PDA

View Full Version : English Premier Fantasy League !

TUSooner
7/28/2007, 07:49 PM
Scott D suggested it, and I plan to have one up and running as soon as I get a NAME for our league. It seems idiot proof, and I will test that supposition. The floor is OPEN for nominations. (Inanity is anticipated.)

It's a MUST for the discerning supporter of top-class Association Football, and it makes it more fun to follow the EPL.
Will Tevez be a bust?
Has Lampard had it?
How about the Portmouth "D"?

FREE
Really Easy.
Really Fun.
FREE (Though civilized agreements between the ladies and gents are not ruled out.)

The season starts in 2 weeks.

PEEM me (or Scott D) if you are interested in joining.
DOOOOO IT !

TUSooner
7/28/2007, 10:08 PM
LINKS:

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/
http://fantasy.premierleague.com/M/help.mc?category=rules

birddog
7/29/2007, 12:25 AM
in.

birddog
7/29/2007, 12:49 AM
http://fantasy.premierleague.com/M/myleagues.mc

here's the link to set up a private league. tu, i'll let you tcb.

TUSooner
7/29/2007, 09:23 AM
OK. The League is simply "Sooner Fans"
I'm PMing some of you who have expressed interest, but if you don't get a PM from me Sunday, PM me and I'll give you what you need to know to join the league.
rah rah rah

BillyBall
7/29/2007, 09:31 AM
In

TUSooner
7/29/2007, 08:08 PM
bump

Beef
7/30/2007, 10:29 AM
Can I do this without knowing crap about Premier League? Or is this something that will be fun bc it's new to me and I'll be bored and do nothing after 2 weeks?

TUSooner
7/30/2007, 12:24 PM
Can I do this without knowing crap about Premier League? Or is this something that will be fun bc it's new to me and I'll be bored and do nothing after 2 weeks?

Eventually one would have to learn SOMEthing about the EPL.
I predict a rapid descent into apathy in your case. :D

critical_phil
7/30/2007, 02:27 PM
OK. The League is simply "Sooner Fans"
I'm PMing some of you who have expressed interest, but if you don't get a PM from me Sunday, PM me and I'll give you what you need to know to join the league.
rah rah rah

i need detals.

tia.

Beef
7/30/2007, 02:58 PM
Eventually one would have to learn SOMEthing about the EPL.
I predict a rapid descent into apathy in your case. :D
Do they have fantasy magazines for this crap? Or do I just draft the most Brazilian sounding dudes?

Scott D
7/30/2007, 03:53 PM
Do they have fantasy magazines for this crap? Or do I just draft the most Brazilian sounding dudes?

that might be hard since anyone who isn't from an EU nation needs a specialized work permit to play in the EPL. :)

TUSooner
7/30/2007, 10:08 PM

You play 11 players each week, and they get (or lose) points based on minutes played, goals, assists, goals allowed (except forwards), saves, yellow cards, etc. You chose a captain each week who gets double points. It might be simpler than NFL fantasy, I dunno.
You basically just check the players who are hot (and affordable) and maybe see if any your forwards are playing against a team with a weak D so they can maybe rack up some goals.
The best places to get information like that is from the EPL site, ESPNSoccernet, Foxsoccerdotsomething, SkySPorts, or my fave - the Beeb,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/default.stm

I find you sometimes have to look hard to get injury reports. As far as I can tell, it's not like the NFL where they have to classify all their players as "doubtful" "probable" etc.
I played it last year for the first time and enjoyed keeping up.

Other than that, yes, draft South Americans :D

critical_phil
7/30/2007, 10:29 PM
Hibernian FC in the hizzouse, bitches.....

JohnnyMack
7/31/2007, 10:37 AM
Soonah's Thumpers. All your goals are belong to me.

birddog
8/1/2007, 06:55 PM
who do you sob's have as your premiere points getter?

i've got drogba.

Scott D
8/1/2007, 08:45 PM
phear fernando torres.

er I mean diveiano ronadiver.

TUSooner
8/2/2007, 08:26 AM
who do you sob's have as your premiere points getter?

i've got drogba.
Cristiano Ronaldo.
At least he cleaned up last season. And I think Lampard was #2.
Whoever it is will liikely be a midfielder

birddog
8/2/2007, 08:34 AM
my midfield looks pretty decent. reo-coker, huddlestone, tugay, and ronaldo.

not too shabby. i also think defoe will have a big year up front for tottenham.

birddog
8/2/2007, 08:39 AM
and tu, are you saying you can transfer players in and out all season as long as you stay under the cap? i haven't done this in a few years.

TUSooner
8/2/2007, 12:07 PM
and tu, are you saying you can transfer players in and out all season as long as you stay under the cap? i haven't done this in a few years.
DISCLAIMER: Check the official rules to be sure...
http://fantasy.premierleague.com/M/help.mc?category=rules

Up until the first gameweek deadline (just before the first game) you get unlimited transfers. When the season starts, you get 1 free transfer per gameweek; extras cost 4 points each.

ONE TIME in the (long) season you get to designate a "wildcard" gameweek where you can make unlimited free transfers during that gameweek. So if you want to retool your whole lineup, you can...once.
I probably made more transfers that I should have last season, but it worked out OK.

TUSooner
8/2/2007, 12:12 PM
my midfield looks pretty decent. reo-coker, huddlestone, tugay, and ronaldo.

not too shabby. i also think defoe will have a big year up front for tottenham.
One interesting thing, you get to see your opponents' line-ups for the previous week, but you don't see who they are putting out there in the current week until after the deadline passes and the games have started.

Sooner4FCD
8/3/2007, 02:10 PM
I'm a newbie around here, but a huge EPL fan. I'm in.

Hey birddog, I noticed that you have Craven Cottage as your location. I spent the last semester away from OU studying abroad in London and went to a few Fulham games(I was there when Dempsey scored the winner against Liverpool) :D

birddog
8/3/2007, 07:54 PM
that's cool. i grew up going to fulham matches. they were still fun to watch when they were scrubs. seeing a prem game live is second only to ou football.

birddog
8/3/2007, 07:55 PM
thanks tu. i remember it being a bit confusing and you have confirmed that.

LET'S GET IT ON!!

birddog
8/5/2007, 09:26 AM
chelsea and man u. on fox soccer channel right now.

JohnnyMack
8/5/2007, 10:13 AM
chelsea and man u. on fox soccer channel right now.

I won't have access to the Fox Soccer Channel for another 4 or 5 weeks. I'm gonna need updates.

plzkthx.

Scott D
8/5/2007, 10:28 AM
sometimes I want to slap sky sports for their graphics....I just turned it on, and I think the score is 1-1, but I can't be too sure.

birddog
8/5/2007, 06:55 PM
went to a shootout. van der sar stopped 3 pk's and man u won.

now that the community shield is out of the way, we can focus on the real deal starting next weekend.

Cam
8/5/2007, 07:06 PM
DVR only got the first 2 PK's. Pretty boring match for the most part.

Scott, the score line sucked ***. Why in the world would somebody think making the actual scores transparent would look cool is beyond me.

TUSooner
8/9/2007, 01:31 PM
YO! Remember the deadline for making free transfers and setting your line-up for Week 1 is 1130 AM BRITISH time, on Aug 11. I think they are 6 hours ahead of us, so that makes the deadline 0530 Saturday, Central Daylight Time.

critical_phil
8/9/2007, 01:47 PM
yeah, about this..........can somebody tell me who i should draft?

birddog
8/9/2007, 02:28 PM
sure. give me a few.

Scott D
8/9/2007, 02:30 PM
hmm
just for cp

Leroy Lita of Reading, Robbie Keane of Tottenham

birddog
8/9/2007, 02:34 PM
you can look at how each player fared last year (as far as points).

scotty, i thought i heard somewhere that lita had a nagging injury that would keep him out for a bit. not sure if it was him though.

birddog
8/9/2007, 02:35 PM
http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/readingfc/2013/2013617/lita_could_be_out_for_a_month

says he could be out for 1 month. i'm not sure if that should be enough to rule him out.

Scott D
8/9/2007, 02:37 PM
you can look at how each player fared last year (as far as points).

scotty, i thought i heard somewhere that lita had a nagging injury that would keep him out for a bit. not sure if it was him though.

well originally I was going to name off 11 players whom were injured, including michael owen and shay given....but I decided to be nice.

Lita's got the best injury so far.

GrapevineSooner
8/9/2007, 02:52 PM
In other news, Dish Network just added Setanta Sports.

And I think I'm in heaven.

Not necessarily because of their soccer coverage, though.

No, I actually got to see my Collingwood Magpies play footy against Carlton. First Aussie Rules Football action that I've seen in nearly three years.

Scott D
8/9/2007, 02:55 PM
if Setanta is anywhere near the same on Dish as it is on DirecTV then it's going to be somewhat of a ppv channel.

GrapevineSooner
8/9/2007, 03:35 PM
I read on Satellite Guys that it'll probably be $14.99/mo after the free preview period, which ends on September 9th.

Which is right around when the AFL playoffs start.

TUSooner
8/9/2007, 03:49 PM
In other news, Dish Network just added Setanta Sports.

And I think I'm in heaven.

Not necessarily because of their soccer coverage, though.

No, I actually got to see my Collingwood Magpies play footy against Carlton. First Aussie Rules Football action that I've seen in nearly three years.
I used to watch that all the time. It's a great game. It sure beats the dog poop out of *&%$#@#$% TELEVISED POKER fer cryin out loud :rolleyes:

GrapevineSooner
8/10/2007, 10:08 AM
I love it because it combines aspects of the sport of actual football (soccer) and basketball. That is, you've got to have a strong presence around the goal at both ends in order to be successful.

It's the ultimate field possession game.

critical_phil
8/10/2007, 11:31 AM
ok, srsly. i need help.

i've looked over this whole website and i can't find pele or beckham.

birddog
8/11/2007, 06:04 PM
how'd you fellers make out today?

felipe, you STILL need help?

birddog
8/11/2007, 06:09 PM
go with defoe, rooney, ronaldo, and huddlestone.

that should get you started.

royalfan5
8/11/2007, 07:15 PM
I'm pretty happy with my results thus far.

TUSooner
8/11/2007, 07:42 PM
I'm pretty happy with my results thus far.
I'm OK with mine, too; I still have my captain and another player to go tomorrow. It's early days.

critical_phil
8/11/2007, 08:00 PM
felipe, you STILL need help?

well, i had one guy who didn't play (Halford.....who i only picked because i like Judas Priest).

secondly, i played with four defenders and only two forwards - which looks like a bonehead move. i think i've got it fixed for next week.

birddog
8/11/2007, 08:54 PM
alright, let us know if you need some ideas.

arsenal-fulham
chelsea-birmingham
man united-reading

if you have any of those guys on the bench, make sure you replace them with players that played today.

TUSooner
8/11/2007, 10:18 PM
alright, let us know if you need some ideas.

arsenal-fulham
chelsea-birmingham
man united-reading

if you have any of those guys on the bench, make sure you replace them with players that played today.
Once the gameweek deadline passes, you can't make any changes in that gameweek. But if you had some guys who did not play today, the computer will make automatic subs from your bench, provided the rules for formations won't be violated . YWIA :D

birddog
8/12/2007, 07:56 AM
that was explained much better than my version.

critical_phil
8/12/2007, 12:23 PM
o.k., i don't get it.

if i click the "latest points" link, i add up 31 points from my guys on the field; yet, out to the side, it says 17 points.

what am i missing?

Scott D
8/12/2007, 02:38 PM
how many of them played today instead of yesterday?

birddog
8/12/2007, 03:34 PM
felipe, you're on your own, man. i'm sorry, scotty or one of the yahoos around here is going to have to help you.

i've got enough problems of my own trying to manage 3 teams.:D

Scott D
8/12/2007, 03:46 PM
I'm thinking that at the time he looked at it, his roster was updated with the numbers from games today, however the overall point totals hadn't been updated to reflect it, because his team had more than 17 points when I looked at it 2 hours after that post.

birddog
8/12/2007, 03:50 PM
hmm. that makes sense. i'll have to check mine.

they're showing fulham-arsenal on fsc at 6 central.

birddog
8/12/2007, 04:05 PM
actually it's on now.

Scott D
8/12/2007, 04:23 PM
but but.....the PGA championship is on :P

Cam
8/12/2007, 06:03 PM
I haven't even looked to see how the scoring is done. Maybe I should've done that before picking my team. :(

Rooney fractured his foot again, not good. I had the same injury years ago. It hurts like hell every time you take a step.

critical_phil
8/12/2007, 07:06 PM
I'm thinking that at the time he looked at it, his roster was updated with the numbers from games today, however the overall point totals hadn't been updated to reflect it, because his team had more than 17 points when I looked at it 2 hours after that post.

o.k., now i see the updated numbers.

you guys are in trouble once i figure this thing out.

reevie
8/12/2007, 07:28 PM
41 points! I'm not out of the hunt yet.

Cam
8/12/2007, 08:09 PM
To say I'm surprised is an understatement. I don't think it's done updating as of yet though as I've got a player with no points who definitely played today.

critical_phil
8/15/2007, 11:33 AM
hey, i was in 3rd place with 41 points a couple of days ago. now i have a wee 16 points.

did i lose all the points i had when i shuffled my roster up?

TUSooner
8/15/2007, 12:31 PM
hey, i was in 3rd place with 41 points a couple of days ago. now i have a wee 16 points.

did i lose all the points i had when i shuffled my roster up?
You get 1 free ttransfer per gameweek, all others cost you 4 points each. Sounds like you went on a spending spree. Kinda like the guy at the auction who ended up bidding on an expensive POS by picking his nose. :pop: :D

critical_phil
8/15/2007, 12:41 PM
You get 1 free ttransfer per gameweek, all others cost you 4 points each. Sounds like you went on a spending spree. Kinda like the guy at the auction who ended up bidding on an expensive POS by picking his nose. :pop: :D

i wouldn't call it a spending spree - i just wanted to shake up the lineup.. the ENTIRE lineup.

i thought the "cost" involved was applied to the play money. DOH!

TUSooner
8/15/2007, 12:56 PM
i wouldn't call it a spending spree - i just wanted to shake up the lineup.. the ENTIRE lineup.

Well, it may actually work out better in the long run. I wouldn't sweat it; it's early. I made an extra move myself this week, and was tempted to spend a few more 4s.

JohnnyMack
8/15/2007, 01:11 PM

Wanker.

critical_phil
8/15/2007, 01:17 PM
i repeat: you guys are in trouble if i ever figure this thing out.

JohnnyMack
8/15/2007, 01:18 PM
:D

I almost did the same thing. Good thing I noticed it at the last second before I clicked the "Bankrupt Yourself" button.

birddog
8/15/2007, 02:00 PM
well, i'm probably the first player in the history of fantasy sports to be out of the running after week 1. damn injuries.:mad:

Cam
8/15/2007, 07:15 PM
I'm pretty screwed by injuries and suspensions, so I may have to give up the 4 points tomorrow.

I'm still trying to figure out how severe Ian Pearce's injury is. if it's not too bad I'll keep him.

reevie
8/15/2007, 07:29 PM
Sweet! First Place!

I've got to enjoy it while it lasts.

Cam
8/15/2007, 07:35 PM
Sweet! First Place!

I've got to enjoy it while it lasts.
You won't be there long with James in goal...

reevie
8/15/2007, 09:35 PM
I've got Hahnemann on the bench with a Dream Team star. James won't be in the lineup much longer.

Cam
8/17/2007, 04:29 PM
I can't even field a full team because of injuries and suspensions. Gonna have to buy another freaking player.

TUSooner
8/17/2007, 07:39 PM
I can't even field a full team because of injuries and suspensions. Gonna have to buy another freaking player.
Don't feel alone....
So far I have give away 8 points on extra - and probably rash - tranfers. :O

TUSooner
8/17/2007, 07:40 PM
You won't be there long with James in goal...
Pompey's defnse has been disappointing fer sure. Last season they were pretty reliable.

TUSooner
8/17/2007, 07:41 PM
i repeat: you guys are in trouble if i ever figure this thing out.
IOW, we're safe? :P

Cam
8/17/2007, 07:45 PM
Pompey's defnse has been disappointing fer sure. Last season they were pretty reliable.
James has some serious mental lapses. He makes some spectacular saves. Unfortunately, he doesn't save quite a few of the simple ones.

Williesan
8/17/2007, 09:06 PM
James has some serious mental lapses. He makes some spectacular saves. Unfortunately, he doesn't save quite a few of the simple ones.

Like letting the other team's goalie score one from about 70 yards out? At least "Calamity James" didn't pull that one off... but Ben Foster at Watford did it last year...

1625: GOAL Tottenham 2-0 Watford
You'll think I'm joking here but believe me, I'm not... Paul Robinson's free-kick from his own half is left by Watford defender Lloyd Doyley, bounces and then sails over Watford keeper Ben Foster's head. Unbelievable. England's number one scores against his deputy. Training should be fun this week.

I also found that he allowed 4 goals to Denmark (worst defeat to a Tier II Euro side in ages) but set a record for "clean sheets" last season. Yeah - he's hit and miss to say the least. Hannemann's probably playing the best right now even though he gave up 2 to Chelsea on Wednesday.

C. Ronaldo's out until 9/2 thanks to his antics the other day. Craptacular.

Williesan

royalfan5
8/20/2007, 10:24 AM
I'm pleasantly surprised with how I am doing so far at least in this league.

JohnnyMack
8/20/2007, 10:30 AM
I'm not in the cellar!!!!!!

GrapevineSooner
8/20/2007, 11:22 AM
I, too, am relatively surprised.

Must be beginner's luck. ;)

TUSooner
8/20/2007, 01:19 PM
So far, I have had at least one major blunder pick per week, and compounded it by wasting 4 points to purchase a player to be injured or suspended later. :rolleyes:

birddog
8/20/2007, 01:21 PM
i am 4th and 15th. i got hit early with injuries, 3 game ban etc. i'll be back. LONG way to go.

birddog
8/22/2007, 02:24 PM
looks like yakubu will be signed by everton from middlesbrough.

birddog
9/30/2007, 12:06 AM
i had a massive weekend with 75 points. i'm back in business!

Cam
9/30/2007, 12:01 PM
I'm just glad I didn't play Heneman(sp) this week.

JohnnyMack
10/2/2007, 03:15 PM
I'm not great at this.

reevie
10/8/2007, 07:50 PM
Can somebody send me a parachute to slow my dive?

Cam
10/8/2007, 08:50 PM
Why when I pick somebody up do they then tank or get injured? :(

Williesan
10/8/2007, 09:15 PM
36 points? 36 bloody points????? Too bad I can't purge my lineup except one guy at a time. Nobody got shut out point wise... but nobody hit double digits. :mad: Time to brush up on the research durng the 2 week Euro break.

Williesan

TUSooner
10/9/2007, 06:33 AM
Gee. I thought I had you all so demoralized that you had given up.

<runs away>

Cam
10/9/2007, 08:49 PM
Gee. I thought I had you all so demoralized that you had given up.

<runs away>
It's a marathon, not a sprint. Unfortunately, I'm starting to get winded. :O

TUSooner
10/16/2007, 04:36 PM
It's a marathon, not a sprint. Unfortunately, I'm starting to get winded. :O
Slow and steady. A move a week is usually enough to work your team into what you want (eventually).

I may trade down a few times to get the bucks (Pounds Sterling?) for that special player I covet.

THOU SHALT resist the tempatation to use your wildcard (unlimited free transfers for one week) until you HAVE to.

birddog
12/7/2007, 11:24 PM
welp, sad to say that the football season is over already. but it's time to refocus and channel our energy into our squads.
and i don't want to hear any nonsense about player injuries, suspensions etc.

it's time to man up and get physical!

JohnnyMack
12/7/2007, 11:57 PM
I'm 10th out of 17 teams.

Yay mediocrity!!!

I figured myself for the cellar. :D

TUSooner
12/9/2007, 10:23 AM
welp, sad to say that the football season is over already. but it's time to refocus and channel our energy into our squads.
and i don't want to hear any nonsense about player injuries, suspensions etc.

it's time to man up and get physical!

You bet! CFB is over, but the EPL is just getting to half time. Let's crank it up...But be careful about wasting your wild card week - you only get one :pop:

birddog
3/8/2008, 10:31 AM
welp, i've waited on van persie long enough. time to unload.

i'm still hovering around 500k overall.

Scott D
5/23/2008, 11:59 AM
A belated congratulations to TUSooner for winning our league. Looked like we had good participation last season, and hopefully we'll do this again next August.