PDA

View Full Version : Where are the great golfers?

Sooner24
7/21/2007, 11:38 PM
There is Tiger Woods and no one else. You can rattle off a list of names but the level of golf is not what it was from the time I started watching, (early 60's thru the mid 80's) to today. Golfers hit the ball farther, and do things that were unheard of thirty years ago but it's all the equipment. Maybe NASCAR has the right idea, put everyone in the exact same equipment and see what happens. If it wasn't for Tiger Woods, golf would draw NHL ratings.

Turd_Ferguson
7/22/2007, 12:00 AM
IMO, TW's greatness is in his abillity to handle pressure, actually I think he thrives with pressure. I have played the game since I was 15. I consider myself "average". The guy's you play with that you think are "really good" couldn't hold a candle to the guy's on the buy.com tour. Now with that said, the buy.com, etc. tour guy's couldn't hold a candle to the top ranked PGA card holders. I don't know how many PGA tournaments you have been to, but whatching some of the shots these guys make is incredible. TW is very good at what he does, but there is allways somebody with a better driver, long iron, short game or putter that can excel at any given time. If all of these guy's had to go back to the 60's clubs....maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think the Jack's and Arny's would still dominate.

tulsaoilerfan
7/22/2007, 12:13 AM
I wonder whether most of the guys, other than a few, really care about winning? You can finish in the top 20 every week you play and make over a million bucks a year, so who needs to win? The hunger just isn't there for the new breed of PGA players IMO

StoopTroup
7/22/2007, 03:29 AM
I agree about the money....

Some folks get a little dough in their pocket and they change quickly....

TW has changed....But I think he's become even more ruthless....

By "Ruthless" I mean...his sense of pressure is even more concrete than when he was at the top of his game.

Now, he's the favorite most every tourney.

He's a Superstar.

Okla-homey
7/22/2007, 07:58 AM
I like the idea of standardized equipment. Precisely three indentical clubs. A driver, a wedge, and a putter. No caddie. :D

Sooner24
7/22/2007, 09:19 AM
I agree about the money....

Some folks get a little dough in their pocket and they change quickly....

TW has changed....But I think he's become even more ruthless....

By "Ruthless" I mean...his sense of pressure is even more concrete than when he was at the top of his game.

Now, he's the favorite most every tourney.

He's a Superstar.

Exactly, and it's due to the lack of any real competition.

Sooner24
7/22/2007, 09:25 AM
IMO, TW's greatness is in his abillity to handle pressure, actually I think he thrives with pressure. I have played the game since I was 15. I consider myself "average". The guy's you play with that you think are "really good" couldn't hold a candle to the guy's on the buy.com tour. Now with that said, the buy.com, etc. tour guy's couldn't hold a candle to the top ranked PGA card holders. I don't know how many PGA tournaments you have been to, but whatching some of the shots these guys make is incredible. TW is very good at what he does, but there is allways somebody with a better driver, long iron, short game or putter that can excel at any given time. If all of these guy's had to go back to the 60's clubs....maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think the Jack's and Arny's would still dominate.

And 90% is due to the equipment. I also contend that is why you see so many terrible shots. These guys try stupid shots or try to over swing because they think they can do things they can't because of their clubs.

King Crimson
7/22/2007, 09:31 AM
I wonder whether most of the guys, other than a few, really care about winning? You can finish in the top 20 every week you play and make over a million bucks a year, so who needs to win? The hunger just isn't there for the new breed of PGA players IMO

i've heard a couple USGA high priests talk (at the US Open at Pinehurst) about how they think this mentality is why we get waxed in the Ryder Cup.

Newbomb Turk
7/22/2007, 09:34 AM
agree - we need more Lanny Wadkins types.