PDA

View Full Version : More ball diamond death

Okla-homey
7/26/2007, 08:52 AM
who's next?

Girl, 12, dead from softball to head

By Staff Reports
7/26/2007

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- A 12-year-old softball player was knocked unconscious when a ball hit her in the head during practice, and she died a day later, police and family said.

Margaret Ruth "Maggie" Hilbrands was hit by a ground ball during a routine infield drill on Monday -- a day after the death of a minor-league baseball coach who was struck by a line drive in Arkansas. The Grand Rapids girl died Tuesday at DeVos Children's Hospital.

"She missed the ball. It appears it hit her in the wrong spot. She never regained consciousness," her mother, Jan Hilbrands, told The Grand Rapids Press.

Maggie stopped breathing but her heart was beating after the ball hit her, Lowell Police Chief Jim Valentine told The Associated Press.

He said coaches and others at the scene tried to revive her before she was taken to a hospital.

The Kent County medical examiner's office planned to conduct an autopsy Thursday.

SoonerBOI
7/26/2007, 08:57 AM
Oh no.

OUDoc
7/26/2007, 08:58 AM
Tragic.

Boomer.....
7/26/2007, 09:01 AM
Horrible.

I bet parents are going to stop letting their kids play sports because of all this.

colleyvillesooner
7/26/2007, 09:15 AM
Due to the higher profile of the Tulsa Drillers coaches death, I bet we start hearing more nationally about these tragic accidents. I bet they were happening before, but now each one will get picked up in papers across the country.

StoopTroup
7/26/2007, 09:22 AM
Could be Colley...

Sad deal though...

salth2o
7/26/2007, 09:41 AM
Things happen in three's. So there will prolly be one more victim soon. I am glad I will be in a suite at the Astro's game on Sunday.

mxATVracer10
7/26/2007, 09:49 AM
very sad indeed, but how could a ground ball hit by a 12 year old girl carry enough velocity to actually cause any damage? :confused:

colleyvillesooner
7/26/2007, 09:51 AM
very sad indeed, but how could a ground ball hit by a 12 year old girl carry enough velocity to actually cause any damage? :confused:

It was during a drill, so it was probably a coach hitting the ball.

Jimminy Crimson
7/26/2007, 10:13 AM
Sad, sad deal...

How long until some money grubbing lawyer demands that a warning label be printed on baseballs and softballs?

I know the Tulsa incident was with a wooden bat, but this should further the cause of getting rid of metal bats in the high school and college ranks.

Ike
7/26/2007, 11:12 AM
Just my 2 cents here.
a) This is terrible.
b) This is why, when fielding a ground ball, you keep your eyes on the ball at all times. If I had to harbor a guess, she prolly turned her head away from the ball when it took a bad hop, and it may have prolly hit her in the temple, or somewhere like that. If you take it off the forehead or the top of the head, generally, the skull is more protective there.

Not that I'm blaming the victim here. I don't really blame her at all...especially at 12 years old. It's natural instinct to turn away like that, cause you don't want to take one off the grill. That hurts.

picasso
7/26/2007, 11:15 AM
Due to the higher profile of the Tulsa Drillers coaches death, I bet we start hearing more nationally about these tragic accidents. I bet they were happening before, but now each one will get picked up in papers across the country.
he was the 2nd pro player to be killed by a head shot in the history of the game. and it turns out his wasn't even a head shot.

colleyvillesooner
7/26/2007, 11:24 AM
he was the 2nd pro player to be killed by a head shot in the history of the game. and it turns out his wasn't even a head shot.

I kinda meant kids playing in games and getting severely injured/killed.

picasso
7/26/2007, 11:26 AM
I knew that. My point was it isn't that common in the pro game.

colleyvillesooner
7/26/2007, 11:37 AM
Gotcha.

TUSooner
7/26/2007, 12:36 PM
I was involved with girls softball for years, and just the thought of that actually happening to kid you coach and care for is horrible and sickening. My heart breaks for the family.

Regarding the tragic death of the Tulsa coach: Mike Coolbaugh played for the Neworlins Zephyrs minor league team a few years ago. The Zs are having a fundraiser for his family. Coincidentally, donors of a minimal amount (like $5 or so) get a ticket to see the Zephyrs play the 89ers... uhhh Redhawks