PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think the Big 12 will bite it in 2007?

Tear Down This Wall
7/23/2007, 01:58 PM
I'm not convinced that any team in the Big 12 is capable of completing for a national title this year. Anyone else?

I do think Baylor stands a great chance of having another non-winning season. That's the only real guarantee in the Big 12 for 2007.

By the way, I'm thinking Bradford will be the guy at QB for us. I hope he's good enough for us to be able to redshirt the kid from Michigan. Halzle...I just don't see that he has enough arm strength - therefore, he'd be a great QB at Texas Tech where he could throw 700 5-yards passes per season.

I'm interested to see the new JUCO linebacker, Mike Reed. At 6-1, 250 and able to run.... This will be another Torrance Marshall.

I'm also interested in seeing whom our opponents kick off to - Smith or Iglesias. Iglesias averaged 25.9 per return last year, Smith 22.6. Team will think they're safely kicking away from Smith...they'll be surprised.

The Separating the Men from the Boys game will be Oklahoma State versus Georgia - a real head coach, Mark Richt versus what passes for head coach in Stoolwater. The will be an embarrassing beating for the Big 12.

htownsooner7
7/23/2007, 02:03 PM
I disagree with your 'bite it' standard. OU and UT are both top 10 teams. Nebraska, A&M, Missouri, and OSU will all grace the top 25 at some point and 3 of those 4 will end up there. 5 in the top 25 and 2 in the top 10 is a strong conference. Also, whoever wins the RRS will be in the top 5 in that game and in great shape for the NC..

Tear Down This Wall
7/23/2007, 02:11 PM
I hope you're right.

fwsooner22
7/23/2007, 02:18 PM
I'm not convinced that any team in the Big 12 is capable of completing for a national title this year. Anyone else?

I do think Baylor stands a great chance of having another non-winning season. That's the only real guarantee in the Big 12 for 2007.

By the way, I'm thinking Bradford will be the guy at QB for us. I hope he's good enough for us to be able to redshirt the kid from Michigan. Halzle...I just don't see that he has enough arm strength - therefore, he'd be a great QB at Texas Tech where he could throw 700 5-yards passes per season.

I'm interested to see the new JUCO linebacker, Mike Reed. At 6-1, 250 and able to run.... This will be another Torrance Marshall.

I'm also interested in seeing whom our opponents kick off to - Smith or Iglesias. Iglesias averaged 25.9 per return last year, Smith 22.6. Team will think they're safely kicking away from Smith...they'll be surprised.

The Separating the Men from the Boys game will be Oklahoma State versus Georgia - a real head coach, Mark Richt versus what passes for head coach in Stoolwater. The will be an embarrassing beating for the Big 12.

No offense to anyone but I am of the opinion that this "who is the best conference" is a media driven phenomena. I think they (networks and regional newspapers) play that stuff up until a point when "we'" start to care about it.

I never worried or even thought of whether the Big 8 was better than the Southwest, Pac 10, SEC or any other conference. Sure, I want the Big 12 to play well but in the end if we win all our games we will play in the final game (at least most of the time). I personally will never be a "fan" of a conference.

Before any of you experts tell me how the conference has to be good for us to have strength of schedule and ultimately a high ranking. I understand the BCS system (at least to a point). I just don't spend anytime worrying about whether the conference as a whole will do well.

As for Mike Reed......I am with ya, cannot wait to see him play...........

Rhino
7/23/2007, 02:27 PM
So long as Mike Reed even starts.

Or is able to keep his weight under control.

OSUAggie
7/23/2007, 02:32 PM
How far down is he from 270 or whatever it was when he initially reported?

The_Red_Patriot
7/23/2007, 02:46 PM

I dont agree at all.

This is the year that will mark the return of the Big 12. Just look at the teams

North--Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas State, Kansas
South--OU, OSU, Texas, A&M, Tech

Im telling you, the big 12 is back

CatfishSooner
7/23/2007, 03:06 PM
:confused: Kansas????

JohnnyMack
7/23/2007, 03:13 PM
I think we're lucky to have 4 teams ranked at season's end.

Don't think we have a team to contend for a title either.

SteelClip49
7/23/2007, 03:15 PM
I think it's safe to say the Big 12 will have a BCS participant. ;)

The Maestro
7/23/2007, 03:16 PM
The whole "conference" thing makes me laugh, too. Besides, every conference has their issues. The SEC always seems to be the deepest, but they still have the Vandy's, Ole Miss's, Mississippi State, Kentucky, etc.

The Big Ten? Michigan should be favored, Wisconsin is decent, Ohio State is rebuilding and then what?

ACC. Um...Wake Forest won it last year. 'Nuff said.

I will give the Pac 10 props for improvement, but still big holes throughout.

Big 12 South is about as tough as any division in college football. Still think the North has some catching up to do, but hard to compete with the balance of the South.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/23/2007, 03:18 PM
No offense to anyone but I am of the opinion that this "who is the best conference" is a media driven phenomena. I think they (networks and regional newspapers) play that stuff up until a point when "we'" start to care about it.

I never worried or even thought of whether the Big 8 was better than the Southwest, Pac 10, SEC or any other conference. Sure, I want the Big 12 to play well but in the end if we win all our games we will play in the final game (at least most of the time). I personally will never be a "fan" of a conference.

Before any of you experts tell me how the conference has to be good for us to have strength of schedule and ultimately a high ranking. I understand the BCS system (at least to a point). I just don't spend anytime worrying about whether the conference as a whole will do well.

As for Mike Reed......I am with ya, cannot wait to see him play...........Right on! If the conference "does well", that means we prolly haven't recruited as well as we could have, and our conference rivals have beat us on some top recruits. As long as the Sooners beat everyone we play, I'll be thrilled. I don't give a flip about the rest of the Big 12.

DalHorn
7/23/2007, 03:45 PM
too much conference allegiance makes us look like the inbreds in the southeast. I have no real reason to root for Nebraska other than it helps UT's SOS I suppose. But outright cheering for other teams in your conference should be confied to the special education conference.

StuIsTheMan
7/23/2007, 03:52 PM
My prediction...

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/1605/bobncpi9.png (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/)
nuff said!

Fraggle145
7/23/2007, 03:53 PM
How far down is he from 270 or whatever it was when he initially reported?

good question. Is he back in shape? or has had too many :twinkies:

:pop:

htownsooner7
7/23/2007, 04:08 PM
In the Big 12, we really don't have to worry about it. Last year, I didn't think it was a great conference but, by year's end, we beat 2 top 25 teams (when we played them) on the road and one in the conference championship (kinda on the road, damn they were everywhere). Texas was ranked 7 when we played them. We are guaranteed a good schedule every year because of the conference..

cvsooner
7/23/2007, 04:11 PM
I see a real dog fight coming up in the months ahead. Nebraska, Missouri and Kansas State should all be fairly good.

Texas and OU are the cream of the South, but A & M and OSU will be more than a little competitive.

I can see a year like last season where a team with one loss wins the Big 12. Maybe even two losses.

People talk about our schedule being favorable...but looking at the schedule, my instincts tell me playing the key games we have at home may--MAY--allow us to escape with only one loss. I hope I'm wrong, but I just have a feeling that there are going to be a lot of nail-biters this season. Probably at least one game in overtime.

I hope my heart can stand it. I'm longing for the ol' beat 'em by 42 points days....

SoonerBOI
7/23/2007, 04:13 PM
I am just keeping my fingers crossed until out QB situation is settled. The game against Miami is vital.

OSUAggie
7/23/2007, 04:24 PM
I agree with Red Patriot to a point, but I think this is the year that sets up the Big XII being "back"...

Most of the talent in the league is in the Soph/Jr range, especially in the South, so I think the 2008 and 2009 seasons will be the height of the Big XII "resurgence" or whatever it'll be labeled.

In the 12 marquee non-con match ups (CU vs. FSU, ASU; ISU vs. Iowa; KSU @ AU; Mizzou vs. Illini, Ole Miss; Neb @ Wake, vs. USC; OU vs. UM; OSU @ UGA; UT vs. TCU; aTm @ UM), I think the Big XII goes something like 7-5 or 8-4. The national perception of the conference will largely hinge on the more-hyped matchups (OU-UM, aTm-UM, OSU-UGA, etc), so those are obviously more important as far as perception is concerned so voters will get off the SEC's tit.

I know a lot of people don't give a rat's *** how the opponents perform, but it'd be nice to have the national voters be under the perception (true or not) that the Big XII is ridiculously difficult to provide leniency for votes in the polls, which currently only exists for the SEC and Notre Dame.

htownsooner7
7/23/2007, 04:52 PM
The UT vs. TCU game is bigger than the OSU-UGA game. UT is better than UGA and TCU is better than OSU.

JohnnyMack
7/23/2007, 04:56 PM
I see a real dog fight coming up in the months ahead. Nebraska, Missouri and Kansas State should all be fairly good.

Texas and OU are the cream of the South, but A & M and OSU will be more than a little competitive.

I can see a year like last season where a team with one loss wins the Big 12. Maybe even two losses.

People talk about our schedule being favorable...but looking at the schedule, my instincts tell me playing the key games we have at home may--MAY--allow us to escape with only one loss. I hope I'm wrong, but I just have a feeling that there are going to be a lot of nail-biters this season. Probably at least one game in overtime.

I hope my heart can stand it. I'm longing for the ol' beat 'em by 42 points days....

Ron Mexico?

LittleWingSooner
7/23/2007, 05:08 PM
The Big 12 should be improved.

Texas only gets better on offense. Defense will be athletic and solid.

Texas Tech will only get better with Harrell. There's a chance he's the best QB they've had in that system.

Texas A&M may be better but the Franchione factor may hurt them. They are more experienced on both sides of the ball. If you look at the experience they are probably the 2nd best team in the South. Coaching could seriously hurt them here.

OSU will be better but they have a terrible schedule. I could see them having about the same record or worse record, with a better team. Losing D'Juan Woods will hurt them and losing some key offensive linemen will hurt. But they do have a returning QB and some solid running backs. The defense should get better but it'll still be bad.

Baylor will always be Baylor.

Nebraska will be about the same. They will be hurt by the lack of coaching

Mizzouri is the same as Nebraska. They do have a better QB IMO.

Colorado could be the most improved team in the league. It still depends a lot on the QB play. Last year they didn't have a passing threat at QB. That has got to change in Hawkins second year.

The Kansas teams will be average. KSU has one of the least talked about young QB. Kansas has some decent players. I don't think they have the athletes on defense to hang with the top of the division.

ISU will have a tough year with a new coaching staff/

Monster Zero
7/23/2007, 07:08 PM
I am just keeping my fingers crossed until out QB situation is settled. The game against Miami is vital.
I like your tagline. Please provide book, chapter and verse for my edification. Thanks.

trwxxa
7/23/2007, 08:01 PM
Overall, the big 12 wasn't much in 05 or 06 so it is hard to say they will "bite it" this year. Another matchup this year that will make it look bad is K-State @ Auburn.

The game that will help the Big 12 perception is Nebbish beating USC. It wouldn't hurt if we and aTm both beat Miami.

AlbqSooner
7/23/2007, 08:20 PM
I like your tagline. Please provide book, chapter and verse for my edification. Thanks.
Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction.

Ash
7/23/2007, 11:21 PM
Meh. TDTW is just a sunshine pumper.

Rhino
7/24/2007, 12:01 AM
How far down is he from 270 or whatever it was when he initially reported? Reported in January at 265. Got down to 245-250 in the spring. Ballooned to 270+ after spring ball. Reportedly back down to 255ish now.

OUstud
7/24/2007, 12:15 AM
Like the past few years, A&M and NU will lose games by outcoaching themselves, KU and KSU will hover around 6 wins, OU and Texas will pretty much play for the conference title Oct. 6, ISU, CU, and BU will suck, and Aggy, Mizzou, and Tech will hang around the 8 win mark, the zenith of their programs.

I have a feeling Aggy will beat UGA, then get beaten by Troy. I just think UGA isn't going to be much better than last year, but Troy is a trap. Just ask Mizzou.

goingoneight
7/24/2007, 12:18 AM
It would be kinda funny to see aggy's "world's greatest offense" get shut out in SEC country... :D

Tear Down This Wall
7/24/2007, 11:34 AM
I think people underrate Kansas State. That QB they have is better than just "good." Ask the Longhorns.

Kansas will suck it. Suck it, Kansas, suck it! Aimless football program, suuuuuuuck it! And, give us our OL coach back, fags.

JohnnyMack
7/24/2007, 02:17 PM

:les:ENGLISH MOTHER****ER!!! DO YOU SPEAK IT?!?!?!

Ash
7/24/2007, 02:19 PM
I think people underrate Kansas State. That QB they have is better than just "good." Ask the Longhorns.

Kansas will suck it. Suck it, Kansas, suck it! Aimless football program, suuuuuuuck it! And, give us our OL coach back, fags.

I don't know, I'm still waiting to see if the Kitty's QB was that good or if the whorn secondary was that stoned...er, was as bad as their stats implied.

JohnnyMack
7/24/2007, 02:20 PM
I don't know, I'm still waiting to see if the Kitty's QB was that good or if the whorn secondary was that stoned...er, was as bad as their stats implied.

I think that dude is a gamer. I think they could be the second best team in the North this year.

LittleWingSooner
7/24/2007, 02:24 PM

KU has a really easy schedule. They play Nebraska and Missouri in Lawrence. Don't play OU or Texas. Their toughest road game is either OSU or Texas A&M.

The toughest teams the play out of conference are Central Michigan and Toledo.

Ash
7/24/2007, 02:35 PM
I think that dude is a gamer. I think they could be the second best team in the North this year.

He might be that good, I'm not saying he's not. Just a bit skeptical because he abused one of the worst secondaries in the country last year.

I'll be surprised if KState is second in the north, but who knows, I think Missouri will be right there battling for the top spot.

TexasLidig8r
7/24/2007, 03:03 PM
My Longhorns are a year away from being a presence, again, on the national level. Too much youth in the secondary, offensive line is not yet cohesive, offense is in transition from the zone read days of VY to more a pro style shotgun offense.

2008 and beyond oughtta be real interesting.

OU's question marks are well known... quarterback, will running back by committee work... and... there are question marks surrounding your DEs and linebackers.

10 - 2 will be a very good, rebuilding type year for us.

JohnnyMack
7/24/2007, 03:10 PM
I think Missouri will be right there battling for the top spot.

You believe that then I say this is the year that the Arizona Cardinals do it. And the Lions. Seriously.

;)

Ash
7/24/2007, 03:21 PM
You believe that then I say this is the year that the Arizona Cardinals do it. And the Lions. Seriously.

;)

Heh, I should have added that I think Nebraska will be in the top spot, and Mizzou will be battling for ONE of the top spots.

I know it's a bandwagon pick, but I IMHO the North is a crapshoot anyway because you have one decent team and a logjam of almost decent to not-that-good teams. I don't think any one team is running away with the division. Mizzou could be in the thick of it at the end.

North = :twinkies:

JohnnyMack
7/24/2007, 03:30 PM
Heh, I should have added that I think Nebraska will be in the top spot, and Mizzou will be battling for ONE of the top spots.

I know it's a bandwagon pick, but I IMHO the North is a crapshoot anyway because you have one decent team and a logjam of almost decent to not-that-good teams. I don't think any one team is running away with the division. Mizzou could be in the thick of it at the end.

North = :twinkies:

I'll say:

1. NU
2. KSU
3. MU
4. CU
5. KU
6. ISU

Seamus
7/24/2007, 03:55 PM

Your answer here. (http://www.google.com/)

OSUAggie
7/24/2007, 03:59 PM
I'll say:

1. NU
2. KSU
3. MU
4. CU
5. KU
6. ISU

I agree with those North #'s, 'cept for maybe KSU being replaced by Mizzou or CU; I think it's a real battle for #2, with 3 losses likely for that position. I think Nebraska is at a level slightly above the other 3 or 4. The north seams really competitive, but it's not like an elite-level competitive.

If, on a scale of 1-10, I had to rate the 2007 Big XII teams, it'd be something like this (with arrows indicating the general direction the program is heading in my mind):

10 -
9 - OU^, Texas^
8 -
7 - Nebraska^, Texas A&M^
6 - Oklahoma State^, Texas Tech >
5 - Missouri>, Colorado^, Kansas>, Kansas State^
4 - Iowa State>
3 - Baylor>
2 -
1 -

JohnnyMack
7/24/2007, 04:14 PM
I agree with those North #'s, 'cept for maybe KSU being replaced by Mizzou or CU; I think it's a real battle for #2, with 3 losses likely for that position. I think Nebraska is at a level slightly above the other 3 or 4. The north seams really competitive, but it's not like an elite-level competitive.

Yeah I was pretty much figuring on NU ending up w/2 losses and the #2 team coming in at 5-3 and possibly being tied in terms of conference record with the #3 team. I just don't believe in Mizzou. I have nothing tangible to base my prediction on other than a gut feel (so I guess I should work for Athlon or S&S's eh?). It wouldn't surprise me if MU finished at 5-3 and in second, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they went Velveeta and ended up 3-5.

MU's conference schedule:

10/06 Nebraska TBD
10/13 at Oklahoma TBD
10/20 Texas Tech TBD
10/27 Iowa St TBD
11/03 at Colorado TBD
11/10 Texas A&M TBD
11/17 at Kansas St TBD
11/24 at Kansas TBD

I don't see a whole lot of gimmes on that slate.

OSUAggie
7/24/2007, 04:17 PM
The only gimme I see is ISU (who actually beat Mizzou last year), and I don't think Pinkel has ever finished above .500 in conference play, so I pretty much agree with the gut feeling that everyone except Big XII media members seem to have.