PDA

View Full Version : Boise State Running back threatened . . .

OK2LA
7/26/2007, 12:03 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2948053

BOISE, Idaho -- A Boise State University running back who scored the winning points in the Fiesta Bowl, then proposed to his cheerleader girlfriend on national television, has hired security for his weekend wedding because of racial threats, a newspaper reported Tuesday.

Ian Johnson, who is black, and his fiance, Chrissy Popadics, who is white, are due to be married Saturday in Boise.

A report on the letters and phone calls that Johnson has received was carried in an Idaho Statesman sports column.

Johnson, 21, from San Dimas, Calif., ran into the end zone on a so-called "Statue of Liberty" play to score the winning two-point conversion as underdog BSU beat the Oklahoma Sooners 43-42 in overtime on Jan. 1. The Broncos ended their season 13-0 and wound up ranked No. 5 in the final AP poll.

Johnson, who will be a junior this fall, proposed to Popadics, at the time a Broncos cheerleader, on the field after time expired in the game in Glendale, Ariz.

Since then, Johnson said he's received phone calls, 30 letters and, in some instances, personal threats from people who objected to his plans to marry Popadics.

"You take it for what it is -- the less educated, the less willing to change," Johnson told the Statesman. "But we're not acting like we're naive to all the stuff that's going on. We know what's been said. We're going to make sure we're safe at all times. It's an amazing day for us, and we'd hate to have it ruined by someone."

He didn't describe the threats -- or the heightened security measures the couple have planned -- in detail.

"It's unfortunate that it involves a certain protocol being followed to ensure that nothing happens," Johnson said. "It's really sad because a lot of people that are probably doing it are the same people who were cheering me on."

A BSU football spokesman, Todd Miles, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that Johnson hopes to put the matter behind him and does not want to comment further. Johnson's phone number is unlisted.

Popadics' family in Boise declined to make her available Tuesday for an interview.

I assume this is the same Sooner fan that threatened that jagoff ref in Oregon. :rolleyes:

StuIsTheMan
7/26/2007, 12:06 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96547
retread...:P

OK2LA
7/26/2007, 12:12 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96547
retread...:P

My apologies to Sooner Stormchaser - I guess he had it in the right place as well. I didn't check the South Oval.

Mike - feel free to merge/delete/lock

:D

goingoneight
7/26/2007, 12:27 AM
Are they racist threats? I mean, I've heard nothing officially racist. The biracial thing may irritate some old-timers, but jeez get over it. Humans are humans; black, white or whatever.

StuIsTheMan
7/26/2007, 12:30 AM
Are they racist threats? I mean, I've heard nothing officially racist. The biracial thing may irritate some old-timers, but jeez get over it. Humans are humans; black, white or whatever.

No G.W. is waiting for the Gallop Pole results before he makes a ruling on this:D

Soonermagik
7/26/2007, 08:42 AM
Why hate someone because their skin is a little different than yours? I don't understand that kind of nonsense and it makes me ill.

sooneredaco
7/26/2007, 08:54 AM
I agree Soonermagik, if you're going to hate someone hate them because they wear burnt orange and worship an old fat heffer with horns

soonervegas
7/26/2007, 09:57 AM
He should get threatened. How dare he turn a college football classic into a crappy Disney movie with that proposal stunt. Him, Chris Myers, and Popadics all deserve to be banished from the collective conscience of the college football world. Just when I almost totally got it whitewashed from my brain....

So he got a few inbreds telling him he shouldn't be marrying that white girl. Is this really newsworthy? Why not just laugh at them and move on. Me thinks the limelight feels a little too warm on the skin....

More to come from this guy.

Scott D
7/26/2007, 10:38 AM
probably because their wedding is this weekend, so it ends up being relatively newsworthy..also he's considered an outside shot heisman candidate this year.

TripleOption14
7/26/2007, 11:35 AM
And as i've said time and time again. As long as racist individuals are allowed to spew their hate and are protected by freedom of speech and have no repercussions i will continue to say "Home of the....Sooners" as loud and proud as I want!!

Not to open up an old can of worms or anything.

Blitzkrieg
7/26/2007, 01:25 PM
I was just joking around.... sheesh.