PDA

View Full Version : Can only replace a Dell DVD drive with another Dell drive?

OUDoc
7/28/2007, 09:13 PM
So the computer guy at Best Buy tells me. I've never heard this before. Anyone else heard this? (My DVD burner crapped out on my 1 1/2 year old Dell already. :mad:)

Jerk
7/28/2007, 09:31 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if all their sh*t was....hang on...big word.....'proprietary'

OUDoc
7/28/2007, 09:34 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if all their sh*t was....hang on...big word.....'proprietary'
That's the big word Best Buy guy used. I've never heard that though (about Dell, I've heard the word before :)).

bluedogok
7/28/2007, 09:34 PM
In a laptop maybe, but I haven't had to replace one of those. In a desktop, I have replaced them with regular drives. They do use a different type of drive rail attachment so you might have to pull that off the old drive.

Remember, most Best Buy guys are idiots and I wouldn't trust them with a toaster.

OUDoc
7/28/2007, 09:36 PM
Remember, most Best Buy guys are idiots and I wouldn't trust them with a toaster.
Yeah. He wasn't sure. I appreciate him giving me the heads-up and costing the company a sale, if he's right. I just want to know if he's really right.

bluedogok
7/28/2007, 09:43 PM
Dell's are not as proprietary as the older Compaq's were before H-P bought them. Their motherboards are definitely proprietary but they just typically buy the cheapest parts they can like anyone else. In fact there is a store here that deals in a bunch of used computers and and lot buyouts from Dell, I have bought a few of the "Dell" CD/DVD drives and they are Sony, Toshiba, LG, etc. drives and have worked fine in my non-Dells that I build. We have Dells at work and I swapped a non-Dell drive into one with no problems.

yermom
7/29/2007, 12:28 AM
i've used non-Dell burners and hard drives in Dell desktops for years, RAM too

they may have been proprietary back in the day, but not now

laptops are probably only different with the optical drives

King Crimson
7/29/2007, 12:33 AM
yeah, i have a Western Digital drive in my Dell machine. 250 g.

King Crimson
7/29/2007, 12:35 AM
and: my "Dell" DVD drive is made by Samsung.

Cam
7/29/2007, 06:29 PM
So the computer guy at Best Buy tells me. I've never heard this before. Anyone else heard this?
Complete BS

(My DVD burner crapped out on my 1 1/2 year old Dell already. :mad:)
It's hardware, it happens.

OUDoc
7/29/2007, 09:42 PM
I bought one. It works fine. Don't know what he was thinking.

yermom
7/29/2007, 09:48 PM
probably propaganda to get you to buy whatever junk they are peddling at Busy Buy ;)