PDA

View Full Version : FBI set to arrest NBA Referee for fixing games...

colleyvillesooner
7/20/2007, 09:16 AM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07202007/news/columnists/nba_in_a_fix_columnists_murray_weiss.htm

July 20, 2007 -- THE FBI is investigating an NBA referee who allegedly was betting on basketball games - including ones he was officiating during the past two seasons - as part of an organized-crime probe in the Big Apple, The Post has learned.

The investigation, which began more than a year ago, is zeroing in on blockbuster allegations that the referee was making calls that affected the point spread to guarantee that he - and the hoods who had their hooks in him - cashed in on large bets.

Federal agents are set to arrest the referee and a cadre of mobsters and their associates who lined their pockets, sources said.

"These are dangerous people [the referee] was involved with," a source said.

One source close to the probe counted the number of games on which the ref and his wiseguy buddies scored windfalls in the "double digits."

NBA Commissioner David Stern is aware of the investigation and has a report about the referee on his desk, another source said.

The official, whose name was withheld, allegedly wagered on games during the 2005-06 and 2006-07 NBA seasons.

James Margolin, an FBI spokesman, declined comment on the latest black eye for professional sports.

The sources indicated the referee apparently had a gambling problem, slipped into debt and fell prey to mob thugs.

"That's how he got himself into this predicament" by wagering with mob-connected bookies, one source said.

Professional basketball has remained largely unscathed by allegations of game-fixing, although college basketball has been rocked by several scandals involving point-shaving by players, but not officials.

One of the most recent was a Boston College point-shaving scam arranged in the 1980s by mobster Henry Hill, who bribed several players. Hill later became a government informant, and his life was depicted in the movie "GoodFellas."

Having a referee in their pockets provides a two-fold bonanza to game fixers.

Gamblers would be able to directly cash in by betting on games where they knew the point spread was compromised.

But having a ref in their pocket could prove even more lucrative to crooks in a bookmaking syndicate.

Bookmakers hope to encourage an equal amount of betting on each team and make their money on the "vigorish," which is typically 10 percent of a losing bet.

But armed with the inside information, the bookmaking syndicate could set an artificial point spread that would encourage large "layoff" bets from other bookies carrying too much action on one team, that were likely now to lose.

An FBI organized-crime squad in the bureau's flagship New York office is handling the case, but the referee traveled the country officiating various games on which he allegedly bet.

It was not determined which games were allegedly affected by the referee's actions, or how much money may have been won by him and his cohorts.

The FBI got wind of the scheme while conducting a separate mob investigation.

The most prominent American sport- gambling scandal in recent history involved Cincinnati Reds manager Pete Rose, who was banned from baseball in 1989 for betting on his own team.

Based largely on testimony of two Rose associates, Ron Peters and Paul Janszen, Major League Baseball determined that from 1985 through 1987, Rose bet on baseball, including 52 Reds games in 1987, at a minimum of $10,000 a game.

All of Rose's bets on Cincinnati were to win.

Please let it be last year's Finals... ;)

OUDoc
7/20/2007, 09:18 AM
Next on the FBI agenda, PAC-10 football officials.

Beef
7/20/2007, 09:19 AM
Can't wait to see Mark Cuban's reaction to this.

GrapevineSooner
7/20/2007, 09:23 AM
Bennett Salvatore?

TheHumanAlphabet
7/20/2007, 09:51 AM
Can't wait to see Mark Cuban's reaction to this.

Especially if it turns out the ref called him for a "T" or threw him out...

Mongo
7/20/2007, 09:55 AM

The guy who did that should be elected president:D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/20/2007, 09:58 AM
Next on the FBI agenda, NCAA football officials.FIXED

colleyvillesooner
7/20/2007, 10:14 AM
Bennett Salvatore?

That was my first guess! :D

GrapevineSooner
7/20/2007, 10:30 AM

Cuban is an owner.

And while I think there should be a rule that allows refs to call techs on owners or eject them, currently, there is no such rule.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/20/2007, 11:29 AM
I thought he was thrown out of some games? Or was he just baned from attending by the league?

Suerreal
7/20/2007, 11:31 AM
The NBA couldn't be so lucky as to have it be Joey Crawford, could they?

Nice if all your bad apples turn out to be the same jerk.

Scott D
7/20/2007, 12:00 PM
The NBA couldn't be so lucky as to have it be Joey Crawford, could they?

Nice if all your bad apples turn out to be the same jerk.

that would be the most ironic part of all in my opinion.

However, I'm thinking it can't be Crawford, because the article hints at it being an active ref, not one that got the boot.

Suerreal
7/20/2007, 01:12 PM
Is Crawford gone? Last I heard, he had been suspended through the 2007 playoffs.

- Sue

Scott D
7/20/2007, 01:18 PM
Stern said it sounded unlikely that Crawford would return based upon the conversation they had when he suspended him.

Taxman71
7/20/2007, 01:19 PM
The relationships NBA refs have with the players combined with basketball being the easiest sport to manipulate re: point shaving/fixing makes this case a long time coming. Not sure if the NBA has a rule prohibiting off the court contact, gifts, etc. between refs and players, but they definitely should. The last couple of years Jordan was with the Bulls were hard to watch as the pro-Jordan bias made it painful to watch...........paging Bryon Russell.

tulsaoilerfan
7/20/2007, 01:37 PM
Can't say this would surprise me as NBA refs are the worst in all of sports.

colleyvillesooner
7/20/2007, 02:14 PM
Looks like the name is out:

http://espn.go.com/photo/2007/0720/nba_g_tdonaghy_65.jpg
Tim Donaghy

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2943095

GrapevineSooner
7/20/2007, 02:24 PM
Bill Simmons offers this commentary (http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/index?name=simmons&entryDate=20070514) on his fine work in Game 3 of the Spurs-Suns series.

Congratulations to Greg Willard, Tim Donaghy and Eddie F. Rush for giving us the most atrociously officiated game of the playoffs so far: Game 3 of the Suns-Spurs series. Bennett Salvatore, Tom Washington and Violet Palmer must have been outraged that they weren't involved in this mess. Good golly. Most of the calls favored the Spurs, but I don't even think the refs were biased -- they were so incompetent that there was no rhyme or reason to anything that was happening. Other than the latest call in NBA history (a shooting foul for Ginobili whistled three seconds after the play, when everyone was already running in the other direction), my favorite moment happened near the end, when the game was already over and they called a cheap bump on Bruce Bowen against Nash, so the cameras caught Mike D'Antoni (the most entertaining coach in the league if he's not getting calls) screaming sarcastically, "Why start now? Why bother?" What a travesty. Not since the cocaine era from 1978-1986 has the league faced a bigger ongoing issue than crappy officiating.

Donaghy also reffed Game 3 of the Mavs-Warriors series. Before Dallas fans get their dander up, the Warriors won this one in an 18-point blowout.

Beef
7/20/2007, 02:28 PM
Donaghy also reffed Game 3 of the Mavs-Warriors series. Before Dallas fans get their dander up, the Warriors won this one in an 18-point blowout.
:texan: BECAUSE THE FIX WAS ON!!!!!!!

colleyvillesooner
7/20/2007, 02:33 PM
From his wikipedia (could be fake, anyone hear this today?)

In a live radio broadcast on July 20, 2007, ESPN writer Marc Stein reported that Donaghy was working a side job as time keeper in the Game 5 of the 2004 Western Conference Semifinals between the San Antonio Spurs and the Los Angeles Lakers, where Derek Fisher made the winning shot with .4 of a second left on the clock. Stein says Donaghy had bet $20,000 on the Lakers, and started the clock .2 seconds late, enabling Fisher to make the game winning shot.

NormanPride
7/20/2007, 02:36 PM
*trying not to explode*

GrapevineSooner
7/20/2007, 02:47 PM

Rumor has it, he was also the timekeeper on January 20th, 2003, at a particular Big 12 basketball game. ;)

colleyvillesooner
7/20/2007, 02:48 PM
heh

sanantoniosooner
7/20/2007, 06:19 PM
Then you could put an * by the Pistons championship;)

I'm still bitter about that play, but I would actually feel better to know it was fixed and not just a crappy call. If the Spurs had won that game, we wouldn't hear that crap about "no back to back" championships.

Scott D
7/20/2007, 06:23 PM
to be honest, I wouldn't trust a same day wikipedia entry at all.

John Kochtoston
7/20/2007, 09:48 PM
Don't home teams provide the timekeepers, scorekeepers, etc.? I know that they used to, but that may have changed

soonerboomer93
7/20/2007, 10:03 PM
Would the nba's last fan please remember to turn off the lights when they finally leave???

SoonerDood
7/20/2007, 10:09 PM
totally shocked it's not Dick Bavetta