PDA

View Full Version : Jermie Calhoun interview

TMcGee86
7/23/2007, 01:39 PM
Video (http://www.dallasnews.com/video/dallasnews/sports/index.html?nvid=159967)

Nice to get an early from a top recruit, but I still dont know how I feel about kids like this that say their first choice was texass but it didn't work out.

Hopefully it motivates him to be that much better, but I hate to hear things like that.

He looks good though, and seems to have his head on straight.

My apologies if this has been posted but I searched and didn't see it.

IronSooner
7/23/2007, 04:29 PM
Got me beat on the incline bench.

Yeah, odd bit about UT, but then for a guy who grew up in texas, not the most surprising thing ever. Here's hoping his 4 years on the field erase any doubts he ever had.

sooner518
7/23/2007, 04:40 PM
sounds to me like he just grew up a UT fan but when it came to really look at schools and where he wanted to play, as opposed to just local allegiance, he liked OU better.

Harry Beanbag
7/23/2007, 04:50 PM
sounds to me like he just grew up a UT fan but when it came to really look at schools and where he wanted to play, as opposed to just local allegiance, he liked OU better.

One reason he liked OU better was because UT never offered him a scholarship.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/23/2007, 05:21 PM
Wonder if Mack will offer now he has committed to OU???

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/23/2007, 05:32 PM
Wonder if Mack will offer now he has committed to OU???Why did you say that?

goingoneight
7/23/2007, 09:40 PM
I have always worried about all the :texan:s we recruit. Seems for every three like AD (good players, good guys), there's a Rhett Bomar who brags about Texass HS ball, does whatever he wants, takes offers under the table, etc. I think if a guy is truly a star, go after him wherever he lives, but don't just whip out the Texass HS mag if someone de-commits or you end up with extra schollies. Too many schools do that. You never know if you're passing up a TRRW in California for a golden boy TFRW in Texass. One plays great, is a model citizen and future All-Pro; the other cries about playing time, fights with his teammates, and puts a neg on your program.

Ash
7/23/2007, 11:19 PM
I have always worried about all the :texan:s we recruit. Seems for every three like AD (good players, good guys), there's a Rhett Bomar who brags about Texass HS ball, does whatever he wants, takes offers under the table, etc. I think if a guy is truly a star, go after him wherever he lives, but don't just whip out the Texass HS mag if someone de-commits or you end up with extra schollies. Too many schools do that. You never know if you're passing up a TRRW in California for a golden boy TFRW in Texass. One plays great, is a model citizen and future All-Pro; the other cries about playing time, fights with his teammates, and puts a neg on your program.

Hmmm, my guess is that the coaches use a different system. But that's just a guess.

goingoneight
7/24/2007, 12:07 AM
it was an expression meaning that all our prospects seem to have tejas roots.

TMcGee86
7/24/2007, 05:36 PM
Wonder if Mack will offer now he has committed to OU???

That's kinda my fear.

Now I know OU will be fine whether this d00d shows up or not, it's not like we aren't loaded at RB, but still, if this is just a ploy to **** off texas and get them to offer, its a bs way to do it.

anyone know why ut didn't offer the guy a scholly? I didn't know they were so loaded at RB that they ignore the states top recruit.

PLaw
7/24/2007, 05:58 PM

Sounds exactly like what AD said. Going North of the Red River worked out pretty well for him. Meaning he didn't "Mack Daddied" like C. Sims, C. Benson, and others. It's always amazing how Mack constantly "out thinks himself" with great players. You don't see that with Bob who (like Barry) plays the best players regardless of rank, class or serial number.

BOOMER
PLaw

Harry Beanbag
7/24/2007, 06:00 PM
anyone know why ut didn't offer the guy a scholly? I didn't know they were so loaded at RB that they ignore the states top recruit.

Academic concerns is what I've heard, you know how Texas only recruits Rhodes scholars to play football. :rolleyes:

47straight
7/24/2007, 08:12 PM
but still, if this is just a ploy to **** off texas and get them to offer, its a bs way to do it.

It sure worked for James Kirkendoll.

utex74
7/25/2007, 01:36 AM
That's kinda my fear.

Now I know OU will be fine whether this d00d shows up or not, it's not like we aren't loaded at RB, but still, if this is just a ploy to **** off texas and get them to offer, its a bs way to do it.

Many people wish Mack had taken a chance with Calhoun. And none of us really know enough to quibble one way or the other. We heard Texas cancelled his visit via a text message after receiving copies of his transcripts. Word is the issue was academic and not wanting to risk a scholarship but Mack will not talk about it and he shouldn't.

Most of us wish the kid the best of luck except for one weekend in October. He looks like a good one.

BASSooner
7/25/2007, 01:50 AM
practices should shape him up when he arrives on campus.