PDA

View Full Version : Calling all beer drinkers...

MamaMia
7/23/2007, 02:02 PM
I need some suggestions. I'm going to the liquor store here shortly. I want to buy some beer thats smooth. I like the ones that are not real bitter. I don't know which kinds to get. I figured I would get a couple different brands.

Thanks for y'alls help. :)

Flagstaffsooner
7/23/2007, 02:03 PM
Shiner Bock.

TopDaugIn2000
7/23/2007, 02:03 PM
skip the beer at get the new smirnoff cosmo's. YWIA

silverwheels
7/23/2007, 02:04 PM
Newcastle Brown Ale.

dolemitesooner
7/23/2007, 02:07 PM
Pacifico.....

IronSooner
7/23/2007, 02:10 PM
St. Arnold's Lawnmower if you can find it - brewed in Houston.

OKC-SLC
7/23/2007, 02:19 PM
obligatory

...git u Sum natty...

mxATVracer10
7/23/2007, 02:23 PM
obligatory

...git u Sum natty...

Lol, I was gonna say whatever you do, DONT take olevet's advice on this one :texan:

Turd_Ferguson
7/23/2007, 02:27 PM
Coors "mule ****" light. Taste like sugared water. Just beware of the headache it will cause.

Czar Soonerov
7/23/2007, 02:28 PM
Blue Moon

dolemitesooner
7/23/2007, 02:29 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a253/sgtheartman/millerchill.jpg
I had one of these saturday and they are insanly smooth and very good

dolemitesooner
7/23/2007, 02:34 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a253/sgtheartman/samjackson.jpg

Howzit
7/23/2007, 02:47 PM
From the makers of Fat Tire...

http://www.thebrewsite.com/images/skinny_dip.jpg

olevetonahill
7/23/2007, 02:48 PM
obligatory

...git u Sum natty...
Ya read My mind lol
:D

rufnek05
7/23/2007, 02:53 PM
anything flying dog

JohnnyMack
7/23/2007, 02:53 PM
Stella Artois

JohnnyMack
7/23/2007, 02:54 PM
anything flying dog

Love for the Doggystyle Pale Ale?

That stuff's pretty good.

frankensooner
7/23/2007, 02:55 PM
Steer clear of Scotch Buy and Pearls.

yermom
7/23/2007, 02:55 PM
i'm with doleo

Pacifico is just good beer

it's my default beer :)

rufnek05
7/23/2007, 02:56 PM
loss lake. pig's eye.

StuIsTheMan
7/23/2007, 03:03 PM
Red Hook ESB:pop:

Okla-homey
7/23/2007, 03:17 PM
I need some suggestions. I'm going to the liquor store here shortly. I want to buy some beer thats smooth. I like the ones that are not real bitter. I don't know which kinds to get. I figured I would get a couple different brands.

Mrs Homey is currently quite fond of Stella Artois, a delightful Belgian lager which has recently re-appeared for sale in Oklahoma. She likes it for precisely the reasons you suggest.

OU4LIFE
7/23/2007, 03:19 PM
Sam Adams White ale if they have it.

the summer ale's not bad either.

and you can NEVAR EVAR go wrong with Dos Equis XX amber.

NormanPride
7/23/2007, 03:20 PM
Who's going to be drinking this? Are they into beer, or is this just a social thing? If it's a gift, you can try some of the micro-brewed stuff that people suggested and get away with it. If not, it's better to stick with better-known brands. There are a bunch of types of beer that you can go for, but if you don't like bitter, stay away from darker beers. Anything with "Porter", "Stout", or "Guinness" in them is out.

Amber beers like Shiner Bock are nice, but they can be bitter too if you don't know what you're getting. Wheat beers are good for starters, so look for those. Newcastle is good, as well as Shiner.

Pale beers and ales are probably the least bitter, but they are also the most crisp. If you want a pale that doesn't have too much bite, try Sam Adams or the Sam Adams Summer Ale. Bass is also pretty good.

But if you're just looking to pick up a cold 6 for a party, drop by a QuickTrip and pick up some Chill like doleo said. It's not too shabby for the cheap stuff.

JohnnyMack
7/23/2007, 03:23 PM
Mrs Homey is currently quite fond of Stella Artois, a delightful Belgian lager which has recently re-appeared for sale in Oklahoma. She likes it for precisely the reasons you suggest.

Meh.

sooner_born_1960
7/23/2007, 03:29 PM
Sorry, mama, I can't help here. While I'm certainly a beer drinker, I'm not a Connoisseur by any stretch. I've had most everything mentioned in this thread, and drank them all without complaint.

Harry Beanbag
7/23/2007, 04:32 PM

I'll second this one. I've been drinking the crap out of it this summer.

JohnnyMack
7/23/2007, 04:50 PM
You might also try this:

http://www.dogfish.com/brewings/Seasonal_Beers/Festina_Peche/56/index.htm

It's pretty much the new "it" beer of the summer.

Although it's a chick beer and I don't think you can get it in OK.

SoonerBOI
7/23/2007, 05:21 PM
Sam Adams Boston lager

TheHumanAlphabet
7/23/2007, 05:23 PM
Anything from Leinenkugel if you can find it.

Fraggle145
7/23/2007, 06:08 PM
I dont think you can buy Stella Artois around here anymore... I heard unfortunately for them Anheuser Busch bought them, which means the formula is going to get changed and it wont be as good. I couldnt verify it on the site though, although I found out that they are the importers of Grolsch...

Still I'd recommend Stella. Heineken is not a bad beer and currently they have mini kegs around town in the liquor stores for about $25. It really does depend on who is drinking it. Stay away from the ESB and India Pale Ale's. I have found these to be quite an acquired taste due to the insane amount of hops in them (although I am quite fond of them). Left Hand's Sawtooth is also in the category, although if you like hops then it is REALLY good. Sam Adams Boston Lager and Sam Adams Light are both smooth easy drinking beers. IF you are looking for a fruitier beer get Sam Adams Cherry wheat, Hoeggarden or Blue Moon. Leinenkugel is good too although some of their beers can be a bit sweet for me, the Sunset Wheat falls along the lines of Blue Moon. Dos Equis and Dos Equis Amber are both good beers. Sierra Nevada is a damn good beer.

Dont get that Miller Chill ****. it tastes like a sour lime soda. JMO. Anheuser Busch did it better with Tequiza and even that wasnt that good.

So give us some speks Mama, tell us whos drinkin' it and we can help better.

Fraggle145
7/23/2007, 06:09 PM

Its back? well thats good to know. :D

JohnnyMack
7/23/2007, 06:45 PM
Its back? well thats good to know. :D

Had it on tap at the Brook on Friday night in fact.

soonerbrat
7/23/2007, 07:11 PM
Hoegaarden

KC//CRIMSON
7/23/2007, 07:27 PM

That's a really good summer time beer. If she's in Oklahoma, she won't be able to buy it though.:mad:

SoonerGirl06
7/23/2007, 07:44 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a253/sgtheartman/millerchill.jpg
I had one of these saturday and they are insanly smooth and very good

I have to agree. I drank these all weekend long... YUM! YUM! YUM!

phead903
7/23/2007, 08:06 PM

Ummm - except for the occasional margarita...:D

Fraggle145
7/23/2007, 08:22 PM

vomit. definitely drink for your inner SicEm'.

GottaHavePride
7/23/2007, 08:25 PM
Any hefeweizen. Pyramid, Boulevard, Franziskaner, Paulaner, etc. etc.

AlbqSooner
7/23/2007, 08:41 PM
Dang Mama! You are out of the post-op meds ALREADY???

SoonerGirl06
7/23/2007, 08:48 PM
vomit. definitely drink for your inner SicEm'.

Have you had one? Really... they're quite refreshing...

JohnnyMack
7/23/2007, 09:14 PM
I think even KC and I would agree that you'd have to have multiple screws loose for you to order a Miller Chill.

SoonerGirl06
7/23/2007, 09:34 PM
Oh hell... then don't drink 'em if you don't like 'em. I however will drink them and drink them often 'cause I like 'em. So there! :P

Fraggle145
7/23/2007, 09:41 PM
Have you had one? Really... they're quite refreshing...

Oh yeah I had one... It was the biggest bottle of beer I have ever drank. And it was still 12oz. I choked it down because I paid for it. Like I said it tasted like a sour lime soda. :(

you enjoy, dont forget about Tequiza. this has been tried before. What's wrong with a corona with a lime?

SoonerGirl06
7/23/2007, 09:59 PM
Oh yeah I had one... It was the biggest bottle of beer I have ever drank. And it was still 12oz. I choked it down because I paid for it. Like I said it tasted like a sour lime soda. :(

you enjoy, dont forget about Tequiza. this has been tried before. What's wrong with a corona with a lime?

Nothing's wrong with a Corona with a lime. In fact I enjoy drinking those alot. But that doesn't mean I can't like Miller Chill... does it?

Harry Beanbag
7/23/2007, 10:01 PM
What's wrong with a corona with a lime?

You mean besides the fact that Corona tastes like stale urine? ;) I'll stick with Pacifico or Bohemia with a lime.

Soonerus
7/23/2007, 10:21 PM
Heineken...

John Kochtoston
7/23/2007, 10:24 PM
http://40ouncebeer.com/extrapicts/generic.jpg

Fantastic.

Fraggle145
7/24/2007, 07:47 AM
You mean besides the fact that Corona tastes like stale urine? ;) I'll stick with Pacifico or Bohemia with a lime.

Pacifico is a damn good beer. :D

springs sooner
7/24/2007, 08:26 AM
anything flying dog

I took a tour of the brewry last weekend. Free tour FREE BEER and free stuff.

the old scratch is pretty darn good.

Fraggle145
7/24/2007, 08:37 AM
Free beer is the best beer.

sooneron
7/24/2007, 09:12 AM
I like Modelo Especial for a nice light summer beer. Any of the Heffeweizens mentioned earlier are very good too.

Don't get Shiner, it's the most over-hyped crap back in those woods. Thank God it hasn't gotten up here, yet. The t-sips would be beside themselves.

olevetonahill
7/24/2007, 09:58 AM
I took a tour of the brewry last weekend. Free tour FREE BEER and free stuff.

the old scratch is pretty darn good.
Wheres this free BEER of which you speak ???????????????? :D

the_ouskull
7/24/2007, 10:18 AM
Kells.

the_ouskull

springs sooner
7/24/2007, 10:33 AM
Wheres this free BEER of which you speak ???????????????? :D

at the brewery in Denver. They gave me a beer to take with me while i walked around the joint then we ended up in the tasting room where they give you samples of every beer they make. I took the 1pm tour and did not eat lunch so i was pretty toasted by time i left. I think i am going again this weekend.

sorry it was only their beer no Natty.

Fraggle145
7/24/2007, 10:36 AM
You been to Tommy Knocker Breweries?

olevetonahill
7/24/2007, 10:39 AM
at the brewery in Denver. They gave me a beer to take with me while i walked around the joint then we ended up in the tasting room where they give you samples of every beer they make. I took the 1pm tour and did not eat lunch so i was pretty toasted by time i left. I think i am going again this weekend.

sorry it was only their beer no Natty.
Well hell I aint drivin to Denvar for FREE beer then .
The Bums .

Fraggle145
7/24/2007, 10:42 AM
http://www.tommyknocker.com/ourBeer.html

If you get a chance drink the Jack Whacker Wheat

Xstnlsooner
7/24/2007, 11:24 AM
Hey, some of yous peeple actually have good taste in beer.

Oh yeah, the free beer is at Hairy's house. Tell him I sent ya.

springs sooner
7/24/2007, 11:32 AM

i have been to the tommy brewery, we stop there on our back from baseball tournements. I like their beer but most of my friends do not. It is an aquired taste.

Dont think i have had the Jack Whacker Wheat. I will try it though.

sooner_born_1960
7/24/2007, 11:36 AM

I'm not too picky. Just surprise me. ;)

WILBURJIM
7/24/2007, 11:53 AM
I know this is late but..

Smooth, without bitterness? Any Ice Beer, I think fits the bill.

We eat at a Japanese Steakhouse that serves Asahi Super Dry that is not bitter at all, no aftertaste, but I would call it "crisp" rather than smooth. Very simple drinkable beer. Beer purists would say "it has no taste," well it's good cold washin' down wasabi or hot mustard.

olevetonahill
7/24/2007, 11:55 AM

I aint drinkin Nuthin named " jack whacker " ya perv .

Fraggle145
7/24/2007, 12:39 PM
I aint drinkin Nuthin named " jack whacker " ya perv .

heh more for me. :D

Its brewed with lemongrass has the lemon flavor without the need of additional lemons to the beer.

Another beer that I enjoy is Sapporo. Asahi is nice for washing it down.

dolemitesooner
7/24/2007, 12:58 PM
Its to bad we were not drinking them together....How you doin?;)

dolemitesooner
7/24/2007, 12:59 PM
Hey harry some people like the taste of stale urine bitch

silverwheels
7/24/2007, 01:01 PM
Corona is the Michael Bay of beer.

dolemitesooner
7/24/2007, 01:03 PM
Corona is the Michael Bay of beer.
I cannot argue with that ...Pacifico is 10 times better

silverwheels
7/24/2007, 01:05 PM
Pacifico is pretty good. I like Negra Modelo as well.

If you have to add lime to Corona to be able to drink it, don't drink it in the first place. Drink something that actually tastes good.

dolemitesooner
7/24/2007, 01:10 PM
Thats all fine and dandy if you dont like Corna...Put if a chick likes it I aint going to say ****.....I am trying to get mine man. Now stfu

silverwheels
7/24/2007, 01:12 PM
That's what Smirnoff Cosmos are for. Ask TD2K.

dolemitesooner
7/24/2007, 01:14 PM
She couldn't handle this trust me I KNOW

phead903
7/24/2007, 06:52 PM

Or Tecate or Negro Modelo....

swardboy
7/24/2007, 08:41 PM
Enough suggestions Mama?

Zbird
7/25/2007, 09:32 PM
Polygamy Porter brewed in Utah Their slogan is "Why have just one?" Tell your wife to bring home 6 more when she goes shopping.

MamaMia
7/26/2007, 09:47 AM
I got the Pacifico and the wheat version of the Flying Dog this time. I plan on trying some of the other suggestions as well. The folks at my place, as well as myself, thought the Flying dog was just awful. It ended up down the drain. There is something very wrong with that beer. :P

The Pacifico was a big hit though. It was very smooth and tasty. I even had two. :D

StoopTroup
7/26/2007, 10:40 AM
http://www.falstaffbrewing.com/_borders/billybeercan.gifhttp://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/2/2d/280px-Billybeer.jpg

springs sooner
7/26/2007, 12:44 PM
The folks at my place, as well as myself, thought the Flying dog was just awful. It ended up down the drain. There is something very wrong with that beer. :P :D

whoa now why did you have to go and do that? i am sure someone on this here board would have volunteered to "dispose " of properly for you. Normally i would assess you 50 pushups or something. but you are getting off with a very strong warning.

silverwheels
7/26/2007, 12:46 PM
Yeah, you NEVER pour out beer. The very idea makes me sad in the pants.

dolemitesooner
7/26/2007, 02:52 PM
I got the Pacifico and the wheat version of the Flying Dog this time. I plan on trying some of the other suggestions as well. The folks at my place, as well as myself, thought the Flying dog was just awful. It ended up down the drain. There is something very wrong with that beer. :P

The Pacifico was a big hit though. It was very smooth and tasty. I even had two. :D
witf are you doing...I told you that that flying daog **** was bad....you make me a sad panda

WestAustinSooner
7/26/2007, 03:24 PM
Warsteiner all the way. The German's and Czech's still make the smoothest, best beer in the world.

Whoever said Shiner needs to be beaten. That's central Texas brew - i.e. Longhorn types. Carlos Alvarez and his Corona franchise bought out Shiner several years back. They changed the original recipie to market it nationally (they used to not sell it anywhere but Texas and the Austin bar in Washington D.C.) Anyway, it is ****water now. Horrible hangover.

Harry Beanbag
7/26/2007, 03:54 PM
Warsteiner all the way.

Dunkel is good, but I don't care too much for the Verum.

Harry Beanbag
7/26/2007, 03:55 PM
http://www.falstaffbrewing.com/_borders/billybeercan.gifhttp://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/2/2d/280px-Billybeer.jpg

I saw two unopened cans of this stuff in an antique store out here last year. I laughed and kept on walkin' down the aisle.

Harry Beanbag
7/26/2007, 11:25 PM
Howzit had Stella and I had Newcastle on draft tonight. I was pleased, Howzit seemed happy enough with his choice. And there were hooters popping out of scotch plaid bikini tops with tramp stamps serving them to us. :)

Howzit
7/26/2007, 11:53 PM
Good times. :)

tommieharris91
7/27/2007, 10:41 AM
Olevet, if you take the Anheuser-Busch tour in St. Louis, I'm sure they will find a way to get you some freshly brewed Natural Light.

Rogue
8/5/2007, 02:58 PM
I'm glad to see some of you hillbillies enjoying Stella Artois so they'll keep up production. I've been diggin' that beer.

All the arguin' about Mexican beers and no mention of Carta Blanca yet? That's my favorite from our cousins down south.

2 of my favorite domestic beers not mentioned are Yeungling and PBR. Course, you wouldn't take PBR to someone's house unless you wanted to keep all of it for yourself. Beer snobs won't touch it for some reason, but I like me some PBR.

Can you get Yeungling in OK?

olevetonahill
8/5/2007, 03:13 PM
I saw two unopened cans of this stuff in an antique store out here last year. I laughed and kept on walkin' down the aisle.
I have an Unopened can of that crap ,Its empty . I think Billy was there the day this can was made :D

VeeJay
8/5/2007, 03:32 PM
Mama Mia said back in July she was going out in a little bit for some beer. I don't think she's waited this long for advice.

Drunks.

olevetonahill
8/5/2007, 03:42 PM
Mama Mia said back in July she was going out in a little bit for some beer. I don't think she's waited this long for advice.

Drunks.
You must not be Married , Ever see a woman make up thier mind that fast on anything ?:D