PDA

View Full Version : Proof that Texas high school football fans are, well, stupid...

Tear Down This Wall
7/27/2007, 09:31 AM
Somwhere in an inane thread on UNT changing their unifrom to look like Todd Dodge's high school team, they start wondering about keeping the game close with us...wow:

"Wait and see what the TV media (game scheduling) does if UNT plays OU within 14..."

"i think if UNT somehow manages to put points up against the B12's best defense, a lot of people will take notice"

"yah oklahoma's D next year will be really good.... but it is the first game, anything can happen"

Um, yeah...well, I guess anything can happen...except North Texas being anywhere near 14 point of OU at the final gun. Halfway through the first quarter, perhaps, but....

Then, there's the comparison of Dodge to Billy Gillespie. The wondering who will take over for Mack, Applewhite or Dodge.

To say these people get ahead of themselves a little is, well, to understate the mindset of the average Texas high school football meathead.

OKC-SLC
7/27/2007, 09:54 AM
wow.

a bit of optimism is one thing, but that action there ain't healthy.

Mac94
7/27/2007, 09:57 AM
OU should destroy North Texas ... BUT ... opening games are kinda funny. OU will have a brand new QB and may rn a bit of a conservative offense. Remember, a 3 win UAB team hung with OU last year (24-17 Sooner win), and Tulsa hung with OU in the season that offically never happened until AD took control in the 4th.

It isn't out of the realm of possibility that UNT comes in and hangs with OU. First games are so hard to predict.

NormanPride
7/27/2007, 09:58 AM
No game is certain. Take nothing for granted. Destroy all in your path without mercy.

oumartin
7/27/2007, 10:05 AM
TCU

SoonerMooner
7/27/2007, 10:08 AM
Nothing like painting with a broad brush there, nimrod. Texas high school football fans are anything but stupid.

To say that based on one statement indicates that you have the intellect of the average toothbrush. Does your mother know you're using her computer again?

I love OU, but don't go bagging on Texas high school football. It's simply the best there is. End of story.

CtheB
7/27/2007, 10:41 AM
Somwhere in an inane thread on UNT changing their unifrom to look like Todd Dodge's high school team, they start wondering about keeping the game close with us...wow:

"Wait and see what the TV media (game scheduling) does if UNT plays OU within 14..."

"i think if UNT somehow manages to put points up against the B12's best defense, a lot of people will take notice"

"yah oklahoma's D next year will be really good.... but it is the first game, anything can happen"

Um, yeah...well, I guess anything can happen...except North Texas being anywhere near 14 point of OU at the final gun. Halfway through the first quarter, perhaps, but....

Then, there's the comparison of Dodge to Billy Gillespie. The wondering who will take over for Mack, Applewhite or Dodge.

To say these people get ahead of themselves a little is, well, to understate the mindset of the average Texas high school football meathead.

New coach, new scheme, no film, no nothing, and a team with nothing to lose.....granted, on talent alone, we should have enough to bury them. But in the game of football, stranger things have happened.

Agree above, take nothing for granted, and destroy everything in sight.

starrca23
7/27/2007, 10:43 AM
Wow, bag on someone for a generalization (Texas High school fans are stupid) by using a generalization (Texas football is the best there is). Texas football is just like any other state they have good teams and bad teams, they just have more of them than anybody else so they should have more teams and players that we here about.
With all respect if he is the brush, you are the paste.

Snrfn4ever08
7/27/2007, 11:14 AM
I love OU, but don't go bagging on Texas high school football. It's simply the best there is. End of story.
You're from Texas, of course you think it's the best there is

Tear Down This Wall
7/27/2007, 11:26 AM
I'm from Texas, too. But, these people are stupid. And, yes, so are most pitiful people who post on that website. S-T-U-P-I-D.

To think Bob Stoops & Co. won't know what to do with yet another crappy "spread" offense is absurd. Nothing will surprise him about some high school-based spread offense.

And, it doesn't matter who plays QB against North Texas. We could put Murray, Patrick, and Brown back there and just run the Single Wing and whip them.

UNT sucks it. They are not TCU, they are not Tulsa, they are not UAB. They are barely Denton High.

Dodge's crappy high school spread offense alone run by an unspectacular array of 1-star athletes will make for incompletions and interceptions ahoy...as well as more sacks than a grocery store clerk could shake a stick at.

UNT sucks it, Dodge sucks it, and so do the Texas high school football fans who post on that website.

Word to ya mutha....

Snrfn4ever08
7/27/2007, 11:30 AM
I'm from Texas, too. But, these people are stupid. And, yes, so are most pitiful people who post on that website. S-T-U-P-I-D.

To think Bob Stoops & Co. won't know what to do with yet another crappy "spread" offense is absurd. Nothing will surprise him about some high school-based spread offense.

And, it doesn't matter who plays QB against North Texas. We could put Murray, Patrick, and Brown back there and just run the Single Wing and whip them.

UNT sucks it. They are not TCU, they are not Tulsa, they are not UAB. They are barely Denton High.

Dodge's crappy high school spread offense alone run by an unspectacular array of 1-star athletes will make for incompletions and interceptions ahoy...as well as more sacks than a grocery store clerk could shake a stick at.

UNT sucks it, Dodge sucks it, and so do the Texas high school football fans who post on that website.

Word to ya mutha....
:applause: :D

Jewstin
7/27/2007, 12:35 PM
What in the name of high school football!?!

Seamus
7/27/2007, 01:15 PM
:pop:

GrapevineSooner
7/27/2007, 01:20 PM
You're from Texas, of course you think it's the best there is
Why do you think The King started recruiting down here? ;)

And while I don't think we'll come out firing on all 8 cylinders coming out of the gate, I don't know that UNT will be able to take advantage.

There's still an adjustment period that those kids will have to undergo to learn Southlake's new offense. There's a reason Dodge had middle school coaches instill his offense as early as the 6th grade when he was at Southlake.

It takes that long to learn it. And I think it will take a good year or two for UNT to learn it. The fact that Dodge's son will follow his dad to UNT next year will help expedite the learning process.

zeke
7/27/2007, 01:25 PM
TCU

+1

oumartin
7/27/2007, 03:46 PM
nobody was worried about TCU, UAB, or Tulsa either..

Egeo
7/27/2007, 06:25 PM
i concur
but stoops is really giving our team some high praise this summer...

Jacie
7/27/2007, 07:05 PM
When I read the title of the thread, my first thought was that it was about a couple of player's moms getting into a fistfight after a game . . .

Soonerfan88
7/27/2007, 11:30 PM
New coach, new scheme, no film, no nothing, and a team with nothing to lose.....granted, on talent alone, we should have enough to bury them. But in the game of football, stranger things have happened.

I agree with the "destroy everything" theory but Stoops & Co. will not really be in the dark about Dodge or his scheme.

Chase Wasson will be a walk-on at OU this fall. He will not be required to sit out a year (his last) because he was essentially grandfathered under the here today/gone tomorrow rule about graduates being able to transfer with no penalty.

Wasson was the starting QB at Southlake Carroll on their 2002 championship team and his father, a former assistant to Dodge, is the new HC at Carroll. I'm sure OU will have all the info they need about UNT.

Tear Down This Wall
7/28/2007, 05:01 PM

TCU, UAB, and Tulsa didn't have high school coaches leading them...along with offensive and defensive coordinators plucked from the same high school as well. TCU, UAB, and Tulsa all had coaches, top to bottom, with years of Division I-A coaching experience.

The majority of Dodge's staff is guys without college coaching experience. We will pound them. Their learning curve from high school ball to Division I-A college ball will be painful.

Tear Down This Wall
7/28/2007, 05:04 PM
I agree with the "destroy everything" theory but Stoops & Co. will not really be in the dark about Dodge or his scheme.

Mizzou runs a spread, Tech runs a spread, Baylor runs a spread...Stoops coached with Steve Spurrier, guru of spread offenses. No high school coach will be showing Stoops anything he hasn't already seen from coaching with Spurrier and Leach.

It's not new. In fact, it's getting older by the year. No one beats us with it, and especially not Division I-A pretender North Texas.

OUAndy1807
7/28/2007, 05:18 PM
who gives a **** about high school football? It's boring.

let me guess: "not in Texas it's not, it's almost on par with the NFL"

whatever. high school football is terrible.

proud gonzo
7/28/2007, 06:04 PM

whatever. high school football is terrible.when I was in high school, I always cheered for our football team to lose so the marching band didn't have to go to playoffs. Playoffs were always so freaking cold.

Penguin
7/28/2007, 06:44 PM

whatever. high school football is terrible.

No joke. Every team only has 1 good player and they give him the ball 90% of the time.

"Gee. They've given the ball to that huge running back 8 times in a row this drive. I wonder what they'll do this play?"

The biggest joke is the kicking game in high school football. I've seen people go freaking crazy because some 16 year old kicked a 27 yard field goal. Extra points and field goals are as rare as a zit-free cheerleader.

Booooooooooorrrrrrriiiiiiiinnnnnnggggg!!!!

KantoSooner
7/28/2007, 06:51 PM
You're right, high school ball is ridden with mistakes, the players don't know what they're doing half the time, the coaching is highly suspect, the fans mindlessly partisan, yadda, yadda, yadda.
To me, though, it remains interesting. Whether the kids at your highschool are going to the next level or not, you get to watch as their skill levels improve, as they grow physically more adept and as they start to figure out what their coach is trying to get them to do.
Now living back close to my highschool after 25 years away, I don't make every home game, but I enjoy those I do attend. C'mon, it's just a game.

OUAndy1807
7/28/2007, 07:45 PM
C'mon, it's just a game.
not to people in Texas. It's life and death, allegedly

Zing
7/29/2007, 05:04 PM

Actually, I was incredibly nervous about the TCU game. I tend to do with my gut when predicting game outcomes, and I just didn't feel good about the game the week before.

Not that it's never wrong, of course...

snp
7/29/2007, 06:25 PM

The coaches have all the film they need on UNT - they've been studying the SLC tapes since Dodge is bringing the same offense with him.

UNT is a bad team. They are nowhere near TCU and Tulsa when we played them. Their 3 QBs combined to throw for 1383 yards last year while throwing an interception every 13 passes. What is going to happen when they start throwing the ball 400 times a year? It won't be pretty the first few years.

VVV Sun Belt Conference

bluedogok
7/29/2007, 06:39 PM
There are some who are certifiably nuts and have totally unrealistic expectations when it comes to high school football.

I do think Dodge could make UNT into a competitive school against those in the Southland conference and occasionally be competitive against schools like SMU, TCU, Rice and Baylor but not very often. It isn't like basketball where you can get 2 or 3 good players to go with one great player and become instantly competitive like aTm this season. It takes awhile to build a football program, especially when you bring in complete new schemes.

Jacie
7/29/2007, 09:50 PM
Remember when the Domers took a highschool coach, albeit a very successful one at one of the top football schools out of Ohio, and made him their head coach? Gerry Faust went 30-26-1 i five seasons before resigning (to take another college job coaching the Akron Zips). In an online bio it says this about him:

Faust had installed a high school-type offense full of gadget plays that was ill-suited for the collegiate level.

Seldom were they actually beaten. In many instances, they beat themselves with costly mental errors, bad breaks and in some cases, bizarre freak plays. Fundamental mistakes such as fumbled snaps went uncorrected and seemed to recur every week. Confusion over play calling and personnel led to frequent premature exhaustion of time outs.

I don't think installing South Lake Carroll's offense is going to shake up the college football landscape as much as Todd Dodge thinks it will, except in Denton where the fans will be moaning in exasperation after they go 1-10 each of the next three seasons.

Tear Down This Wall
7/30/2007, 10:52 AM
I do think Dodge could make UNT into a competitive school against those in the Southland conference....

Bwaaahaaahaaahaaahaaah!

Sun Belt, Southland...what's the dif? :D

OKC-SLC
7/30/2007, 11:09 AM
heh.