PDA

View Full Version : Web design

XingTheRubicon
7/28/2007, 03:10 PM
My younger brother for some reason asked me to help him design a website that he needs.

I helped a cousin of mine design a Yahoo do-it-yourself website.....yeah, it looked like a**.

Any advice or smart a** remarks concerning designing an upscale website?

TIA

Howzit
7/28/2007, 05:15 PM
Just shoot Beans a peem. He'll do it.

85Sooner
7/28/2007, 06:51 PM
mine ran in excess of 10k but it is professional.

GottaHavePride
7/28/2007, 07:38 PM
Dreamweaver has templates built in.

XingTheRubicon
7/28/2007, 07:50 PM
mine ran in excess of 10k but it is professional.

I've heard that, too. 10K seems like a ton but if it's worth it, it's worth it.

GrapevineSooner
7/28/2007, 10:44 PM
What purpose shall the site serve?

SoonerKnight
7/29/2007, 01:45 AM
Grab some templates (FREE) off the web and use a decent program to tweak it. If you a little knowledge of HTML and what not it's pretty quick and painless. 10K for a website? Wow I am in the wrong business!!!! :)

Sooner in Tampa
7/29/2007, 10:44 AM
DUDE...10k is way overpriced.

Dreamweaver, some templates (as mentioned above) and then do some research with google buisness solutions and you will be in the house...with your 10k still.

XingTheRubicon
7/29/2007, 01:32 PM
What purpose shall the site serve?

It is not a e-commerce/merchant site, but a information site for financial services/investments similar to a brokerage site.

XingTheRubicon
7/29/2007, 01:35 PM
If any of you guys want to do this, he will pay you. He basically has some sites picked out that he likes, and all he wants is to mirror them with his info, obviously.

PM me if you know how do to this and are interested. I don't know how and it just p*sses me off the more I try to figure it out.

85Sooner
7/29/2007, 02:08 PM
DUDE...10k is way overpriced.

Dreamweaver, some templates (as mentioned above) and then do some research with google buisness solutions and you will be in the house...with your 10k still.

Depends on what your trying to do. Actually it was not that bad. Again I am not talking about a blogging site or some type of modified myspace page.

XingTheRubicon
7/29/2007, 02:40 PM
Depends on what your trying to do. Actually it was not that bad. Again I am not talking about a blogging site or some type of modified myspace page.

I've talked to the HMFIC of a couple of different energy companies with really nice websites and both of those were less than 2K......and these are 50-100million/yr gross companies.

Chuck Bao
7/29/2007, 03:14 PM
I am being forced to agree to a new website and it's crap.

I would willingly pay 10K for a good design because it is so important. But, it isn't easy.

My department's financial web site produces about 1,200 company report articles year. We've done this for seven years already and we have more than 8,000 company report archives or 12,000 fundamental, technical, daily, monthy archives, or 24,000 in two languages - Thai and English, or 48,000 in that everything is produced in both html and pdf, as well as video files.

I'm really, really ****ed off on this new website design because they want to migrate only one month of pdf and no HTML.

The heart and soul of our research is that it is useful and our archives are far, far better than anyone's on the web. I like the fact that Google search produces our website for the top one or two search results for almost all listed companies.

Yeah! 10k is not expensive at all.

XingTheRubicon
7/31/2007, 01:47 PM
If any of you guys want to do this, he will pay you. He basically has some sites picked out that he likes, and all he wants is to mirror them with his info, obviously.

PM me if you know how do to this and are interested.

Chuck Bao
7/31/2007, 02:05 PM
Does he provide the code after it's finished.

My department's webdesigner refuses to share the code and wants a monthly fee to maintain it.

I wish I had options and could PM you Xing. I lost my temper and this battle, apparently.

SicEmBaylor
7/31/2007, 02:34 PM
We're trying to overhaul our state website along with a dozen or so chapter websites, and this weekend our state chairman told us it would cost somewhere between $3,500-$4,000 to do it.

That sounds about right to me; surely you can find someone to do it for 5k.