PDA

View Full Version : Anchorage, AK knowledge havers

OKLA21FAN
7/26/2007, 03:37 PM
Will be spending the 2nd week in Aug doing the 'alaska tourist' dealio. doing the basic touristo stuff (flight seeing Mt Mckinley and Denali natl park , fishing out of Seward)

is there any other 'must see or do' stuff that a tourist may not know about?

thanks in advance

SicEmBaylor
7/26/2007, 03:38 PM
Will be spending the 2nd week in Aug doing the 'alaska tourist' dealio. doing the basic touristo stuff (flight seeing Mt Mckinley and Denali natl park , fishing out of Seward)

thanks in advance

I bet it gets up to a down right tropical 55 degrees in August up there.

royalfan5
7/26/2007, 03:39 PM
Make sure not to lick the igloos. Your tongue will freeze to them.

StuIsTheMan
7/26/2007, 03:40 PM
Calling Dr. Rich...Dr. Mike Rich to the SO STAT!

Howzit
7/26/2007, 03:49 PM
I was up there last summer and kayaked Blackstone Bay from Whittier. If you have any way of getting over there for the day, do it.

Do. It.

Pricey, but it ranks in the top 5 all-time things I've seen and done.

www.alaskaseakayakers.com (http://www.alaskaseakayakers.com)

Frozen Sooner
7/26/2007, 03:50 PM

thanks in advance

Hmmmmm....

Hit the Kenai for some river fishing. Silvers should be running right about then.

In Anchorage itself:

The Anchorage Museum is pretty nifty. Lots of interesting art and such.
Take a walk down the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail-it's a pretty walk and it's named after a big OU fan!

Try to take a Glacier/Wildlife Cruise. You'll see all kinds of cool stuff. Those run about $250, I think.
Hike up Flattop for a spectacular view. Easy hike if you're in decent shape. And by "decent shape" I mean "not a huge tub of goo like yours truly."
Instead of flight-seeing Denali, why not take a Railroad tour? I think people prefer these.

Howzit
7/26/2007, 03:53 PM
Oh, there's also an Iditarod dog training facility right around Seward. We took a tour of the facility and they hook the dogs up to these big sleds with wheels and give you a spin. That's a 2 or 3 hour deal and is right outside of town.

Howzit
7/26/2007, 03:54 PM
And Mike already had his birthday so he may let you buy him a beer.

:mad:

;)

Frozen Sooner
7/26/2007, 03:55 PM
Heh. Howzit really is a better one to ask than me. I've lived here for 28-odd years, so I don't do tourist stuff.

I mean, the Best Buy down the street is pretty nifty, but I'm sure you've seen one of those recently.

SelmaBamaFan
7/26/2007, 03:56 PM
We tried to drive to Denali but didnt make it, ofcourse it was November with 100 ft of snow and -0 temperatures that day. Had some nice views and saw some wild life on the way though, I enjoyed it.

Other than that I just worked while there heh. Oh, too bad you arent there during football season. The Peanut Farm has an awesome B'fast for when your watching Game Day at 6:30ish in the morning! ;)

Frozen Sooner
7/26/2007, 03:56 PM
And Mike already had his birthday so he may let you buy him a beer.

:mad:

;)

DUDE! You gave me like 15 minutes notice and I already had plans!

Yeah, if you want, I'll meet up with you somewhere and have a beer. You were at the Tilted Kilt in Scottsdale, right?

Frozen Sooner
7/26/2007, 03:57 PM
We tried to drive to Denali but didnt make it, ofcourse it was November with 100 ft of snow and -0 temperatures that day. Had some nice views and saw some wild life on the way though, I enjoyed it.

Other than that I just worked while there heh. Oh, too bad you arent there during football season. The Peanut Farm has an awesome B'fast for when your watching Game Day at 6:30ish in the morning! ;)

^^^

This guy can't handle his Long Island Iced Teas. :D

Howzit
7/26/2007, 03:58 PM
DUDE! You gave me like 15 minutes notice and I already had plans!

Yeah, if you want, I'll meet up with you somewhere and have a beer. You were at the Tilted Kilt in Scottsdale, right?

:D

No, but I'm meeting Harry Beanbag at the one in Tempe at 5:00 today...

Harry Beanbag
7/26/2007, 04:00 PM
Is the Peanut Farm that humongous bar made entirely of wood?

Frozen Sooner
7/26/2007, 04:01 PM
Heh. Sorry, that last part was directed to OKLA21FAN.

You know, I saw Harry at the Tilted Kilt. Dude just walked on by me, Doleo, Yermom, and a few others.

Harry Beanbag
7/26/2007, 04:01 PM
:D

No, but I'm meeting Harry Beanbag at the one in Tempe at 5:00 today...

Yeah, that's more than 15 minutes notice, get your *** down here Mike.

Frozen Sooner
7/26/2007, 04:03 PM
Is the Peanut Farm that humongous bar made entirely of wood?

I think that's the one you're talking about. I mean, most of the bars up here are made of wood...

But yeah, the old part of the building is log-cabin style. They just put on a HUGE addition a couple of years back.

Harry Beanbag
7/26/2007, 04:04 PM
Heh. Sorry, that last part was directed to OKLA21FAN.

You know, I saw Harry at the Tilted Kilt. Dude just walked on by me, Doleo, Yermom, and a few others.

We got stuck in the back then went to the patio. I met Doleo and yermom in LA before, talked to them a little later. I don't remember seeing you at all. There were too many hillibillies in that place to talk to all of them.

Frozen Sooner
7/26/2007, 04:04 PM
Yeah, that's more than 15 minutes notice, get your *** down here Mike.

Getting in the car now...

Frozen Sooner
7/26/2007, 04:05 PM
We got stuck in the back then went to the patio. I met Doleo and yermom in LA before, talked to them a little later. I don't remember seeing you at all. There were too many hillibillies in that place to talk to all of them.

I was sitting at the same table as yermom and doleo. Only reason I knew it was you was someone pointed you out. I'm pretty sure we hollered "BOOMER!" at you when you walked in.

Harry Beanbag
7/26/2007, 04:07 PM
I'm pretty sure we hollered "BOOMER!" at you when you walked in.

Oh, that was you? ;) That's about all I heard while we were in there, really LOUD-like. I almost felt sorry for that poor lonely horn sitting at the bar, he picked the wrong place that night.

Frozen Sooner
7/26/2007, 04:09 PM
Heh. Yeah, he was really getting the business when Iowa went up like two TDs on them.

I remember that our waitress was REALLY funny-looking.

StuIsTheMan
7/26/2007, 04:20 PM
Alaskan Bush Company

Harry Beanbag
7/26/2007, 04:22 PM
Alaskan Bush Company

Yeah, I've been there too. :)

StuIsTheMan
7/26/2007, 07:23 PM
LOT'S AND LOT'S OF BUG SPRAY!!!!

THEY WILL SUCK YOU DRY I SAY!

fire away:pop:

Frozen Sooner
7/26/2007, 09:15 PM
At the Bush Company? No they won't. Contrary what they might tell you, there is NO sex in the Champagne Room.

(If you're talkin' about the skeeters, you're correct.)

Howzit
7/26/2007, 11:56 PM
LOT'S AND LOT'S OF BUG SPRAY!!!!

THEY WILL SUCK YOU DRY I SAY!

fire away:pop:

You know, I must say that I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of mosquitos in the Seward area. I know they must be horrendous inland, but on the coast it was not that bad, even hiking up into the mountians.

ultimatesooner1
7/27/2007, 10:42 AM
you could always drive your car into the lobby of Froze's bank