PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Season All Big 12 Picks

utex74
7/21/2007, 04:11 PM
We're now jinxed. Officially DOOMED!

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/07/21//0721big12.html

Newbomb Turk
7/21/2007, 04:39 PM
outstanding.
good for the whorns.
I don't see how they'll be beat this year.

:mack:

fwsooner22
7/21/2007, 06:06 PM
We're now jinxed. Officially DOOMED!

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/07/21//0721big12.html

No Horn bias there..Duke and Reggie and that's it? ...what a joke.....it's time to start kicking their butts by 50 again!!!!

KantoSooner
7/21/2007, 07:25 PM
It's time (and past) to start kicking ANYONE'S butt by 50. We might need practice before UT, though.. Hmmmmmm....I KNOW! Let's start with Miami!

StoopTroup
7/21/2007, 07:49 PM
The whorns will crush us....

...as they're leaving for their vehicles at halftime.

Best stand to side until they pass...:D

BASSooner
7/21/2007, 10:43 PM
jamal charles? are you kidding me? The dude keeps getting injured!

Swead shouldn't be there either, he should be replaced by malcolm kelly without a question. sweed may be 6'5 but malcolm can catch in triple coverage...so theres a difference there.

They also obviously havn't seen marcus walker OR nic harris.

Although, they do have it right with lokey, hills jr and okam

utex74
7/21/2007, 10:53 PM
Media pre-season picks are about as accurate as SI's and ESPN. And I hate for the guys to read thier press clippings before they have actually played a down.

I'll wait for the season and keep the faith. I do think Sweed belongs there but Jamaal's numbers last year make his selection suspect. Also as many of you have noted, McCoy has to stay healthy or the odds swing dramatically in the other direction, especially if something happens to him after we're into the season.

BASSooner
7/21/2007, 11:13 PM
Media pre-season picks are about as accurate as SI's and ESPN. And I hate for the guys to read thier press clippings before they have actually played a down.

I'll wait for the season and keep the faith. I do think Sweed belongs there but Jamaal's numbers last year make his selection suspect. Also as many of you have noted, McCoy has to stay healthy or the odds swing dramatically in the other direction, especially if something happens to him after we're into the season.
You better hope he stays healthy by the time october comes. This could be a VERY good game, however, if he doesn't stay healthy the game could end up being a massacre, not even joking either. see 2000 and 2003:D

utex74
7/21/2007, 11:45 PM
You better hope he stays healthy by the time october comes. This could be a VERY good game, however, if he doesn't stay healthy the game could end up being a massacre, not even joking either. see 2000 and 2003:D

Any time a key player, especially QB, goes down the team is hurt. If Vince had gone down you can imagine what would (more likely, would NOT) have happened. I do not predict a lot of QB sneaks this year, BTW.

And you sig is incorrect. We have won two conference chanpionships, not one, to your five. Still looks bad but it's better than ONE.

XingTheRubicon
7/22/2007, 12:14 AM
Any time a key player, especially QB, goes down the team is hurt. If Vince had gone down you can imagine what would (more likely, would NOT) have happened. I do not predict a lot of QB sneaks this year, BTW.

And you sig is incorrect. We have won two conference chanpionships, not one, to your five. Still looks bad but it's better than ONE.

OU still only has 4 btw, unless your including '07.

utex74
7/22/2007, 01:37 AM
OU still only has 4 btw, unless your including '07.

Definitely not conceding '07. Thanks for the correction.

goingoneight
7/22/2007, 01:44 AM
5 south division titles... basically = 5 CCs in my books. We all remember, but no one cares about K-State's little fluke CC in 2003.

I'll knock off the 2003 if you knock off the Mackovic title, though. :D And before you mention 2001, remember Roy. ;)

Soonerfan1993
7/22/2007, 06:16 PM
The all big 12 list is a joke, they need to look at last years postseason 1rst, 2nd and honorable mention all big 12 media and coaches list before making one off the wall like this one.

SoonerShark
7/25/2007, 05:20 AM
Definitely not conceding '07. Thanks for the correction.

Following the trend, OU will be the '08 champion. The odd numbered years champion has been a team with an odd color, like gold/black or purple or orange. I am hoping the trend changes because purple or orange belongs on softball team's gaudy uniforms, not championship football team uniforms, although UT's orange is more an exciting brown derivative, not day-glo orange.

Mazeppa
7/25/2007, 07:46 AM
What do you expect from the "Austin American Statesmen"?

King Crimson
7/25/2007, 08:35 AM
What do you expect from the "Austin American Statesmen"?

to be fair, the AAS didn't pick that list.

one of the other lists i've seen didn't even have Reggie Smith in the 2 deep at all conference (Katz or one of those other national on-line hacks), but here he's POY. so, grain of salt.

47straight
7/25/2007, 04:36 PM
McCoy has to stay healthy or the odds swing dramatically in the other direction, especially if something happens to him after we're into the season.

You mean thees guy?

http://smackdown.myrmid.com/smackdown/downloads/joe3.gif

StuIsTheMan
7/25/2007, 05:07 PM
You mean thees guy?

Body Blow Body Blow

Uppercut....Uppercut

Body Blow Body Blow

Uppercut....Uppercut

Body Blow...He's Down For the Count...

BIG_IKE
7/25/2007, 05:26 PM
Actually, I'd rather McCoy stay healthy. I'm not looking forward to facing his backup QB's in the future.

BASSooner
7/25/2007, 07:06 PM
Actually, I'd rather McCoy stay healthy. I'm not looking forward to facing his backup QB's in the future.
why not? OUr defense will be filled with extremely quick LBers and DBs...considering that The REAL McCoy will be a beast. He can catch RBs in the backfied...

goingoneight
7/25/2007, 09:57 PM
Body Blow Body Blow

Uppercut....Uppercut

Body Blow Body Blow

Uppercut....Uppercut

Body Blow...He's Down For the Count...

Got it, Coach V...
Sincerely,
G.K. McCoy ;)

Big Game Bob
7/26/2007, 01:07 PM

BASS -

Not sure how you are arriving at this conclusion. Most people will tell you (non biased to both schools) that Texas and OU are close to equal. I think Texas does have an edge RIGHT NOW based strictly on quarterbacking. That could change depending on how your new guy steps in. It is certainly reasonable to think that you could have someone jump in just like Colt did, so it should be interesting. Right now, UT gets the nod.

BASSooner
7/26/2007, 01:09 PM
BASS -

Not sure how you are arriving at this conclusion. Most people will tell you (non biased to both schools) that Texas and OU are close to equal. I think Texas does have an edge RIGHT NOW based strictly on quarterbacking. That could change depending on how your new guy steps in. It is certainly reasonable to think that you could have someone jump in just like Colt did, so it should be interesting. Right now, UT gets the nod.
UT lacks in the secondary and the OL

We lack in the QB position, however, just like UT of 2006, OUr QB will have premium weapons placed before him that he will be able to use.

My prediction is that OU baaaaarely wins this one if McCoy stays healthy.

Big Game Bob
7/26/2007, 01:14 PM
I'll grant you that we have question marks about the secondary. I may have orange-tinted glasses on, but I am hoping that our secondary has nowhere to go but up and that the problem last year was scheme as much as anything. It certainly can't get any damn worse. As far as the O-line is concerned, Texas can just plug in any 300lb+ hog and be ok. Our line could be just as good as OU's last year (which was a huge question mark) just like your new QB could be as good as Colt.

htownsooner7
7/26/2007, 01:17 PM
I'm with BASS on this one. Think outside the box. They lost 6, SIX, defensive players to the NFL. They lost 3 of their top 5 OL. And yeah, Colt is good but against us.. I think they had a grand total of 220 yards on offense. If they can't generate 20 points, we win. Pure and simple.

picasso
7/26/2007, 01:24 PM
hey, the big 12 guys left Macolm Kelly off the pre-first team.

yeah, he only took over the Tech and Nebbish games last year.:rolleyes:

Big Game Bob
7/26/2007, 02:12 PM
I'm with BASS on this one. Think outside the box. They lost 6, SIX, defensive players to the NFL. They lost 3 of their top 5 OL. And yeah, Colt is good but against us.. I think they had a grand total of 220 yards on offense. If they can't generate 20 points, we win. Pure and simple.

Htown -

I'm not trying to say that there WILL NOT be a drop off in our O-line, I'm just saying we should be fine, especially by the time October rolls around. You have to consider also that OU's D-line is not going to be a significant strength of the defense as is has been in years' past. You will have an extroidinary secondary, but you will have to get a good rush on Colt for him to have a bad day against you guys. We both have question marks; it will be fun to see how things play out. This is a completely different Texas team prior to Vince Young; they now know they can beat OU, and even do so without ol' Crazy Legs.

htownsooner7
7/26/2007, 02:44 PM
I believe OU was the #1 ranked D in the Big 12 last year. That shouldn't change. Our D is designed specifically now to stop spread offenses like yours. At the game last year, turnovers killed us. Your offense didn't. UT will always have top notch talent. But this year, UT goes down. OU's offense should be very well balanced and I'd expect a lot of pressure on Colt this year. With the best secondary in the country, pressure will cause a lot of turnovers. It should be a great one and I just got my tickets. I'm hoping they're both in the top 5 at that point.

Big Game Bob
7/26/2007, 03:14 PM
What hurt you guys last year was our defense. The second half of that game was the best defense I have seen Texas play in a long, long time. That was with you guys having an all-world running back and a fairly experienced QB. Our D-line doesn't change too much; we'll have just a good D-line that was able to get pressure on PT and shut down the run. As I have eluded to before, the secondary cannot be any worse. I'm excited to see what this year's LB crew for Texas brings to the table. Keep in mind that we beat you through the air against that stout Sooner secondary. We had no running game. If Texas would have had a decent running attack last year, the score would have been much worse than it was. Some people think that Colt is going to fall on his face this year without the experienced line that Vince had, and it's just not going to happen. We have an experienced QB coming back, and the best receiving corps in the conference. I have to see what your QB does before I am willing to accept that the game will be competitive next year.

htownsooner7
7/26/2007, 03:24 PM
Not competitive??? You're on crack. Remember that you guys have won 2 times in the last 7 years. Two years ago, we weren't in the top 25. Last year, we were ranked 16. This year we are top 10. Beat us through the air??????? 108 yards passing. Look it up. You just lost all credibility.

BASSooner
7/26/2007, 04:58 PM
What hurt you guys last year was our defense. The second half of that game was the best defense I have seen Texas play in a long, long time. That was with you guys having an all-world running back and a fairly experienced QB. Our D-line doesn't change too much; we'll have just a good D-line that was able to get pressure on PT and shut down the run. As I have eluded to before, the secondary cannot be any worse. I'm excited to see what this year's LB crew for Texas brings to the table. Keep in mind that we beat you through the air against that stout Sooner secondary. We had no running game. If Texas would have had a decent running attack last year, the score would have been much worse than it was. Some people think that Colt is going to fall on his face this year without the experienced line that Vince had, and it's just not going to happen. We have an experienced QB coming back, and the best receiving corps in the conference. I have to see what your QB does before I am willing to accept that the game will be competitive next year.
Everything that is placed in bold are statements that are just wrong and/or biased starting with the following statements:
-sorry your secondary JUST got worse.
-although I don't think colt will fall on his face, he will be pressured a lot more thus I don't think he will perform as well as he did last season
-OUr receiver corp and yours are pretty much dead even. You guys have the edge at experience and we have the edge with the talent AND depth.
-Just like one of my sooner buddies had said, you are definately on crack. Thanks to last year, you make the assumption that the game will not be competitive. You guys will be the ones crossing your fingers just hoping for a win

picasso
7/26/2007, 05:05 PM
Not competitive??? You're on crack. Remember that you guys have won 2 times in the last 7 years. Two years ago, we weren't in the top 25. Last year, we were ranked 16. This year we are top 10. Beat us through the air??????? 108 yards passing. Look it up. You just lost all credibility.
just look at his username.

I'm thinking of changing mine to Little Game Mackovic.

Big Game Bob
7/26/2007, 05:28 PM

Need we reference back to head-to-head numbers? You guys are severely behind. Yeah, you had our number BEFORE VY toughened up this team. Now that Texas KNOWS they can beat OU anytime, and given the fact that the Sooners just aren't what they used to be (still say Mike Stoops was the heart and soul of the team), they need to show me something before I believe they have a chance of winning this year's game against Texas. Could it happen? Absolutely......we've all seen the better team lose plenty in this series. I stand by my comment that we won the game through the air. The TD pass to start the 2nd half was HUGE. Colt did that under pressure. From there, the defense took over and played lights out. Our secondary should not be a concern against you until I see otherwise.

BASSooner
7/26/2007, 05:39 PM
Need we reference back to head-to-head numbers? You guys are severely behind. Yeah, you had our number BEFORE VY toughened up this team. Now that Texas KNOWS they can beat OU anytime, and given the fact that the Sooners just aren't what they used to be (still say Mike Stoops was the heart and soul of the team), they need to show me something before I believe they have a chance of winning this year's game against Texas. Could it happen? Absolutely......we've all seen the better team lose plenty in this series. I stand by my comment that we won the game through the air. The TD pass to start the 2nd half was HUGE. Colt did that under pressure. From there, the defense took over and played lights out. Our secondary should not be a concern against you until I see otherwise.
dude, you should SERIOUSLY go to hornfans.com. They will believe everything you say, otherwise, take off those burnt orange glasses because you have no clue what you are talking about.

picasso
7/26/2007, 05:48 PM
yes, we've fallen badly since Mikey left.

only real difference I see is when we let you guys in the back door to the conference title game you seemed to choke.

htownsooner7
7/26/2007, 06:31 PM
Yeah, you're right. You guys are looking real tough. Last 3 games..
Lost to unranked 7-6 Kansas State
Lost to unranked aggies AT HOME
Beat unranked 7 loss Iowa IN THE ALAMO BOWL by less than a touchdown.

I was in Kansas City last December. Where were you?

htownsooner7
7/26/2007, 06:32 PM
If the little whoren fan replies, somebody take care of it. I'm gone for the weekend and don't have time for tards touting how good UT was in 1915.

BIG_IKE
7/26/2007, 06:42 PM
Well, although I believe we can win. I am not sold on alot of things.
And honestly, I think we are really getting a little ahead of ourselves.

A few facts few of us are willing to think about.

-Our QB is green
-Our front 7 is green

-The Whorns return every single linebacker
-Every single receiver
-Jamal Charles
-every single DT

We return greats RB's, Secondary and WR's.

Basically what I am saying is this...

We are HOPING that Texas OL' sucks, but in all honesty I REALLY doubt they will. And we are hoping their secondary sucks as well. Because whehter we like it or not, they are gonna be solid as ever everywhere else.

On our end, we are HOPING our QB and Front 7 turn out good. I think our areas of concern are slightly more crucial than theirs. A bad front 7 will ruin our defense, a bad qb will can our offense. On Texas end...they are not gonna be weak anywhere on offense. And we all saw what they did with a bad secondary last year...

I say it's close, but writing them off and suggesting we will score 60 points and pull a 2000 oor 2003 on them is foolish. I will wait until I see at least 2 games with our new QB before I can make a predicition. Common sense gives Texass the edge right now.

Seamus
7/26/2007, 06:53 PM
Seamus rolls out his Costco-sized spray can of Whorn-B-Gone and ...

pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft!

FaninAma
7/26/2007, 09:25 PM
Big Ike,

I don't see where UT's losses on the defensive line won't be as much of a concern as our losses.

And I know the horn fans are being polyannas about their defensive backfied. If I'm not mistaken, Akina(the current DC) was resposible for their DB's last year so I don't see that situation getting any better. And I don't understand why if Akina is a defensive mastermind why Mack felt the need to raid Auburn's staff to get the guy that now coaches at Iowa State instead of promoting Akina.

47straight
7/27/2007, 11:06 AM
Need we reference back to head-to-head numbers? You guys are severely behind.

Ooooo, bringing out the pre-ww2 smack! Were you a whorn fan back then?

Better question, were you a whorn fan before Fumbles McRadio?

47straight
7/27/2007, 11:10 AM
Some people think that Colt is going to fall on his face this year without the experienced line that Vince had, and it's just not going to happen. We have an experienced QB coming back...

There is no Colt. There is only Glass Joe.

Glass Joe is not going to fall on his face. He is going to get hit in the face (again) and that glass jaw's gonna keep him out for a few games (again). Yes, he's experienced - experienced in taking off his helmet like an *** and getting run after throwing picks.

Big Game Bob
7/27/2007, 11:18 AM
Well, although I believe we can win. I am not sold on alot of things.
And honestly, I think we are really getting a little ahead of ourselves.

A few facts few of us are willing to think about.

-Our QB is green
-Our front 7 is green

-The Whorns return every single linebacker
-Every single receiver
-Jamal Charles
-every single DT

We return greats RB's, Secondary and WR's.

Basically what I am saying is this...

We are HOPING that Texas OL' sucks, but in all honesty I REALLY doubt they will. And we are hoping their secondary sucks as well. Because whehter we like it or not, they are gonna be solid as ever everywhere else.

On our end, we are HOPING our QB and Front 7 turn out good. I think our areas of concern are slightly more crucial than theirs. A bad front 7 will ruin our defense, a bad qb will can our offense. On Texas end...they are not gonna be weak anywhere on offense. And we all saw what they did with a bad secondary last year...

I say it's close, but writing them off and suggesting we will score 60 points and pull a 2000 oor 2003 on them is foolish. I will wait until I see at least 2 games with our new QB before I can make a predicition. Common sense gives Texass the edge right now.

Thank you Big Ike for your reasonable analysis. To the others who think I'm trying to flame here, I'm just saying that your question marks about the 07 team are a little more significant than ours. No doubt it is going to come down to you or us for the Big 12 championship.

Big Game Bob
7/27/2007, 11:34 AM
There is no Colt. There is only Glass Joe.

Glass Joe is not going to fall on his face. He is going to get hit in the face (again) and that glass jaw's gonna keep him out for a few games (again). Yes, he's experienced - experienced in taking off his helmet like an *** and getting run after throwing picks.

Ok, I'll bite. Not sure how you can call Colt a ****. Guy was sincerely hurt, and if you're referencing him going out of the eATMe game, not sure how many people could take a blind-*** cheapshot and be ok when they've had a stinger. AD was hurt quite a bit if I recall. Colt was not showboating when he got injured, and he never quit on a play (like AD last year) as Texas just laid the smack down on the Sooners.

picasso
7/27/2007, 11:44 AM
AD quit on a play? not knowingly.

and AD is tough as nails bro.

I'll give Colt McColt his due though, he's a player and he's tough although he looks like a character from a redneck cartoon.

Seamus
7/27/2007, 12:53 PM
And AD wasn't injured while showboating. The ISU tripped him up short of the endzone and he dove to get the score.

Don't pretend your trying to offer reasonable analysis when it's sandwiched between all these little jabs. That **** is transparent as Vince Young's grade report, and it won't fly here.

picasso
7/27/2007, 01:27 PM
And AD wasn't injured while showboating. The ISU tripped him up short of the endzone and he dove to get the score.

Don't pretend your trying to offer reasonable analysis when it's sandwiched between all these little jabs. That **** is transparent as Vince Young's grade report, and it won't fly here.
as I stated earlier. look at the funny guy's username. it's really funny and chock full of sarcasm and stuff...