PDA

View Full Version : The Flaming Lips for dummies

Paperclip
7/28/2007, 08:30 PM
To my knowledge, I've never heard a Flaming Lips song. I feel like I should since they have roots in OKC and apparently have quite the following. I would be happy to entertain suggestions about how someone as un-Lips-educated as I am should get started.
TIA

OU Adonis
7/28/2007, 08:36 PM
I was thinking this was a question for OU doc. My bad

bluedogok
7/28/2007, 10:10 PM
Go here (http://www.sonicx.com/Flaming_Lips/) and click on She Don't Use Jelly.

SoonerStud615
7/29/2007, 12:35 AM
I'd start by listening to the CD's Soft Bulletin, and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. They're classics.

King Crimson
7/29/2007, 12:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_qJlxrQp8A

i saw the Flaming Lips for the first time in 1985. personally, i think bag full of thoughts is the place to start. it's almost impossible to state how much or how improbable the Lips success could and does mean to an old school indie guy. i don't even like the new stuff that much, but hell ****in yeah. Priest was the record that shifted all the gears. a masterpiece of insanity. some great Floyd moments on o my gawd. i think also hear it is is massively underrated. even though my sister stole it, i have the original Lips EP.

GottaHavePride
7/29/2007, 01:11 AM
I've heard some of the Flaming Lips stuff. I don't get what the big deal is. The sound totally does not interest me.

Okla-homey
7/29/2007, 09:09 AM
I've heard some of the Flaming Lips stuff. I don't get what the big deal is. The sound totally does not interest me.

Rather like opera and classical orchestral music to the vast majority of modern Americans?;)

OUAndy1807
7/29/2007, 09:21 AM
I don't know about this video, but this is my favorite lips song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAOL6iXZWRU

Hatfield
7/29/2007, 10:59 AM
i agree that soft bulletin and yoshimi is a great jumping on point.

definitely a band you must see live.

i actually have a dvd of zaireeka. someone remastered it into 5.1 surround and set it to various movie clips.

it is the definition of the awesome.

GottaHavePride
7/29/2007, 03:34 PM
Rather like opera and classical orchestral music to the vast majority of modern Americans?;)

Probably, although much of that is from havin it presented in the wrong way. What I mean, though, is that I enjoy a lot of music from opera to rock, to funk to some hip-hop, but for me, the Lips fall into a category of bands that includes other groups like Radiohead, Pink Floyd, and Bob Dylan that I label "wildly overrated and full of suck and monotony".

Chuck Bao
7/29/2007, 03:53 PM
Okay, first of all I left the US in the mid-80s. So, I'm musically stunted anyway.

Second thing is that youtube is still banned in Thailand.

I did a search and the only thing I have is the fifth season of Charmed and the Flaming Lips were the guest band and Phoebe (Alyssa Milano - total yum) says that they're her favorite band.

I like that "Do you realize?" and the "She don't use Jelly" link. Any other non-youtube links would be appreciated.

setem
7/29/2007, 04:05 PM
She Don't Use Jelly
Race For The Prize
Yeah Yeah Yeah Song
Yoshimi
Do You Realize

Do it...Do it!

Okla-homey
7/29/2007, 04:30 PM
Don't forget the "Okie Noodling" soundtrack.