My neighbor's brother, Kelly Gibson, at least made the cut and ended up winning about $12K. Anyhow, I wish I'd have been able to say hi in person. Maybe some other time. Hey next year, if you're in the sky boxes or something, lemme know. :D

My company had a box this year on 16. It was nice, but they wouldn't let us into the Champions tent. I guess they didn't like my hat. ;) Greenies everywhere.

BajaOklahoma
5/3/2004, 05:03 PM
JWTK gets the credit for the 1250 post - he had it before "the day of the lost posts." I am not fond of co-championships. He gets the crystal.

And JWTK, I am beginning to worry about the "bad luck" too. The little girl with the lacerated spleen is still bleeding a bit - not enough to require emergency surgery, but of concern because it hasn't stopped. Sigh.
And the latest on "I should have worn a helmet" man is that he is still hanging in there. Vital signs are stable.
Positive thoughts for both of them, please.

JWTK, I would like to see "Quack" on the stadium. Or should that be "Quacks?"

Ummmm, Thunder are you buying Comcast? If so, I won't gripe about my monthly bill so much (internet, 7 digital cable boxes and full service). But we are cutting it back in August when the kids are gone.

OUthunder
5/4/2004, 07:44 AM
I have Comcast for internet service only. As far as service and internet via cable ...I have been pleasantly surprised by speed and service. Plus, we get a special rate through the U of M since my wife is a professor there. I think that we pay $23.95 a month for unlimited time and use.

As far as cable for TV goes ...NO THANKS! I have had DirecTV for over five years and we have been relatively happy with them. Their installation guys, who they contract are a joke, but the service has been much better than my memories of Cox Cable in OKC, which was a rip-off and a all around joke as far as customer service goes. That goes for Time-Warner as well.

We have four DirecTV receivers and we have wireless internet which is nice, because you can surf anytime anywhere ...even in the bathroom when your taking care of the business.

Its great on holidays ....right OUinFla?!;) ;)

Jason White's Third Knee
5/4/2004, 07:59 AM
JWTK gets the credit for the 1250 post - he had it before "the day of the lost posts." I am not fond of co-championships. He gets the crystal.

And JWTK, I am beginning to worry about the "bad luck" too. The little girl with the lacerated spleen is still bleeding a bit - not enough to require emergency surgery, but of concern because it hasn't stopped. Sigh.
And the latest on "I should have worn a helmet" man is that he is still hanging in there. Vital signs are stable.
Positive thoughts for both of them, please.

JWTK, I would like to see "Quack" on the stadium. Or should that be "Quacks?"

Ummmm, Thunder are you buying Comcast? If so, I won't gripe about my monthly bill so much (internet, 7 digital cable boxes and full service). But we are cutting it back in August when the kids are gone.
Quack! That's genius.

OUthunder
5/4/2004, 08:00 AM
I just want to say this thread rocks, and if I get banned today ...may all of you have fun and carry on the needless posting tradition of this refreshing thread.

Carry on ...

GDC
5/4/2004, 10:30 AM
You won't get baned, there just has to be a good shoe whippin' every once in a while.

http://www.concertnews.org/archiv/k/krokus_wacken_2000/krokus_1001_11.jpg

Jason White's Third Knee
5/4/2004, 02:23 PM
You won't get baned, there just has to be a good shoe whippin' every once in a while.

http://www.concertnews.org/archiv/k/krokus_wacken_2000/krokus_1001_11.jpg
PAULY SHORE ROCKS!

OUthunder
5/4/2004, 04:11 PM
http://i.imdb.com/mptv1.gif

BajaOklahoma
5/4/2004, 05:02 PM
So the last of the robins left today. So now we can water the hanging plants......

OUinFLA
5/5/2004, 08:47 PM
Today is my son's birthday.
To honor his special day, I will post on this thread.
Also, to honor the fact that no one has posted on this thread this day so far.

BajaOklahoma
5/5/2004, 10:13 PM
Belated Happy BD to your son.

Good news for us - the student with the lacerated spleen went home today. As did the idiot helmetless motorbiker. I think they are all sleeping better tonight.

And we met the woman who is most probably my son's future m-i-l. The kids aren't engaged yet, but it won't be a surprise when they do. Very nice. And she lkes my son, which doesn't hurt.

TUSooner
5/6/2004, 11:34 AM
Yep, Happy belated Birthday. Today is the birthday of Willie Mays and my dad. And , oh yeah....

bump.

OUthunder
5/6/2004, 11:58 AM
Belated Happy BD to your son.

Good news for us - the student with the lacerated spleen went home today. As did the idiot helmetless motorbiker. I think they are all sleeping better tonight.

And we met the woman who is most probably my son's future m-i-l. The kids aren't engaged yet, but it won't be a surprise when they do. Very nice. And she lkes my son, which doesn't hurt.

That's good news and congrats if the other happens.

TUSooner
5/7/2004, 12:45 PM
Hmmm..... nobody's posted on this thread yet today, so here's a little bit of disaster trivia:
On May 6, 1937 the HINDENBURG (new unofficial mascot of the New Orleans Saints) burst into flames and crashed in New Jersey. On May 7, 1915, a U-Boat sunk the liner LUSITANIA, killing about 1200 people. Better news: On May 7, 1945, the Germans signed an unconditional surrender, making tomorrow, May 8, VE Day.

OUthunder
5/7/2004, 04:56 PM
TGIF

Tee Time @ 6:30 am tomorrow.

YIPPEE

BajaOklahoma
5/7/2004, 05:04 PM
TU, some of us actually have to work for a living! And this site is blocked at work! No clue what you gys are doing here.

Thunder, this shows how much you love golf - to willingly get up this early.

We have 2 soccer games Saturday. Possibly one on Sunday. This is our last soccer weekend - after 17 years, it is going to be strange.

REMEMBER YOUR MOTHER THIS WEEKEND! And, if you are smart, the mother of your children! ;)

OUthunder
5/8/2004, 07:30 AM
I played my worst round this a.m. in years. But, I had a few shots that were nice. My swing has suddenly left me but nothing beats playing golf, early in the morning, in which there are only about three other people on the entire course and no crabby kids to boot.

Tee time tempearture ...a balmy 48 degrees but little wind.

FORE.

TUSooner
5/10/2004, 10:53 AM
TU, some of us actually have to work for a living! And this site is blocked at work! No clue what you gys are doing here.

Thunder, this shows how much you love golf - to willingly get up this early.

We have 2 soccer games Saturday. Possibly one on Sunday. This is our last soccer weekend - after 17 years, it is going to be strange.

REMEMBER YOUR MOTHER THIS WEEKEND! And, if you are smart, the mother of your children! ;)
Well, BAJA, I've actually been pretty busy lately, too, and this site probably SHOULD be blocked at my office. :D Your soccer weekend sounds a bit like mine. Our season was supposed to end last weekend (May 1) with the semifinals and finals, but some geniuses decided AT NOON FRIDAY to cancel the Saturday games due to rain. Of course, Saturday was a beauty, but no games. Then this past weekend they couldn't get enough refs for all the state cup games so we got put off another week. If we win Saturday, we play Sunday, but oif we lose, it's finally over. So anyway, the season goes on and on and is crowding into softball season and lots of other stuff. (One of my team dads is truly flaming out over it.) I'm sure you won't miss THAT kind of excitement! Good luck to yours.

OUHouston
5/10/2004, 11:24 AM
I just want to be part of the greatest thread of all time.

OUthunder
5/10/2004, 11:29 AM
Welcome.

You are officially a part of SF history. :)

BajaOklahoma
5/10/2004, 04:57 PM
Okay, life without soccer. No arriving 45 minutes prior to the games, games in the rain or the 105 degree heat. No yelling at refs who forgot that they are suppose to call fouls. No more OU chairs on the sidelines - front and center on RRS dates.
No idiot parents from the other team - of course, we are always good (hey, our comissioner loves us because we are so nice).

Nine days of school left ...... :D

My eldest cleaned my car for me. Vacuumed the interior, oiled the leather interior, washed, waxed and buffed the car (after taping off the gaskets to prevent the rubber turning white). The wheels and tires look great. Didn't have to use the clay on it - no sap. He spent 8 hours on it and it looks awesome. Better job than the last time it was detailed. I love having kids.

opksooner
5/10/2004, 06:57 PM
Anybody seen Mosoon around here?

Jason White's Third Knee
5/11/2004, 09:09 AM
Wow! This thread is all over the place this week. Allow me. My wife is out of town for a week and I've had the squirt all by myself. She is a ton of work, but sooooo much fun. I've been grilling out every night, plus I've installed 2 fans w light kits dimmers and fan controls. I had to runa whole new set of wires for one. Buy 1 house and become a carpenter, plumber, electrician and a landscaper. This is my second house. I am getting pretty handy around here. Anyway, my wife should be surprised to see all that I have done. We have been talking about putting up a fan in the OU room for ever, but there were no wires, so viola. We got wires now. It'll be a lot more cozy in that room.

Also, I know I am supposed to be disgusted by the way our troops have humiliated the Iraqi prisoners, but after thinking about it, most of these pictures are just silly pranks. People that join fraternities havbe this type of thing done to them all of the time and it used to be worse. Think of all of the pledges that have have string tied around their peckers, or had to sit on ice blocks naked, or got peed on, etc. Anyone heard of an elephant paaarade? It didn't come from Iraq. This is stuff that happened to people that were liked. These are prisoners who are not liked. This isn't bamboo shoots under the nails. It is wrong, true, but I don't find it offensive anymore. If these people weren't injured then why should we really be talking about this. We are not nazis. We are pranksters and we are pulling the pranks on the bad guys that were trying to kill us. Seems appropriate actually.

OUthunder
5/11/2004, 09:59 AM
My wife is going to NY for a two night business trip, so I have the one year old and two year old, all to myself. Of course, I have tee times set for Saturday & Sunday as repayment for my lonliness:)

I think a trip to the zoo could be in order tomorrow.

TUSooner
5/11/2004, 10:43 AM
Just in case you missed it on the SO's ketchup thread. It really seemed so inane that it it belonged over here, lest we start going political or something as we reach our record post.
Ketchup, to be considered Grade A (which is the same thing as "Fancy") must flow no more than nine centimeters in 30 seconds at 69 degrees Fahrenheit. Of course, there are other criteria that only the USDA knows, but just about all consumer or restaurant ketchup is Grade A/Fancy.
"Ketchup" comes from a Chinese word "ket'siap" which means fish sauce. Ket'siap was brought to Europe and the US by British sailors. In the West, the fish element gradually gave way to tomatoes. Don't thank me, it's just my humble contribution to the advancement of Western Civilization. :D

BajaOklahoma
5/11/2004, 04:57 PM
They weren't kidding about not feeding your pets "people food."

RACINE, Minn. -- It's a variation on "the dog ate my homework." In southern Minnesota, the dog started the fire.

Mower County authorities say a dog is being blamed for starting a fire at a home in Minnesota over the weekend.

Chad Thomason told authorities his dog apparently tried to get at pizza left on his stove Saturday afternoon and turned on a gas burner that set the pizza box on fire.

Thomason was able to extinguish the blaze before firefighters could get to his house.

The fire caused about $200 in damage.

TigerGirl
5/11/2004, 07:59 PM
Wow are we really that close? To a record?

TigerGirl
5/11/2004, 08:00 PM
So I'm looking for an MP3 player.

TigerGirl
5/11/2004, 08:01 PM
The ipod is so cool but it doesn't have an FM tuner and really isn't made for sports-type activities.

TigerGirl
5/11/2004, 08:04 PM
So I think I'm going to buy a Rio Cali Sport. It's my Mothers day present - my guys couldn't find what they were looking for so I get to pick it out myself.

TigerGirl
5/11/2004, 08:11 PM
I'd love to go on to 1300 but this ain't my board and I am an appreciative guest...so I'll stop. now. really.

OUinFLA
5/11/2004, 09:05 PM
When..........

OUinFLA
5/11/2004, 09:05 PM
an opportunity......

OUinFLA
5/11/2004, 09:06 PM
presents itself.........

OUinFLA
5/11/2004, 09:06 PM
go for # 1300

TigerGirl
5/11/2004, 09:29 PM
this

thread

rocks

OUthunder
5/12/2004, 06:29 AM
OUinFla, making up for lost time I see.

On a side note, I was supposed to take my wife to the airport this morning for her trip to New York, and leave the house aroung 6:15am. She kisses me on the cheek, says don't worry about taking her to the airport, or waking up the kids to get them ready, and says that she'll pay for the parking at the airport because she'll get reimbursed from the U.

Anyway, I walk downstairs half awake, to give her a proper good bye. I kiss her, wish her a safe trip, and help her load her suitcase into my Tundra and she's off. So, I walk to the coffee pot to hit the on switch and there is a little post it note, with a love poem on it. So, I read it, smile, walk to the bathroom, and there is another note. So, I wash my hands, look in the pantry for some toast, and there is another note.

Finally, I sit at the computer and there is another note, all of them which are very nice and make me feel like the luckiest man on earth! Which I probably am, but fail to realize most of the time because I'm an idiot.

Then, I go to get the babies food ready for when he wakes up. Low and behold, the wife had gone to the grocery store late last nite after her meeting, to restock me for the trip, so I wouldn't have to do the shopping with two kiddies.

Needless to say, I'm a bit WOWED at the moment.

My wife is the greatest.

Sorry to ramble but I feel good ....

TUSooner
5/12/2004, 08:08 AM
OUinFla, making up for lost time I see.

On a side note, I was supposed to take my wife to the airport this morning for her trip to New York, and leave the house aroung 6:15am. She kisses me on the cheek, says don't worry about taking her to the airport, or waking up the kids to get them ready, and says that she'll pay for the parking at the airport because she'll get reimbursed from the U.

Anyway, I walk downstairs half awake, to give her a proper good bye. I kiss her, wish her a safe trip, and help her load her suitcase into my Tundra and she's off. So, I walk to the coffee pot to hit the on switch and there is a little post it note, with a love poem on it. So, I read it, smile, walk to the bathroom, and there is another note. So, I wash my hands, look in the pantry for some toast, and there is another note.

Finally, I sit at the computer and there is another note, all of them which are very nice and make me feel like the luckiest man on earth! Which I probably am, but fail to realize most of the time because I'm an idiot.

Then, I go to get the babies food ready for when he wakes up. Low and behold, the wife had gone to the grocery store late last nite after her meeting, to restock me for the trip, so I wouldn't have to do the shopping with two kiddies.

Needless to say, I'm a bit WOWED at the moment.

My wife is the greatest.

Sorry to ramble but I feel good ....
WOW. You might want to hold on to her!

Jason White's Third Knee
5/12/2004, 09:08 AM
First off, I want to say to TUSooner that the catsup (why are there 2 spellings?) post was awesome, but is it true? That was the most worthless/interesting bit of trivia yet and I commend you for that. you have raised the bar.

TigerGirl, I nominate you as the official cheerleader for the ender thread.

Thunder, you'd better do something to deserve that kind of treatment. If you haven't yet, I suggest you start.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/12/2004, 09:10 AM
KETCHUP: Also catchup, Catsup. A condiment consisting of a thick,
smooth-textured, spicy sauce usually made from tomatoes.[Probably
Malay kechap, fish sauce possibly from Chinese (Cantonese) ke-tsiap]

Notes: The word ketchup exemplifies the types of modifications that
can take place in the borrowing process, both in the borrowing of a
word and in the borrowing of a substance. The source of our word
ketchup may be the Malay word kechap, possibly taken into Malay from
the Cantonese dialect of Chinese. Kechap, like our word, referred to
a kind of sauce, but a sauce without tomatoes; rather, it contained
fish brine, herbs, and spices. The sauce seems to have emigrated to
Europe by way of sailors, where it was made with locally available
ingredients such as the juice of mushrooms or walnuts. At some point,
when the juice of tomatoes was first used, ketchup as we know it was
born. However, it is important to realize that in the 18th and 19th
centuries ketchup was a generic term for sauces whose only common
ingredient was vinegar. The word is first recorded in English in 1690
in the form catchup, in 1711 in the form ketchup, and in 1730 in the
form catsup. These three spelling variants of a foreign borrowing
remain current.

Source: American Heritage Dictionary, Third Edition 1992 MM by Dorothy
Flatman 1997 From: Dorothy Flatman Date: 06 Mar 97

Yep. Referenced.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/12/2004, 09:12 AM
http://www.catsupbottle.com/images/catsupintheclouds.jpg.

OUthunder
5/12/2004, 09:31 AM
What's the closer is that she's pretty damn hot as well! Just ask OUinFla.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/12/2004, 10:04 AM
KETCHUP: Also catchup, Catsup

See! 3 spellings. Just another reason that we should switch to my new alphabet.

Ketsup

OUthunder
5/12/2004, 10:07 AM
Heinz is sooo much better than Hunts though.

TUSooner
5/12/2004, 10:27 AM
KETCHUP: Also catchup, Catsup. A condiment consisting of a thick,
smooth-textured, spicy sauce usually made from tomatoes.[Probably
Malay kechap, fish sauce possibly from Chinese (Cantonese) ke-tsiap] etc. etc. etc.
That is some darn fine useless stuff. I'm saving your excellent summary in my bulging file of inane trivia. <removes hat; replaces hat>

Jason White's Third Knee
5/12/2004, 12:02 PM
That is some darn fine useless stuff. I'm saving your excellent summary in my bulging file of inane trivia. <removes hat; replaces hat>
I just copied that off of a website. I can take no credit. I was just cross referencing your post to bolster credibility.

OUinFLA
5/12/2004, 12:13 PM
................. because I'm an idiot............ but I feel good ....

I see we have moved this thread into the "confessional"

:D

Seriously, You Idiot!

OUthunder
5/12/2004, 12:15 PM
I see we have moved this thread into the "confessional"

Seriously, You Idiot!

Thanks pal.

damn old geezer.;)

OUinFLA
5/12/2004, 12:16 PM
What's the closer is that she's pretty damn hot as well! Just ask OUinFla.

I agree she is HOT.
The question is..........Does Thunder really deserve such a Hottie????

:)

TUSooner
5/12/2004, 12:24 PM
I agree she is HOT.
The question is..........Does Thunder really deserve such a Hottie????

And how does she feel about ketchup?

Crusader
5/12/2004, 12:27 PM
They weren't kidding about not feeding your pets "people food."

RACINE, Minn. -- It's a variation on "the dog ate my homework." In southern Minnesota, the dog started the fire.

Mower County authorities say a dog is being blamed for starting a fire at a home in Minnesota over the weekend.

Chad Thomason told authorities his dog apparently tried to get at pizza left on his stove Saturday afternoon and turned on a gas burner that set the pizza box on fire.

Thomason was able to extinguish the blaze before firefighters could get to his house.

The fire caused about $200 in damage.

It's a good thing that fire wasn't in stillwater, because $200 worth of damage would have been pretty much the entire house.

OUinFLA
5/12/2004, 01:07 PM
:D:D:D

TUSooner
5/13/2004, 08:40 AM
Good morning. Here's an excuse to bump the thread up again:
On May 13, 1940, as the French army crumbled under German invasion, Winston Churchill, Britain's new Prime Minister, gave his "blood, sweat and tears" speech, his first speech as PM to the House of Commons. He actually said, "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." He also said that Britain's aim was "Victory, however long and hard the road may be." The full text of his short speech may be found at
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/churchill-blood.html

OUthunder
5/13/2004, 09:20 AM
All of you are my bitches!;) :D

TUSooner
5/13/2004, 10:00 AM
Gee, thanks.......

OUthunder
5/13/2004, 10:02 AM
Gee, thanks.......

Its a rainy day. Cut me some slack.

On a side note, it is pouring down rain outside and the guy next door is mowing his lawn.

Rainman?

colleyvillesooner
5/13/2004, 10:04 AM
yeah...yeah...gotta watch wopner

OUinFLA
5/13/2004, 11:06 AM

I'm too old to be someone's bitch, could I just be your Grandparent?

OUthunder
5/13/2004, 11:25 AM
I'm too old to be someone's bitch, could I just be your Grandparent?

How about grapefruit?

Red October
5/13/2004, 12:11 PM
This thing still around???

BajaOklahoma
5/13/2004, 03:51 PM
I am praying for rain - tomorrow is Field Day at school. That's when all the kids get to go outside and play lots of games. Somehow the games end up having contact, even though that is not the intent or design of the game. We have at least one major injury each year (broken legs, arms, etc) and numerous smaller injuries.
I am hoping for an error in the sprinkler schedule, if the rain doesn't occur. But if it does rain, then pray for rain on Monday too, as that would then be the make up day.

And the baby doves are huge - no room for mom on the nest. They look rather vulture-like now. I am sure they will look better in a day or two when more feathers come in.

TUSooner
5/13/2004, 07:52 PM
Its a rainy day. Cut me some slack.

On a side note, it is pouring down rain outside and the guy next door is mowing his lawn.

Rainman?
Maybe you can get him to cut yours while he's at it. ;)

TUSooner
5/13/2004, 07:56 PM
I am praying for rain - tomorrow is Field Day at school. That's when all the kids get to go outside and play lots of games. Somehow the games end up having contact, even though that is not the intent or design of the game. We have at least one major injury each year (broken legs, arms, etc) and numerous smaller injuries.
I am hoping for an error in the sprinkler schedule, if the rain doesn't occur. But if it does rain, then pray for rain on Monday too, as that would then be the make up day.

And the baby doves are huge - no room for mom on the nest. They look rather vulture-like now. I am sure they will look better in a day or two when more feathers come in.
Let it rain there, but not here, please. We've had a colossal screw-up with the State Cup semis and final. The wienies at La Soccer Assn postponed twice, and if we don't play this weekend in Baton Rouge, I doubt I can keep my team together for another week -- not even sure I WANT to! :rolleyes: It's time to move on.

BajaOklahoma
5/13/2004, 08:08 PM
Let it rain there, but not here, please. We've had a colossal screw-up with the State Cup semis and final. The wienies at La Soccer Assn postponed twice, and if we don't play this weekend in Baton Rouge, I doubt I can keep my team together for another week -- not even sure I WANT to! :rolleyes: It's time to move on.

My daughter had her final State Cup games last weekend. Since we had ONE sub for the second game - one of our 2 goalies, who NEVER play on the field - we felt lucky to survive with minimal injuries. Sad to finish with a loss though.
My daughter played for the same coach her entire competetive career - very unusual. There are 5 of them that made it all the way through.
There are more State Cup games this weekend - the fields where they are played drain well.

OUthunder
5/14/2004, 05:15 AM
My one year old son decided to give me wake-up calls at 4:23 am and the final one at 5:23 am. He's cutting teeth so its a tough time to be a single parent ...;)

But my better half gets back tonight & I get to play golf both days this weekend but rain is in the forecast.

Thank Goodness for coffee and it is on me this morning. Caribou Mocha Java, my favorite.

Ahh Ohhhh ...I hear the pitter patter of little feet upstairs. Child #2 is awake.

Cartoon time.

TUSooner
5/14/2004, 02:04 PM
My daughter had her final State Cup games last weekend. Since we had ONE sub for the second game - one of our 2 goalies, who NEVER play on the field - we felt lucky to survive with minimal injuries. Sad to finish with a loss though.
My daughter played for the same coach her entire competetive career - very unusual. There are 5 of them that made it all the way through.
There are more State Cup games this weekend - the fields where they are played drain well.

Yep, sounds like the end of an era, but it must have been a pretty good era to stick with the same team and coach for so long. Probably a few farewell tears, I'd imagine (for the girls, I mean). Maybe you'll get to do it all again with grand kids. :eek:
I love watching my girls play soccer, even more than I like coaching softball, although that's pretty fun, too. The only problem with this season is that it didn't end when it was supposed to, so now everything else in life is a conflict or getting put on hold. We had one dad who threatened to sue, demand a refund, and go to another team next year because his daughter might not have been able to play after the second rescheduling. Whew. The guy didn't care a bit about any of the other girls. Well, he did sort-of calm down, and I think he realizes he was a jerk. But we managed to get a game time convenient for them, and now 2 other girls can't play. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! Ya try to be nice........

TigerGirl
5/14/2004, 05:32 PM
We had one dad who threatened to sue, demand a refund, and go to another team next year because his daughter might not have been able to play after the second rescheduling. Whew. The guy didn't care a bit about any of the other girls. Well, he did sort-of calm down, and I think he realizes he was a jerk. But we managed to get a game time convenient for them, and now 2 other girls can't play. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! Ya try to be nice........

Sounds like somebody from New Orleans. ;)

I'm posting from beautiful and scenic Gulf Shores, Alabama. No rain here, just lots of wind and balmy weather. A weekend of Tennis and Beach and hopes of catching a little LSU baseball on the radio.

I saw a Sooner minivan in the parking lot today at the beach. That's a little unusual all the way down here, but it was all smashed up with tape on the sides and stuff. I was wondering if they drove all the way from Oklahoma like that or if it happened here and they're going to have to drive all the way back like that. Either way - not good.

BajaOklahoma
5/14/2004, 06:42 PM
Yep, sounds like the end of an era, but it must have been a pretty good era to stick with the same team and coach for so long. Probably a few farewell tears, I'd imagine (for the girls, I mean). Maybe you'll get to do it all again with grand kids. :eek:
I love watching my girls play soccer, even more than I like coaching softball, although that's pretty fun, too. The only problem with this season is that it didn't end when it was supposed to, so now everything else in life is a conflict or getting put on hold. We had one dad who threatened to sue, demand a refund, and go to another team next year because his daughter might not have been able to play after the second rescheduling. Whew. The guy didn't care a bit about any of the other girls. Well, he did sort-of calm down, and I think he realizes he was a jerk. But we managed to get a game time convenient for them, and now 2 other girls can't play. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! Ya try to be nice........

I think it will hit later. I was the manager for the first 3 years, then got tired of it all. But we have a great group of parents. The coach has been great about picking thr players and the parents too.

We had field day today! We all survived it. A bit cold - they really should have announced the wind chill this morning (it was 46 around 9 AM) - but at least no heat stroke.

OUthunder
5/14/2004, 07:48 PM
I think it will hit later. I was the manager for the first 3 years, then got tired of it all. But we have a great group of parents. The coach has been great about picking thr players and the parents too.

We had field day today! We all survived it. A bit cold - they really should have announced the wind chill this morning (it was 46 around 9 AM) - but at least no heat stroke.

NO broken bones Baja?

If so, congrats and happy summer to you.

TUSooner
5/14/2004, 11:31 PM
Sounds like somebody from New Orleans. ;)

I'm posting from beautiful and scenic Gulf Shores, Alabama. No rain here, just lots of wind and balmy weather. A weekend of Tennis and Beach and hopes of catching a little LSU baseball on the radio.

I saw a Sooner minivan in the parking lot today at the beach. That's a little unusual all the way down here, but it was all smashed up with tape on the sides and stuff. I was wondering if they drove all the way from Oklahoma like that or if it happened here and they're going to have to drive all the way back like that. Either way - not good.

Sounds like a nice weekend on the coast,TG. I hope I get to spend some time around there this summer.

BajaOklahoma
5/15/2004, 02:38 AM
NO broken bones Baja?

If so, congrats and happy summer to you.

Yeap! :D And very few in the clinic - period. :D :D :D
Five more days - but who is counting.

And the daughter got her Senior English paper back today. Her teacher is very strict on grading the papers - if you mess up one citation, it drops you a full letter grade, two citation errors costs you two letter grades. Between both of the Senior AP that this lady teachers, their were a few As, a few more Bs, a bunch of Cs and very few failing grades. The teacher had already told the daughter's class that everyone in there had passed. My daughter was hoping for a high C, but received an 88. Yeap, a citation error dropped her from a 98 to an 88 - and she was thrilled to get it. She beat out the kid ranked #6 in their class. Though she won't officially be told until Monday, it looks like no finals for her. (Geez, I always had to take my finals)

Thunder, enjoy your golf. I'll be sleeping in.

OUthunder
5/15/2004, 08:18 AM
FORE!

BajaOklahoma
5/15/2004, 08:47 AM
For my 150th post on this thread, I have to wonder when it will receive its 10,000th viewer?

OUinFLA
5/15/2004, 01:21 PM
For my 150th post on this thread, I have to wonder when it will receive its 10,000th viewer?

Since there are only about 10 of us actually posting on this thread,
and we check it at least 5 times a day...........
figure sometime around.......Memorial Day........

Oh, wait, since Baja will be out of school soon, that will skew the view frequency.
Better make that two days after Baja finishes this school year.

:D:D

Jason White's Third Knee
5/15/2004, 02:06 PM
Anyone seen anything on the Queen Mary 2? That is one big arsed boat. Since I have taken my first cruise recently, I have been looking at ships more closely. This is the biggest passenger ship ever built and is massive. It's around 1400 ft long. The wild thing is that I heard about another ship called the Freedom Ship. www.freedomship.com (http://www.freedomship.com) That thing will be 4000 feet long... yes, getting close to a mile. It will have an airport ON IT! It will be able to hold 100,000 passengers and will circle the globe every 3 years. You can purchase your own condo on the ship. Now that is a project.

OUinFLA
5/15/2004, 02:08 PM
Will it have a football field capable of hosting the BCS Championship game?

BajaOklahoma
5/15/2004, 02:58 PM
figure sometime around.......Memorial Day........

Oh, wait, since Baja will be out of school soon, that will skew the view frequency.
Better make that two days after Baja finishes this school year.

:D:D

Wait, we have to go to Norman to get my daughter's classes scheduled. We will run up there on Saturday - that means no internet until we get back and run through graduation on Wednesay. So that will skew it the other way. :(
Seriously, you idiot.

JWTK, we went on a cruise almost 25 years ago (with lots of people who were old - around my current age). Cunard Line, awesome service.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/15/2004, 08:27 PM
Wait, we have to go to Norman to get my daughter's classes scheduled. We will run up there on Saturday - that means no internet until we get back and run through graduation on Wednesay. So that will skew it the other way. :(
Seriously, you idiot.

JWTK, we went on a cruise almost 25 years ago (with lots of people who were old - around my current age). Cunard Line, awesome service.
Cunard, now owned by Carnival, built the Queen Mary 2. They built it under the Cunard co. because of the prestige. It has a rrroller blade rink for your boys, plus it has rock climbing. Sweet eh?

The Freedom ship is supposed to have a a ton of rec space, but you'll have to check the site to see how much. It will be an amazing structure, if it actually happens. Parks out the whazz. Just check iit out. It's fascinating.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/15/2004, 08:28 PM
Hey, I am incching toward 1400 at the same time as this thread. Wowie!

Jason White's Third Knee
5/15/2004, 08:29 PM
I am not the biggest post padder here (see OUThunder), but I am not against it to get the prize.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/15/2004, 08:32 PM
Not for the weak stomached, I thought I'd post what real torture is like....

An Iraqi defector with detailed knowledge of Saddam Hussein's decades-long record of torture and human rights abuses has stepped forward to challenge the claims of premier peace activist and former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark, who has been telling audiences that reports of the Iraqi dictator's brutality are greatly exaggerated

On Thursday, Maha Yusef, a former Iraqi citizen who escaped from Saddam's clutches along with her husband in the 1980s, described several executions that were preceded by the most gruesome and extreme methods of torture - episodes that were personally supervised by Saddam or his son Uday.

Yusef described the plight of one of Saddam's own relatives, Dr. Rahji al Tikriti, who had escaped to Amman, Jordan, in a blatant show of defiance against the Baath Party regime.

The Iraqi dictator sent word to his relative that "if you come back to Iraq, you'll be fine, we'll forgive you," Yusef told WLIE-NY Radio's Mike Siegel.

The relative agreed. Yusef explained what happened next:

"As soon as he arrived back in Baghdad Dr. Rahji was taken to jail. He was starved for a few days. Then, while Saddam was meeting with his cabinet, he said, 'I would like you to come out and let's look at this courtyard.'"

Dr. Rahji, meanwhile, had been dragged from his jail cell, stripped naked and marched to the center of the courtyard - in full view of the gathering.

As recounted by the Iraqi defector, "Four or five Doberman Pinschers who hadn't eaten for a while - [Saddam] actually had them go and eat this gentleman alive."

"He loves doing these kind of acts," Yusef told Siegel, because it sends a message to other dissidents.

The defector-turned-American citizen said her account of Saddam ordering his own relative's execution by dog mauling is "a well-known story" in Iraq, and sourced her own version to several Iraqis with intimate knowledge of Baath Party brutality.

Yusef detailed another execution ordered by Saddam's high-living son Uday, who killed "a beautiful Iraqi woman" who made the mistake of telling her hairdresser that he had invited her to a party at the presidential palace.

Saddam's secret police were tipped that the woman was bragging she was Uday's girlfriend.

When the woman arrived at the palace, Uday had her stripped naked in front of other party guests, slathered with honey and thrown into a room full of bees, where she was stung to death.

"Obviously, he learned these little techniques from his father," Yusef told Siegel.

The former Iraqi citizen detailed yet another gruesome episode that dates back to the Iran-Iraq war, when Saddam asked his cabinet if anyone disagreed with his battle strategy. When the health minister suggested it might be a good idea to declare a cease-fire, Saddam invited him to step into an adjoining room.

Then he personally shot him in the head.

The brutality didn't end there. Believing that her husband had been jailed rather than executed, the health minister's wife appealed for his release. She was ecstatic when Saddam agreed to her request.

"First thing in the morning she opens her door and she sees this plastic bag on her doorstep," Yusef said. "Inside was her husband's body - cut into many pieces." Apprised last week of Maha Yusef's account of the dog attack execution, peace activist Clark said: "I've worked with problems of defection and informers for years and years and they're not generally reliable. You have to be careful about who you're talking to. I also recognize propaganda. And I hear more garbage and propaganda coming out about how evil the Iraqi people are."

Jason White's Third Knee
5/15/2004, 08:33 PM
...and these are the dumbassed reports that we see. This should be a cakewalk for these guys.

Report: Rumsfeld OK'd Prisoner Program

Jason White's Third Knee
5/15/2004, 08:35 PM
http://doctorg.com/index.htm

This is rated 'R'. Nice mission statement. Not porn BTW.

BajaOklahoma
5/15/2004, 08:38 PM
You have to be careful about who you're talking to. I also recognize propaganda. And I hear more garbage and propaganda coming out about how evil the Iraqi people are."

I've always thought that propaganda was what the other guy was saying - when he didn't agree with what you were saying.

Seriously.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/15/2004, 08:38 PM
Simpler BCS would ditch schedule strength

I guess we just need to dunp te BCS all together. This is horse sh#t. I can't believe that with the pansy schedule that USC had, people really care that they beat Michigan. BUNK!!!!!!!!!!

They are ruining the best system yet. It ain't a playoff, but it is better than the new crap.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/15/2004, 08:39 PM
I've always thought that propaganda was what the other guy was saying - when he didn't agree with what you were saying.

Seriously.
Hey, I was padding to get 1350. dang.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/15/2004, 08:42 PM
Next time I will be less interesting. and that will be tough.

OUinFLA
5/15/2004, 08:54 PM
Baja scoops another "key" number. :)
Not bad for a part time post padder.

Seriously.

BajaOklahoma
5/15/2004, 09:27 PM
Rats, I wasn't even trying to get the "magic number". I thought that I would be 1348 or so.
JW, next time use the quick reply at the bottom of the page. It will only let you enter a message every 30 seconds though. And make your messages shorter so I won't mess up the post padding. ;)

Seriously, you idiot!

OUthunder
5/15/2004, 10:00 PM
I hate post padders. :)

BajaOklahoma
5/15/2004, 10:28 PM
I hate post padders. :)

6,075 posts says you are lying!

Seriously. ;)

GDC
5/16/2004, 06:32 AM
just wanted to leave a quick massage

BajaOklahoma
5/16/2004, 06:59 AM
just wanted to leave a quick massage

Post padder!!!!! ;)

OUthunder
5/16/2004, 07:32 AM
I''m a thread watcher ...I'm a thread watcher ...everyday. :)

Jason White's Third Knee
5/16/2004, 09:59 AM
Rats, I wasn't even trying to get the "magic number". I thought that I would be 1348 or so.
JW, next time use the quick reply at the bottom of the page. It will only let you enter a message every 30 seconds though. And make your messages shorter so I won't mess up the post padding. ;)

Seriously, you idiot!
I did use the quick post function, but I was too busy trying to post unique themes. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

OUinFLA
5/16/2004, 11:31 AM
I suggest a diciplinary banning for "thread busters" ??
Those who knowingly or unknowinly jump into someone elses
attempt to reach some mythically magic post number and ruin
a perfectly good thought pattern. Oh..........wait, we would
have to ban OUthunder every day!!!!!!!!
Seriously, I was thinking perhaps a 30 minute posting ban for
the offender.............again........wait,,,,,,,,,thi s would be like
a death sentence to OUthunder.
Since he is my friend, I guess this is a bad idea.
Just ban Baja for 3 minutes and all will be right with the thread.

BajaOklahoma
5/16/2004, 02:10 PM
Just ban Baja for 3 minutes and all will be right with the thread.

:( I am sorry. :( But do I get credit for trying to give the 1250 to JWTK, since he really had it and then "lost it" with the server issue? He can have the 1350 too, since I wasn't really intending to try for it..... sigh... I hate it when I mess things up. :( :( :( :( :( :(

OUthunder
5/16/2004, 06:05 PM
Everbody chill and drink a Margarita like me. WooHoo.

BajaOklahoma
5/16/2004, 06:09 PM
Everbody chill and drink a Margarita like me. WooHoo.

Ummmm, can you go back back to an old avatar though? I liked the others......

OUthunder
5/17/2004, 07:39 AM
Ummmm, can you go back back to an old avatar though? I liked the others......

Hey, you should be happy. The Yankees are in first place but the Rangers are improved.

Its almost summer vacation for you Baja.

OUinFla is ALWAYS on summer vacation.

BajaOklahoma
5/17/2004, 04:17 PM
You are correct - I do need a better avatar. I will never put up a horrible avatar again.

Its almost summer vacation for you Baja.

OUinFla is ALWAYS on summer vacation.

I edited your post since I KNOW that's what you really meant to say! ;)

And you are just jealous that I have 4 days left - but the kids get out early on Friday, so it will be like a half day!

I can hardly wait for things to slow down for OUinFla so he can post more....

Still looking for my new OESD. Sly was adopted..... sigh.

Worker Bee
5/17/2004, 04:34 PM
Woo-hoo, woo-hoo! #1!

OUthunder
5/17/2004, 06:33 PM
I edited your post since I KNOW that's what you really meant to say! ;)

And you are just jealous that I have 4 days left - but the kids get out early on Friday, so it will be like a half day!

Still looking for my new OESD. Sly was adopted..... sigh.

<----- per your request.

BajaOklahoma
5/17/2004, 07:40 PM
<----- per your request.

Awesome! Much better! Thank you! :D

OUinFLA
5/17/2004, 08:42 PM
[QUOTE=BajaOklahoma]
QUOTE]

Ah hem......check my post count! Now, I know I am no thunder, but then my fingers are older and get tired easily. Perhaps one of the reasons I am having to work as much as I am lately is because of the initial race to get to 3 stars???
Nah, that cant be.

I am looking for a break in my life within 2 weeks.

XingTheRubicon
5/18/2004, 07:37 AM
I'm ready to not look at this thread anymore.

It would make my day if Admin would lock this worthless
steamer and dock everyone's post count in the "ender"
thread X2.

OUthunder
5/18/2004, 09:11 AM

thread X2.

It could be worse ...we could make this thread a poll.:D

BTW, have a drink. Its too early to be this bitter.

Jimminy Crimson
5/18/2004, 09:19 AM
Poll?

Did someone say poll?

Jason White's Third Knee
5/18/2004, 09:39 AM

thread X2.
So bitter, so jealous. Hey, if this thread didn't exist, I wouldn't know about Baja's being dangerous to be around, Thunder's over the top love for golf, and TU's knack for finding the most trivial of trivia. I say if the guys that look at this post don't like it, they can let it die a natural death. Haha!

Jason White's Third Knee
5/18/2004, 09:52 AM
So anyway, I am watching the Wizard of Oz with my kid for the bajillianth time and I rewound a few parts to catch some things that I haven't caught before. There were some awfully biggy wordies in that movie and I did some further research... yes, I am a dork.

There is a site that has these words listed as the vocabulary of Oz. This makes me feel dumb.

pusillanimous - lacking courage and resolution

Used: "Every pusillanimous creature that crawls on the earth,
or slinks through slimy seas has a brain!"
(The Wizard before giving the Scarecrow his Diploma)
__________________________________________________ __________

aver - to confirm as authentic

Used: "As Coroner, I must aver, I thoroughly examined her,
And she's not only merely dead, She's really most sincerely dead."
(The Coroner, singing in Munchkinland, verifying the death of the
Wicked Witch of the East)

cruller- a small, sweet cake in the form
of a twisted strip fried in deep fat

Used: "Here, here - can't work on an empty stomach.
Have some crullers."
(Aunt Em speaking to the farmhands before Dorothy goes to Oz)

beneficent- performing acts of kindness and charity

Used: "The beneficient Oz has every intention
of granting your requests!"
(The Wizard speaking to the four as they first meet)

The following words were used in
"If I Were King of the Forest" (sung by the lion)
----------------------------------

chintz - a printed calico from India/glazed
printed cotton fabric

Used: "Would be satin, not cotton, not chintz"

genuflect - to touch the knee to the floor in worship

Used: "The chipmunks genuflect to me"

Hottentot - a member of a people of southern Africa
apparently akin to both the
Bushmen and the Bantus

Used: "What makes the Hottentot so hot?"

caliginous - black, misty, dark

Used: "You dare to come to me for a heart, do you?
You clinking, clanking, clattering collection of caliginous junk!"
(The Wizard speaking to the Tin Man as the foursome first meet him)

affrontery - to insult to the face by behavior or language

Used: "And you, Scarecrow, have the affrontery
to ask for a brain..."
(The Wizard speaking to the Scarecrow as the
foursome first meet him)

meritorious - deserving of reward or honor

Used: "Therefore, for meritorious conduct, extraordinary valor,
conspicuous bravery against wicked witches, I award you the Triple Cross."
(The Wizard awarding the Lion with his medal after
melting the Wicked Witch)

OUthunder
5/18/2004, 10:44 AM
stay away from Willy Wonka.

XingTheRubicon
5/18/2004, 11:06 AM
So bitter, so jealous. Hey, if this thread didn't exist, I wouldn't know about Baja's being dangerous to be around, Thunder's over the top love for golf, and trivial TU's knack for finding the most of trivia. I say if the guys that look at this post don't like it, they can let it die a natural death. Haha!

Are you arguing for or against the thread?

TigerGirl
5/18/2004, 12:26 PM
Just stopped by to say Hi. The rain is never ending these days here in Tigerville. The water is almost up to the bridge to my house. Last time that happened was Tropical Storm Allison, they closed the bridge and the whole town was flooded and it was hell getting the kid to day camp and to work. So much water.

TUSooner
5/18/2004, 03:02 PM
Just stopped by to say Hi. The rain is never ending these days here in Tigerville. The water is almost up to the bridge to my house. Last time that happened was Tropical Storm Allison, they closed the bridge and the whole town was flooded and it was hell getting the kid to day camp and to work. So much water.

Hey TG-
I made 3 (count 'em) trips to Red Stick this weekend. I even drove right by Tiger Stadium under construction (I only gagged a little!) and Alex Box (replete with tailgater's under tents in the rain). Saturday, my youngest played half a state-cup semifinal game before the storms hit. Then we got to come back at about 7:30 SUuday AM to finish the game (and lose to a Batom Rouge team). My oldest can't play yet after knee repair, but she wanted to see her team in the championship game at 3. Nobody wanted to wait all day, so we went home and then she & I came back....just in time to hear that the game was rained out. And to think I spent all season bragging about how soccer is not affected much by the weather....mmmm, mmmm. Aren't we close to the record??

TUSooner
5/18/2004, 03:03 PM
Is this it?

TUSooner
5/18/2004, 03:04 PM
Or is this the record-breaking post? Where that Fake Don Dokken when you need him? Wasn't he the one that knew the record?

TUSooner
5/18/2004, 03:20 PM
I coulda sworn the record was 138-something.

TUSooner
5/18/2004, 03:21 PM
Doesn't any body remember what the record number of posts on a thread is??

TUSooner
5/18/2004, 03:24 PM
Maybe it's 139-something. I give up

Jimminy Crimson
5/18/2004, 03:48 PM
One MILLION!

OUinFLA
5/18/2004, 04:06 PM
One MILLION!

!!! You gotta be kidding! That would take until July 4th!!!!!!!
I dont want to wait that long for a record!

OUthunder
5/18/2004, 04:26 PM
I think The Fake Don Dokken may have gotten banned today?

Not sure though, just a rumor.

BajaOklahoma
5/18/2004, 05:12 PM
Are you arguing for or against the thread?

I am for this thread. If you don't like it, don't read it. I tend to avoid the political threads....
This is a fun thread - no hate, nice language, occasionally educational and informative.

BYW, I had to call 911 today. Bee sting. Kid with no prior history. Too much excitement for the end of school. Keep those kids away from the bees, please. Duh! :mad:

TUSooner
5/18/2004, 08:13 PM
I am for this thread. If you don't like it, don't read it. I tend to avoid the political threads....
This is a fun thread - no hate, nice language, occasionally educational and informative.

BYW, I had to call 911 today. Bee sting. Kid with no prior history. Too much excitement for the end of school. Keep those kids away from the bees, please. Duh! :mad:
We may be inane, but we're happy!
My Grandpa kept bees for years near McLoud. Then one day he finally got stung - on the end of the nose - and realized he was severely allergic. Bye-bye bees.

BajaOklahoma
5/18/2004, 09:20 PM
My Grandpa kept bees for years near McLoud. Then one day he finally got stung - on the end of the nose - and realized he was severely allergic. Bye-bye bees.

My m-i-l keeps bees in OKC. Have you seen the commercial with the guy cutting down the hive? Mr. Baja swears that his mother made him do that when he was in grade school..... this is the same woman who drove off without one of her kids, twice. Ummmm, CPS? I would like to report a case of child endangerment.....

OklahomaTrombone
5/18/2004, 10:04 PM
this thread is good for a post like this...

it serves no purpose..but you don't have to worry about someone yelling at you....

OUinFLA
5/19/2004, 06:55 AM
..... this is the same woman who drove off without one of her kids, twice......

In keeping with the theme of this thread, your post reminded me to two somewhat amusing stories I will share.

1. my wife has had a wonderful relationship with my mother for many years. Due to my mother's inability to drive herself anywhere, my wife took her to the local mall a couple of years ago for some shopping. Since they both were interested in shopping for different items in different locations, they agreed to split up and shop seperately and meet at a convenient area once they were through spending money.

We live about 15 minutes from the mall, and my wife walks in the door and I ask her where she has been and how her day went??? She responds with, well, I took your mother to the ma.....................OMG! I forgot about her and left her there!!!

Rushing back to the mall she found my mom sitting on the bench outside patiently waiting her loving d-i-l's return to meet her at the agreed upon spot. I dont think my wife actually told her the truth, she just said, "I thought I would just go get the car to make it easier on you by picking you up here". :D

2. My wife's aunt had a rather serious stroke and being a very close family relative, my wife flew to Houston to see her for perhaps the last time. Our son was about 3 years old at the time and quite prone to wandering off from us. We controled the wandering by using one of those stretch plastic kid's leashes that you snap to your wrist and clip to the child's belt. My M-I-L had also flown to Houston to see her sister in the hospital and was delighted to have her grandson present. M-I-L is quite responsible and has her wits together most of the time so my wife didnt mind letting Grandma and Grandson roam around together, especially since they had the "leash" to keep him in check.

Standing in front of the elevator to go up visit her sister, my m-i-l got distracted as the doors opened up. My son walked in the elevator, my m-i-l didnt. The doors closed and the elevator started to rise. M-i-l panicked! a very quick thinking passenger on the elevator whipped out his kinfe and cut the cord before my son got hurt. The cord popped through the door towards my m-i-l and she rushed to the stairs to run upstairs not knowing what could have happened to her grandson. The kind stranger got my son off at the next floor and waited until my panicked m-i-l showed up to claim her grandson. There was no problem with identification as they each had matching ends of a child's leash attached to them.

Unlike my wife in the previous story, my m-i-l confessed what had happened to my wife. Shouting and screaming ensued, and eventually all was forgiven. But I notice my wife was reluctant to let her mother have charge of our son in multi-storied buildings for the next couple of years.

TigerGirl
5/19/2004, 11:48 AM
Hey TG-
I made 3 (count 'em) trips to Red Stick this weekend. I even drove right by Tiger Stadium under construction (I only gagged a little!) and Alex Box (replete with tailgater's under tents in the rain). Saturday, my youngest played half a state-cup semifinal game before the storms hit. Then we got to come back at about 7:30 SUuday AM to finish the game (and lose to a Batom Rouge team). My oldest can't play yet after knee repair, but she wanted to see her team in the championship game at 3. Nobody wanted to wait all day, so we went home and then she & I came back....just in time to hear that the game was rained out. And to think I spent all season bragging about how soccer is not affected much by the weather....mmmm, mmmm. Aren't we close to the record??

Congrats on making it to the semis, that's good stuff!

I'm glad Tiger Stadium didn't make you too sick. I find it quite lovely. Here's a fun fact. The day after the final home game of this season, which is November 20th vs Ole Miss, they're going to start tearing down the west upper-deck. They will work 24 hours, 7 days a week until the deadline of Sept 3, 05, the first game of the season. The reconstructed west upper-deck will have the same pitch and size as the east side, someday they will be connected at the south end of the stadium. The number of seats added this time will be minimal, and all will be at the high-priced "club" level. And the press box will be bigger and nicer.

TUSooner
5/19/2004, 02:06 PM
In keeping with the theme of this thread, your post reminded me to two somewhat amusing stories I will share. etc.....

Those are funny...since everybody came out OK. I could easily picture some of my older relatives in those situations.

TUSooner
5/19/2004, 02:08 PM
Congrats on making it to the semis, that's good stuff!

I'm glad Tiger Stadium didn't make you too sick. I find it quite lovely. Here's a fun fact. The day after the final home game of this season, which is November 20th vs Ole Miss, they're going to start tearing down the west upper-deck. They will work 24 hours, 7 days a week until the deadline of Sept 3, 05, the first game of the season. The reconstructed west upper-deck will have the same pitch and size as the east side, someday they will be connected at the south end of the stadium. The number of seats added this time will be minimal, and all will be at the high-priced "club" level. And the press box will be bigger and nicer.
A college football program going for the money; go figure! :D

SelmaBamaFan
5/19/2004, 05:26 PM
So... since I refuse to read all 47 pages of this thread... someone get me up to speed so I can participate.

Thanks in advance.

OUthunder
5/19/2004, 06:09 PM
So... since I refuse to read all 47 pages of this thread... someone get me up to speed so I can participate.

Thanks in advance.

A thread about nothing. Post any subject but porn. No name calling or insults just good clean fun.

We do have some old geezers that post here but they are OK!;)

OUinFLA
5/19/2004, 08:21 PM
A thread about nothing. Post any subject but porn. No name calling or insults just good clean fun.

I resemble that "old geezer" comment.

btw, just what is a geezer?

OUinFLA
5/19/2004, 08:34 PM
1400 !

BajaOklahoma
5/19/2004, 08:47 PM

Alright sonny, watch it! You should respect us for our knowledge, charm, wisdom, beauty and ability to remember those things that you have heard about.

Welcome SelmaBamaFan! Glad to hear that you are moving to The City.

And I want to know what kind of alarm/warning system OUinFLA has on his computer? It obviously warns him that it is time to post here again so he can get another number! Congrats on the 1400.

BTW, have I mentioned lately that Friday is the last day of school for this year? :D I am soooooooo sad. :rolleyes:

OUthunder
5/20/2004, 06:36 AM
OUinFla & Baja, I love you both and I would never hurt you ...or would I?

TUSooner
5/20/2004, 11:18 AM
I resemble that "old geezer" comment.

I must be old, but I can't remember the last time I geezed. :confused:

OUthunder
5/20/2004, 11:52 AM
I must be old, but I can't remember the last time I geezed. :confused:

They say your memory is the first thing to go.;)

TUSooner
5/20/2004, 12:53 PM

According to the Oxford English Dictionary (online), "geezer" is a dialectical pronunciation of GUISER, which originally meant a masquerader or one who goes about in disguise. But I don't know how that came to be slang meaning:
"A term of derision applied esp. to men, usu. but not necessarily elderly; a chap, fellow."
The M-W Collegiate Dictionary (10th ed.) says it means "a queer, odd, or eccentric person --- used esp. of old men."
Just thought I'd throw that out there for a cheap ride to the top of the page.

BajaOklahoma
5/20/2004, 05:20 PM
Thunder, remember that smarts and cunning are better than youth and speed. Am I worried about you hurting me - no! But I'll bet OUinFLA is glad I am closer to you than he is..... ;) You stalker!

One more day! School is almost out for the summer!

And the daughter found out that she gets to wear a gold cord over her gown at graduation - for having a good GPA ...... she calls it the yellow, honking big tassel. :D

OUinFLA
5/20/2004, 09:02 PM
And the daughter found out that she gets to wear a gold cord over her gown at graduation - for having a good GPA ...... she calls it the yellow, honking big tassel. :D

That must make you feel very proud!! :)
I was just happy my son graduated from HS. It seemed questionable for the last couple of years :(

Jason White's Third Knee
5/21/2004, 07:53 AM

Thanks in advance.
Yeah, just post anything you want. It can be informative, funny, or not. At first we were all trying to impress each other by killing this thread and it backfired. Now we are on a mission.

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/paulhb19692/Bill+Snyder+wish.jpg

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/paulhb19692/Snyder+tan.jpg

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/paulhb19692/Schnell.jpg

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/paulhb19692/Got+em.jpg

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/paulhb19692/TransEddie.jpg

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/paulhb19692/Arab+guys.jpg

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/paulhb19692/Bills.jpg

If that doesn't clear it up, nothing will.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/21/2004, 08:31 AM
... oh yeah. We are at 1408 and the previous largest thread was 1395. Let's go for 10,000.

Red October
5/21/2004, 08:40 AM
10,000 what???

Jason White's Third Knee
5/21/2004, 08:53 AM
10,000 of your mother... or 10,000 posts. I'm a dork.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/21/2004, 08:54 AM
Actually, if Thunder would just post here instead of being the social butterfly that he is, we'd get there in about 2 weeks.

I think I am going to start calling thunder, "OUSpammer".

OUthunder
5/21/2004, 07:13 PM
Actually, if Thunder would just post here instead of being the social butterfly that he is, we'd get there in about 2 weeks.

I think I am going to start calling thunder, "OUSpammer".

There went the NO name calling and insulting thread thing out the window.

I'll try to think of an alternative handle for you later.

OUinFLA
5/21/2004, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=OUthunder]There went the NO name calling and insulting thread thing out the window.

[QUOTE]

from post # 1398
[QUOTE=OUthunder]We do have some old geezers that post here [QUOTE]

Harry Beanbag
5/21/2004, 09:03 PM
I've missed the last 45 pages of this thread. What happened?

SoonerInFla
5/21/2004, 09:13 PM
I've missed the last 45 pages of this thread. What happened?

Somebody got another Crimson Star.

OUinFLA
5/21/2004, 09:17 PM
Nothing important, ain't it great?

BajaOklahoma
5/21/2004, 09:29 PM
Nothing important, ain't it great?

Wrong! I am out for the summer... and that is very important. :D This teacher deal is cool because I get paid all year for only working 185 days... of course, it would be helpful to make more than $5.00 per month. Sigh.

So after we get back from Norman next week, watch out! I am going to see how quickly we can up these numbers.... :D But I am sad that I will probably be gone when OUinFla comes in and grabs the 1,500 post....

TUSooner
5/21/2004, 09:41 PM
Wrong! I am out for the summer... and that is very important. :D This teacher deal is cool because I get paid all year for only working 185 days... of course, it would be helpful to make more than $5.00 per month. Sigh.

So after we get back from Norman next week, watch out! I am going to see how quickly we can up these numbers.... :D But I am sad that I will probably be gone when OUinFla comes in and grabs the 1,500 post....

My wife is a school secretary and we all love that summer break; she gets about July plus a week or 2 off. (of course, we never go anywhere but softball tournaments it seems.) But Baja, you might get a small kick out of knowing that she got the job through kids' sports. Our daughter played on the same soccer & softball teams with the principal's daughter. A couple of summer's ago, we went to a mutual soccer/softball friend's beach house in Destin for a few days. One evening as we sat on the beach and had a few libations while watching the sunset, the principal mentioned that she was going to have to get back so she could start trying to fill a job vacancy at the school. Half joking, my wife said she wanted it; they kept talking, and before you know it- new job.

Sirus
5/22/2004, 02:20 AM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/sucks3.jpg

Seriously,this thread should be it's own forum by now.

BajaOklahoma
5/22/2004, 05:47 AM
My wife is a school secretary and we all love that summer break; she gets about July plus a week or 2 off. (of course, we never go anywhere but softball tournaments it seems.) But Baja, you might get a small kick out of knowing that she got the job through kids' sports. Our daughter played on the same soccer & softball teams with the principal's daughter. A couple of summer's ago, we went to a mutual soccer/softball friend's beach house in Destin for a few days. One evening as we sat on the beach and had a few libations while watching the sunset, the principal mentioned that she was going to have to get back so she could start trying to fill a job vacancy at the school. Half joking, my wife said she wanted it; they kept talking, and before you know it- new job.

That is wonderful - and it sounds like the principal would be pretty cool to work with too. We partied at one of the staff's house last night - it was sooo much fun. And the shock was our principal on the trampoline. If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it.
I was hired for this job because I am from Oklahoma and graduated from OU. The woman in charge of the school nurses was also from Oklahoma..... :D

OUthunder
5/22/2004, 08:14 AM
[QUOTE=OUthunder]There went the NO name calling and insulting thread thing out the window.

[QUOTE]

from post # 1398
[QUOTE=OUthunder]We do have some old geezers that post here [QUOTE]

Yeah, but you and Baja are family.:D

Disfunctional but family none the less.

BajaOklahoma
5/22/2004, 08:49 AM
Yeah, but you and Baja are family.:D

Disfunctional but family none the less.

But if we were really family, you would have only called us geezers amongst ourselves - not in public. Snif, sob.

OUthunder
5/23/2004, 10:13 AM
The social butterfly giving our beloved thread a weekend bump. Rain, rain, go away.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/23/2004, 10:43 AM
There went the NO name calling and insulting thread thing out the window.

I'll try to think of an alternative handle for you later.
I meant that in a good way. Call it a term of endearment.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/23/2004, 10:45 AM
Oh, you guys need to check out this week's farking contest. It's a doozy.

TUSooner
5/24/2004, 12:46 PM
***We partied at one of the staff's house last night - it was sooo much fun. And the shock was our principal on the trampoline. If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it.... :D
I guess that proves that the teachers love the end of the school year at least as much as the kids do !

Jason White's Third Knee
5/24/2004, 03:28 PM
This one's for TUSooner:

[Q] “What is the origin of the word doozie in the phrase ‘it’s a doozie’, meaning something unique or outstanding? It is often said it relates to the 1920s automobile, the Duesenberg, but it was used in a letter by Carl Akeley at the Field Museum in the late 1890s so it cannot be the car that the word derived from.”
[A] It was John Ciardi, I think, who suggested that doozy (as some dictionaries prefer to spell it) had something to do with the famous Duesenberg automobile, a car named after the brothers who developed it. Certainly the vehicles were known as Duesies in the 1920s and 1930s. But—as you have discovered—by the time Fred and August Duesenberg manufactured their first car in 1920, the noun doozy was already well established.

Your example actually predates those in the reference books, so it looks as though you have advanced lexicography by finding this earlier usage. These reference books, especially the Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang, suggest it first appeared about 1903.

You might think etymologists are slipping their mental gears if I tell you that they’re fairly sure that it comes from the flower named daisy. But that was once English slang, from the eighteenth century on, for something that was particularly appealing or excellent. It moved into North American English in the early nineteenth century and turns up, for example, in Thomas Chandler Haliburton’s The Clockmaker of 1836: “I raised a four year old colt once, half blood, a perfect picture of a horse, and a genuine clipper, could gallop like the wind; a real daisy, a perfect doll, had an eye like a weasel, and nostrils like Commodore Rodgers’s speakin’ trumpet”.

Experts think that that sense—which was still around at the end of the nineteenth century—might have been influenced by the name of the famous Italian actress Eleonora Duse, who first appeared in New York in 1893. Something Dusey was clearly excellent of its kind, and it is very likely that it and daisy became amalgamated in people’s minds to create a new term.

OUthunder
5/24/2004, 06:41 PM
I wish golf was an indoor sport.

Dang rain.:mad:

TUSooner
5/25/2004, 03:50 PM
This one's for TUSooner:

[Q] “What is the origin of the word doozie in the phrase ‘it’s a doozie’, meaning something unique or outstanding? It is often said it relates to the 1920s automobile, the Duesenberg, but it was used in a letter by Carl Akeley at the Field Museum in the late 1890s so it cannot be the car that the word derived from.”
[A] It was John Ciardi, I think, who suggested that doozy (as some dictionaries prefer to spell it) had something to do with the famous Duesenberg automobile, a car named after the brothers who developed it. Certainly the vehicles were known as Duesies in the 1920s and 1930s. But—as you have discovered—by the time Fred and August Duesenberg manufactured their first car in 1920, the noun doozy was already well established.

Your example actually predates those in the reference books, so it looks as though you have advanced lexicography by finding this earlier usage. These reference books, especially the Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang, suggest it first appeared about 1903.

You might think etymologists are slipping their mental gears if I tell you that they’re fairly sure that it comes from the flower named daisy. But that was once English slang, from the eighteenth century on, for something that was particularly appealing or excellent. It moved into North American English in the early nineteenth century and turns up, for example, in Thomas Chandler Haliburton’s The Clockmaker of 1836: “I raised a four year old colt once, half blood, a perfect picture of a horse, and a genuine clipper, could gallop like the wind; a real daisy, a perfect doll, had an eye like a weasel, and nostrils like Commodore Rodgers’s speakin’ trumpet”.

Experts think that that sense—which was still around at the end of the nineteenth century—might have been influenced by the name of the famous Italian actress Eleonora Duse, who first appeared in New York in 1893. Something Dusey was clearly excellent of its kind, and it is very likely that it and daisy became amalgamated in people’s minds to create a new term.
I can't touch that. But let me see if the OED says anything.

TUSooner
5/25/2004, 03:54 PM
Doozy - "Of uncertain origin: perh. var. of DAISY" is the best OED can come up with. I'll go with Dr. Knee's efforts (and likely include it in my daily blurb to the office.)

BajaOklahoma
5/25/2004, 07:33 PM
TU, yes we love the end of school. Of particular cause for celebration was the fact that one of our most challenging familes is no long with us - moved to another district! I'll drink to that. Most of the kids - we really miss them, but enjoy watching them grow.

Did you guys miss me? Lil Baja is officially enrolled at OU for the Fall. I am so impressed with the improvements in the Honor's Program - from the orientation on. Yea! And tomorrow she graduates from high school.

And, we get to announce the arrival of our newest family member - Rylee (Riley or Rylie). A 7-week-old Old English, all white head with one China blue eye and one deep brown. She likes our Old English - guess she looks like mama. But so far, she is a bit nippy around our golden. It has only been an hour, so I think it will get better.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/25/2004, 09:18 PM
I have a chihuahua. I know what you are thinking. He's a really good guy though. he does his best to be a regular dog. He is not yappy. He is not a coward either. He does know how to sit, jump, fetch, lay, stand, roll over, speak, growl, play dead and about 5 other tricks that I can't make him do. My wife gets to do the others. He's pretty cool for a dog that I never wanted to have in the first place. He is under 5 lbs. and his name is Fang. A big bag of dog food will last him forever.

Not bad.

BajaOklahoma
5/25/2004, 09:42 PM
I would say that your dog would be an appetizer for our dogs - but our dogs are a bit leary of anything that small....
The 2 Old English are trying to play together - pretty funny. The little one actually seems to be in control... sort of. She is dragging around the toys, including the Kong pull toy. I am waiting for one of the other dogs to pick up the other end and fling her across the room ..... but they are pretty gentle so far....

TUSooner
5/26/2004, 09:01 AM
Our Shih-Tzu, BJ (formerly known as "Dean") is a ball of fun since he was "fixed" But he's pretty much a scaredy-cat er...dog, er... something.... I'm not a small guy, so I imagine I look pretty funny walking the little fuzz-ball. He would be a snack for many dogs in our neighborhood.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/26/2004, 10:04 AM
Same here. I'm 6' 250. I had someone say I looked like I was walking a bug on a leash.

Funny thing. I was in an airport restroom and noticed that it was flooding. I told an attendant at the airline counter and she replied, "You don't need to be telling me that. you need to be tellin' a man." To which I replied, "I don't need to tell anyone anything. I am just trying to help." Anyway, we sassed back and forth until I realized that I was carrying a sub-5 lb dog, had a pinky ring on (I had just bought a Sooner Orange Bowl ring from '76 and it didn't fit my ring finger), I was wearing Dockers and had a sweater draped oover my shoulders. I hung my head in shame and walked away.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/26/2004, 10:05 AM
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/paulhb19692/Sexy-pricipal.gif

...and this.

TUSooner
5/26/2004, 04:21 PM
I don't know whether to laugh or barf.

OUthunder
5/26/2004, 05:39 PM
Here's a palindrome for you ...

TATTARRATTAT is the longest palindrome in the OED2, which calls it a nonce word. The OED2 shows a single use in 1922 by James Joyce in Ulysses: "I knew his tattarrattat at the door."

TUSooner
5/26/2004, 10:37 PM
Here's a palindrome for you ...

TATTARRATTAT is the longest palindrome in the OED2, which calls it a nonce word. The OED2 shows a single use in 1922 by James Joyce in Ulysses: "I knew his tattarrattat at the door."
"nonce"
heh. :cool:

TigerGirl
5/27/2004, 11:21 AM
Yep, still here.

TigerGirl
5/27/2004, 11:22 AM
Working sucks, btw. Too much work = not nearly enough slacker time.

BajaOklahoma
5/27/2004, 01:56 PM

I am ending week one of my eleven weeks off - oh, and I get paid for them too! :D (This is the biggest perk to working in the schools)
But I will go back to very long days the first 2-3 weeks of school. Then my youngest goes off to college. Sigh.

Looks like paint is on sale, just in time.

colleyvillesooner
5/27/2004, 02:12 PM

Ditto

TigerGirl
5/27/2004, 02:14 PM
I am ending week one of my eleven weeks off - oh, and I get paid for them too! :D (This is the biggest perk to working in the schools)
But I will go back to very long days the first 2-3 weeks of school. Then my youngest goes off to college. Sigh.

That is indeed a sweet deal, Baja. I wish I could get summer off, although I know the pay ain't what it should be and I'm quite sure I personally would not make the best of teachers. ;) Nobody would want their kid in my class.

College. Yikes! I know you're happy with her choice of schools! My only one is moving into middle school next year. I'm leery of the adolescent he's about to become. I can't wait to see where he wants to go to college. I've been encouraging him as long as I can remember to go away somewhere and leave Louisiana. I love my home but it is not an economically robust place, and the future is not pretty. Besides, he spends his summers on LSU's campus and probably will have had his fill of the place by the time he gets to deciding. Don't tell TU but my first choice was - yep - Tulane. :)

TigerGirl
5/27/2004, 02:15 PM
The name of this thread should be "IM THE GREATEST SLACKER OF ALL TIME!!!"

OUthunder
5/27/2004, 02:15 PM

Sandbagger.;)

BajaOklahoma
5/27/2004, 03:44 PM
My only one is moving into middle school next year. I'm leery of the adolescent he's about to become. I can't wait to see where he wants to go to college. I've been encouraging him as long as I can remember to go away somewhere and leave Louisiana. I love my home but it is not an economically robust place, and the future is not pretty. Besides, he spends his summers on LSU's campus and probably will have had his fill of the place by the time he gets to deciding. Don't tell TU but my first choice was - yep - Tulane. :)

Middle school is very tough. We have 6th, 7th and 8th together, which does seem to work. There is a mandatory homework agenda for the kids, which helps parents kinda know what is going on. The big thing is getting to know their friends. The two oldest, boys, were always encouraged to bring their friends over to our house (and I have the advantage of beating them home from school) so that I could get to know the kids and what was going on. Even today, the guys come back over when they are in town. And they really miss us during hockey playoffs - good times!

PDXsooner
5/27/2004, 06:01 PM
Ditto

is patrick swayze in here?

BajaOklahoma
5/27/2004, 06:21 PM
No.

But look at my post number for this thread now. 1450

TigerGirl
5/28/2004, 12:09 PM
I would like to wish this thread a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend.

I'll be heading over to east Texas for a girls weekend with my college friends. I am adequately supplied with the necessities...beer, vodka tonic supplies and Jack Daniels. I am experienced in the difficulties of acquiring alcohol in that part of the country. Therefore, I come prepared.

Cheers!

OUinFLA
5/28/2004, 01:15 PM
I wish you were coming to my house!

BajaOklahoma
5/28/2004, 06:47 PM
It must be Friday - OUinFla is Back! We have missed you!

This will be our first Memorial weekend without soccer since 1987..... sigh! The team is in Memphis, same as last year. Last year, the team played the State Champs from 3 different states. It was sad.... for them. ;)

Have a great weekend!

OUinFLA
5/28/2004, 08:41 PM
<blush>
Well thank you Baja,
You will have email soon. Life has been interesting to say the least.
Spend the weekend by the pool. Play water soccer.

Jason White's Third Knee
5/29/2004, 01:48 AM
OU in Fla- Why do I suck at fishing now when I was so good as a kid?

Baja- Are you for giving raises to teachers, based on performance, that would get your salary eeeeeeeaqual to business people?

TU- what is the next greatest nonsensecle post that I will enjoy?

LSUgirl- Why are you going to tx when you can tickle fight the teddy clad girls in LA?

OUspammer (OUThuner) That is a mildly funny name for you. What's going on up there besides crap golf... which is probably killer golf right now? You're a smart guy. I would like you to expound on your thoughts in tis thread.

The rest of ya's take heed? Post your fun toughts here. Give us your best. It CAN be football related. We just have had a great run of banter.......

Jason White's Third Knee
5/29/2004, 01:59 AM
I sent 4 of you PM's about avatars (the little pics under your names). I can make them for you. You will have to upload them yourself, if you want one. Just for fun...

Al Gore
5/29/2004, 07:08 AM
What about my wife taking a snap in her bikini?

OUinFLA
5/29/2004, 10:17 AM

Did your Dad or Grandpa set the hook for you?
Mine did.

Sometimes it's where you go fishing. I have had the greatest opportunity over the past 10 years to fish in a private area. It is 5000 land acres in central Florida that was mined for phosphate back in the late 50's. It consists of 5 lakes ranging from 200 to 800 acres. Fishing was restricted to a lease holder. One of my better friends had the lease over the past 7 years, and he would take guide trips out there. When he needed an extra guide, I would take his clients. This got me the benefit of being able to go fishing there whenever I wanted that didnt conflict with one of his trips.
It was strictly catch and release as the land owners knew they would develop the land someday.
In 2000 I was able to fish 2-3 times each week. My fishing partner and I caught a ton of fish that year.
Our best day was 100 bass which included three - 9 #'s, six - 8 #'s, four - 7#'s, twelve - 6 #'s and the rest were 3# - 5#, other than two fish we caught which were only 1#. Phenominal day to say the least.
We had a dozen days where we caught over 75 fish, and I personally caught 3 that went over 10 #'s that year.
A bad day that year was when we only caught 40 fish.
Over the year, we are guessing we boated over 1000 fish that went over 5#'s. We quit taking pictures unless the bass were 8#'s or better.

Since that year, the fishing has declined somewhat in those lakes, it is being developed heavily by next year and quite a few more people now have access to the lakes. We suspect many of them are taking the fish home with them. This year, it has been rare to catch over 40 fish, and 20-25 is more the norm. Fewer big fish have been caught and no 10# plus fish have been caught that we know of.

It was great while it lasted, but I have now almost totally converted to salt water fishing in Tampa Bay, and I am not as competent at salt water as I was at bass fishing. But, I like it better.

Consider this my contribution to diversify subject matter within this thread.

BajaOklahoma
5/29/2004, 10:40 AM
Baja- Are you for giving raises to teachers, based on performance, that would get your salary eeeeeeeaqual to business people?
The rest of ya's take heed? Post your fun toughts here. Give us your best. It CAN be football related. We just have had a great run of banter.......

I am not a teacher, though I am able to get teacher retirement. If I got paid per-clinic visit, I could retire now. :D
My view, as a non-teacher but working at a school, is that performance-based raises are "the devil". But that is already in place, to a degree, in our school district. The teacher live and breathe TAAS, TAKS, TEKS, whatever the current test is going. It is the only "objective" way to see if the required material is being taught.
The issue that most teachers have with "performance based raises" is that each child is different. They all come to school with different knowledge, skills, ability and desire. There is a big difference in getting an honors student to pass a basic test and getting a student that we know SHOULD be in Special Education (but just barely didn't meet the criteria) to pass the same test.
And once you start start making exceptions here and there on what constitutes a good performance evaluation, you are back to subjective evaluations.
We have a special "Structured" classroom - for autistic children. These kids get one-on-one teaching, many being taught how-to-learn (think Helen Keller learning fingerspelling "water" means water). These kids are so far from attempting a standardized test, how would that fit in? (and these poor teachers get to change diapers, suffer daily biting, and try to teach the kids)
We also have kids who go to the State (and often National) level of competition in Destination Imagination (think Oydessey of the Mind). They are so bright, the teachers have to stretch to keep ahead of them. How would that fit in?
What the teacher also hate is to get new students the week before the tests - they will count against the teacher even though common sense says that they shouldn't.
And that is my $5.00 on the subject. :D

Now if you want to hear my opinion on the Texas "Robin Hood Bill"; AKA, Rob Us Please .... OMG! That would be several thousand dollars! :D

OUthunder
5/29/2004, 04:58 PM

TU- what is the next greatest nonsensecle post that I will enjoy?

LSUgirl- Why are you going to tx when you can tickle fight the teddy clad girls in LA?

OUspammer (OUThuner) That is a mildly funny name for you. What's going on up there besides crap golf... which is probably killer golf right now? You're a smart guy. I would like you to expound on your thoughts in tis thread.

Thanks for the insults ...I feel like I'm in the South Oval now. Enjoy this thread and this will be my last post in it.

Have fun folks.

JWTK, you really need to learn how to spell.

TUSooner
5/29/2004, 09:54 PM
When I went to Birmingham in March, I learned that it is illegal for an individual to bring alcoholic beverages into Alabama. I guess you have to buy your booze there. Maybe some day I'll look up the statute.

As to avatars, I never gave much thought to what mine ought to be. Now I will think about it.

OUThunder, "Come back!"

Now I'm going to crash on the couch, because I'm home alone. <sniff>

Harry Beanbag
5/29/2004, 10:30 PM
hi

OUinFLA
5/30/2004, 06:22 AM
Thunder come home!

OUinFLA
5/30/2004, 06:23 AM
Not having much to do this morning....

OUinFLA
5/30/2004, 06:23 AM
I was thinking..............

OUinFLA
5/30/2004, 06:24 AM
that it might be kinda fun..........

OUinFLA
5/30/2004, 06:25 AM
if I was able to.............

OUinFLA
5/30/2004, 06:25 AM
figure out.........

BajaOklahoma
5/30/2004, 06:26 AM
nevermind - I was going to hijack you!

OUinFLA
5/30/2004, 06:26 AM
how to get........

OUinFLA
5/30/2004, 06:27 AM
to the top of page 50 in this neverending thread?

Baja = thoughtus interuptus

BajaOklahoma
5/30/2004, 06:33 AM
I was trying to put a comment after 1466, but I type too slowly.

I thought it would be funny to have it say:

OUinFLA
that it might be kinda fun..........

Baja
to have this turn into one of those stories that I start and you continue.

Of course, I talk too much too. Sigh.

BajaOklahoma
5/30/2004, 06:50 AM
to the top of page 50 in this neverending thread?

You have this thing for numbers - always managing to get on just in time to snag a good/important number! Just lucky or are you...... using ESP?

Thunder......? I hope you are playing some golf this morning. It's 7:40 AM and 79 outside. Wind advisory - which is the excuse that I use when I play golf.

I am waiting for the vet to call and let me know that I can pick up our older Old English. With all of the vomiting Friday night through Saturday afternoon, they were thinking foreign body obstruction or pancreatitis. The tests were all negative, except that she was a bit dehydrated. I took some of her dog food in last night and got to take her for a walk.......

OUinFLA
5/30/2004, 07:41 AM
This is one of "those stories". It is just disjointed.
JWTK is undertaking the task of catagorizing, and placing
all replies into book and chapter form. Im sure it will make
more sense then.

I am just lucky.

Hope the dog is ok. Amazing how they become "family".
My wife remarked one day.....I think I get more pleasure
out of the dog than I do being around our son.
Of course he had just turned 15 and knew everything at
that time. Now he is 19 and he knows even more.
At least the dog doesnt dispute our word. She just doesnt
obey...........well, neither does the son.

BajaOklahoma
5/30/2004, 02:06 PM
Bailey is back - with braided hair. (It calmed down at the vets during the evening). They kept her extra to finish off the IV. Time will tell if she is okay.
Sigh. But this is a great clinic - they came in way under the estimate, which was reasonable to begin with. Good vet care and nice people.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/1/2004, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the insults ...I feel like I'm in the South Oval now. Enjoy this thread and this will be my last post in it.

Have fun folks.

JWTK, you really need to learn how to spell.
It wasn't poor spelling this time. It was poor typing/editing. I suck at spelling too though. As far as being insulting, I was trying to be playful. I was also trying to get you to write on something other than golf and the weather surrounding golf.

TUSooner
6/1/2004, 04:50 PM
OK - Inane Evening Trivia:
Today (June 1) is the birthday of the motto "Don't give up the ship!" On June 1, 1813, Capt. James Lawrence, commanding the 49-gun U.S.S. CHESAPEAKE accepted a (literal) challenge from Philip Broke, captain of the 38-gun H.M.S. SHANNON to do battle off Boston. Lawrence was soon wounded but shouted, "Tell the men to fire faster and not to give up the ship; fight her till she sinks!" Nonetheless, the SHANNON battered the blood and snot out of CHESAPEAKE and captured her in under an hour. Lawrence died four days later. In his honor, a group of women stitched the words "Don't Give Up The Ship" into a flag that was presented to Oliver Hazard Perry, commander of the new U.S.S. LAWRENCE. Perry went on to win the battle of Lake Erie, on September 13, 1813, and the flag now hangs at the US Naval Academy. Less well known is Lawrence's last command to his crew - "Burn her!"

OUinFLA
6/1/2004, 05:18 PM
As an aside note, the same quote "Dont give up the ship" was shortened and bastardized by many an enlisted sailor into "I dont give a ship", or something similar.

TUSooner
6/1/2004, 09:06 PM
As an aside note, the same quote "Dont give up the ship" was shortened and bastardized by many an enlisted sailor into "I dont give a ship", or something similar.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/2/2004, 10:53 AM
Haha. The song "Blinded By The Light" was originally written and recorded by Bruce Springsteen. It was covered by Manfred Mann's Earth Band and went to #1. It was Springsteen's first #1 hit. The other big hit by Manfred? "There she was just a walkin' down the street, singin' dowadittyditttydumdittydo." The most controversial line in BBTL is most widely believed to be:
Revved up like a duece, another runner in the night.

But there is a lot of pot out there and the controversy lingers...

I wonder if Thunder is going to stay mad at me. I thought the OUspammer thing was funny. Alas, I have gone too far yet again.

OUinFLA
6/2/2004, 03:23 PM
When you come to Florida, you have gone too far.
Thunder will forgive you eventually I am sure. I fear he is golfing all day everyday.

BajaOklahoma
6/2/2004, 05:27 PM
I wonder if Thunder is going to stay mad at me. I thought the OUspammer thing was funny. Alas, I have gone too far yet again.

Send him a golf club - either an antique or a really good new one. :D
And no, I won't let you have my old ones to send to him! Referring to the antique ones, you know. Glad to help. :D

OUinFLA
6/2/2004, 08:21 PM
Antique golf clubs:
Story related to Norman, Ok.
My great-aunt Becky Berry, from Norman, owned a farm on the western outskirts of town many years ago. (Yep, the same Berry for which Berry Road is named)
I never knew my great-uncle as he died before I was old enough to remember him. However, I remember visiting my aunt many times as a young child. She loved to garden, and when raising tomatoes, she used wooden handled golf clubs to support the plants. She never minded that I would pull them up and play with them like toys. I remember she gave me one to keep. I dont remember how many clubs she had in her garden, but it was several. All had wooden handles.
I wonder what those would be worth nowdays?
I do remember trying to play golf once when I was about 13 or 14 at the local 9 hole golf course where I grew up, and I had a rag tag collection of clubs to play with.......believe it or not, one of them was a wooden handle 7 iron, courtesy of my Great aunt Becky.
Her son Curtis who was my second cousin, and a life-time resident and doctor in Norman was on the 1928 Sooner football team.
Personal Sooner history lesson for today.

GDC
6/2/2004, 08:35 PM
Speaking of antique golf clubs, here's an interesting article. Tom Stites is my cousin, and from Sallisaw.

Tiger, please tell us what's bugging you

Jim Reeves - commentary

We all know the analogy about the pregnant elephant in the room, the subject that's sitting there blatantly right under our noses but nobody wants to talk about it.

Tiger Woods is just the opposite. He's the pregnant elephant that's not in the room this week and everybody wants to talk about it.

So on the first day of the Bank of America Colonial this week, let's get Tiger out of the way and move on with the tournament.

Last week, irritated by Tiger's unwarranted and uncalled for shots at the Colonial course, I became a little hyperbolic and suggested, by his comments, that he was afraid to play there.

I don't really believe that. I don't think there's a golf course in the world that Tiger Woods is afraid of, or can't play.

Why he chose to demean the course by basically saying it was antiquated and not set up for the modern game, I don't know. He has always professed a love for the old, traditional, tree-lined courses such as Colonial. Certainly, he has the game to tame it, should he put his mind to it.

But he can't do that by avoiding it, which brings us back to the real reason he's not here.

We still don't know for sure what that is, and until Tiger decides to let us in on the secret, probably in some tell-all book yet to be written, we're left to guess.

It's not the course, I'm convinced of that. It's not, as Tiger said last week on the driving range before the first round of the Nelson, about Colonial being better suited for "persimmon clubs and soft balls."

That's one of the great things about golf, pros having to adapt their games to different courses and different styles of play. And Tiger has always been able to do that.

Truth be known, Tiger might be able to win at Colonial using just those tools -- persimmon clubs and soft balls.

It was only a couple of years ago that he made a special trip, with a little help from Nike rep Tom Stites, over to Fort Worth and Shady Oaks before the Nelson to swing some persimmon clubs, in fact.

Ben Hogan's old clubs.

Hogan's persimmon woods and irons were dusted off and Tiger took them to the range to take a few swings, a moment, the story goes, which was even preserved on video.

Tiger has a feel and appreciation for golf history. He admires those who paved the road that he now travels in such luxury.

He has shown tremendous respect for Byron Nelson and would have, I suspect, the same feeling about Hogan, if he were still alive. Certainly he admires and respects what Hogan accomplished.

I'm convinced Tiger meant absolutely no disrespect toward Hogan with his inappropriate remarks at the Nelson last week, which still doesn't excuse them. They made no sense.

I don't think Tiger knows what to say about Colonial anymore. He has his reasons for not coming back, but it's something he either won't voice or can't articulate, so he throws something else out as a red herring.

We've heard all the rumors, many of them focusing on the possibility of a racial incident while he played here in 1997. Maybe it happened, but Tiger doesn't strike me as the type of person who would fail to speak out if it did.

More likely it's as Star-Telegram golf writer Jimmy Burch says: Tiger's real reasons for avoiding Colonial might be as multi-layered as an onion.

It's probably not one thing, it's half a dozen things, all of which added up to an unpleasant experience in his only appearance in the tournament.

It started with Colonial officials jumping the gun on announcing his entry. They knew he'd arranged for housing in Fort Worth and that was the customary trigger for announcing that players would be in the tournament.

That was Colonial's first mistake. There's nothing customary about an appearance by Tiger Woods. He expects special treatment and part of that is never making an official commitment until he's ready to announce it.

It went downhill from there. From the ill-conceived Fuzzy Zoeller-Tiger apology round, which Tiger recognized as the tournament's attempt to garner publicity for itself, to him sitting uneasily in front of a backdrop for MasterCard (the tournament's sponsor then) for his first news conference the day after he'd signed a lucrative deal with American Express.

There was ex-Aggie David Ogrin, leading by a stroke, basically calling Tiger out in the post-third round news conference, pointing at Woods in the back of the room and saying, "No three-peat for that man!"

And then finally, there was Woods, the last man with a shot at eventual winner David Frost, double-bogeying both No. 9 and No. 17 to finish tied for fourth, three strokes back.

Not a good week for Tiger, and he hasn't been back since.

If indeed he left with a bad taste in his mouth, that's too bad. Another trip to Angelo's, or Del Frisco's, or Joe T.'s could change that, I'm sure.

He doesn't have to ever play Colonial again. That is, as he flippantly said Sunday after the Nelson, "the beauty of being an independent contractor."

There are those who have suggested that Colonial should just forget about him and give up issuing him an invitation each year. I disagree.

The Colonial tournament committee is dedicated to providing the best golf tournament it can have for its fans and its sponsors.

That's why a member of the committee stood waiting for Tiger at the driving range at the Nelson last week as Woods spent several minutes disparaging the Fort Worth course to a few reporters.

"We just want to find out what it is we did wrong so we can fix it," the committee member said.

He didn't get an answer from Tiger. He got a whole 45 seconds of his time.

Obviously, whatever's bothering Tiger about Colonial remains a serious problem.

He's not here today, but that doesn't mean he's not on our minds. We'll miss him, but somehow we'll get along without him, just like we did Jack Nicklaus all those years when he didn't come.

BajaOklahoma
6/2/2004, 09:16 PM
My F-I-L has a few clubs on the wall in their gameroom - beautiful woods. They must have belonged to his F-I-L because that is the only reason that I can think they might still be there. My F-I-L is a joy to play golf with - loses his clubs, blames others for his bad shots, throws clubs.... I was shocked.

Mr Baja is nice to play golf with - he is there for fun and doesn't care that I carry a handicap of 500 (well, close anyway) and he tries to help me, not be critical. His grandma had to stop playing at 92 - after her surgery on her carotid artery. She played once a week until then.

I liked playing in Albuquerque - it was good for my long game.
<Snicker> Like I have one! <Snicker>

Jason White's Third Knee
6/3/2004, 07:32 AM
My sister went to highschool with Nancy Lopez. In our cafeteria there is a sign that says Nancy Lopez ate here. Nancy was so good that she played on the boys' team (there was no girls' team) and they won 2 state titles. She has said in interviews that some of the courses in town didn't want here there because she was hispanic. My thought is that maybe those old men that played everyday didn't want to have their asses handed to them by a teenaged girl.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/3/2004, 07:57 PM
Well, I am heading to a family reunion in Norman! My dad is having a little problems with his heart and won't be able to make it which completely sucks, because hhhe never gets to ssee his grandaughter and he is totally in love with her.

Anyway, keep the faith. I'll say hello, if I can.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/3/2004, 07:58 PM
Hey,. that was my 1450 post! That's gotta be good for something.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/3/2004, 07:59 PM
Jury award in Ford Explorer rollover crash tops 350 million dollars!

Jesus. I don't know the details, but cars will crash from time to time. Youch.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/3/2004, 08:02 PM
Claim: Walt http://www.snopes.com/disney/graphics/frozen.jpg Disney arranged to have himself frozen in cryonic chamber full of liquid nitrogen upon his death, and he now awaits the day when medical technology makes his re-animation possible.

Status: False. Origins: When the "frozen Disney" rumor was started, and by whom, is unknown. The privacy Disney maintained concerning his personal life extended to his death, and the lack of details available about his funeral and burial arrangements -- combined with his reputation as a technological innovator -- has helped foster the story of Disney's cryonic suspension ever since.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/3/2004, 08:04 PM
Claim: The letters S-E-X are formed by a swirling cloud of dust in The Lion King.

Status: Undetermined. Origins: About halfway to three-fourths of the http://www.snopes.com/disney/graphics/lionani.gif way through the film, Simba, Pumbaa, and Timon are lying on their backs, looking up at the stars. Simba arises, walks over to the edge of a cliff, and flops to the ground, throwing up a cloud of dust. Eddies of dust form and dissipate in the roiling cloud, and at one point the various curves and angles in these eddies appear to form the letters S-E-X. It takes a bit of persistence to see specific letters in the shapes formed by the swirling dust clouds, even when the video is played in slow motion.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/3/2004, 08:06 PM
Claim: The photographic image of a topless woman can be spotted in the background of The Rescuers.

Origins: On 8 January 1999, Disney announced a recall of the the home video version of their 1977 animated feature The Rescuers because it contained an "objectionable background image." Approximately 38 minutes into the film, as rodent heroes Bianca and Bernard fly through the city in a sardine box strapped to the back of Orville, proprietor of Albatross Air Charter Service, the photographic image of a topless woman can be seen at the window of a building in the background in two different (non-consecutive) frames: first in the bottom left corner, then at the top center portion of the frame. (Click on each image below to view an enlargement of the frame.)

http://www.snopes.com/disney/graphics/resc2.jpg (http://www.snopes.com/disney/info/rescue1.htm)

Jason White's Third Knee
6/3/2004, 08:10 PM
Claim: During the filming of the 1958 Disney nature documentary White Wilderness, the film crew induced lemmings into jumping off a cliff and into the sea in order to document their supposedly suicidal behavior.

Origins: Lemming suicide is fiction. Contrary to popular belief, lemmings do not periodically hurl themselves off of cliffs and into the sea. Cyclical explosions in population do occasionally induce lemmings to attempt to migrate to areas of lesser population density. When such a migration occurs, some lemmings die by falling over cliffs or drowning in lakes or rivers. These deaths are not deliberate "suicide" attempts, however, but accidental deaths resulting from the lemmings' venturing into unfamiliar territories and being crowded and pushed over dangerous ledges. In fact, when the competition for food, space, or mates becomes too intense, lemmings are much more likely to kill each other than to kill themselves. http://www.snopes.com/disney/graphics/lemming.gif Disney's White Wilderness was filmed in Alberta, Canada, which is not a native habitat for lemmings and has no outlet to the sea. Lemmings were imported for use in the film, purchased from Inuit children by the filmmakers. The Arctic rodents were placed on a snow-covered turntable and filmed from various angles to produce a "migration" sequence; afterwards, the helpless creatures were transported to a cliff overlooking a river and herded into the water. White Wilderness does not depict an actual lemming migration — at no time are more than a few dozen lemmings ever shown on the screen at once. The entire sequence was faked using a handful of lemmings deceptively photographed to create the illusion of a large herd of migrating creatures.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/3/2004, 08:11 PM
Mr. Yukk. Sooooo cool.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/3/2004, 08:12 PM
Claim: Austria is home to a town called '****ing.'

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2000]

Tourists are causing a lot of anxiety — and are costing money — to a tiny village where signs keep disappearing. What do the signs read? "Welcome to ****ing, Austria." Pronounced "fooking," the little hamlet of ****ing is named after the man who founded the village in the 6th century. His name? Focko. The town sign has been stolen seven times in the last few months. With signs costing several hundred dollars apiece, much of the tiny town’s budget is being spent replacing the signs, says Siegfried Hoeppel, the Mayor of ****ing. He went on to express his hope that further thefts will be avoided through the use of increased concrete and . . . bigger screws.

Origins: We don't know how severe the stolen sign problem there really is, but Austria is indeed home to a town called '****ing' (48' 03"N 13' 51"E). Here are a few photos of the reportedly hard-to-keep signs:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/small/austria1_small.jpg (http://www.snopes.com/photos/photos/austria.jpg)

(Click images to enlarge)

http://www.snopes.com/photos/small/austria2_small.jpg (http://www.snopes.com/photos/photos/austria2.jpg)
The second sign carries the hilarity even further: "Bitte — nicht so schnell!" is German for "Please — not so fast!" (Apparently that sign is a commonplace reminder to keep automotive speeds down to protect children, but the juxtaposition in this case is particularly delicious.)

Jason White's Third Knee
6/3/2004, 08:13 PM
Claim: A farmer carved a map of the USA in his cornfield.

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2002]

Here's an aerial picture of a cornfield in Lawrenceburg, TN. The owner allegedly drew the picture out on his computer, then downloaded it to his GPS system, and then followed the GPS on his Bushhog (a big-league mowing device).

http://www.snopes.com/photos/small/cornmaze_small.jpg

Jason White's Third Knee
6/3/2004, 08:15 PM
Claim: Woman is smuggled into the USA hidden in a car's dashboard.

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2003]

ALIEN SMUGGLING
135-lb. woman hidden behind the dashboard of a car

A U.S. Customs Primary Inspector at a border crossing asked the driver of this Suburban for vehicle registration. Suddenly, a hand came out of the glove compartment, producing the requested document, which the driver showed the inspector.

Since the driver did not appear to be a member of the Addams Family, the inspector became suspicious, thus leading to a full search.

Just think, if alien smugglers can put a 135-lb. body behind the dashboard, imagine what they could do with dope.

Tuesday, July 31, 2001

http://www.snopes.com/photos/small/dashboard1_small.jpg
http://www.snopes.com/photos/small/dashboard2_small.jpg
http://www.snopes.com/photos/small/dashboard3_small.jpg

Jason White's Third Knee
6/3/2004, 08:16 PM
Claim: A 740' x 390' floral flag was constucted from larkspur.

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2002]

http://www.snopes.com/photos/small/floralflag1_small.jpg

The 2002 floral flag is 740 feet wide and 390 feet high and maintains the proper flag dimensions as described in executive order #10834. This flag is 6.65 acres and is the first floral flag to be planted with 5 pointed stars, each star is 24 feet in diameter; each stripe is 30 feet wide. This flag is estimated to contain more than 400,000 Larkspur plants with 4-5 flower stems each for a total of more than 2 million flowers.

Aerial photo courtesy of Bill Morson

Jason White's Third Knee
6/3/2004, 08:18 PM
Claim: Man loads down his small car with hundreds of pounds of lumber and other building supplies.

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2000]

The stupidity of some people in this world never fails to amaze me. This attached picture is real -- not doctored in any way -- and was taken last week in Waldorf, MD by a Transportation Supervisor for a company that delivers building materials for 84 Lumber. When he saw it there in the parking lot of IHOP, he went and bought a camera to take pictures. The car is still running as can be witnessed by the exhaust.

A woman is either asleep or otherwise out in the front seat passenger side. The guy driving it was over jogging up and down on Rt. 925 in the background. The witnesses said their physical state was OTHER than normal and the police just shook their heads in amazement. The driver finally came back after the police were there and was getting down at the back to cut the twine around the load. They told him to get back until it was taken off.

The materials were loaded at Home Depot. The Home Depot store manager made the customer sign a waiver before loading. Both back tires are trashed. The back shocks were driven up through the floorboard. On the roof are many 2X4s, 4X4s and OSL sheets of lumber. The load isn't all that meets the eye either. In the back seat were ten 80-pound bags of concrete! They estimated the load weight at 3000 lbs. The car is a VW Jetta with FL plates and the guy said he was headed for Annapolis!

http://www.snopes.com/photos/graphics/lumber.jpg

Jason White's Third Knee
6/3/2004, 08:18 PM
#1500?

Jason White's Third Knee
6/3/2004, 08:19 PM
Click on Mr. Yukk for the pictures. Pretty cool stuff. I love Snopes.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/3/2004, 08:20 PM
Top of page 51 too. Dang. I am rockin' out.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/3/2004, 08:24 PM
Oh, yeah. My dad is actually getting out of the hhhospital. He had a super fast heart beat, as fast as 155 bpm. They finally gave him a shock and got it between 60-70. He says he feels great. Too bad he can't make it to the reunion. It's his side of the family! If it hadn't been a holiday last weekend, I think that all of this stuff would have been done sooner. Peace out.....