PDA

View Full Version : OU vs Notre Dame?

Paperclip
7/25/2007, 11:17 AM
Wednesday, July 25, 2007
Michigan, Notre Dame look for new opponents to fill schedule

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Michigan won't settle for just any opponent when its football series with Notre Dame takes a break after the 2011 season, the school's athletic director says.

Michigan will play a national power from a major conference, most likely in a home-and-home series, athletic director Bill Martin told The Ann Arbor News for a story posted on its Web site Tuesday evening.

"There are a lot of teams Michigan would like to play and who would like to play Michigan," Martin said.

Martin declined to name names but said he's been approached by several schools.

Notre Dame athletic director Kevin White last week announced that Oklahoma would replace Michigan for two years after the current contract expires.

White said the goal is to play in different parts of the country in an attempt to return Notre Dame to its independent roots.

But the rivalry isn't going to disappear.

Martin said he and White will meet soon to continue contract talks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2948275

SoonerBOI
7/25/2007, 11:25 AM
nice.

StuIsTheMan
7/25/2007, 11:40 AM
nice.

Yah...Don't we owe them an ArseWhoop'n Anyhow...BOOK IT!:D

BASSooner
7/25/2007, 12:30 PM
Let's do it. Those guys are just about due for an @$$ whoopin

SteelClip49
7/25/2007, 12:30 PM
OU and Notre Dame has been scheduled for a while.

2 ooc games for OU in 2014 will be ND and Tennessee.

Snrfn4ever08
7/25/2007, 12:35 PM
OU and Notre Dame has been scheduled for a while.

2 ooc games for OU in 2014 will be ND and Tennessee.
for the love of god, why would they schedule those both in the same year?

SoonerStats
7/25/2007, 12:52 PM
Actually it would mean ND in 2012-13 and Tennessee in 2014-15.

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=2008

SteelClip49
7/25/2007, 12:54 PM
Originally, I thought it was ND in 2013 and 2015, then 2014 and 2015. Ah well, it's pretty much a done deal somewhere around there. Figure OU could win two and make the series 3-8 all time :/

schlanker
7/25/2007, 01:32 PM
These punks still owe us a game in Norman from 99. They never gave us the return game. Hopefully they play in norman first and we stiff them on the return to get even.

MiccoMacey
7/25/2007, 01:37 PM
These punks still owe us a game in Norman from 99. They never gave us the return game. Hopefully they play in norman first and we stiff them on the return to get even.

I agree withthe first part. They owe us a game in Norman first.

But I hope we go up to Notre Dame for a return game. Two wrongs don't make a right, and playing at Notre Dame is still pretty cool.

Man, if Stoops had been here one year earlier or our players actually knew where the weight room was in 1998, we'd have had the depth and shape to beat them in 1999.

Sigh. If only.

Taxman71
7/25/2007, 01:39 PM
Lucky for us, the Irish had never heard of the "kick away from the return man" strategy prior to 1999.

MiccoMacey
7/25/2007, 01:44 PM
Man, he was on fire that day. He may not have been the greatest QB or greatest WR or greatest KR ever at OU, but he may have been the greatest QB/WR/KR ever at OU. What a great talent.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/25/2007, 02:03 PM
These punks still owe us a game in Norman from 99. They never gave us the return game. Hopefully they play in norman first and we stiff them on the return to get even.I like this!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/25/2007, 02:05 PM
Figure OU could win two and make the series 3-8 all time :/This isn't a backhanded dig, is it?

Paperclip
7/25/2007, 02:11 PM
Was it Steve Owens who signed that deal for the 1999 game and was it just for one game? I don't recall ND ever being obligated to a return game.

soonervegas
7/25/2007, 02:19 PM
1999 was a 1 yr deal. They were not obligated for a return game.

Frozen Sooner
7/25/2007, 02:22 PM
Yep. That's a common misconception that's been running around the boards for a while-one that took me in as well. OU was never promised a return game from Notre Dame after the 1999 game.

MiccoMacey
7/25/2007, 02:44 PM
Mike,

I've never let facts or truth stand between me and my opinion, and I'm not going to start now. :)

I don't care if they "owed" us a game or not, it'd be nice for them to come to Norman.

OUmillenium
7/25/2007, 03:43 PM
Good, time to rekindle some ND hatred, its been on the backburner for 8 years and counting

chantundefeated
7/25/2007, 03:48 PM
ND does not owe OU a retun game from 99. The contract was for one game with an option for a home and home because the contract was made in the blake and schnelly era. After OU got good, ND decided not to excercise their home and home option. It was pretty smart thinking on their part considering the direction of the program before Weis.

virginiasooner
7/25/2007, 04:05 PM
I'll betcha that the Domeheads will try to weasel out of playing in Norman -- i.e. their recently accounced "plan" to polish up their independent credentials by scheduling games at neutral sites. They'll probably try to wrangle a game in Kansas City or St. Louis out of Joe C. They must come to Norman first -- no neutral site game crap. And then we'll show up in South Bend and hang half a hundred on them.

LittleWingSooner
7/25/2007, 04:09 PM
Our QB for that game is about 15 yrs old now...where is he?
All I know is, he better be practicing.

We better be recruitin' him. :D

Paperclip
7/27/2007, 12:09 AM
Thu July 26, 2007
Sooners, Notre Dame agree to games in 2012-13
By John Helsley
Staff Writer
NORMAN - The Irish are coming.
Oklahoma's quest to fill future football schedules has found a powerhouse partner: Notre Dame.

The Sooners and Irish have agreed to a two-year series that will bring the Irish to Norman in 2012, with OU returning to South Bend, Ind., in 2013. Notre Dame hasn't played in Norman since 1966.

OU athletic director Joe Castiglione confirmed the agreement, yet consistent with his policy, preferred to withhold comment until a signed contract is in hand. Notre Dame's John Heisler, a senior associate athletic director in charge of scheduling, also confirmed the deal.

While the schools have met just nine times in football and just once since the late '60s, Notre Dame stands as a major nemesis to OU fans. The Irish own an 8-1 record against the Sooners and are still resented for a 1957 win in Norman that ended OU's NCAA-record 47-game winning streak.

Notre Dame beat the Sooners 34-30 in 1999, Bob Stoops' first season and the first meeting between the elite programs in 31 years.

The schools had been trying to get back together since.

"We agreed at that time to agree to schedule some additional games,” Heisler said Thursday.

"It didn't get done at that time. And it took a while to get these slotted and to fit. But we've finally made it work.”

The Sooners and Irish played fairly regularly in the 1950s and '60s, when eight of the nine previous matchups occurred.

OU's only series win came in 1956, when the No. 1-ranked Sooners romped 40-0 in South Bend. The most referred-to game in the series came a year later, when the Irish visited Norman on Nov. 16, 1957 — Statehood Day — and as a 19-point underdog, knocked off the No. 2-ranked Sooners and halted one of the most celebrated streaks in sports.

When the Sooners played at Notre Dame in '99, some 6,000 OU fans made the trip to South Bend.

Beyond the fan bases, OU-Notre Dame matchups also create a stir nationally. The Irish have won 11 national championships, more than any school. The Sooners have won seven national titles — all since 1950.

"Certainly, there haven't been a huge number of games in the series,” Heisler said. "That's what makes it a little intriguing, because you have two names that have been pretty high profile a long number of years.

"When they aren't routine appearances, it grabs more attention

colleyvillesooner
7/27/2007, 12:24 AM
Sweet.

can't wait to go to South Bend.

goingoneight
7/27/2007, 03:03 AM
Thu July 26, 2007
Sooners, Notre Dame agree to games in 2012-13
By John Helsley
Staff Writer
NORMAN - The Irish are coming.
Oklahoma's quest to fill future football schedules has found a powerhouse partner: Notre Dame.

The Sooners and Irish have agreed to a two-year series that will bring the Irish to Norman in 2012, with OU returning to South Bend, Ind., in 2013. Notre Dame hasn't played in Norman since 1966.

OU athletic director Joe Castiglione confirmed the agreement, yet consistent with his policy, preferred to withhold comment until a signed contract is in hand. Notre Dame's John Heisler, a senior associate athletic director in charge of scheduling, also confirmed the deal.

While the schools have met just nine times in football and just once since the late '60s, Notre Dame stands as a major nemesis to OU fans. The Irish own an 8-1 record against the Sooners and are still resented for a 1957 win in Norman that ended OU's NCAA-record 47-game winning streak.

Notre Dame beat the Sooners 34-30 in 1999, Bob Stoops' first season and the first meeting between the elite programs in 31 years.

The schools had been trying to get back together since.

"We agreed at that time to agree to schedule some additional games,” Heisler said Thursday.

"It didn't get done at that time. And it took a while to get these slotted and to fit. But we've finally made it work.”

The Sooners and Irish played fairly regularly in the 1950s and '60s, when eight of the nine previous matchups occurred.

OU's only series win came in 1956, when the No. 1-ranked Sooners romped 40-0 in South Bend. The most referred-to game in the series came a year later, when the Irish visited Norman on Nov. 16, 1957 — Statehood Day — and as a 19-point underdog, knocked off the No. 2-ranked Sooners and halted one of the most celebrated streaks in sports.

When the Sooners played at Notre Dame in '99, some 6,000 OU fans made the trip to South Bend.

Beyond the fan bases, OU-Notre Dame matchups also create a stir nationally. The Irish have won 11 national championships, more than any school. The Sooners have won seven national titles — all since 1950.

"Certainly, there haven't been a huge number of games in the series,” Heisler said. "That's what makes it a little intriguing, because you have two names that have been pretty high profile a long number of years.

"When they aren't routine appearances, it grabs more attention

Ha!!! Went from 8 to 11!!! Why isn't anyone paying attention to all of the bogus National Titles the media has snuck in lately? USC, tOSU, Michigan and Alabama all claimed to have doubled digit MNCs in CFB last season. If you'll remember, not too long ago... it was widely known that---

ND = 8 (most in all of CFB)
OU = 7 (recent was the 2000 outright)
Alabama/Nebbish/USC = (3WT) 5 (most recent being 2005 OB, game which we do not speak of)
... numerous had counts of 4, 3, 2 and 1.

Am I the only one who remembers this? Pop in a tape of the two OU/Bama games... the only difference ABC and ESPN had listed were the USC and UT titles which came post-2003.

Egeo
7/27/2007, 10:51 AM
about time we scheduled a cupcake!

OKC-SLC
7/27/2007, 11:09 AM
heh.

cheezyq
7/27/2007, 01:14 PM

Weis: "Cupcake?!? Did somebody say cupcake? Where's the cupcake? I want cupcake!"

The problem with waiting until 2012 to play these guys is that Charlie and the Chocolate Chunky Butt will probably have eaten his offensive line by then. Especially when he realizes that the gold helmets the Irish players wear aren't wrappers for a giant helmet-shaped chocolate bar, and there's no golden ticket inside admitting him entrance into a magical world full of candy.

swardboy
7/27/2007, 02:06 PM
Boy, I'll bet I'll hear the noise from Norman here in Missouri when ND comes to town....

tulsaoilerfan
7/27/2007, 08:52 PM
Good, time to rekindle some ND hatred, its been on the backburner for 50 years and counting

Fixed:pop:

tulsaoilerfan
7/27/2007, 08:53 PM
I bet Weis is back to the NFL by 2012; if my son follows through with his plans to go to college at Norman, he will be a Freshman when that game is played :)

Sooner24
7/27/2007, 10:41 PM
I bet Weis is back to the NFL by 2012; if my son follows through with his plans to go to college at Norman, he will be a Freshman when that game is played :)

If my son is still going to OU then he can pay his own way. :eek: