PDA

View Full Version : In about an hour, Mom will be here

Okla-homey
7/20/2007, 04:10 PM
Driving up from Ard Vegas to hang with the Homey crewe. My Blonde Daughter heads back to administer rush at her sorority at AU in two weeks.

Kinda sad for Pops. This is prolly our last summer with her at home...unless we have one of those "failure to launch" scenarios.

Anyhoo, I digress...

Here's the thing. I'm 47 and still feel funny about drinking in front of my Mom. When I do so, I put it in an opaque glass and sip discretely. In mi casa!

Is that whacked? Or, as I suspect, am I just the typical 40-something Okie who left the small town and went away to college back in the day, discovered alcohol and drifted away from his fundamentalist Baptist upbringing on that particular issue...but still feels guilt?

Do I need therapy to overcome these feelings?

Scott D
7/20/2007, 04:27 PM
you need to quit being a ***** ;)

I started drinking in front of my parents during high school. No qualms about it now :D

SoonerStormchaser
7/20/2007, 04:32 PM
Is your daughter hawt?
Inquiring minds (i.e. SicEm) want to know

Okla-homey
7/20/2007, 04:35 PM
Is your daughter hawt?
Inquiring minds (i.e. SicEm) want to know

That feller couldn't possibly hang with an SEC coed from a privileged background. Trust me.

royalfan5
7/20/2007, 04:37 PM
I don't think I will ever drink in front of my Mom or anyone from that side of the family.

Okla-homey
7/20/2007, 04:49 PM
you need to quit being a ***** ;)

I started drinking in front of my parents during high school. No qualms about it now :D

Was your Mom "washed in the Blood" and committed to "Claiming the World For Christ" at Falls Creek in 1951? hmmm? That there is a serious edifice.

SoonerStormchaser
7/20/2007, 04:56 PM
My mom's Sicilian...so I get the heritage exemption.

Hell, I have my own bottle of Tanqueray up there for when I come up to visit (they live in San Marcos, about 30 miles north of here).

In fact, hawt pregnant wife and step-daughter are coming down here tonight and we're spending the weekend at their house.

Mjcpr
7/20/2007, 05:18 PM
You ain't a real Okie hillbilly if'n you don't get tanked with moms.

SoonerStormchaser
7/20/2007, 06:04 PM
This thread is worthless without pics!

Scott D
7/20/2007, 06:19 PM
Was your Mom "washed in the Blood" and committed to "Claiming the World For Christ" at Falls Creek in 1951? hmmm? That there is a serious edifice.

my mother was awash in blood in 1951 because SHE WAS BEING BORN! :P

I won't say she encouraged me drinking, but she was more than willing to allow me to suffer the consequences of my excess of drinking in my youth. In fact, she's one of those whom rarely drinks, has never smoked, and claims she gets tipsy off of 2-3 wine coolers.

SoonerStormchaser
7/20/2007, 06:32 PM
Wow...she's 11 years older than my wife.

soonerboomer93
7/20/2007, 07:44 PM
I sometimes drink infront of my parents, not often, but I don't generally drink that much back in the states.

OUDoc
7/20/2007, 08:08 PM
Always been close to my parents, and they never had a problem with me drinking (Mom drinks, Dad really doesn't). Of course, we're Catholic, not Baptist, so it's kinda expected in my family. :D

Will mom be offended if you drink in front of her, Homey?

KC//CRIMSON
7/20/2007, 09:07 PM
Driving up from Ard Vegas to hang with the Homey crewe. My Blonde Daughter heads back to administer rush at her sorority at AU in two weeks.

Kinda sad for Pops. This is prolly our last summer with her at home...unless we have one of those "failure to launch" scenarios.

Anyhoo, I digress...

Here's the thing. I'm 47 and still feel funny about drinking in front of my Mom. When I do so, I put it in an opaque glass and sip discretely. In mi casa!

Is that whacked? Or, as I suspect, am I just the typical 40-something Okie who left the small town and went away to college back in the day, discovered alcohol and drifted away from his fundamentalist Baptist upbringing on that particular issue...but still feels guilt?

My parents live like a block away from you. You can go over there and drink in front of them any time you want.:cool:

Just don't bring over any *hitty beer or whine. They're picky like that.

Hotel Bravo
7/20/2007, 10:33 PM

Not that I'm quite of age to give advice to a lot of you, but my mom seeing me drink (and provide drinks) and smoke... not that she condones the latter part has come to terms a long time ago that I was going to do whatever I wanted to do regardless of what she has to say. If you feel that bad about it, or feel that you have to hide it like that, don't do it. There are certain family members that I won't do either in front of, but discretely do one or the other, more than likely both, at a location away from them so they won't see.

Don't know if that helps but it's what works for me.

Petro-Sooner
7/20/2007, 10:56 PM
First time I ever had alcohol in front of moms was at the graduation reception couple months ago. I was looking for anything. Water, beer, coke, it didnt matter. Me and dad had a glass of champagee

Sooner24
7/20/2007, 11:15 PM
I just think that shows respect for your mother. That’s an admirable quality in my book.

olevetonahill
7/20/2007, 11:52 PM
I went to the Cemetery and had a 6 pack with My folks

Scott D
7/21/2007, 08:51 AM
man I don't get some folks. If he was going to his mother's house, I could understand altering habits. But why take yourself out of your own comfort zone in your own home.

I guess I'm just rebellious like that.

Okla-homey
7/21/2007, 09:05 AM
man I don't get some folks. If he was going to his mother's house, I could understand altering habits. But why take yourself out of your own comfort zone in your own home.

I guess I'm just rebellious like that.

Here's what you gotta understand Scott. My mother was raised to believe alcohol is the Devil's p1ss.

In fact, I'll concede there is no question it has caused great pain and suffering in the world. I would even go far as to stipulate we'd be better off as a civilization without it.

That said, I drink responsibly and don't have a problem. Mom is incapable of distinguishing my drinking from folks who get slobbering drunk and commit crimes or lose their jobs and end up in a gutter exchanging BJ's for 40's.

Newbomb Turk
7/21/2007, 09:09 AM
I would even go far as to stipulate we'd be better off as a civilization without it.

olevet is going to so neg you.

MamaMia
7/21/2007, 09:28 AM
Even though she is your mother, she will still be a guest in your home. As an honored guest, it is your responsibility to make her feel comfortable. If there is even the slightest chance that seeing you drink alcohol would make her feel uneasy, then you should refrain from doing so during her visit. :)

stoopified
7/21/2007, 09:54 AM
Never thought about it but I have never had a drink in front of my parents.Then again I seldom drink at all .I can't stand the taste of beer and have only the occassional Margirita or Bloody Mary.

Sooner24
7/21/2007, 11:06 AM
Here's what you gotta understand Scott. My mother was raised to believe alcohol is the Devil's p1ss.

In fact, I'll concede there is no question it has caused great pain and suffering in the world. I would even go far as to stipulate we'd be better off as a civilization without it.

That said, I drink responsibly and don't have a problem. Mom is incapable of distinguishing my drinking from folks who get slobbering drunk and commit crimes or lose their jobs and end up in a gutter exchanging BJ's for 40's.

$40!!! :eek:

OUDoc
7/21/2007, 11:25 AM
Alcohol- The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
-Homer Simpson

Scott D
7/21/2007, 02:40 PM

your mother sounds oddly like my late grandmother. However, my grandmother reached a point in her life where she conceded that people can moderate things in their own lives without negatively affecting everyone else.

Like I said, I'm not as old fashioned as you, and I definitely made things uncomfortable in my grandmother's presence if for no other reason than to remind her that she was a guest, and not the lord and overseer of the house. I guess what's confusing me with your first post is that you made it seem that you were going to avoid doing your own daily/regular routine out of fear rather than courtesy. And in that regard, that's not respect like 24 put it, but it's rather reverting to your childhood. However, if it's out of courtesy, then I'd agree with 24 in that it's a respectful thing to do.

I'd be more concerned with her attempting to run your house as she sees fit while she's a guest, but that's just me.

sooner_born_1960
7/21/2007, 04:59 PM
$40!!! :eek:
I think he meant 40 oz. malt liquor.

Okla-homey
7/21/2007, 05:56 PM
I guess what's confusing me with your first post is that you made it seem that you were going to avoid doing your own daily/regular routine out of fear rather than courtesy. And in that regard, that's not respect like 24 put it, but it's rather reverting to your childhood. However, if it's out of courtesy, then I'd agree with 24 in that it's a respectful thing to do.

In truth, probably a little of both.

I love her. I don't want to hurt her feelings. She sacrificed a lot so all three of us kids could get to college and graduate. Not bad for a (by then) single mom who first married at 16 in 1958 and had me two years later.;)

olevetonahill
7/21/2007, 06:07 PM
In truth, probably a little of both.

I love her. I don't want to hurt her feelings. She sacrificed a lot so all three of us kids could get to college and graduate. Not bad for a (by then) single mom who first married at 16 in 1958 and had me two years later.;)
Respect your Momma all you want . Shes your Momma and its your house .

Okla-homey
7/21/2007, 06:35 PM
Respect your Momma all you want . Shes your Momma and its your house .

The thing is bro, my Mom's experience causes me to avoid looking down my snoot at folks. Think about it, she married at 16, had three kids by the time she was 25. Divorced a little after that. Despite that, she managed to get us all three thru school and educate herself. She's retired from Ardmore City Schools now and living pretty good.

For that reason, when I see a young gal with a couple of nose-pickers attached and no "baby daddy" around, I think to myself, she and those kids can make it, if she is willing to believe in herself and believe in those kids ability to rise above it.

olevetonahill
7/21/2007, 06:53 PM
The thing is bro, my Mom's experience causes me to avoid looking down my snoot at folks. Think about it, she married at 16, had three kids by the time she was 25. Divorced a little after that. Despite that, she managed to get us all three thru school and educate herself. She's retired from Ardmore City Schools now and living pretty good.

For that reason, when I see a young gal with a couple of nose-pickers attached and no "baby daddy" around, I think to myself, she and those kids can make it, if she is willing to believe in herself and believe in those kids ability to rise above it.
Yup she sounds Like a great lady grats on having her
I was raised up in the 50s an 60s . 5 Kids at home , I know if my Momma hadnt raised a garden and Canned everything she got her hands on . we would have went hungry thru the winter , Dad worked construction and those times were lean as hell . Didnt have Welfare and food stamps back then . I dont think ? if it was my folks were to proud to find out .

Okla-homey
7/21/2007, 06:55 PM
Yup she sounds Like a great lady rats on having her
I was raised up in the 50s an 60s . 5 Kids at home , I know f my Momma hadnt raised a garden and Canned everything she got her hands . we would have went hungry thru the winter , Dad worked construction and those times were lean as hell . Didnt have Welfare and food stamps back then . I dont think ? if it was my folks were to proud to find out .

I don't recall ever going hungry, and Mom said food stamps were for "poor people down on their luck who couldn't work." IOW, not us. ;)

Newbomb Turk
7/21/2007, 06:59 PM
my dad talks about how they had nothing when he grew up in the 40's. His dad died when he was in the 8th grade, so my dad quit school and went to work at the feed yard. He talked about how his mom had a garden and raised chickens in the yard. He still says he hates chicken cause thats the only meat they ever ate.

8th grade edumacation and my pop went on to own a construction company and be very successful.

sorry for the sorta threadjack homey.

olevetonahill
7/21/2007, 06:59 PM
I don't recall ever going hungry, and Mom said food stamps were for "poor people down on their luck who couldn't work." IOW, not us. ;)
I know the type well .
I never heard of Food stamps till I was married and Noticed the price of Vittles goin sky high .

olevetonahill
7/21/2007, 07:02 PM
my dad talks about how they had nothing when he grew up in the 40's. His dad died when he was in the 8th grade, so my dad quit school and went to work at the feed yard. He talked about how his mom had a garden and raised chickens in the yard. He still says he hates chicken cause thats the only meat they ever ate.

8th grade edumacation and my pop went on to own a construction company and be very successful.

sorry for the sorta threadjack homey.
That aint a thread jack My friend we be Honoring The folks that came up the hard way

My dad was born in 1918 , 6 months later his Dad died in that Flu epidemic . . H e was raised thru the depression . I remember him tellin me about dragin his waggon out to some farmers field and buying Cabbages . then going thru town pedalin em fer a nickle a piece

Okla-homey
7/21/2007, 07:05 PM
I'll tell ya one damb thing. When Mom bought that window air conditioner at Montgomery Wards in 1969 when I was 9, I was one happy little Okie. She put it in the window in the front room. She made a pallet on the floor and us kids slept under that thing that whole summer. Mom slept on the couch.

It was wonderful. Refrigerated air. From a box my Mom bought because she loved us and was tired of watching us sweat at night.

Newbomb Turk
7/21/2007, 07:06 PM
makes you realize how well off most of us are now.

Okla-homey
7/21/2007, 07:08 PM
makes you realize how well off most of us are now.

You ain't sh1ttin' bro.

olevetonahill
7/21/2007, 07:10 PM
I'll tell ya one damb thing. When Mom bought that window air conditioner at Montgomery Wards in 1969 when I was 9, I was one happy little Okie. She put it in the window in the front room. She made a pallet on the floor and us kids slept under that thing that whole summer. Mom slept on the couch.
Dude I remember when we traveled from Cal back here to visit the Granparents , Crossin that dayum desert on ole 66 . WE got a Water cooler for the Car . Dayum had to stop every 50 miles or so an fill it with water from the water bags on the front bumber :D
Good times

Okla-homey
7/21/2007, 08:15 PM
Dude I remember when we traveled from Cal back here to visit the Granparents , Crossin that dayum desert on ole 66 . WE got a Water cooler for the Car . Dayum had to stop every 50 miles or so an fill it with water from the water bags on the front bumber :D
Good times

My grandpaw had one of those. Basically a swamp cooler for the car. It sat under the radio on the drive shaft hump. He plugged it into the ciggy lighter, or may have wired it in under the dash. You filled its tank with water (and ice if possible) and its three speed fan blew the cooled air through vents into the car's interior. Good times indeed.:D

olevetonahill
7/21/2007, 08:40 PM
My grandpaw had one of those. Basically a swamp cooler for the car. It sat under the radio on the drive shaft hump. He plugged it into the ciggy lighter, or may have wired it in under the dash. You filled its tank with water (and ice if possible) and its three speed fan blew the cooled air through vents into the car's interior. Good times indeed.:D
Naw the one Im talkin about was a window unit . Ya filled it up with water cranked the window up on and drove . Thw wind turn the fan and the fan picked up the water !

StoopTroup
7/21/2007, 09:03 PM
My Grandmother raised my Father and my Aunt by herself after my Grandfather left her. Grandpa burned the Family house for the Insurance money and started up a bar. It went OK until the town started growing in a different direction. When business started falling off...I think he felt he'd ruined everything and he left.

Grandma worked hard and ended up owning and running her own grocery while raising Dad and my Aunt. Dad put himself through College and Med School.

Grandma taught me how to play poker and some other card games. She took care of me when I was 2 until I was about 5. Good Times.

I'll always have great thoughts of her in my life. She was as tough as they come.

olevetonahill
7/21/2007, 09:06 PM
To the Old folks that Carried thru
SALUT

Turd_Ferguson
7/21/2007, 09:56 PM
My Grandpa was 4 years old in the land run of 89. He and his parents claimed some land in Lexington and built their house there. He died when I was 6, but I remember spending lots of summer nights with my bro, sisters & cousins sleepn in the lving room with that huge *** swamp cooler that set on the front porch blowing on us. Grandma would tell me to go put water in it, and I'd catch one of my cousins with their face next to the vent. Aim the water at the squirrel wheel, and you'd soak'm. Those were good times that IMO, it is unfortunate that the young kids nowadays don't get to experience. I'm glad I did.

StoopTroup
7/22/2007, 03:41 AM
So....

You liked getting squirted in the face?

:pop: