PDA

View Full Version : Sportsdad needs to get a life...

Okla-homey
7/21/2007, 06:48 AM
This in todays Tulsa World. All this about where a 9 year old little boy gets to play club football.

Football future of boy, 9, sparks lawsuit, settlement
JOY LEWIS / Tulsa World

http://aycu12.webshots.com/image/22531/2000460842583176478_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000460842583176478)
Brayden Mathis, 9, can play third-grade football for a Jenks team after a lawsuit filed by his father, Tony Mathis, was settled Friday.

Lawyers for both sides of the lawsuit huddled in separate rooms at the Tulsa County Courthouse, trying to hammer out a compromise that would defuse the tense legal standoff.

By late Friday afternoon, the case had already taken the time of two federal judges and most of the day for one state court judge. It required the services of three lawyers -- one a former Tulsa mayor -- plus several clerks and a court reporter.

As the clock wound down, both sides announced that they had reached an agreement: Brayden Mathis, age 9, can play third-grade football at Jenks.

Brayden will be entered into a "blind draft" to determine which team he will be on, and his family must move into a house in the Jenks district. The Mathises now live in the Union district, where Brayden has played football for two years.

The deal settled an emergency restraining order requested Thursday by Brayden's father, Tony Mathis. His lawsuit sought to force the Indian Nations Football Conference to allow Brayden to enter the third-grade football draft or to halt the draft until the question of Brayden's residency could be settled.

Yes, there is actually a third-grade football draft, and it is scheduled for Sunday, just days after Friday night's football combine. At the combine, players are put through a series of timed drills to judge their athletic abilities.

Thousands of boys in grades 3 through 8 play football for the conference's teams before the school districts take over in ninth grade.

Before Tulsa County District Judge Gordon McAllister could hold a hearing on the request Friday, the football conference filed a request for a federal judge to hear the case, temporarily halting the state court action.

When one federal judge stepped aside from hearing the case, it was assigned to U.S. Chief District Judge Claire Eagan. She ruled Friday afternoon that the matter should be heard in state court.

The ruling sent both sides scurrying back to McAllister, who urged them to work out an agreement.

Tony Mathis said he filed the suit because he wanted his son to play in Jenks, where the incoming third-grader has friends. The football conference, which includes Union, Jenks and 29 other districts or areas, requires players to live in the districts for which they are playing.

Mathis said that although he enrolled his son in Jenks schools and signed a contract to buy a house in the district, the conference denied his son's request to play.

''It's very difficult when you are a parent to have someone tell you they are not going to give you and your child the same opportunity they are giving other kids,'' Mathis said.

Although his son is only 9, Brayden has worked hard in the sport, Mathis said.

''He's trained at Velocity (Sports Performance) for years, and he takes quarterback lessons," Mathis said, adding, "It's a big deal to us.''

Mathis' attorney, Steven Hjelm, said: ''Whether it would be football or the dance club or anything of that nature, all we're seeking is that this governing body would treat this third-grader like they treat every other third-grader.''

Hjelm was assisted in the case by another attorney, former Tulsa Mayor Bill LaFortune.

Tom Askew, an attorney for the Indian Nations Football Conference, said the conference initially turned down Mathis' request because ''the rules have to be enforced.''

''Boundary issues come up quite a bit, and a lot of times they are driven by disgruntled, overzealous sports parents,'' he said.

Before the settlement was reached, conference officials believed that Mathis was trying to choose which Jenks team his son would play for, Askew said.

''Mr. Mathis is insistent there are three third-grade football teams he will play for and three he will not,'' Askew said.

Hjelm denied Askew's claim, saying Mathis would be satisfied for his son to be placed in a blind draft, essentially having his name drawn out of a hat by coaches.

''Our only caveat to that was that if the coach doesn't want him or need him that this little boy be traded to another team,'' Hjelm said.

Tom Lott, president of the football conference, said the rules are in place to discourage recruiting.

''We try to enforce that boundary so that parents aren't pulled from one program to another and coaches aren't trying to recruit outside their area,'' he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ziva Branstetter 581-8378
[email protected]

Flagstaffsooner
7/21/2007, 06:59 AM
That is the most insane thing that I have ever read. Third grade draft, federal judges....WTF:eek: Gawdalmighty, does the kid have an agent?:pop:

BTW, the Dad looks demented and the little boy looks sad.

RacerX
7/21/2007, 08:18 AM
A combine for grade school kids.

Geez.

Spray
7/21/2007, 08:26 AM
No kidding. Is fantasy football not enough for these dorks?

King Crimson
7/21/2007, 08:29 AM
jeez.

birddog
7/21/2007, 08:30 AM
that dad scares me.

he looks like he's about to smash the camera lens if the cameraman doesn't make his son look sad enough.

birddog
7/21/2007, 08:36 AM
and i wonder if espn has their indian nations mock draft up yet? i mean, is this kid considered to be a lottery pick?

Spray
7/21/2007, 08:40 AM
and i wonder if espn has their indian nations mock draft up yet? i mean, is this kid considered to be a lottery pick?

I wouldn't put it past them- I wonder how NOW the Indian Nations MVP is? Or they could send Chris Connely out to do a 15 minute piece on the poor boy and his pops.

How I wish ABC/Disney would sell ESPN. Of course, if you got the time and capital there's a market for a decent 24 hour sports station.

Flagstaffsooner
7/21/2007, 08:50 AM
"Dad please take your meds and please let me be a kid."

Newbomb Turk
7/21/2007, 08:52 AM
no wonder Jenks and Union are so damn good.

SoonerBOI
7/21/2007, 09:02 AM
What do you call that? A stage father?

Okla-homey
7/21/2007, 09:06 AM
What do you call that? A stage father?

I call him an a$$hat.

PhxSooner
7/21/2007, 10:09 AM
Wow. The kid has been training "for years"? My soccer training during those years consisted of complaining about the color jersey I wore. Jerky. Sad thing, I know some parents who are not quite as bad, but close, about their kids sports "futures". Maybe the dad should find his own hobby so he doesn't feel the need to relive some past glory through his son.

stoopified
7/21/2007, 10:34 AM
As bad as the father is the fotball sytem scares me more.drafts and and combines for 3-8 gragde kids?That is ridiculous.If you aren't going to field teams by area then it should be all blind draft.Every coach chooses players by blind pick.Scouting kids at combine and drafting teams OF KIDS is what creates Dads like this one.P.S. he ain't alone.

yermom
7/21/2007, 03:22 PM
he's going to school in Jenks, what's the problem?

sounds like some administrator was just being a ******

tulsaoilerfan
7/21/2007, 03:49 PM
He's 9 and trained at Velocity Sports Performance "for years"; this whole story with the combines and the scouting of little kids is ridiculous

tulsaoilerfan
7/21/2007, 03:50 PM
So does anyone think that Jenks and Union still don't try to recruit kids?

StoopTroup
7/21/2007, 04:01 PM
If any of you haven't known anyone in the Jenks / Union area that have kids playing Football in these divisions....you might find this shocking.

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

I'm sure it will now...

That Dad is up against a whole bunch of other Parents worse than him IMO...

Most folks wouldn't fight it.

I know I wouldn't.

Dio
7/21/2007, 04:35 PM
Who does this dad think he is, the coach at Shawnee?

Tailwind
7/21/2007, 04:46 PM
Pretty sad.

bluedogok
7/21/2007, 05:38 PM
Would anyone be surprised to see this father on the news in the future going after a coach or ref if they don't treat his retirement fund (I mean child) right?

goingoneight
7/21/2007, 05:43 PM
no wonder Jenks and Union are so damn good.
You mean KeJuan's brand new car had nothing to do with Jenks getting a top-flight RB? :D I know this stuff goes on, I've seen it with my own eyes. There's no NCAA to make the HS boosters quit their junior Bomargate scandals as long as the kids don't out them publicly. I have seen numerous kids transfer after an awesome season in Cowtown to play for Union, BA, or Jenks. I've also known guys who had school spirit and turned Union down. Personally, I was a dumb enough kid that I probably would have taken the bait, myself. One of my closest friends was a LB at Bixby who got those pursuasive little calls from South Tulsa businesses from time to time after he became a starter as a freshmen. He laughed when the calls stopped after the start of his senior season two-a-days. He always told me "they don't have anything to offer me. My dad, my uncles, and my cousins played here, I want to stay and be a part of that."

^^^ That kind of stuff happens EVERYWHERE in Dallas/FW area, too... my terminal managers always talk about HS football when I'm in Dallas for OU/TX and I always hear about what so-and-so was getting under the table to play for so-and-so High School. Everyone says I'm 'jealous' of the Unions and Jenks's... but I actually went to BA, though, and had very dear friends at Union and Jenks. Plus, I'm too old to be crying wolf about what other schools do. I knew even my own school was bending the rules from time to time.

AlbqSooner
7/21/2007, 07:07 PM
For over 25 years there has been a publication named "Texas High School Football." It has a substantial subscription base.

I played on a Little League (peewee) baseball team MANY years ago that won the City Championship. The next year most of our starters had moved up to the next age group. We went 1-9 and had a hell of a lot more fun.

tulsaoilerfan
7/21/2007, 07:10 PM
For over 25 years there has been a publication named "Texas High School Football." It has a substantial subscription base.

I played on a Little League (peewee) baseball team MANY years ago that won the City Championship. The next year most of our starters had moved up to the next age group. We went 1-9 and had a hell of a lot more fun.
I don't have a problem with the magazine, but kids that are 9 should be playing for fun and love of the game, not going to combines and being recruited to play for other teams or having parents trying to maneuver them to play for so and so's team.

StoopTroup
7/21/2007, 08:19 PM

My Sports Collector Buddy and I got hold of this B&W HS program featuring Emmitt Smith back in the day.

Emmitt's Mom had stopped by our booth at a show and Emmitt came by after a few minutes. My Buddy asked Emmitt if he'd sign "This"...

He held it out ever so gingerly and Emmitt said "Where in the H E Double Hockey Sticks did you find that?" :D

Emmitt said "Well sure I'd sign it....but...could I have it?"

He knew there was such a thing but I guess he never actually kept one...

Anyway my Buddy gave it to him as a freindship deal....

We got some other stuff from him later....

You just had to see the look on his face though...

It was like you had unearthed a priceless Hope Diamond.

Mjcpr
7/21/2007, 09:53 PM
He's on my fantasy league team.

Pricetag
7/22/2007, 01:09 AM
Wow. The kid has been training "for years"?
Well, you just don't get the "QB Keeper" and "Handoff to the RB" plays down overnight, you know. How will the kid ever get his chance to prove he's a star if he's QB Keeping and Handing off to the RB over at Union? It's a totally different brand of QB Keeping and Handing off to the RB they run over there.

StoopTroup
7/22/2007, 03:18 AM
I think keeping a kid in the same division as he's growing up is a bad thing....

If you keep getting the same duma$$ coaches every year how are you to find your one true mentor?

Okla-homey
7/22/2007, 07:21 AM
I wish someone would bring this story to the Sports Animal guys' attention. I suspect they would enjoy calling dad and talking to him about it on air.;)