PDA

View Full Version : Someone want to do this?

garland sooner
7/28/2007, 08:25 PM
Okay, so my friend got this email which she forwarded to me. She thought I'd like to do something like this but I don't. I was wondering if any of y'all might be interested. I almost deleted the email but since this is the best place to find what this guy wants... I thought I'd just pass the word along.

I'm starting a college football website with a friend of mine and I need a die-hard Sooner fan to write for my website and represent OU. Below is a lengthy, but necessarily thorough description of what my website is all about. Can you forward the information to someone who knows the sport of football pretty well and OU football even better? It could be yourself or anyone who knows the players, the coaches, the traditions, the campus, the lineage, the history, famous alums, etc - stuff like that. Hope you can help point a stranger in the right direction.

-Jeff Monahan

fansknowbest.com (under construction) is a new sports information website that will feature an unprecedented amount of knowledge coming solely from the fan perspective. My inspiration came from watching TV analysts talk like they know Michigan football better than I do. I have watched every play of every game of every season for fifteen years and they're the ones on TV telling everyone about Michigan. That doesn't make sense to me. The analysts know more about the game of football, but I believe the fans know more about the teams playing in the football game, and that's the information sports fans need. It's a problem of guessing vs. deducing. My theory is that if I can get two opposing, really knowledgeable, die-hard fans to come together and be realistic and honest about the upcoming Saturday, then we can offer more credible, more accurate, and more valuable sports information.

The website will feature much more than predictions and analysis and I need someone from your school to give us the scoop. When I get home from my 12:05 kickoff and turn on the tube, I want to know what's going on behind what the announcers tell me. What's the buzz on campus? Is your coach on the hot seat? Is there a quarterback controversy? Should there be a quarterback controversy? Who's going to win? Will they cover the spread? What are the cool campus traditions I've never heard of? What do you make fun of your rivals for? What drinking games do you play? What's the hot spot on campus I should hit up if I'm roadtripping to the game? There's a lot more going on behind the scenes when I'm watching the game with my buddies, and I like being the guy who knows little tidbits and facts about what's going on. fansknowbest.com will be the first website to universally capture the intangible knowledge that long-time fans have about their teams. Like bodybuilders take supplements to enhance their physique, sports fans will visit fansknowbest.com to enhance their knowledge.

The requirements will be minimal. I just graduated from Michigan, so the difficulty of keeping my college schedule straight is still very fresh in my mind. We will need a weekly report on your team that will help answer some of the questions above and paint the picture for sports fans everywhere. I want to keep these reports short for two reasons: 1) to keep it easy on our writers, 2) so our viewers don't have to sift through information to get what they want. Other than that, we'll probably do a Top 25 poll, hopefully some audio interviews, and you'll have the option of writing a blog-like opinion column if you have the time, but that's about it. The weekly reports will probably be about the length of this e-mail and I hope you don't have to spend more than an hour per week on us. I really want to keep it that simple.

In terms of compensation, we don't have much to offer because we're just starting, but I rest assured that I will help shape your future. I've been through the struggle of a post-college job search and it would make me pretty happy to be a strong reference on someone's resume. Write for us, and I'll try to help you get whatever job you want, but that's all we have to give at the moment. Ten years down the road I'd like to pay for everyone's season tickets or bowl trip or something, but all we can provide now is a reference, some fun work to take your mind off school, and the ability to say you were there when it started. Hopefully this serves as some motivation to you, but if not, we'd really appreciate it if you could help us find someone who would be interested. It's not easy to create this network of fans, so any e-mail forwarding, facebooking, or contact info would be really appreciated. Let me know what you think, and thanks for making it through the long e-mail.
-Jeff Monahan

olevetonahill
7/28/2007, 08:29 PM
Nope

Sooner24
7/28/2007, 11:54 PM
Nope

Quote:
I'm starting a college football website with a friend of mine and I need a die-hard Sooner fan to write for my website and represent OU. Below is a lengthy, but necessarily thorough description of what my website is all about. Can you forward the information to someone who knows the sport of football pretty well and OU football even better? It could be yourself or anyone who knows the players, the coaches, the traditions, the campus, the lineage, the history, famous alums, etc - stuff like that. Hope you can help point a stranger in the right direction.

-Jeff Monahan

fansknowbest.com (under construction) is a new sports information website that will feature an unprecedented amount of knowledge coming solely from the fan perspective. My inspiration came from watching TV analysts talk like they know Michigan football better than I do. I have watched every play of every game of every season for fifteen years and they're the ones on TV telling everyone about Michigan. That doesn't make sense to me. The analysts know more about the game of football, but I believe the fans know more about the teams playing in the football game, and that's the information sports fans need. It's a problem of guessing vs. deducing. My theory is that if I can get two opposing, really knowledgeable, die-hard fans to come together and be realistic and honest about the upcoming Saturday, then we can offer more credible, more accurate, and more valuable sports information.

The website will feature much more than predictions and analysis and I need someone from your school to give us the scoop. When I get home from my 12:05 kickoff and turn on the tube, I want to know what's going on behind what the announcers tell me. What's the buzz on campus? Is your coach on the hot seat? Is there a quarterback controversy? Should there be a quarterback controversy? Who's going to win? Will they cover the spread? What are the cool campus traditions I've never heard of? What do you make fun of your rivals for? What drinking games do you play? What's the hot spot on campus I should hit up if I'm roadtripping to the game? There's a lot more going on behind the scenes when I'm watching the game with my buddies, and I like being the guy who knows little tidbits and facts about what's going on. fansknowbest.com will be the first website to universally capture the intangible knowledge that long-time fans have about their teams. Like bodybuilders take supplements to enhance their physique, sports fans will visit fansknowbest.com to enhance their knowledge.

The requirements will be minimal. I just graduated from Michigan, so the difficulty of keeping my college schedule straight is still very fresh in my mind. We will need a weekly report on your team that will help answer some of the questions above and paint the picture for sports fans everywhere. I want to keep these reports short for two reasons: 1) to keep it easy on our writers, 2) so our viewers don't have to sift through information to get what they want. Other than that, we'll probably do a Top 25 poll, hopefully some audio interviews, and you'll have the option of writing a blog-like opinion column if you have the time, but that's about it. The weekly reports will probably be about the length of this e-mail and I hope you don't have to spend more than an hour per week on us. I really want to keep it that simple.

In terms of compensation, we don't have much to offer because we're just starting, but I rest assured that I will help shape your future. I've been through the struggle of a post-college job search and it would make me pretty happy to be a strong reference on someone's resume. Write for us, and I'll try to help you get whatever job you want, but that's all we have to give at the moment. Ten years down the road I'd like to pay for everyone's season tickets or bowl trip or something, but all we can provide now is a reference, some fun work to take your mind off school, and ALL THE NATTY YOU CAN DRINK. Hopefully this serves as some motivation to you, but if not, we'd really appreciate it if you could help us find someone who would be interested. It's not easy to create this network of fans, so any e-mail forwarding, facebooking, or contact info would be really appreciated. Let me know what you think, and thanks for making it through the long e-mail.
-Jeff Monahan

You must have missed this. ;)

olevetonahill
7/29/2007, 12:12 AM
Quote:

-Jeff Monahan

In terms of compensation, we don't have much to offer because we're just starting, but I rest assured that I will help shape your future. I've been through the struggle of a post-college job search and it would make me pretty happy to be a strong reference on someone's resume. Write for us, and I'll try to help you get whatever job you want, but that's all we have to give at the moment. Ten years down the road I'd like to pay for everyone's season tickets or bowl trip or something, but all we can provide now is a reference, some fun work to take your mind off school, and ALL THE NATTY YOU CAN DRINK. Hopefully this serves as some motivation to you, but if not, we'd really appreciate it if you could help us find someone who would be interested. It's not easy to create this network of fans, so any e-mail forwarding, facebooking, or contact info would be really appreciated. Let me know what you think, and thanks for making it through the long e-mail.
-Jeff Monahan

You must have missed this. ;)
Oh hell IN :D