PDA

View Full Version : car buying

jk the sooner fan
7/22/2007, 04:08 PM
there is just nothing about the experience that is pleasant..........save for driving off the lot in the new ride

KABOOKIE
7/22/2007, 05:13 PM
I actually enjoy it.

Norman Sooner
7/22/2007, 05:17 PM
I had an extremely pleasant experience my first time buying a car. It was at Knipplemeir, could ask for more from those guys..

jk the sooner fan
7/22/2007, 05:20 PM
i actually felt like i "won" this time...i had a figure in mind for my trade in, they came in a bit lower, so i just told them "the bottom line must be $1500 less or i'm driving home"

they played the back and forth game a bit so i took my keys and left.........when i got home, they were calling me to tell me they accepted my offer

its just a big game that i loathe participating in

there's also a fair amount of sitting around and waiting

i feel good about what i drove home with but the whole process wears me out

usmc-sooner
7/22/2007, 05:31 PM
I don't like it either but furniture shopping is worse than buying a car.

Frozen Sooner
7/22/2007, 05:35 PM
i actually felt like i "won" this time...i had a figure in mind for my trade in, they came in a bit lower, so i just told them "the bottom line must be $1500 less or i'm driving home"

they played the back and forth game a bit so i took my keys and left.........when i got home, they were calling me to tell me they accepted my offer

its just a big game that i loathe participating in

there's also a fair amount of sitting around and waiting

i feel good about what i drove home with but the whole process wears me out

Good job. There's things people need to be prepared to do when they're buying a car and walking away is one of them. Unfortunately, people get too emotionally attached to the car they're looking at and aren't willing to walk.

jk the sooner fan
7/22/2007, 05:38 PM
agreed on the furniture shopping

i told the car salesman that i didnt need to buy that car.....i didnt have a car payment and the one i had i could have driven till the wheels fell off

the manager comes in and tells me he feels good about the price they've set for their car and for my trade in

i tripped them up though, i had done a little homework before going out there - seen what carmax was selling my car for, so i knew the difference between that retail value and my trade in.....and the fact that the salesman told me "sure, carmax can always sell cars a little cheaper than we do"

ok thank you for that, i'll put that in my pocket till later

but i knew the guy was lying.....errr, using sales techniques, when he said "i'm going over my managers head to see if i can get you that price"

ummmmmm, sure you are - he told me to sit in my car in the parking lot for 3 minutes.......i waited for 4 and left when he didnt come out

jk the sooner fan
7/22/2007, 05:43 PM
but as good as i feel about the deal, i know they still made a profit, and thats fine.....thats their job......i dont think you ever walk out feeling like you got one over.......if you did, take another look at all the numbers! :)

OUHOMER
7/22/2007, 06:32 PM
My niece 25 yrs old. just bought a used jeep. She went up to the dealership and test drove it. They would not budge on the price and tried to ripe her off on her trade in. So she decided to wait and look around. She came over and I found some others thru Weokie. i told her to fill out an online application. She did was approved.Than went back to the dealership offered them several thousands less and said she would not take anything less than 5 grand for her trade in.

At first they said oh theres no way we can pull that off. She was tough and said No problem that there were 3 others in town that have the same jeep. Walked out , got in her car and before she got home they were calling to say they would do the deal.

this is where it gets good. There were no other jeeps in town like the one she was looking at. So she tells them that she is at another dealership working a deal now. if they could do something to sweeten the deal she would go back to them. they thru in an extended warranty:D

OUHOMER
7/22/2007, 06:34 PM
She did get below blue book price. Even the loan officer at Weokie was surprised. but Timing is everything on these deals

Sooner_Bob
7/22/2007, 06:36 PM
Heh . . . we'll be in the market for a new ride here in a few months I'm sure, so I might be calling your niece to help us find one. :D Our car and extended cab truck just aren't cutting it anymore.

OUHOMER
7/22/2007, 06:44 PM
I think what really helped her was.
1. she had the load pre-approved and did not have to listen to there BS. basiclly she just had to right them a check.

2. Gas prices were about 3 bucks a gallon and jeeps were not flying off the lots.

jk the sooner fan
7/22/2007, 07:01 PM
yes yes yes, pre-approved is the way to go

i'm also of the opinion that there are very few circumstances where buying a new car is a good investment....so i went with a certified pre-owned, got a 3 year 100K warranty on top of it

r5TPsooner
7/22/2007, 07:53 PM
I actually enjoy it.

Agreed! If you know what you're doing and have the proper information at your disposal, it's quite fun and easy. It's not like the stealership forces you to buy a certain car or sign your name on the dotted line if you don't want to.

If the deal doesn't feel right then walk. Better yet, buy at Carmax.

hurricane'bone
7/22/2007, 09:21 PM
I'd contribute to this conversation but I don't want to pull a Bruce.

KABOOKIE
7/22/2007, 09:27 PM
Agreed! If you know what you're doing and have the proper information at your disposal, it's quite fun and easy. It's not like the stealership forces you to buy a certain car or sign your name on the dotted line if you don't want to.

If the deal doesn't feel right then walk. Better yet, buy at Carmax.

Heh. Honestly this thread couldn't have come at a better time. I just flew down to Tulsa today and agreed to buy a new (for me anyway ;) ) vehicle.

Like others have said pre-approved at a low interest rate is the way to go and know the prices of what you're looking for. Autotrader.com is a great way to see what people are selling their cars for. I had been looking for cars for about 3 weeks and knew what to expect on prices. Just last week, the type of car I was looking for came up in my home town. I couldn't resist and had to go look at it even though it was at a dealership. I took it for a test drive and afterwards the dealer shot me a price about 7 grand higher than what vehicles on Autotrader were going for. You should have seen this weasel squirm when I showed him the print outs of 5 vehicles at MY price. Needless to say the "deal" didn't go through. :D

jk the sooner fan
7/22/2007, 09:31 PM
yep, if you're buying a used (or "pre-owned"), then you definitely want to do some internet research on the going prices

Jimminy Crimson
7/22/2007, 10:10 PM
so jk, the suspense is killing us, what'd ya get?

jk the sooner fan
7/22/2007, 10:11 PM
i upgraded from a 98 es 300 to a 2002 es 300

Jimminy Crimson
7/22/2007, 10:26 PM
congrats! can't go wrong with a toyota product...

jk the sooner fan
7/22/2007, 10:28 PM
nope, you cant

Jimminy Crimson
7/22/2007, 10:32 PM
not to threadjack, but i'm about to make the jump back to the toyota family from the land of euromobiles.

i can't wait

RacerX
7/22/2007, 10:33 PM
NASCAR baby!!!!!

sanantoniosooner
Toyota is the Cadillac of cars.

jk the sooner fan
not to threadjack, but i'm about to make the jump back to the toyota family from the land of euromobiles.

i can't wait

lexus toyota or toyota toyota?

the sales dude was actually a good guy, just trying to earn a living, but he told me he was from new orleans and said that the police "took" or "commandeered" a buttload of luxury vehicles from the dealership he worked at in NO - caddies, etc....

Jimminy Crimson
7/22/2007, 10:37 PM
lexus toyota or toyota toyota?

I've narrowed it down to the Lexus GX470 or a Toyota 4Runner.

Just depends on if I find one a year or three old at the right price/color/options.

My first car was a 4Runner, don't know why I didn't stick with the brand...

jk the sooner fan
7/22/2007, 10:38 PM
i love the lexus......you ought to check out sewelllexus.com - sewell down here in dallas has a huge selection of pre-owned

Jimminy Crimson
7/22/2007, 10:43 PM
i love the lexus......you ought to check out sewelllexus.com - sewell down here in dallas has a huge selection of pre-owned

Due to my time at SMU, I became aqquainted with a Sewell...

I'll definately give her a call and ask who to talk to! :cool:

colleyvillesooner
7/23/2007, 09:11 AM
We just joined the Toyota Family as well. Got the misses a 2004 Solora SLE. She loves it, drives really smooth, plus, it's got 3 more years of warranty, something the 2000 Mustang POS did not. ;)

Me, I'm driving the Exploder till it, well, explodes. :D

StuIsTheMan
7/23/2007, 09:18 AM
Toyota's ROCK...I have had a 1982 Toyota 4wd PU for about 15 years now. My dad bought it new. It has over 350K on it and still runs great. I have since bought another Toyota, The Tacoma...LOVE IT!...But the 1982 Toy is my favorite....well besides the 1969 El Camino SS and the 66 Galaxie 500...but after those the 1982 Toy is my favorite...We have also recently bought a 2004 (pre-owned) Exploder Limited as well...It has all the bells and whistles but I am still waiting for something big to happen...And I refuse to work on anything that does not have a Carb or a jet engine.:pop:

Beef
7/23/2007, 09:24 AM
Buying a car is a treat compared to dealing with a Harley-Davidson dealership.

StuIsTheMan
7/23/2007, 09:28 AM
Buying a car is a treat compared to dealing with a Harley-Davidson dealership.
Word! we were gonna buy my old man one for his birthday a few years ago...and man are they Pushy...
Kinda like the Time Share Dickholes that try and kidnap ya when you get off the plane in Cabo...

colleyvillesooner
7/23/2007, 09:48 AM
Toyota's ROCK...I have had a 1982 Toyota 4wd PU for about 15 years now. My dad bought it new. It has over 350K on it and still runs great. I have since bought another Toyota, The Tacoma...LOVE IT!...But the 1982 Toy is my favorite....well besides the 1969 El Camino SS and the 66 Galaxie 500...but after those the 1982 Toy is my favorite...We have also recently bought a 2004 (pre-owned) Exploder Limited as well...It has all the bells and whistles but I am still waiting for something big to happen...And I refuse to work on anything that does not have a Carb or a jet engine.:pop:

Mine's a 1998 Explorer Sport with 160,000 miles on it. It's had minor problems, but nothing too bad. I like it. Just big enough to go camping in and the like.

garland sooner
7/23/2007, 11:45 AM
I got a new car a year ago and didn't even know about it until I came back from school. My parents traded in the 2003/4 Caravan and came out with 2 2005 Neons. Since Neons were discontinued, I guess the dealers were being "generous." The best thing about it was that the two new cars' combined monthly payment was still cheaper than the monthly payments for the Caravan.

That's also when I realized that I had to learn how to drive a stick-shift. :cool: I'm definitely not complaining. I don't have automatic locks/windows or a CD Player. But hey, I got a car (which I didn't have the previous school year) that gets me places. Gas isn't too much of a strain on my college student budget either.

Oh, and after learning stick, I don't think I'll go back to automatic.

Petro-Sooner
2/23/2008, 09:44 AM
Looking at a vehicle with carmax. Anyone else deal with them?

EDIT: nevermind. Found past threads over them.