PDA

View Full Version : CFB Top 100 programs, OU#5

SoonerBOI
7/27/2007, 01:23 PM
We are No. 5, TExas is No. 3. WTF.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2947988

swardboy
7/27/2007, 01:52 PM
3 Texashttp://espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/ncaa/sml/trans/251.gif (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=251) 98-28 .778 1 national; 1 conf. 6-4 Vast resources and vaster tradition. Coach Mack Brown has brought back the Darrell Royal touch with the common folk, and he wins like Royal, too.

5 Oklahomahttp://espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/ncaa/sml/trans/201.gif (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=201) 95-33 .742 1 national; 4 conf. 4-4 The Sooners won one national championship and played for another. Even after vacating eight victories at the NCAA's behest, coach Bob Stoops is averaging nearly 10 wins a year.

And I thought we won one national championship and played for TWO.....And four conference championships vs. one? I want what he's smokin'.

soonerinabilene
7/27/2007, 01:55 PM
And I thought we won one national championship and played for TWO.....

heh, even espn does not know about this game of which you speak.

Soonermagik
7/27/2007, 01:57 PM
Although I think we have a all around better team, we have questions at quarterback. Colt McCoy proved to be a solid player last year and we all know that is the most important position on the field.

swardboy
7/27/2007, 01:59 PM
Although I think we have a all around better team, we have questions at quarterback. Colt McCoy proved to be a solid player last year and we all know that is the most important position on the field.

While I appreciate your opinion of the present teams, this is supposed to be about the top programs of the last decade.

virginiasooner
7/27/2007, 02:02 PM
Excuse me, but I could only say "Whua?" with the comment about #17 Oregon's top flight facilitiies. I guess ESPN forgot to check the replay booth.

Bruiser53
7/27/2007, 02:10 PM
Excuse me, but I could only say "Whua?" with the comment about #17 Oregon's top flight facilitiies. I guess ESPN forgot to check the replay booth.

Here's what's worse- http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2949650

Link to the "experts" ballots. Let me know who the hell is Bill Curry and what he bakes into his brownies. OU #22, The Nike Swooshes #8. Colorado St, that powerhouse from the Mountain West, is one spot ahead us in that ballot. WTF

boomersooner82
7/27/2007, 02:26 PM

Link to the "experts" ballots. Let me know who the hell is Bill Curry and what he bakes into his brownies. OU #22, The Nike Swooshes #8. Colorado St, that powerhouse from the Mountain West, is one spot ahead us in that ballot. WTF

Yeah that's just bizzare. I'm going to hope for his sake that he just got a little confused. His list compared to the other guys' makes him look like an idiot.

CincySooner
7/27/2007, 02:28 PM
That list is stuffed to the gills with erroneous stats.

The VaTech Win/Loss record is nowhere close.

Many teams dont have all of their conference championships listed (shared or otherwise)

I think TCU's W/L record is a little boned too.

I think they had the pizza delivery guy edit the list at lunch after a quick one-hitter with Bill Curry.

OSUAggie
7/27/2007, 02:29 PM
Bill Curry votes about like he used to coach.

Schoonerbeer
7/27/2007, 02:32 PM
Seems like I counted 11 national championships in the last decade. Isn't a decade 10 years?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

birddog
7/27/2007, 02:39 PM
bill curry has us ranked below iowa, florida state, miami, kansas state, oregon, and boston college. obviously more, but those stand out.

Tear Down This Wall
This whole thing is b.s.:

We won one championship and played for another?

Try we won one and played for two more. We've been to more bowl games than USC in the last 10 years, and have more conference titles than Texas. No way we should be behind them.

birddog
oh, and he has georgia at number 6.

The Maestro
7/27/2007, 02:44 PM
Well, at the end of the day it is just a poll. They can't take away the fact we have hoisted four conference trophies, one national championship, made the BCS title game three times, brought up a Heisman and sent two others to the ceremony, won numerous other individual awards, beat Texas 63-14 and a few years after that did it even worse, and have Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl and Rose Bowl trophies from the last decade. Let them think what they want...we did it on the field.

Now, let's strap 'em on and go do it again...in 36 freaking days!

soonerinabilene
7/27/2007, 02:47 PM
ivan maizel is the only one of those "experts" that knows what he is talking about.

sooner518
7/27/2007, 02:49 PM
Seems like I counted 11 national championships in the last decade. Isn't a decade 10 years?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
apparently theyre giving USUC credit for their "re-pete" bullcrap.

Scott D
7/27/2007, 02:58 PM
only question I have about Bill Curry for you people that actually looked at that is this. "Where did he rank Alabama?"

birddog
7/27/2007, 03:32 PM
23. he was the only person to have them ranked.

GrapevineSooner
7/27/2007, 03:57 PM
They corrected it.

So does that mean they'll have to redo the rankings? ;)

TMcGee86
7/27/2007, 04:16 PM
colorado state???

Is he serious? Why even take the time to fill it out if you are going to do that. What a jackass.

Scott D
7/27/2007, 04:19 PM
23. he was the only person to have them ranked.

is this where I can say "case closed"? :D

josh09
7/27/2007, 04:42 PM
Florida shouldnt be ranked that high, we should definately be at least 3rd too.

josh09
7/27/2007, 04:46 PM

The Duffey guy is the one i agree with the most right now

oumartin
7/28/2007, 11:23 AM
I am confused. even over the past ten years we are what 6-4 against Texas? 4 conference titles to their 3? Played in More BCS games. More N.C. games and Won equal amounts of N.C.

In fact those stats are equal to any of the above us.

Big Game Bob
7/28/2007, 03:42 PM
You all HAVE to see that your being ranked lower than UT is become of your inability to win the "big game" as of late. Seriously, perception is reality, and the perception is that since Mike Stoops left, so did the fire and heart of OU. Nobody is really intimidated to play them as they were before (except the patsies). Not to mention, OU has cheated pretty significantly as of late. Bobby is right where Mack was before his 1st BCS appearance/victory. Texas has been undefeated in BCS games, even beating the same team that DESTROYED you guys the year before.

oumartin
7/28/2007, 04:02 PM
Speaking of Destroyed, didn't you guys lose what was is. 63-14 one year and what was it. 64-13 ?
I'm not good with numbers

birddog
7/28/2007, 04:07 PM
69-13 and 63-14.

silverwheels
7/28/2007, 04:13 PM
65-13. Both games broke the record for largest margin of victory in the series.

Jewstin
7/28/2007, 05:04 PM
Texas looked grrreat in that big game Big XII championship of 2001. :D Looked grrreat during that five year stretch in the RRS.

Looked great in last year's meltdowns at Kansas State and at home against Texas A&M, too. They really got fired up for that 6-6 Iowa team last year in the "Is this one even on TV?" bowl.

I really think Vince Young should be given Texas' spot in the top 5 of the best programs of the last decade. The playcalling in those Rose Bowls was brilliant -- "call a pass play, watch Vince pull it down and scramble for twenty yards."

Seriously. I love this perception that we falter in the big games now. Aside from the really obvious player's mental breakdowns in the Big XII championship in 2003 and the Orange Bowl in '05, all I've seen are hard fought matches against solid teams. LSU in the Sugar Bowl, 21-14 ... Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl (say what you will, but a huge group of four/five year starters is going to be great at any level) ...

Bob Stoops is coming off two consecutive seasons of incredible coaching considering the circumstances and all the butt****ery we endured on bad calls. Everyone in the media knows it, and they've all acknowledged it. The reason we're not #2 behind USC is because '97 and '98, we were utterly horrendous. '99, we were average. Well, that and much of the criteria for this list is subjective horse puckey and so called ESPN experts are anything but.

Seriously. This 'Big Game Bob' troll needs to come up with something better. This **** is too easy.

oumartin
7/28/2007, 05:55 PM
people forget USC sucked until what. 2001?

goingoneight
7/28/2007, 05:59 PM
You all HAVE to see that your being ranked lower than UT is become of your inability to win the "big game" as of late. Seriously, perception is reality, and the perception is that since Mike Stoops left, so did the fire and heart of OU. Nobody is really intimidated to play them as they were before (except the patsies). Not to mention, OU has cheated pretty significantly as of late. Bobby is right where Mack was before his 1st BCS appearance/victory. Texas has been undefeated in BCS games, even beating the same team that DESTROYED you guys the year before.

Relly, and how many of those defensive starters returned in 2005? You = whorn = idiot.

Big Game Bob
7/28/2007, 09:11 PM
People vote on what is fresh on their minds. No doubt you guys had our number before the 05 season. Since your debacle, however, against USC you have had NO big wins. Seriously; you can claim a Big 12 title as your ONLY claim for the last couple of seasons. And everyone knows that you backdoored your way in ONLY because our QB got injured. Doesn't take away the fact that in 05 we destroyed you (score could have easily been 60+, but Mack called off the dogs), beat you into submission last year until your team just quit, and are now the favorites of our conference. You are 0 for 3 in your most recent BCS bowl games (not to mention losing one of those to Popcorn State University). Why does Bob Stoops eat his Cheerios on a plate? Because if they were in a bowl, he would lose them!

KantoSooner
7/28/2007, 09:17 PM
Roll on October.

Big Game Bob
7/28/2007, 09:22 PM
Texas looked grrreat in that big game Big XII championship of 2001. :D Looked grrreat during that five year stretch in the RRS.

Looked great in last year's meltdowns at Kansas State and at home against Texas A&M, too. They really got fired up for that 6-6 Iowa team last year in the "Is this one even on TV?" bowl.

I really think Vince Young should be given Texas' spot in the top 5 of the best programs of the last decade. The playcalling in those Rose Bowls was brilliant -- "call a pass play, watch Vince pull it down and scramble for twenty yards."

Seriously. I love this perception that we falter in the big games now. Aside from the really obvious player's mental breakdowns in the Big XII championship in 2003 and the Orange Bowl in '05, all I've seen are hard fought matches against solid teams. LSU in the Sugar Bowl, 21-14 ... Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl (say what you will, but a huge group of four/five year starters is going to be great at any level) ...

Bob Stoops is coming off two consecutive seasons of incredible coaching considering the circumstances and all the butt****ery we endured on bad calls. Everyone in the media knows it, and they've all acknowledged it. The reason we're not #2 behind USC is because '97 and '98, we were utterly horrendous. '99, we were average. Well, that and much of the criteria for this list is subjective horse puckey and so called ESPN experts are anything but.

Seriously. This 'Big Game Bob' troll needs to come up with something better. This **** is too easy.

Jewstin -

Last year's game against Boise State was great for the fact that you got punked yet again on national TV. To everyone outside of Oklahoma, Boise State was a joke. Thanks for giving the pip-squeaks a reason to say they belong with the big dogs when it comes to BCS games. And I like how you are having to go back to 2001 to talk smack about UT losing the championship game. I guess that you agree that the football program has accomplished nothing in the last several years aside from giving star players Lexus' to drive? Why bring up Iowa State? We won our bowl game and you lost yours you mental midget.

birddog
7/28/2007, 09:35 PM
Jewstin -

Last year's game against Boise State was great for the fact that you got punked yet again on national TV. To everyone outside of Oklahoma, Boise State was a joke. Thanks for giving the pip-squeaks a reason to say they belong with the big dogs when it comes to BCS games. And I like how you are having to go back to 2001 to talk smack about UT losing the championship game. I guess that you agree that the football program has accomplished nothing in the last several years aside from giving star players Lexus' to drive? Why bring up Iowa State? We won our bowl game and you lost yours you mental midget.

well, you had a good run. see ya.

Big Game Bob
7/28/2007, 09:46 PM
Come on Birddog.........we're having fun here, no?

Big Game Bob
7/28/2007, 09:50 PM
We need to get back to X's and O's.........the point of the thread was wondering why UT was ranked ahead of OU. I believe it has EVERYTHING to do with with recent history, fair or not. The worm has turned a bit and OU is finding themselves in a position that UT was in a few years ago......having to prove themselves. Notice how no one questions Mack's big game ability anymore? Beat Miami, and I say that's a big win for you guys. Beat us, and it will be even bigger. All I am saying is that you guys need a substantial win to get your swagger back.

Jewstin
7/28/2007, 10:12 PM
Jewstin -

I'd rather play in the big bowls and lose a close game then play in a smaller one against lesser competition.

Back to 2001? I thought the point of this thread was talking about ESPN's analysis of the last decade!? And *I'm* the mental midget ... Two years ago, Texas had nothing to show for the last five years. Two RRS losses later (one OU rebuilding year, followed by a mother****ing Big XII championship) and suddenly we're old news. Seriously, dude.

The whole Boise State thing is totally subjective. I get tired of hearing about it. On one hand, we've got backdoor rednecks (like yourself), circle-jerking about how awesome and unstoppable their conferences are, while on the other, some realize that things are not like they used to be. The smaller conferences, thanks to the information age/televised games/and modern strength & conditioning programs, have the potential to generate teams of quality similar to the best in the country. Across an entire conference, this might not be the case, but there has been at least one top-notch team from the smaller conferences every year for the last few years ... and this number will probably go up. All those players that get picked over and fall through the cracks to the small schools might just be as passionate and competitive as the next big Texas high school recruit -- probably even more so, and that is infinitely more important than a 4.3 forty and a 400 inch vertical jump.

You clearly have never played team sports. I wonder if you've ever even watched sports. The best talent NEVER equals the best team. Boise State's squad last year was a great TEAM. Say what you want about what the rest of the country thinks, but nobody ever said the masses were intelligent or knew what the **** they were talking about. Just because you and your cro magnon friends say they sucked doesn't make it true.

As for accomplishments ... (and I don't know how bold and italicized this font needs to be for your to understand) ...

2006 Big XII Football Championships:
Texas - 0
Oklahoma - 1

Was it Colt McCoy that was responsible for your defense getting passed all over by K-State? Was it Colt McCoy that let A&M option the ball down your throat? I also LOVE the whole "omg, we lost our quarterback, that's why we lost" fall-back. We lost our star quarterback at the start of the season, too, along with a lil' known guy named Adrian Peterson at the midway point. See us makin' any excuses? No. Because we have A,) the depth and B,) the coaching to handle it. Too bad Mack Brown put all his eggs in one basket. You play with the team you field.

You Longhorn tools better pray to your pasture gods that Colt McCoy doesn't go down with an injury.

Christ, I can't wait for the RRS this year. Having to endure elementary smacktalk from Neanderthals like this cretin is going to get on my nerves quickly.

Big Game Bob
7/28/2007, 10:27 PM
Jewstin -

1. You would not take a loss over a win, regardless of how good you perceived the game. You would give your left *%^ to have beaten Iowa State over lose to a team from a weak conference period. You did lose to lesser competition!!

2. I've already said perceptions change with your recent accomplishments, hence the reason Mack is perceived to be a better coach than Bob nowadays.

3. I have played in team sports, coached team sports, and watch CF religiously, which is why I and everyone outside of OK understand why Texas is ranked higher as far as recent accomplishments.

4. Congrats on your back door conference championship. We still kicked your *** again and currently own you.

5. You are completely right. Losing Colt for the last two games (he was not healthy against the Aggies, but we had no other options) had no impact on our losses.

6. Um......Bomar was never a star. He was a non-factor, and having PT was an upgrade at QB. you actually played better without AP. Look at the stats. Mack put all his eggs in one basket? Do you mean not taking a recruit at QB that would have been a waste since we all expected Vince to come back? We are now loaded again and will not have depth at QB be a factor again.

7. I can't wait either for October kiddo....."can't get here soon enough."

BASSooner
7/28/2007, 10:47 PM
Jewstin -

1. You would not take a loss over a win, regardless of how good you perceived the game. You would give your left *%^ to have beaten Iowa State over lose to a team from a weak conference period. You did lose to lesser competition!!

2. I've already said perceptions change with your recent accomplishments, hence the reason Mack is perceived to be a better coach than Bob nowadays.

3. I have played in team sports, coached team sports, and watch CF religiously, which is why I and everyone outside of OK understand why Texas is ranked higher as far as recent accomplishments.

4. Congrats on your back door conference championship. We still kicked your *** again and currently own you.

5. You are completely right. Losing Colt for the last two games (he was not healthy against the Aggies, but we had no other options) had no impact on our losses.

6. Um......Bomar was never a star. He was a non-factor, and having PT was an upgrade at QB. you actually played better without AP. Look at the stats. Mack put all his eggs in one basket? Do you mean not taking a recruit at QB that would have been a waste since we all expected Vince to come back? We are now loaded again and will not have depth at QB be a factor again.

7. I can't wait either for October kiddo....."can't get here soon enough."
You seem to be the kiddo on this thread, kiddo. You're comments on this thread have helped you earn that reputation.

Jewstin
7/28/2007, 10:51 PM
Since we're doing the numbered items thing ...

1.) I just felt I should point out that Texas played Iowa in the bowl game, not Iowa State. Good grief, man. Also, for future reference, you do not know how I feel about anything, nor what I would rather have in that situation. I wouldn't take back the intensity of watching PT lead us back from a deficit (after losing his go-to receiver), or watching AD gallop for a TD in overtime, or watching Marcus Walker pick-six to take the lead. That's because I'm a college football fan, not a statistics whore. A number and a letter in a column can't change my experience with the game.

2.) Give me some examples of where Mack is perceived to be the better coach outside of the Longhorn fanbase (or the Dallas Morning News). I think this claim is utterly flawed, especially after Stoops' coaching job last season. In fact, the only thing I EVER hear uttered about Mack Brown is how he's a "great CEO" -- not a great coach.

3.) Everyone else outside of Oklahoma understands Texas has had the better decade because of your own personal experience with sports!?! Woah, sweet. You're a pretty important dude.

4. - 5.) Thanks! It clearly helped our recruiting. ;) "Come to OU -- even if Texas manages to beat us, we'll still win championships and go to the big bowl games." I also never claimed that losing Colt had "no impact" on your losses. In fact, you were the one who suggested the opposite and attributed those games solely to losing Colt. I pointed out that there is more to football than a quarterback.

6.) We'll never know how good Bomar could have been, will we? The rest of the country seems to think highly of him (since you invest a lot in other's opinions, this might matter to you), considering we dropped substantially in all the polls after he was kicked off the team (from preseason national championship favorite to barely cracking the top 10). We'll also never know how we would've played had Peterson not been injured. This is just more pointless conjecture. As for Mack, any number of assumptions here, pal. Developing a backup ... throwing Colt McCoy into the A&M game when he was obviously nowhere near 100% ... game planning knowing his QB was out of commission. My statement didn't have anything to do with recruiting but rather game planning.

Big Game Bob
7/28/2007, 11:09 PM
Dammit, Jewstin, you got me on the Iowa State/Iowa thing.

Let me backtrack a bit. I was only foolin' with you earlier because I could sense that I was touching your buttons. Yes, last year's game against Boise State was great. Don't act like you wouldn't make fun of Texas for losing a game like that. As far as Colt having to play against the Ags, there was no other option. Snead had a foot out the door, and to be quite honest with you, I was not impressed with him at all anyway. Since he did not want to compete for a shot at QB, he did not need to be on the field. He damn well could have thrown the game on purpose as a big F-U to Texas. I am guessing that we will lose either Harris or Chiles within the next couple of years because I do not see anyone taking the job from Colt. As far as Bomar is concerned, I just really didn't see him being a big time college quarterback. I sincerely feel that you guys are much better off without him (obvious reasons aside). I am hoping that one of your 3 QB's comes in and is able to lead your team. This rivalry is MUCH better when both teams are on top of their game. I really did mean it when I said I couldn't wait for October, though.

Jewstin
7/28/2007, 11:22 PM
The Boise State thing ALWAYS touches my buttons because I watched them play some. Honestly, if Texas would've lost to Boise State, I would've felt bad for the conference, since I always root for Big XII teams come bowl time. I'm sure I still would've ragged on Texas once I put on my rivalry boots ... ;)

I watched several of Boise State's games last fall (specifically, them HANDLING Oregon State), and the thought occurred to me at that point how much it would suck to have to play such a stout team in the postseason because it would be perceived negatively. Never thought we would, though.

Anyways, I concur. I'd assume have years like 2004 for Texas and OU all across the board (minus the Orange Bowl, heh).

Zing
7/28/2007, 11:39 PM

Honestly, I think that Bomar would have performed well this last year. Seemed to me like we needed someone who could toss the ole pigskin around, and the reason why PT had the success he did was largely due to a solid receiving corps (See: Kelly). Thompson came in as an excellent athlete and a good, experienced team leader, but not a great quarterback. He was always throwing off the mark. In fact, when I heard the announcers say "Thompson throws a strike to Kelly!" what I saw was Kelly stopping and waiting on a pass that, if thrown to him in stride, could have resulted in points. With Heupel at QB coach and Stoops heading things up, it's entirely possible that Bomar could have learned the humility that a great college QB needs. He certainly had the talent. (Part of the reason I'm so excited to see Nichols play.)

I'm sure I still would've ragged on Texas once I put on my rivalry boots

You take those off?

Big Game Bob
7/28/2007, 11:40 PM
I think it's pretty impressive what TX and OU have done in the last decade. It's amazing how far the programs have come with the new coaches. I don't see Mack or Bob going anywhere, and they brought back this rivalry in a huge way. Before 99' or so, the RRS shootout was just another rivalry game (to outsiders). Nowadays it has huge NC implications, and that's a good sign for both programs. It's a darn good thing though, because without TX and OU, our conference would be a joke on a yearly basis. We need you, and you need us. Hatfields and McCoys!!

Big Game Bob
7/28/2007, 11:45 PM
Honestly, I think that Bomar would have performed well this last year. Seemed to me like we needed someone who could toss the ole pigskin around, and the reason why PT had the success he did was largely due to a solid receiving corps (See: Kelly). Thompson came in as an excellent athlete and a good, experienced team leader, but not a great quarterback. He was always throwing off the mark. In fact, when I heard the announcers say "Thompson throws a strike to Kelly!" what I saw was Kelly stopping and waiting on a pass that, if thrown to him in stride, could have resulted in points. With Heupel at QB coach and Stoops heading things up, it's entirely possible that Bomar could have learned the humility that a great college QB needs. He certainly had the talent. (Part of the reason I'm so excited to see Nichols play.)

You take those off?

Zing,

The problem with Bomar (my opinion of course) was that he was just a pompous ***. The way he and his daddy came across just always rubbed me the wrong way. I don't think he would have ever had the team behind him like VY did. I think even if his potential talent would have come to fruition he would have been a wildcard that never really bonded with the team. IIRC, the players were initially very happy the PT got the nod over Bomar in 05?? He was just not a likeable guy in my opinion.

Zing
7/28/2007, 11:49 PM
Zing,

The problem with Bomar (my opinion of course) was that he was just a pompous ***. The way he and his daddy came across just always rubbed me the wrong way. I don't think he would have ever had the team behind him like VY did. I think even if his potential talent would have come to fruition he would have been a wildcard that never really bonded with the team. IIRC, the players were initially very happy the PT got the nod over Bomar in 05?? He was just not a likeable guy in my opinion.

Yeah, The attitude was definitely a problem - and he wasn't any better by the time the Holiday Bowl came around. My faith was more placed in Stoops' and Heupel's ability to coach than in Bomar. I must admit that I really didn't pay attention to anything his dad said, so he never got a chance to rub me at all.

I mean, look at the team's reactions to big wins: The 2000 squad lifted Heupel on to their shoulders, whereas Bomar spiked the ball and almost cost the team the win there in the end. Wasn't any Bomar-loving going on by the team there. Again, though, that's why I think that a summer of Stoops and Heupel beating the team aspect of the game into him would have made a big difference.