PDA

View Full Version : I am going to deep fry me some shrimp

Newbomb Turk
7/28/2007, 03:42 PM
how do you like to bread or batter your shrimp?

I'm going to test three versions before I fry the whole batch:
1 - Beer battered
2 - Lightly coated with some Zatarains seasoned fish fry stuff I bought in the store.
3 - A homemade egg and flour dredging concoction.

Soonrboy
7/28/2007, 04:02 PM
use bread crumbs

King Crimson
7/28/2007, 04:04 PM
i'm not a huge fan of shrimp (the cockroaches of the sea), but i'd go with a combo of 2 and 3. i trust zatarains and you need the egg flour dredge f you are going to deep fry. my mom deep fries okra and diced potatoes with corn meal and cavender's greek seasoning. that **** is the BOMB.

and beer, hey.

Newbomb Turk
7/28/2007, 04:10 PM
I'm not a huge beer batter fan, but the wife likes that so I'll give it a try.

I think I will try 1/2 of them in some type of 2 & 3 combo.

Newbomb Turk
7/28/2007, 04:11 PM
oh, and we are also making some shrimp on the grill. It's skewered shrimp stuffed with a cream cheese/jalapeno mixture, wrapped in bacon. Talk about good.

OUAndy1807
7/28/2007, 04:21 PM
shrimp on the grill is tough for me. I never want them to be undercooked, so I always over cook them. Plus, it's way too much work if you buy them whole.

silverwheels
7/28/2007, 04:24 PM
I thought they were called "shrimps"? :confused:

;)

Okla-homey
7/28/2007, 04:26 PM
I second KC on the Zatarains. If you are going to fry shrimp (which is kinda gauche quite frankly) at least go light on the coating/breading.;)

Newbomb Turk
7/28/2007, 04:27 PM
shrimp on the grill is tough for me. I never want them to be undercooked, so I always over cook them.

make them a few times and you get the feel for when they are done.

Newbomb Turk
7/28/2007, 04:28 PM
I second KC on the Zatarains. If you are going to fry shrimp (which is kinda gauche quite frankly) at least go light on the coating/breading.;)

oh I agree - which is why I don't like beer battered anything - it gets too heavy.

Rogue
7/28/2007, 05:17 PM
I like to skewer 'em, dust 'em with lemon-pepper and grill 'em.

I like a light tempura batter myself, but a breading that is different and good with big-uns is crushed up corn flakes. Yes, seriously. Butterfly 'em and smash 'em into flour, egg wash, and then corn flakes. Mmmm mmmmm.

Newbomb Turk
7/28/2007, 06:01 PM
flour, egg, Zatarains pwns beer battered.

hot oil dripping from my deep fryer pwns my hand.

SoonerInFla
7/28/2007, 08:53 PM
1. Mix up a couple eggs with water, garlic powder, pepper and add a little flower.
2. Drop the shrimp in the mixture.
3. Drain mixture off shrimp. Just want em coated.
4. Roll shrimp around in Cracker Meal.
5. Fry em.

Cocktail Sauce

Get a bowl of Heinz Ketchup.
Add 3-5 Tbs. horseradish.
Stir it up

Newbomb Turk
7/28/2007, 08:58 PM
thanks but you're a little late.

you forgot the part about keeping your hand out of the oil.

;)

SoonerInFla
7/28/2007, 09:25 PM
P.S. Don't put your hand in the oil.

I've allways used corn meal on fish and cracker meal on shellfish. Oysters, crabs shrimp etc. Try it sometime.