PDA

View Full Version : poison ivy

OUHOMER
7/27/2007, 07:01 AM
I think i got it. i have been clearing some all brush the last few days. been sweating and wiping my face. My eyes are almost swollen shut.

Suerreal
7/27/2007, 07:43 AM
Sorry to hear that. Been there, done that. After years of repeated close encounters & no reaction, I fell facefirst into a patch of poison ivy. Swollen eyes, nose, mouth, ears, everywhere.

Call your doc's office. Steroids can be a Godsend for poison ivy, especially around the eyes.

- Sue

OUDoc
7/27/2007, 07:58 AM
Yes to the above.

Try Benadryl until then (the pills, not the crappy lotion).
And go wash everything. Including my car.

OUHOMER
7/27/2007, 08:02 AM
waiting for them to open now. Only thing i had was baby benadryl liquid stuff

Widescreen
7/27/2007, 08:33 AM
And don't worry about transferring it to someone else. Once you thoroughly wash off the oil, all that remains is the part that's absorbed in your body.

OU4LIFE
7/27/2007, 09:02 AM
could be Sumac dude...either way it's gonna suck.

soonerbrat
7/27/2007, 09:27 AM

and not in a good way.

usmc-sooner
7/27/2007, 09:31 AM
I'm not allergic to poison ivy, but I know some people who are you need to go to a doctor and get some steroid packs

OUBabe
7/27/2007, 09:38 AM
My nephew is extremely allergic to it and the Dr. told him to change the sheets each day b/c the oils get on the sheets. My nephew swears it cleared up much faster once he started doing this

olevetonahill
7/27/2007, 09:43 AM
Rub some dirt onit and get back to work , Ya bum

oumartin
7/27/2007, 10:02 AM
poison ivy, sounds like herpes infection of the eye to me

Widescreen
7/27/2007, 05:32 PM
My nephew is extremely allergic to it and the Dr. told him to change the sheets each day b/c the oils get on the sheets. My nephew swears it cleared up much faster once he started doing this
Doc can confirm, but in my research, as long as the skin area is washed thoroughly (e.g. a nice long shower), the rash itself doesn't really contain any of the plant oil. It's just your body's allergic reaction to the oil absorption.

OUDoc
7/27/2007, 07:06 PM
Doc can confirm, but in my research, as long as the skin area is washed thoroughly (e.g. a nice long shower), the rash itself doesn't really contain any of the plant oil. It's just your body's allergic reaction to the oil absorption.
True.

StoopTroup
7/27/2007, 07:16 PM
It could just be contact dermatisis...

I think it's an STD....:D

OUHOMER
7/27/2007, 09:25 PM

You may be right, i don't really remember seeing ivy. but yea it sucks in a bad day. Got A shot, some kind of cream , and some pills. Than i rubbed some dirt on it and went to work:D

the way i figure it. when all that stuff kicks in I will be immune to it for about a week. So i plan on attacking again while i have all of this in my system.
What do think about that?:cool:

OUDoc
7/27/2007, 09:47 PM
What do think about that?:cool:
http://www.badideadesigns.com/images/bad%20toaster%201.jpg

GottaHavePride
7/27/2007, 09:53 PM
I agree. Uma Thurman is hot.

OUHOMER
7/27/2007, 09:55 PM
you may be right. At least next time i will wear long pants, long sleeve shirt,gloves. instead of shorts and crocs without socks.

Widescreen
7/27/2007, 10:18 PM
you may be right. At least next time i will wear long pants, long sleeve shirt,gloves. instead of shorts and crocs without socks.
:hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:
http://www.bikerfox.com/foxphotos3/images/DSCF3518.jpg

Oh wait, you said without socks. My bad.

StoopTroup
7/28/2007, 01:46 AM
What a whore...

Seamus
7/28/2007, 03:08 AM
Having had that stuff in every last damn effing place possible, Seamus recommends keeping a bottle of Tecnu on hand. It's a detergent that is tremendously effective at dispersing the oils (urushiol) of the Toxicodendron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicodendron) genus (poison oak, ivy, sumac). If, and this is important, you wash with Tecnu in the first few hours after exposure, you're probably going to be all right. Once you get past a certain point, bummer.

I've tried several things for relief -- key is staying as cool and dry as possible. Baby powder (corn starch based) can help.

The idea above of changing the sheets is a good one. Wash clothing exposed to the oil in hot water if practical.

Hope you get better -- I've suffered what you're undergoing, and I wouldn't wish it on a whorn. Good luck.

Seamus

OUHOMER
7/28/2007, 11:59 AM
well, i went out side and found the stuff. I can not believe how much stuff i was in. I didnt even recognize it. Did you know there are different types of poison ivy. I go a whole trailer load of it

OU4LIFE
7/30/2007, 07:17 AM
I've suffered what you're undergoing, and I wouldn't wish it on a whorn.

Seamus

here lies the difference between us. I'm ok with every whorn in the universe getting that crap.

crawfish
7/30/2007, 07:45 AM
My youngest fell into some poison ivy during our hike through the mountains at Ruidoso last week. It started to burn, he jumped into the creek (clothes, shoes and all), and rubbed it off...no rashes the next day!

Of course, he had to walk nearly two miles back through the trails soaking wet with squishy shoes. But I'm sure it built character. :)

SoonerBOI
7/30/2007, 07:48 AM
Sorry to hear about that. Calamine lotion might help.

OUHOMER
7/30/2007, 08:08 AM
it clearing rather nicely. I got a shot and some pills. the best news and it weird. i injured my shoulder a couple of years ago. since the shot and the pills no more pain in my shoulder. I am talking constant pain. could hardly sleep. would wake up several times a night. now NO pain . Down side to the pills they keep me awake. but my shoulder fells great..:D

crawfish
7/30/2007, 09:05 AM
Measles make you bumpy
And mumps'll make you lumpy
And chicken pox'll make you jump and twitch
A common cold'll fool ya
And whooping cough can cool ya
But poison ivy, Lord'll make you itch!!

Mjcpr
7/30/2007, 09:11 AM
Measles make you bumpy
And mumps'll make you lumpy
And chicken pox'll make you jump and twitch
A common cold'll fool ya
And whooping cough can cool ya
But poison ivy, Lord'll make you itch!!

Worst rap evar.

Suerreal
7/30/2007, 10:00 AM
it clearing rather nicely. I got a shot and some pills. the best news and it weird. i injured my shoulder a couple of years ago. since the shot and the pills no more pain in my shoulder. I am talking constant pain. could hardly sleep. would wake up several times a night. now NO pain . Down side to the pills they keep me awake. but my shoulder fells great..:D

Not weird at all.

Steroids are the gold standard for anti-inflammatory drugs.

Others, such as Motrin and Naprosyn, and their OTC equivalents Advil and Aleve, are termed NSAIDs, for Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs.

So, no surprise at all that the steroids are helping with the shoulder pain, (likely arthritis or bursitis), but they're really not good to take for a long time due to very serious side effects (hypertension, diabetes, cataracts, ulcers, osteoporosis, immune suppression, increased appetitie/weight gain)

- Sue

SeattleOUstudent
7/30/2007, 04:01 PM
Dammit...this thread doesnt say ANYTHING about Alissa Milano OR Jaimie Pressley!

crawfish
7/30/2007, 04:34 PM
Worst rap evar.

Why do you hate the Coasters? :mad: