PDA

View Full Version : Possible anti-homer B12 ref rule

Sooner Eclipse
7/25/2007, 10:31 PM
link to OU insider story re: B12 Media Day (http://ouinsider.com/news/story.php?article=194)

Crew Check

Last fall we began working with writers at the Dallas Morning News and the Tulsa World on officiating crews and their assignment to Big 12 games, and the corresponding hometowns and/or alma maters of the officials. We told you we would monitor these crew assignments during the year and submit them to the conference to explain.

If you remember, our publisher cornered former Big 12 Commissioner Kevin Weiberg last summer and asked if new Big 12 Director of Officials Walt Anderson could install a policy to prevent another Lubbock, where the official making the call was in fact an insurance salesman in Lubbock. And to make matters worse, later employed the young man the he ruled in the endzone.

If you recall, Weiberg thought the policy unnecessary and said it would hamper him on assignments, as three of eight crews were basically HQ’d in the Austin area and that would prevent them from working some of the conferences most important games.

That started our joint campaign to change things and we installed a tracking program detailing where every Big 12 crew worked and what if any connection they had to the teams involved.

Apparently, our not-so-subtle tracking paid off, as today we asked and Walt Anderson said the Big 12 now has a policy that prevents hometown officials and former players from working games involving those schools.

Congrats to Walt Anderson. Thank goodness, the weak-kneed Weiberg is gone, as it appears that the policy was adopted either over his objection, or after his departure.

When OUInsider Publisher Brian Bishop asked in the press conference if the new policy would be available for the press to review, Anderson hesitated as Interim Commissioner Dan Beebe cut in from the back of the room and said that the conference would study the possibility of releasing the new policy.

Brian then asked Beebe if that was a Yes or No? When Beebe refused to answer, a rather angry Brian then asked Beebe if he was in fact the re-embodiment of Kevin Weiberg, as that was exactly the kind of bureaucratic answer Weiberg would give while saying nothing.

Beebe sat silent with steam escaping from his ears and giving Brian the stare down, while many members of the media responded with wide grins and a thumbs up sign.

Anderson, an NFL official appeared competent and knowledgeable of the reasons and supportive of the policy. The conference is lucky to have him, and once again, the power of the press has brought about necessary reform.

This sounds great if true, but I would want to read the policy to see that there are not loopholes to allow Austin crews anywhere near the cotton bowl. Also, Beebe sounds as spineless as Weiberg. Does anyone know where his loyalties lie? If he can't wholeheartedly support this, it's the first best reason not to make his "interim" title permanent. Hope it goes in over all the Texas homer's objections.
:pop:

Sorry about the link to insider but it's the only place i've seen the story.

OKC-SLC
7/25/2007, 10:58 PM
Beebe sounds like a ******.

OK2LA
7/25/2007, 11:41 PM
Beebe sounds like a ******.

I loved it when he stripped Leon Lett as he was rumblin' towards the endzone.

That was awesome.

But he may very well be a ******.

buffalobill989
7/26/2007, 08:44 AM
that was don beebe that stripped leon lett. i dont think they are the same person

OK2LA
7/26/2007, 06:41 PM
that was don beebe that stripped leon lett. i dont think they are the same person

Check your facts son before you go spoutin' off about things you know nothing about.

Common sense ref
7/26/2007, 08:14 PM
Check your facts son before you go spoutin' off about things you know nothing about. :HMMM!

Ash
7/26/2007, 08:42 PM
I loved it when he stripped Leon Lett as he was rumblin' towards the endzone.

That was awesome.

But he may very well be a ******.

You have to be impressed that he could be in the NFL and Commisioner of the Ohio Valley Conference at the same time.

buffalobill989
7/27/2007, 11:15 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Beebe

http://www.big12sports.com/genrel/011503aaa.html

blow me

Octavian
7/27/2007, 11:54 AM
kudos to Brian Bishop for forcing the issue in the presser...

A person should not be allowed to ref a game for a team if he lives in their hometown.

The incorruptible ref myth has been put to bed a thousand times. We've been victimized in each of the last two years by absolute homers. In the last year, the sports community has seen Gordon Reese and now the NBA fiasco....it happens. They're people like everyone else and they shouldn't be allowed to influence outcomes of games if they live across the street from the stadium.

absolutely...that policy should be made permanent.

Williesan
7/27/2007, 12:39 PM
About freaking time they are even thinking about this. But this should be a no-brainer and Beebe is making it a stumbling block.

People with an association to a school (i.e. played for, taught at, attended, graduated from, etc.) should never be involved in any athletic contest involving his/her school, or even a contest that could affect his her school. Would you want a Sooner calling the Texas/Texas A&M when the right winner if the gam could put us into the conference title game (like last year?)

Now if we can get the Pac-10 to get moving...

Williesan

OK2LA
7/28/2007, 02:07 PM

http://www.big12sports.com/genrel/011503aaa.html

blow me

You obviously have your facts wrong.

This is a direct quote from the Wikipedia page you cited. Did you even read it when you cut and pasted it? I've quoted it directly from the innerweb for you:

He is perhaps best known for one of the more memorable moments in Super Bowl history. While with the Bills during their rout at the hands of the Dallas Cowboys in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XXVII, Cowboys defensive tackle Leon Lett recovered a fumble and was preparing to return it for a touchdown. Lett began celebrating prematurely, and though the Bills were down 52-17 at the time, a relentless Beebe streaked across the field and knocked the ball out of Lett's hands, preventing the touchdown, and regaining possession of the ball on the touchback. Beebe also caught 2 passes for 50 yards, including a 40 yard touchdown reception from Frank Reich earlier in the game. It is also widely known that he is the Interim Big XII Commissioner - sometimes going by his alias - Dan Beebe. Some call him a ******.

It's obvious that they are the same person. Even Ash agreed with me.

But if that's all you think you have to do for me to blow you - you have another thing coming.

Thanks for playing.

OK2LA
7/28/2007, 02:16 PM
You have to be impressed that he could be in the NFL and Commisioner of the Ohio Valley Conference at the same time.

You are exactly right! I am very impressed. I've heard that the guy was a workaholic. Major props.